5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone, and is a great iPhone replacement so far
I have been waiting for this phone for quite a while and have spanned the internet looking for reviews on this thing before i bought it. I have had this phone from 11/11/11 and since launch time.

Here are some key things i will review to help you make your decision (hopefully)

Let me first tell you WHY i got the droid razr. A midst the launch of many...
Published on November 13, 2011 by Critical Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line with major glitch
Love this phone, had to get used to the wideness but works great! Only serious problem is the battery life. I work from home and have a car charger and am typing this in the red battery zone. Battery life is the worst. I also used to own a cell phone store for 3 years. Great phone minus the power it needs. Not sure what else to say except. I'll possibly return it if...
Published on December 16, 2011 by Edward Dupre

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 520 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite Android Superphone!!!, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Ive been an Android user since the original G1. Moved on the Samsung Vibrant and G2. Made the move to the Verizon iPhone but realized how I miss Android. It was meant to be because I really wanted the RAZR especially after the very uninspiring Galaxy Nexus hardware and specs disappointed me. Lo and behold, Amazon has a penny smartphone sale so I know it was meant to be. I was stuck between this and the HTC Rezound but I am glad I chose the Droid Razr.

First thing you notice is the thinness of the phone. This phone is a beaut. I won't get into too much details since there are many other reviews. Ill just point out some stuff.

-Coming from the iPhone 4, the camera on this isn't great. That's not saying its bad but it's not as good as the iPhone 4's 5 megapixel.
-The 1080p video recorder on the other hand is absolutely stunning. You see details in the video especially on the phones SAMOLED screen. I love it.
-The screen is nice and vibrant. Much more vibrant than the iPhone 4. Not as sharp but Ill pick color over sharpness. Not disappointing and that was one of my biggest worry especially with the Rezound having a 720p screen and all.
-The hardware is awesome but it is light. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your preference. The iphone feels like an anchor compared with this.
-Battery life is a mixed feeling. One hand, you gotta understand that this is Android and we know how that is with the background syncing and what not always using power. Another thing people have to understand is that this is a 4g LTE device (which is a battery hog out the gate) and a dual core device. It's going to drain the battery. I leave 4g on with moderate use and I will get to 3-5 hours. That's bad especially since my iPhone 4 last a whole day and sometimes more. The SMART ACTION app is needed especially if you want to make the battery last.
-I've also been reading a lot of negative reviews of Motorola Skin....to be honest I thought it was gonna be bad but when I got some hands on time, it's actually fitting and I do like it. Don't get me wrong, Im a LauncherPro guy all the way but the skin fits here. It goes with the overall appeal of the phone. I love the animations and icons. Preference here. If you don't like it, you can always use a Launcher of your liking.
Overall I am happy with my purchase and I would recommend this to anybody....

One thing I know is a battery killer is the phone connecting to 3g and 4g LTE. One way for me to save my battery at home is to set a Smart Action when Im at my home network to disable cellular data and whatever else you want to. Does a lot to improve battery, There's no need to be on wifi and have the phone switching from 3g to 4g wasting battery at the same time. Get a 4g toggle off widget as well. 4G is great but you're not going to be using it the whole entire time so might as well turn it off so you can save some battery.

Another thing I do when Im at work to make sure I have enough juice to last (in case of an emergency I do decide to use the "phone" feature lol)..I set up a smart action with the trigger of "Display Off". Whenever the display is off, I have it turn off data, background data, gps and whatever else pleases you. Turning this all off when the phone display is off helps the battery out a lot and everything turns back on when you turn it on so its very convenient. This may bother some because then it means you can't get certain type of push notification (like myself, I use Kik and Google Voice) until you turn the display on but Im at work so I can only check at break time and lunch anyways so no biggy for me.

This Smart Action is pretty cool and I wish there were some more triggers and etc...

I haven't used Motorola since my Nextel days and now that I have this Droid Razr, you can welcome me back for good. Looking forward to Ice Cream Sandwich and since Google is in the process of purchasing Moto...i expect the entire updating process to be a whole lot zippier. If not, we'll always have XDA...

