on September 17, 2013
I purchased the Moto X as an upgrade from my Galaxy S3. I shopped it against the Galaxy S4, Note 3, iPhone 5S, HTC One X, and 2013 Droid Maxx.

My smart phone history is iPhone->iPhone 3GS->HTC Thunderbolt 4G->Samsung GS3->Moto X. I've also used my wife's HTC 8X extensively.

I'm a fairly advanced user, working largely in the IT field. I've rooted phones in the past, but haven't bothered since the later releases of Verizon's S3 ROMs caught up with most of what I was wanting. I don't expect to root the Moto X. I'm also fairly hard on phones, doing warranty or extended warranty replacements about once a year, usually for a cracked screen or water damage. I run and bike with them in an armband or bike mount, and they often get sweat on, and occasionally get dropped.

When looking for a new phone, I wanted something with good battery life, was VERY responsive, and that felt good to hold and use. I went through three S3's in various states of ROM's, mostly from Verizon, and was never fully satisfied with how responsive or reliable the phone was. After years of using these things, I've finally figured out that I'm just not going to play games on my phone, and that 90% of what I'm going to do is news, audio, e-mail, calendar, notes, text, diet/exercise tracking, camera/video, and social media. Less frequently, I do techie things like RDP, run network tools, use office apps, check IP cameras. Occasionally, I'll watch Netflix or read Kindle. I say all of this so you understand my use model and how it relates to my review. There are a lot of different ways to use phones and reasons to choose them, so the way I use mine heavily informs my opinion. My app list: MyNetDiary, Endomondo, Evernote, Maps, Email, Gmail, USA Today, Audible, Spotify, DoggCatcher, Engadget, reddit is fun, Facebook, Better Terminal Emulator, PocketCloud, Skype, Ping&DNS, WeatherBug, IMDB, Amazon, Kindle, Netflix, Pandora, NFL Mobile.

My principle complaint with the S3 was battery life, followed by lagginess and reboots. It is a relative complaint, because both were far better than the Thunderbolt that came before it.

My top two choices for new phones were the Note 3 and Moto X - two very different phones. The S4, to me, didn't differentiate itself enough from the S3 to get me excited about it. I've used it and have friends that purchased it, and it seems to be a good phone - more responsive than the S3, with better battery life. Despite that, it was an incremental improvement, and I wasn't very interested in any of its new gee-whiz tricks, such as motion navigation or eye tracking, and they didn't seem to work very well in practice.

The Note 3 was attractive to me due to it's high spec sheet, long battery life, and better ability to do 'real work' via its pen and larger, higher res screen. Ultimately, however, I decided real world performance for my apps (noted above) was more important than specs, and I also decided that my remote real work set (primarily e-mail composition, spreadsheet edits, network tests, and remote RDP sessions) was too small a part of my use case to merit the extra size of the Note 3. The size was particularly a concern when wearing on an arm band for running and gym work and for one handed operation. I also have a 7" tablet, and a 13" convertible ultrabook, which further minimized the need for a larger screen phone.

So that leads, finally, to the Moto X. Here are some things I really like about it, in order of importance to me, after about a week of use. Some of these points may also apply to other phones - I'm not saying they are exclusive to the Moto X, but they are what is most noticeable/important to me after a week's use.

Long battery life - I like to go on long, 7+ hour bike rides while tracking with Endomondo and streaming music. The GS3 died after about 5 hours, and this one makes it with power to spare. If I take it off the charger at 6:30 AM, and plug it in for bed at 11 PM, it has about 20% left after a day of normal use for me (mostly reading Reddit at lunch doing email and text throughout the day, and maybe an hour or so of other misc use of the apps above). I also play audio (Audible, DoggCatcher, or Spotify) from it for about 90 minutes a day during my drive.

Feel in hand - I got used to the GS3, and sometimes appreciated the larger size (such as if watching the rare Netflix item or using RDP), but didn't ever like the long thumb reach for one handed use. The Moto X feels PERFECT to me. I like the weight, the grip, and the reach. This one is pretty subjective, so I suggest holding one in a store if you can.

Rock solid up time and no operation lag - This may be partly due to my relatively limited app set, to the faster processor in this phone, or to the new Android build on this phone, but whatever it is, I like it. Everything happens instantly, without stutter, and that is what I want.

