4.0 out of 5 stars Scratches? Where?
I am not sure why everyone is so down on this case. I purchased it locally because of all the negative reviews so I could return it quickly if the negativity was justified - it isn't.
First off, all the complaints about scratches are bogus. The case does not scratch the device in anyway. It's plastic on metal... which do you think's gonna win?
Quite honestly,...
Published on March 29, 2011 by Brian Roediger

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, seems to do the job but misses the mark.
This is the type of product that comes close to being good on so many levels - but never quite gets there. Full of good idea's that were never quite implemented properly.

The Xoom does fit securely in the case, I never get the impression my Xoom is about to fall out for fit and security it's perfect.

Overall the case is good, the majority of the...
Published on March 9, 2011 by M. M. Strauch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, seems to do the job but misses the mark., March 9, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Protective Portfolio Case for MOTOROLA XOOM (Motorola Retail Packaging) (Personal Computers)

Overall the case is good, the majority of the outer cover is a semi hard vinyl/plastic like material - much like you would find on luggage but firmer, perhaps due to some adhesive used to give it strength. This is fine by me as this material will gives it a bit of shock resistance should something heavy fall on it. It has a textured surface which helps prevent it from slipping from your grip.

The edges of the case are hard plastic and do a fair job of protecting the corners from impacts. This protection was obviously not the intent - as the hard plastic is primarily designed to hold the tablet in place, otherwise the corner plastic would have been made just a bit larger to protect the bottom corners completely.

The inside of the case where the back of the tablet sits is similar to the outer shell, but not textured and a bit more fabric like feel. The inside that covers the screen when closed is made of a hardened foam that helps protect the screen. There are built in troughs that the bottom of the tablet can sit in when open to give it a nice viewing angle when watching video, running a slide show etc...

The largest design flaw is the fact that although there are cutouts for the speakers, power button, camera, headphones, SD slot - they have neglected to make cutouts where they are needed the most! There is no opening for the charger, USB, or HDMI - so anytime you want to charge the unit, connect it to your computer, or use the HDMI output you must have the case open - serious flaw. Who wants to leave their case sitting open when it is charging.

All in all it's okay, and I would recommend it overall, but know that it is a tiny bit frustrating to have such potential and then fail because of simple flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scratches? Where?, March 29, 2011
Quite honestly, other than it's slightly bulbus profile, the only "negative" thing I could find on it was that it doesn't have a very good typing angle setting. There's tilted, more tilted, and flat with a slight incline.
Excellent feel. Excellent protection. This thing could be dropped from quite a ways and survive with this case on.
Overall, it does exactly what it says. This isn't an apple product that fits inside, no crazy scratches here ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad, not great, a review after almost 45 days of usage, April 3, 2011
All in all, I do not think that the case is bad. I have read other reviews where there are claims that the materials separate or that the device get scratched. I have not noticed those in my case, it might be a manufacturing defect.

I have 2 main complaints about this case:
1. As mentioned before, no charging port hole. I might cut a hole and resolve this issue...

There is another flaw that got not thing to do with the case - The charging port on the Xoom is at the bottom of the device. If you want to charge the device while tilting it it's impossible.

2. The case leaves some dirt on the screen, I keep having 3 lines of dirt that come from the case.

Outside of that, the case is protecting my Xoom very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite case by far! Here's Why., March 25, 2012
I'd take this review serious, due to the fact that I have purchased every case you can possibly put this Xoom into. And in the end this is the one I use every day! By far the most user friendly and most efficient case for the xoom - period. It is light, it is rugged, it is ergonomical, easy to access all ports, it protects, it lasts, and it just works. Nothing fancy about it, just 100% functional. I am a pool contractor and I use (abuse) this Xoom purely for work, and I have put this Xoom and this case through hell and back. No joke. From +120deg. temps down here in Phoenix, Az to -10deg. below in Flagstaff, Az. I purchased this Xoom the week it came out along with this original case, Not one glitch! To say the least, I am very impressed with both. I'm still using my original Xoom and case! Both are still rocking right along. That has to speak for something.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, March 18, 2011
Where to begin?

There is nothing good about this case

It's made of cheap material

YOU CANNOT CHARGE OR HAVE A USB CORD ATTACHED WHILE THE CASE IS CLOSED

YOU CANNOT CHARGE OR HAVE A USB CORD ATTACHED WHILE THE CASE IS OPENED TO HAVE THE XOOM ON THE 'KICK STAND'

THE BACK DOESN'T FLIP BACK AND LOCK, SO IF YOUR HOLDING THIS AND WALKING AROUND YOU EITHER HAVE TO HOLD THE BACK AGAINST IT, OR LET THE FLAP DANGLE

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THIS BAD!

1.0 out of 5 stars It will be returned., March 14, 2011
Honestly? $40 for this?

I just received my case this morning, and within minutes I was quickly shocked of the poor quality of this case.

1. It is constructed with cheap vinyl materials and plastic. The plastic is already separating from the vinyl right out of the factory sealed paackaging.