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubiquitous Data collector for Google, November 27, 2011
As usual for Motorola, the device is superbly engineered. The mechanical quality being best in class. The human interface is decent too. I've been able to employ some of the advanced features quickly and easily, which is a change from my Microsoft experiences. The camera and video work, but are about the same quality I've seen on other phones. The display is bright and vibrant working well in the shade, but not in full sun. One curious artifact of the phone is the ubiquitous google presence. Google wants to know what you're doing, where you're doing it, and with whom. To this end there seem to be a lot of apps asking for permission to phone home to google and report. If you want to use the GPS mapping software for instance, google will be informed where you go, when, and for how long. This just seems unnecessary for a phone, and a little disturbing (at least to me). But then, I use google Chrome, so google already tracks and saves what I search on and what web sites I visit, so they may as well know who I'm calling, and when, and for how long... Other than that, I'm impressed wth its Hot Spot capability, te fact that when it's on my home wifi it does not appear to bill me for megabytes delivered, and even its battery life has been good. The bluetooth to my stereo headsets works great, and I even ran an Audble Droid app to play books from audible.com, contrary to audible's report that they were not compatible with Motorola Androids. Buy a few and give them away for Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy Andriod user, November 27, 2011
This is my 5th Android phone since the os has been intruduced. I did own a bionic that I returned for the razr. The bionic was losing its signal all the time resulting with me having to restart the phone. The razr is wonderful and the best phone I've ever owned. Its a great design and light weight. The only issue is that the batteries are internal and the phone has to be charged via car or wall charger. Before with my Driod x and x2 I had 10 batteries and always carried them around with me. 4g network seems to be available and allows me to surf the web at super fast speeds. Keep in mind that Android 4.0 will be available early next year, my understanding is that the razr will be one of the first phones by Verizon eligible to be upgraded to be upgrade to Ice cream sandwich (I love saying that...silly as it may be). This is a huge upgrade from my driod x and I would recommend this phone to all my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars DROID RAZR PHONE, November 26, 2011
Motorola DROID BIONIC 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

The new Motorola Droid RAZR phone is a wonderful phone. It is slim, strong and performs amazingly ! I have many friends that have IPHONES and they say they think the Droid RAZR is a better phone for now. It is 4G, sports a beautiful display and has at least 10 hours of battery life. I talked on it three hours the other day and the battery indicator did not even move off of full. It has the smart actions features which saves battery life. The speed of the phone with streaming video is the best I have ever seen. Volume control and power buttons are nicely located. This is Motorola's best phone ever. I am happy with ever aspect of it after owning for three weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Underrated...2011 Holiday Season Winner!, November 19, 2011
Let me start off with saying that I put off purchasing a new smart phone for quite some time. I'ved owned and used Blackberry Curves and iphones and wanted to do my research on phones before purchasing a new one(since the largest discounts come with signing 2 year renewal agreements or new contracts). I knew that I probably wanted an Android phone and had difficulty in deciding between the DROID RAZR, Iphone 4s, HTC Rezound(Not out at the time), or waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Also not out at the time).

NEGATIVES - Or are they?
So far I have not been disappointed by this phone in any possible category! My first couple of pictures left a litle to be desired, but I noticed that I was in really strange lighting situations in my home. For that I would deduct half of a star because the other phones compared are supposed to have even better perfoming cameras(although the nexus is only spec'd out as having a 5 MP rear camera). All pictures that I have taken since then(at restaurants, club/bar scenes, and work) have been at a quality that is better than expected. The only other concern I had was that this phone has a SAR of 1.45 which is a bit higher than the Iphone, Rezound, and Samsung Galaxy Nexus as posted online as of 11/10/2011. I've read many reports about SAR ratings, the increase in use of cellular devices of the past 10 years, and brain cancer. My readings have me convinced that there is no evidence linking cellular device use to brain cancer due to the fact that there has NOT been an increase in brain cancer patients over the past 10 years. The speaker phone could be a tiny bit louder, but it is adaquate at its highest level. Turning the phone volume up to its highest level with the speaker phone on produces a slight crackle here and there(hardly noticeable), but this can be solved by tapping the volume bar one notch down.

POSITIVES
The phone size is probably one of the biggest pros that i am really enjoying. Most people have their phones in a protective case which causes the phone to bulk up quite a bit. I purchased the otterbox commuter and the added size puts this phone at the perfect size for talking and carrying around in my pocket. The rezound, nexus, and iphone are all thicker, thus would be much bulkier once a case is applied. I've seen reviews posted saying that this phone is a little on the slow side but they must be fake, because i have not had a single hiccup in speed since using the Droid Razr. Call clarity has been stunning for me so far! I have never had a cell phone that I have been able to hear out of so clearly. The speaker phone is really clear as well. I puchased this phone on 11/11/11 at a price of $111.11 on Amazon.com by signing a new 2 year contract with Verizon. Verizon had recently started a promotional offer to double data therefore i was upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of data a month for 30 bucks. Since switching from AT&T to Verizon, I have not had any dropped calls which I did experience on occasion with AT&T. Even if the phone would not have been at a low price of $111.111 I would have purchased it without regrets.