Low power background alert system - I didn't realize I would like this as much as I do, but I really like the way the phone puts alerts (e-mail, text, message, alarm) on the screen with swipe up to view, left to clear, and down to unlock actions. It is efficient.

App for texting on laptop - I'm sure there are other 3rd party apps that do this, but it was built in to the Moto X, and is the first time I've done it. With the Chrome plugin installed, all of my texts and calls pop up on my laptop while at work. This works well with my work flow so that I can quickly copy and paste information form there into Outlook or other documents that I am working on.

Made a few miles from my house - As someone who works in domestic manufacturing, I appreciate the challenge that Google/Flextronics/Motorola undertook when scaling the old Nokia plant up in such short order to build 100,000 of these a week. The phone didn't cost me more than an S4 would have, and I like it that it was made in Ft. Worth, TX, USA.

Continuous voice recognition - This is by far the best voice recognition I've used on any product. That said, it still hasn't made it into my daily work flow. I have to think too much about how to phrase my commands when I want it to do things and usually still have to look at the screen to OK or approve whatever it wants to know. I still put it on the list, because I am impressed with what it CAN do and because it is useful for dictating texts and e-mails, but it COULD be a game changing feature, and it still isn't quite there yet for me. The continuous listening aspect is dead on for me, with zero false positives or need to initiate recognition manually. Cool.

If I didn't mention a feature in this list, it doesn't mean it was bad, it just means it didn't stand out or wasn't important to me. The camera, for example, was adequate but didn't strike me as significantly better or different from the S3 or other phones I've used - then again, I've only used it for a few test photos. Most of my camera use is work related, and I tend to use a DSLR for family stuff. The flick action for launching the camera isn't 100% reliable and has both failed to go off when I've tried to use it and gone off intentionally in my pocket when not, so I do it manually. I like the screen, but would have preferred 1080p. Overall though, it has good brightness and viewing angles, and I think it was a good compromise if it helped get the battery life where it is. I haven't really noticed a difference in call quality across my entire phone history mentioned above. IMO, they all suck, and Verizon can't roll out HD voice soon enough. Music quality is good, but I can't tell a difference from the others.

I'll try to answer questions if you have them. I like this phone and would like to see it do well. The mobile industry needs more than two strong players - competition is good for all of us.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2013
**Original Posted Sep 5 on the AT&T Moto X page as a VZW specific page did not exist**

To start with, I have the Verizon Moto X - your network experience may vary, but the phone hardware/software are still relevant.

This is absolutely the best Android phone, and I'd say simply best mobile phone, to date.

Since the Galaxy Nexus, I'm convinced that the plain, unmodified Android 4.x OS is the best way to experience an Android phone. The plain OS is fast, and elegant in design. Unfortunately, the Galaxy Nexus hardware was a bit flakey and dated, and the Moto X was the closest to a Nexus phone I can get for VZW. There are a few Motorola specific apps preinstalled, but they are worth it when viewing the phone as a complete system.

First, the phone itself - I love the design - the size, curve, feel and weight are just right. Even though it's not a hyped up metal case, the phone feels solid and fits nicely in the hand (I've actually had a hard time putting it down). The default Black "weave" color looks awesome. The phone is slightly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus, and shows that the trend of bigger smart phones does not equate to a "better" smartphone - just bigger. The display is certainly large enough, and looks very sharp and bright. More importanly, the Moto X fits easily in any pocket, and likely just about any hand. The phone is very responsive and quick at the OS, application, and network levels (especially if using wireless AC). Voice recognition is spot on, and works even when the phone is "sleeping". Battery life with general usage seems at least enough to last through most of a day - the battery isn't removable, but it's slightly larger than the "extended" life battery I had in the Galaxy Nexus, and the phone has been lasting between charges longer than the Nexus with the extended battery did.

This is truly a "smart" phone unlike most others with that name. Using various sensors, hardware, and applications, the phone knows its position, orientation, location, speed, and will change how it functions based on programming and user-input. For instance, The Assist application allows you to set your sleep times, and the phone can then be configured to not ring, or only allow "favorite" contacts to ring during this time. When the phone senses it's in a vehicle, it automatically kicks into a "driving" mode, where you can configure Assist for things such as a autoresponse that you are driving and will message back, and read text messages/caller IDs to you. A meeting mode will examine your calendar info, and provide you with automatic silencing of phone sounds and other options. Especially useful for meetings is the Active Notifications functions - keep the phone face-up, and you'll get silent notifications on the lock screen that you can discreetly access with a single touch (turn the phone face down and the Active Notification feature turns off). The Moto X also can tell if it's in a pocket and turn off Active Notifications to save battery life.