2. The case does not fit the Xoom tablet well. Perhaps there was a manufacturing defect as the plastics are separating. Seems that I would really have to torque down on the case to get it to fit the tablet well.

3. The case appears that it is supposed to snap shut. However, it DOES NOT. Again, this may be due to the situations I mentioned in gripes 1 and 2.

4. You do not have access to the charging port while the unit is in the case. I considered making a small hole in the case so I could plug my unit in. But, why should I have to do this to a $40 case? And considering my total disappointment with this case, I will end up returning it anyway.

5. If you use this case regularly to make the tablet stand vertically, prepare to have the case scratch your $600 + investment.

This case, as far as I am concerned, is very much an overpriced piece of GARBAGE!

I will be returning and purchasing a zippered case and a small travel stand to use with my device. Amazon has those and the total price tag is far less than $40. Shop around for better options and see what you can come up with. This case is severely flawed.

1.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, poorly executed., May 18, 2011
As you would expect from a case designed by the manufacterer specifically for the Xoom, this has a nice snug it and offers decent protection. Unfotunatly Motorola made two HUGE mishaps that make this not only annoying to use, but it actually DAMAGES your Xoom.

The first issue probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it's a foolish omission on Motorola's part. That is while they made a nice cut out for the camera, speaker, headphone, SIM, and even the non-funtional SDCard slot they failed to make one for the charger port! This means you have to have the case open while charging.

The secind and real deal breaker is that the case damages your Xoom. The inside basically has 4 clips that hold the Xoom into place. You slide it into the top two, than snap it into the bottom two. To stand it up you unsnap it from the bottom two. Problem is those cclips are made from hard plastic with no protective material. So they scratch you Xoom. I was lucky I was able to get the store to let me exchange my Xoom after it was scratched. What is the point of a case that damages your device?

I strongly suggest looking elsewhere for a case. Try the one by Acase, or if you want extra protection get the Otterbox one. Motorola missed the mark big time here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good case, April 1, 2011
The Xoom portfolio case is a pretty good case in my opinion. I didn't buy it initially due to the poor reviews it has generally received, but I quickly grew tired of lugging around a seperate dock or stand, so I decided to give it a chance.

Overall, I am happy with the case. It provides the two basic functions I was looking for; protection for the Xoom and a built in stand. My only disappointment with it, is the same one mentioned by most people, which is that it doesn't have a cutout for the charger.

I have read some reviews stating that the case scratched their Xoom. I have not experienced this problem, and I honestly don't see how it would happen if you're careful with it.

I agree that the case is not perfect, but for me it gets the job done well enough. I fail to understand why so many people dislike it so much. If you're on the fence about the case due to the bad reviews, I would suggest giving it a try and judging for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charging port issue?...Flip your tablet..., September 4, 2012
Singing, singing, singing the praises of this product. My husband got one and I liked it so much, I bought one too. I was going to get an otter box, but I really prefer the functionality and simplicity of this product. It provides protection against scratches and minor damage (not water damage, nor large shock damage) and is still very sleek! The case doesn't have any snaps or Velcro to deal with because it's CUSTOM fit to the xoom! It snaps snugly and securely around the tablet. MUCH better than Velcro or elastic bands! It's a handy stand that's adjustable to a couple of heights. HOWEVER, it's only landscape. If you want portrait, sorry.

I do not like that it's not very customized. I'd have preferred a different color, since both my husband I both have one.

For the PORT issue, simply flip the tablet around in the case when you're charging. Or you can simply let it sit open. Yeah, it's an extra step, but only necessary if you need protection when you're charging. It's not really feasible to put a hole for a charger in the folding portion of the case. That would decrease the durability of the product. Nah, I'll put forth a little effort rather than lose the protection of my product! :D

I was actually going to buy a keyboard/case combo, but got this and a Logitech keyboard separately. I am very happy with this decision! Got a great case, great keyboard and they really complement each other. They keyboard's case converts to a stand that will accommodate the tablet and the case together if i need to use the portrait orientation. I highly recommend that you spend extra money for quality unless you use the keyboard so often that convenience is a considerable issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars After several cases, this is the one, May 10, 2012
Case came in Motorola retail packaging, exactly as described. Fits perfectly, doesn't cover any controls, and is excellent for protecting the screen in my backpack (I ride a motorcycle, and bring my Xoom everywhere).

Only thing I can think that could be improved is the way the slots work for standing the tablet up. They don't grip the bottom of the tablet much, so it occasionally slides closed. The angles aren't exactly ideal also, there's almost vertical, 45º, and just-about flat.

There isn't a way to charge the device while standing up, but that's a design flaw of the tablet, not the case, so can't blame them. Plus the case is help on the top half, leaving the device open to fitting in the Motorola charging dock, so if you want to just get one of those.

the stand pads do leave lines on the screen when you open it, but a quick wipe and they're gone, not a big deal like some other reviews are making it out to be. I did notice some sticky residue from the adhesive on the back where the plastic meets the vinyl, but again just wipe dit off, no harm no foul.

Overall, after going through several cases that didn't feel nearly as secure or sturdy as this one, I'm sticking with this.