My actual rating for the phone itself would be 4.25-4.5.
The fact that I feel like I got the best deal of the 2011 Holiday Season pushes the rating to 5 stars.(Note that I do not know what the price of the Galaxy Nexus will be or the price of any of these phones during the Thanksgiving holidays and Black Friday for that matter, but from looking at the online Black Friday ads(blackfridayinfo.com)..there are not any better deals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life is terrible!, January 10, 2012
Bought 2 new Razr phones and we love both phones as far as the features go, APPS and tons of capabilities. However the batter life is terrible; less than 15 hours on each phones when on continuously; but only being used 10% of the time. I read many reviews on how people loved the Razr but not many reviews on the poor battery life.Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, great price, November 24, 2011
I got the phone mainly as an impulse buy when I saw the pricing. I have an HTC Merge from U.S. Cellular but had really been craving something a bit more upscale.

I recommend porting your number to Google Voice, and then activating a new number with Verizon to get the phone for a penny. This way you can always get a the "new" customer pricing, by cancelling your old line at the end of your contract, and keep you number via Google Voice.

The phone itself is super-fast and has great battery life. I took a ton of pictures on Thanksgiving and used it quite a bit all day, and at the end of the day I'm at 2/3rd full.

Amazing phone overall for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars You guys have to be kidding, January 9, 2013
I don't understand how this product can be rated higher than 1 star (only because you cant rate it zero). I know this phone is fast but... this phone has the poorest battery life of all the phones I have had - I can't get more than about 6 or 7 hours before I have to recharge. The Blackberry and Iphone I have had in the past (and will run back to when my conrtact is up) all had better battery life by hours!

Worst of all, this "smart phone" is not smart at all - after syncing for 7 months Motorola decided to discontinue supporting syncing software and now my phone wont sync anything but my email (no calendar, contacts etc). I wouldn't believe thye would have a product that would not sync a phone to a desktop - this is 2013 for goodness sake. After 8+ hours with Verizon/Motorola techs, I am told my phone will no longer sync to my outlook calendar etc but they will be happy to help me sync to a Google email/calendar etc.(can someone say hijacked).

Verizon and Motorola; two companies I would not recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge mistake, November 25, 2013
When I first got the phone March 2012, it was amazing. Best thing I ever bought. Now that its gettin closer to my upgrade date, which is 4 months away, the phone will barely charge. The battery doesnt last as long as it did when I first got it. Its a nightmare. I'm being a real cheapskate by waiting until my upgrade date but I refuse to pay a whole bunch of money just to replace this piece of crap. Bottom line, dont buy the Droid Razr unless you plan on switching it that following year. Its not worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars A review of Motorola Droid RAZR, February 14, 2013
To anyone getting a Motorola Droid RAZR (just the plain one, not the M or MAXX), don't. The one I have (less than a month old) already consumes a full battery charge (with wifi off, sync off, and strictest battery saving plans) in less than 24 hours. Additionally, half the apps I have tried to install won't run, and the facebook app only works half the time (with full Wifi bars). My wife's iPhone 4 doesn't have any problems. I'll be talking to Verizon to see if I can swap to something else.

Below is an email I sent to Motorola regarding the performance with my Droid RAZR. I felt it fitting the email should be placed here for informational purposes others.

Dear Sir/Ma'am:
I was told to send a private message regarding the *very* poor performance of my Motorola Droid RAZR smartphone. In case previous information was not relayed the battery on my smartphone is discharging at a very high rate (full battery loss in less than one day). I have consulted the Droid RAZR support site [...] regarding actions I can take to conserve power. I currently have all GPS, wifi, and bluetooth settings disabled. Also, I have set the screen to blank and phone to lock after 1 minute of inactivity. My only email account other than GMAIL is currently set to never sync. Since January 31, 2013 (the day I got my phone) until today (14 Feb 13) I have used 213mb of data, far below my plan limit of 2GB per month. Included below is my usage:
google play store 96.44 mb
Maps 6.62mb
Google Play Books 5.14mb
Removed apps 3.54mb
Apps 2.53mb

Currently the battery history shows:
Screen 35%
Phone idle 21%
Android OS 17%
Voice Calls 15%
Cell Standby 11%
Google Services 3%
Android System 2%

That total 104% battery use, which makes me question the fundamental math that is involved with this device. It also tells me that for a phone used to make voice calls, over 75% of the power is consumed when I am not even using it to make calls. In addition to the battery life being short, several apps (notably Angry Birds and Angry Birds Star Wars) are unable to be ran successfully. They install, and boot up, but then just cycle through loading screen until I back out of the app. For the above reasons, I am highly discouraged from owning or recommending to other the use of the Droid RAZR. Hopefully I will be able to exchange my Motorola for a different model. I look forward to hearing feedback and recommendations. Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 520 | Next ›