Voice control is a key part of this phone - you can easily speak to the phone (even in sleep mode) to place a call, send text messages, get information, schedule appointments - just about any basic function of the phone can be accessed via voice commands. Siri? Who the heck is Siri? :)

I've used plenty of mobile phones and "smart" phones over the past 15 years (Motorola, Qualcomm, Sony, Kyocera, HTC, Samsung, Blackberry, among others). I took a close look at current VZW offerings (Nokia Lumina, HTC One, new Motorola Droids), and I am confident in saying that the Moto X is the best phone I've used or "test drove".

Update - Sep 11, 2013.

I'm really, really impressed with the battery life on this phone. I've been letting it (or trying to let it) run down to 10% or less before charging (which probably isn't necessary, but I'm an old school battery memory guy), and have been getting to 36+ hours between charges so far. My use is usually about an hour talk time, various text/messenger messages, facebook browsing, playing with the voice commands, email push updates, and for the first few days, download/configuration of various apps.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2013
My take on the phone after using it for a day or so.

I am a google fanboy. I have google tattooed on my forearm. I really really wanted this phone to be a stopping point on my endless search for MORE. More power. More ram. More gimmicks. So i bit the bullet and ordered my moto x on verizon.com partly due to finding a 50 dollar coupon Verizon30.

Speed wise. this thing is smooth. All actions feel extremely quick and responsive. This will be more than perfect for 90% of the people who will undoubtedly purchase this phone.

aesthetically this phone is quite nice. the backing with its little Motorola indent is really nice to hold. it feels soft but durable. its actually quite a pleasure to use for any amount of time.

The screen looks so much more vibrant than my galaxy nexus. and the active display i find to be actually useful. The screen only turns on the pixels it needs to display your notifications so it doesnt use as much battery life as youd think

I Felt i should mention the NO SD Card Slot. I always thought this would bother me. But after the Galaxy nexus i found that i really didnt need it. In a age of subscriptions. I currently have Spotify, Netflix, SiriusXm, and Google All Access, i just dont store that much on my phone or the stuff i fill it with i hardly ever use more of a security blanket in those scarce offline times.

"ALMOST" stock android experience. This is one of the unspoken heros of this phone. Although Verizon has installed their typical bloatware. Motorola itself has not messed with too much. I would have preferred STOCK. this is seriously the next best thing .

Active Display. I love active display. for those who dont know active display is the automatic updates that get displayed on your screen while the phones in standby. With active display only turning on the pixels it needs to display the relevant information it barely uses any battery life. This is one feature i dont know how i will live without in the future.

Now to my gripes.

And Second. and this is completely VERIZONS fault. and was almost a reason to switch to ATT. MOTOMAKER!!. Motomaker felt like a breathe of fresh air. being able to customize almost every detail of the outside of your phone. This felt important to me. It inspired faith in Motorola and in Google. it Screamed unique! BUT of course as usual, Verizon botches everything. Is it really worth it to wait 4 months after a phone comes out to customize it. a phone might i add that has mid level specs.

Verizon really needs to get there butts in gear. i feel like they have screwed up every launch of every flashship phone in years. Either they don't have it in stores. or they don't update it. or they just plain ole don't have it period.

Understand that this is the sum of all averages type of phone. The Peoples Phone. Mid level specs. Mid level build quality. MID LEVEL. it is perfect for the bulk of the market. A phone id get my parents and trust they'd be fine. For someone who uses there phone for more than that 2 texts a day and a phone call to the pizza guy at night. You might want to wait for something else or at the very least the price to drop to something like $150/contract - $450/off

The last thing i would like to mention is Motorola's track record with their software updates. They have been notoriously bad and we have yet to see if Motorola under the Ownership of Google will have any affect on that.

UPDATE: Hell has frozen over. Motorola just updated the moto x to kitkat. Only 3 weeks after kitkat came out. Extremely impressive considering that one it was on verizon and two my girlfriends nexus 4 still hasnt been upgraded.

UPDATE : Original Phone had a bad proximity sensor. So anytime I would make a call the screen would shut off and no matter what I would do would get it to turn the screen back on.. And thus you couldnt end a call or get to the dialpad. Also because there is no removable battery there was no way (to my knowledge) to turn off the phone to reset it. (UPDATE) A FRIENDLY COMMENTER BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT HOLDING DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR 10 SECONDS WILL POWER DOWN THE PHONE)

Verizon did send me a brand new phone which works perfectly and gets much better battery life. i am now getting 17 hours of use on a normal day.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2013
My take on the phone after using it for a day or so.

In short it fell short of some of my critical expectations.

Now to my gripes.

First is battery. This phone was touted to be one of the most efficient phones on the market with its specially designed hardware. It is not what i expected at all. While the always listening chip is great. and actually works well. The battery life is no better than any other phone ive seen on the market. i say this because most phones in which have the highest complaints also have the ability to remove the battery and add a bigger one. THIS phone does not have that option. and thus is crippling to someone who was expecting at least 18-20 hours on above average use. with sending a few text messages throughout the day and listening to a album or two on all access i got about 8 1/2 - 9 hours. This may be ok for most. but i believe a phone should be able to make it a full day.Especially this one with its "ENERGY SAVING Chipset and Screen." In the day and age where outlets and usb ports are everywhere we look, there is still something unnerving knowing that you better bring your charger wherever you go just in case. <------See End of Review for update on Battery ---->

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 20, 2013
Coming from a Galaxy Nexus, I was concerned about leaving the pure Google experience for something else. Other things that I was concerned about coming over to this phone were the radios, battery life, etc.

I'm deeply pleased to say that despite my potential concerns, this is the best phone I've ever owned.

The battery life of this phone is consistently over 1 day, the system never stutters despite having a less-than-cutting-edge processor, the contextual processors are really cool (the pulsing feature is especially helpful and very useful) and the things like twist to camera are very nice touches. I would also think that further updates in the future will further enhance the experience.

Things to be critical about -- the "ok google now" commands don't work super well if you've got a keypad lock on your phone (which is, of course, expected). The camera could stand for some serious software improvements (which are coming), but it's still a little sub-par. Yes, it does not have 4.3 (soon to be 4.4) installed, but the "big features" like low-power BT and filesystem trim are backported to this 4.2 version, so I earnestly don't think there's a ton to complain about. Of course, this is Verizon, so I'm sure there will be an update sometime around 2015.

Things to be baffled about (short list) -- There's no photosphere for the camera natively. I have no earthly idea why this is not included in the default camera, particularly since its been part of the ecosphere for about a year now.

In short, my primary concerns around speed and battery life have been absolute non-issues. I would easily stack this up against the iPhone 5 in every sense (minus the camera). This device sponsors a "vendor skinning" that is not obtrusive or annoying; it's useful and complimentary. The best phone I've ever owned.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2013
Please note you can get this phone at verizon.com for 30% off ($140). Use coupon code verizon30. This also works for some other phones.

OK, so you got this far to look at reviews. I have had this phone for 4 days and think it is an excellent phone. Some background; previous phones are Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4s. I researched and looked in detail at the Galaxy S4, Droid Maxx, HTC One, iPhone 5s and LG G2. I ended up with this phone because of the size and still has an excellent 4.7" display, the built quality and feel in the hand, excellent battery life, stock Android with some really useful add on features.

After being very frustrated with the battery life and lag on the S3 I decided it was time to upgrade. All the phones I mentioned are good phones. They are all noticeable larger than the Moto X. With the exception of the 5s which has a 4" screen which I feel is just too small. The Moto X has better battery life than all but the Droid Maxx and LG G2. I get a day and a half with average usage. This varies for everyone. The Verizon version of the G2 is not that good because they redesigned the rear buttons in order to put in wireless charging. This along with the LG UI and not being sure how the LG will do in the market and provide timely updates removed it off my list. And with my demand for a long battery life that eliminated all the others except the Droid Maxx. The Maxx and X are very similar phones. The Maxx does have the best battery life but it is larger and heavier with the 5" screen and extended battery. If you are fine with that or prefer the larger screen that may be the way to go. I felt the size and feel of the Moto X was better for me in comparison so I choose the Moto X.

The negatives of the Moto X are that it is only available with 16GB at this time and it is sealed so you cannot add not add an SD card or change the battery. The Maxx is also sealed but has 32GB. This was not a deal breaker for me. My plan was that if I was disappointed with the Moto X battery I would exchange (14 days) for the Maxx. So far I have been very impressed with the battery life. I have read some reviews that have complained about the call quality and the camera quality. I have not had issues with either. There is also an update to the camera software that will fix some of the issues that people complained about. The call quality and speakerphone have been good for me. It does have an excellent speaker. Maybe not as good as the HTC One but plenty good.

The additional features include the active notifications (screen blinks every 5 seconds to show notifications, Motorola Assist (detects when you are driving and changes settings accordingly), Motorola connect (you can see you calls and texts from your computer and respond), and hands free Google Now (you can access Google Now hands free and it will do various functions like calls, calendar events and Google searches). You can read more about these functions on the various reviews of the Moto X and new Droids.

Hope this was helpful and feel free to ask any questions. Thx.

An update (10-15-13): Still very happy with phone and the battery has been great and it charges quickly. I did notice that the screen can be difficult to see in sunlight. The auto brightness does not adjust well when outside, you will need to go into setting and turn up the brightness. Not a deal breaker for me. I was also going to recommend the case I got from Amazon but it is no longer on Amazon. It is nice if you want a very thin case with a good grip (Areser Ultra Thin Slim Fit Quicksand Hard Case + Free Stylus Pen for Moto X Phone (Sold by Areser Trade)).
on December 15, 2013
I purchased this from Moto Maker (on Verizon, the only difference is the radios so this is relevant) during their holiday sale where the off contract price came down to $350. Since I've had this phone for a while now, and I am now equipped to write my review. I wrote one for the Galaxy Nexus(GNex) after that was released since I bought it the day it came out and my review received nearly 200 votes (mostly helpful), so it seems like people found my review useful. I've posted this review for all the different carrier variants since the hardware and software are all the same except for radios.

Hardware Design

The design of this phone is truly one to appreciate. The fact that I was able to customize the look of mine is not the reason I say that. I can say that this phone does not feel like you're holding an iPhone or a Samsung or any other phone for that matter. It does not feel cheaply made (and being made in the US, it isn't!). It had just enough weight and the part on the outside, don't feel like plastic like most Samsung phones. Don't get me wrong, Samsung makes very good phones, but they all feel cheap, but that's my opinion and others feel the same way. I happen to think the Moto X has a premium feel compared to my old GNex

The screen is much more enjoyable than my Gnex was. This is not to say that I didn't like the screen on my GNex because I did, but the colors seem better on the Moto X. Every user will have a different opinion though. Many people like the IPS Retina display on the iPhone and the best comparison to that is the LG G2, which has a great screen. The AMOLED screen on the Moto X is very good for me though.

Continuing with the design near the screen, the rounded edges all around the front of the phone actually feel great. What do I mean by that? Since this screen is truly edge to edge, if you find yourself swiping from the edges a lot, you won't feel the sharpness an edge usually feels like.

The mic is on the front of the screen and very noticeable, so when using speaker phone and turn the phone face down to have the speaker facing up, it results in the other person hearing an echo. Didn't have that problem with my GNex, but that is probably because the mic was not very visible on the bottom.

I do have a gripe about the design of two things though. Perhaps it's because I'm used to have my GNex, but have the volume rocker and the power button on the same side (the right side), feels awkward to me. But Samsung has it correct in my eyes with the volume rocker on the left side and the power button on the right side. The other thing for me is having the micro USB port on the bottom of the phone and the headphone jack on the top. I don't like this part AT ALL. For those that don't have cars that have Bluetooth Streaming, this creates cord clutter. However, there are times where having the headphone jack on the top can be nice. For example, as a runner I take my phone with me on runs and use headphones. Since the cord doesn't need to go to the bottom of the phone that can make that experience better.

Software

The first Android phone I had was the Galaxy Nexus. So why do I say that here in this review. Well, I've experienced the software of other android phone through demo units and phones of friends. I don't like skinned versions of Android like what Samsung does to Android on their Galaxy phones. I do truly enjoy the stock Android experience. The Android experience is nearly stock android. There are some small Moto tweaks, but otherwise, it's the experience I enjoy.

Active Notifications are truly awesome! Yes, this falls under software. Now what is that? Well instead of a notification light, a portion of the screen turns on when you have a notification, telling you exactly what app the notification is from. You can pick and choose what apps you want to show notifications through this feature. Now you might be wondering is the screen continuously shows this notification until you dismiss it. Well, you can dismiss it if you want to, but you can preview the notification and see if it's an email or a text or whatever app.

Now for Touchless control. Some people may find this to be a gimmick, but it's actually not bad. I use it when in the car to make phone calls. That's about it, though occasionally, saying "OK Google Now, what's the forecast for today" is easier than launching an app. (call me lazy for that, it's true haha).

Battery Life

I have been putting my phone through test of my everyday usage. That includes, streaming music in my car, using Google Maps for traffic conditions to and from work, texting, calling, checking personal and work emails, checking Facebook, taking the occasional picture and then some sports-related stuff too. I would imagine the average user might use their phone as much as I do in a typical day. Now, the verdict...it's very good. I was shocked at how well the battery lasted. I got more than a full day's worth of usage out of it (wake up at 5am to sleep at 10pm). That's 17 hours for me. That means most people should be able to get a full day's worth out of this phone before plugging in before going to sleep. Moto really did a fantastic job of optimizing the software, processor and screen to maximize battery life.

Camera

Truthfully, I haven't taken enough pictures to give a great assessment of this, but coming from my GNex, this takes far better pictures. The pictures I've taken have been in great lighting conditions and the pictures have come out great. If you want to get a good idea on the performance, you can google reviews. Keep in mind when this phone first came out, the camera wasn't great, but that was due to the camera processing software. They have fixed that. Droid-Life has samples of the before and after. They show that Moto fixed this. It's a 10MP shooter and should be good enough for everyone's every day camera taking needs.

Other

Through moto maker the phone came with Android 4.2.2. I have not upgraded to 4.4 yet becaue from what I've seen in forums, in 4.4, Verizon is able to block tethering for those who still have unlimited data (like me). I'm holding off on installing the update for now.
on November 25, 2013
Overall I have been very happy with this phone and would highly recommend it. This is a great Android phone for an unbeatable price. I have been using it for about 10 days now since purchase. I'll hit a few things here that I like and a few areas for improvement. The four stars is simply because I have suggestions for improvement that should be implemented. My previous phone was a Motorola Droid 4, so any comparisons are to that.

General Use/UI:
The almost stock android is great. The UI is very quick and has not locked up on me. There's no visible indication at all that this phone is not at the top of the specs. My Droid 4 would occasionally have trouble keeping up on the UI.

Physical Design
Coming from the Droid 4 which was thick due to the physical keyboard, this phone is MUCH thinner and somewhat lighter. It feels good in the hand. The screen size is just right to handle with one hand, and the power and volume buttons are also located well for one handed operation. Fingerprints don't show on the back and are easily wiped off the screen. Overall seems sturdy and well constructed, though I'm a little concerned about the volume and power buttons eventually having problems.

Camera:
After figuring out the gesture to unlock the phone (twisting wrist twice) I have found this feature to be very nice and has always activated the camera very quickly. Camera images and video are of comparable or better quality than my Droid 4, but the camera app is MUCH faster to activate.

Active Display
I thought I would have no use for this feature and would disable it, but I've found it's kind of nice to be able to pick up the phone and then unlock it without having to find and press the power button. You can also go straight to a notification from the active display, but if you have a pattern lock or pass code you still have to enter that, kind of defeating the purpose of it. I have noticed that the active display does seem to turn on more often than it should (sitting in a locker at the gym, sitting on my leg while driving, etc) but it does not appear to have a serious impact on battery life.

Battery Life
I'm pretty impressed so far. It gets through a whole day of moderate use (which for me means a bunch of texting, checking Facebook and twitter several times, and running some other apps several times). Usually by the end of the day (starting at 8:30am and being ready to plug in at 10:30pm) I'm hovering in the 20-30% range. I am on Wifi for a large part of my day, and I know that helps. I did notice what I thought was more significant battery drain in a low signal environment (leaving it in my gym locker), but worked around it by connecting to a nearby open wifi network. I'll be very curious to see how the battery holds its ability to charge after 12-18 months.

Moto Connect
This is a very useful addition for those who are in class (like me) and want to see who's calling or who texted without having to check their phone. However, it needs some work. I had some initial trouble getting it set up (had to go activate it on the phone, it looked like it was going to suggest it to me at some point soon). It also frequently does not sync correctly and has to be re-opened on the computer to force it (this usually happens after I send a message, the message I sent doesn't show up for a few minutes on the computer, but sends immediately from the phone). That being said, I haven't had it fail to send or receive messages yet. It cannot handle multi-media messages, only SMS. I also don't like that it's integrated into Chrome, but Google made it so I guess I can't blame them. Most of the problems with this seem to be on the Chrome side, not with the phone, and I would expect these to be fixed without having to change out the phone.

Voice Activation
I've found this kind of nice, the phone wakes up about 75% of the time when I use the wake up phrase. When it does, it does a good job of recognizing my voice and what I want it to do. Setting reminders using this is awesome. So is asking it to call someone or text someone. My one big complaint about this is that if you have a lock of some kind (I use a pattern lock), you have to enter it before you can do a lot of functions with voice. My suggestion of how to fix it: Have an audible pass phrase or pass word that you say to unlock the phone. Entering the pattern most times is not a problem, but when driving, cooking, or other times you have dirty or unavailable hands, it would be awesome to use an audible password to unlock.

That covers everything I have on this phone for now, I'll come back and update it if I have anything to update.
on June 3, 2014
The only reason I say almost perfect is because every cell phone is missing something. I have had the Moto X since December 4th and I have to say I love this phone. It may not have all of the top tear specs of all the other flagships but I don't care about specs. I care about how it functions in the real world.

Performance: This phone is extremely quick and snappy. Zero lag when multitasking, opening apps or connecting to the internet. Gets a great cell signal and the internet is very fast on it. Games run really well.

Call quality: This is where motorola has always shined and it really shows with the Moto X. People say I sound like I'm talking on a land line and calls are clear on my end as well.
Screen: The screen is not going to be as bright or as clear as some of the other flagships because it has a lower resolution to conserve battery life. 720p instead of 1080p. That being said, you will have no problems with this screen. It is beautiful and looks great when gaming and watching videos. Reading text on kindle or the internet is very easy and clear as a bell. The screen size is 4.7" which I think may be the sweet spot for using a phone with one hand.

Build: This phone is extremely solid and feels great in your hand. The back has a nice curve to it which makes it natural to hold. It looks extremely nice and has absolutely no branding on the front which was a classy move. Because of the minimized bezel this is the smallest phone with a 4.7" screen you will find. Very easy to use in one hand. It is light, but not so light that it feels cheap. "just right" if you will.
Software: It runs a very slightly modified version of stock android. The user interface is simple, intuitive and great to look at. Very classy, not cartoony like Galaxy Touchwhiz UI. Using very little RAM so the performance is top notch and really doesn't use a lot of battery life.

Battery life: With how small the battery is it is amazing how good the battery life is. With extremely heavy use, gaming, checking email, using gps, streaming music and watching Youtube, the battery lasts all day. With moderate use, checking email, watching a couple of videos and a little more general use, texting and so forth, the phone will last you well into a second day of use. I'd say about about 36 hours of moderate use (if you sleep in that time period).

Camera: The camera quality is very good outside in natural light, but could be better in low light. I still get great photos in low light, but you might have to take 2 or 3 pictures to get a good one. The camera software is very easy to use. Considering it's a camera on a cell phone I think it's does the job. I'd give the camera 4 out of 5 stars.

What sets it apart: 1)There is a function called "active notifications" that is wonderful. You can view any of your notifications without unlocking the phone, the time comes up when you pick up the phone. You can also unlock the phone on the screen rather than using the power button. When the notifications or time comes up there are very few pixels being utilized so it does not hurt the battery life 2)You can bring the camera up when the phone is locked with just a flick of the wrist. It is an unusual gesture, but you'll get used to it. From your phone being locked you can take a picture in 2 seconds (not exaggerating). All my friends who have kids love this function, they never miss a cute picture. 3) Touchless control: All you have to say is "ok google now" and you have full access to Google Now voice control. That means when your phone is locked and sitting on your night stand, from across the room you can say "ok google now.......what's up?" and it will respond with the time and all notifications that you haven't viewed. Get in your car and say "ok google now.....navigate home" and google maps pops up and tells you how to get home. 4) Assist is a program that has preset features to make things in your life easier. A few examples, I have my phone set so at midnight every night the ringer on my phone turns off and will only ring if someone on my emergency list calls. When I have a meeting scheduled the ringer turns off. When I start driving a music app launches and so forth. 5) The X8 processor is what brings everything together. It is actually 8 different processors so everything on the phone is compartmentalized for performance optimization and battery conservation. 6) Last but not least, the Moto Maker Site. You can fully cosmetically customize the Moto X. The back and the buttons can be whatever color you want. Even wooden if you're into that type of thing. The back can be monogrammed with your name and you can even get matching headphones.

So, if you haven't noticed, I would like to reiterate that I love this phone. I am an experienced smartphone user and this is the best phone I have owned and one of the best on the market in my opinion. All smartphones are lacking something, Iphones have small screens and the software can't be customized, but they are fast, have great cameras and great build quality. Samsung Galaxy S4/S5 have cheap build quality and a really bad UI that looks cheap and slows down the whole phone, but they have great cameras and big beautiful screens. HTC One M7/M8 has the worst camera of any flagship phone and bad battery life, but they have beautiful screens, great performance and awesome build quality. LG G2 is a great phone with everything that you would ever want, but all those great things are useless when you have to use a button that's on the back of the phone, that's just stupid. In my humble opinion, the Moto X is as close as it gets.
on October 19, 2013
So far I am loving the Moto X. It's not perfect, but it's the right phone for me. I initially bought a Droid Maxx, but then exchanged it for the X. Don't get me wrong, the Maxx is a sharp phone, but it's big. And after a few days of using it, I realized it was just too big.

I really debated between these two phones, but even though the specs on the Droid Maxx are better ultimately I decided on the Moto X for the size/form factor: It just feels better in my hand with its contoured back and mid-size dimensions despite the plenty big 4.7" screen. By comparison, the Maxx felt bulky, just a big Kevlar slab of a phone. A few things about the Maxx did give me pause, however:

1. Wireless charging -- A cool feature other reviewers have liked, though it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.
2. The battery life -- The battery on the Maxx is impressive. This one I still regret a bit, though the Moto X has plenty of pep.
3. Storage -- The Maxx has twice the storage at 32GB, but frankly I sync most of my media to the cloud now and keep backups on my laptop.

Of course, I looked at the other top phones, but I really wanted Google/Motorola's latest suite of software features: Active Notifications, Touchless Controls, the quick-launch camera. Speaking of the camera, all the latest Motorola phones are lacking there, though I read big improvements have been rolled out in a software update for customers of every carrier except Verizon, so hopefully that will follow soon (hint, hint). The Galaxy S4 has a good camera and tons of features, but it felt flimsy and plasticky, and I don't like Touchwiz's cartoonish design. The HTC One is a beautiful phone and I loved the look of the metal exterior, but it was slick and I know within a week I'd drop it. Recent HTC phones have suffered hardware issues as well.

So the Moto X was the one. I love the overall design and, like I said before, it feels great in the hand. The black weave pattern on the back is stylish, and the small dimple in the middle of the phone is a good tactile reference point when holding it. The clean OS runs butter smooth. The screen is sharp and colors vibrant. I prefer the on-screen rather than capacitative buttons, though I thought at first the opposite would be true. And I do like the fact that it's at least assembled if not built in the US. I'm not some rabid patriot, but I do feel you should support smart efforts to bring decent-paying manufacturing back to the country.

A few last points after using the phone a couple weeks now: 1) Active Notifications are just plain smart, and I also like how the time displays on the lock screen when you pick up the phone or take it out of your pocket; 2) Yes, the call quality is a little hit and miss, clear on some calls and choppy on others; 3) Stock Android runs nice and smooth; 4) The camera isn't great but I haven't found it as terrible as some are saying. 5) The Touchless Controls are real handy, though not perfect at interpreting what you say.

(My phone experience: Droid X, HTC Incredible, Razr M.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...