5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone, and is a great iPhone replacement so far
I have been waiting for this phone for quite a while and have spanned the internet looking for reviews on this thing before i bought it. I have had this phone from 11/11/11 and since launch time.

Here are some key things i will review to help you make your decision (hopefully)

Let me first tell you WHY i got the droid razr. A midst the launch of many...
Published on November 13, 2011 by Critical Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line with major glitch
Love this phone, had to get used to the wideness but works great! Only serious problem is the battery life. I work from home and have a car charger and am typing this in the red battery zone. Battery life is the worst. I also used to own a cell phone store for 3 years. Great phone minus the power it needs. Not sure what else to say except. I'll possibly return it if...
Published on December 16, 2011 by Edward Dupre

‹ Previous | 16 7 819 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars bad screen in dark rooms, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The screen has highly visible dark blotches all over the place that are very apparent in low light/ dark rooms. It affects any view of the phone where the background is black on the display. Motorola claims that this is an "aspect' of their phone that is part of their (cheap/effort to save money) manufacturing process and that it does not affect "general use".... so they have left it at that and just want their customers to "deal with it"

I would not get this phone just based on Motorola's handling of this issue. It is very unprofessional and quite ridiculous to claim that a major defect only apparent in dark light should be looked over and not considered an issue.

I will return mine as soon as possible, and will not deal with Motorola because of how they have brushed off this really quite major concern about their display defect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this phone, November 11, 2011
I have only had this for a day, so I'll add to this if any major glitches show up, but right now its the best thing since sliced bread. The screen is amazing. Bright, crisp, and big! The camera seems awesome. I love that it has several shooting modes and fast shutter speed. The sport shot is super quick. Panorama mode doesn't require any button pushes after the first frame. Stitches seemlessly. As you can tell, the camera was very important to me. Sound seems good on the speakers. The screen is so awesome. Can't stop talking about it. So think, so light, yet feels great in the hand. I'll add more after I have played some games and tested out the rest of the speed and call quality over the next several days. Bummer for me, I preordered and paid full price from Verizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Droid Razr - Best 4G Phone Yet!, November 12, 2011
This phone is simply amazing. It is fast with it's 1.2Ghz processor & 1GB DDR2 ram. THe 4.3" Super AMOLED screen is just amazing, and with all the features this phones have, I can't think of anything else I would need. Stream netflix movies on the go, listin to music, check ur email, do anything you want right from the palm of your hand.

And, if you want a little extra 'size' - look into the Motorola Lapdock 100 or 500. They offer a laptop type solution that you plug your phone into for a larger view and more options!

Really Veriozon and Motorola have stepped it up!

Check out my review of the Razr!
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone ever, December 12, 2011
I upgraded from the original Droid. My old Droid was working fine, but I was due for a discounted upgrade. I wanted to wait for the Nexus, but after seeing the reviews that made it sound rather fragile (and it's still not available) I decided to check out the RAZR. Lots of reviewers were complaining about the text quality, but it looks great to me. Sure, if you get out some magnifying glasses you will see the pixels, but why would you do that?

I like the engineering that went into the RAZR. The thinness, the gorilla glass, everything about it seems very well thought out. I was also tempted by the Iphone, but I wanted a bigger screen, and the bigger battery of the Droid. It's right on the edge of being too big, good thing I have big hands.

I bought the Otterbox case the same day I bought the RAZR, and it keeps the RAZR quite safe due to the raised plastic and rubber edges on the front and back. I examined the full coverage Otterbox but didn't like the belt loop. I ended up building my own leather and metal sleeve to protect the exposed glass side when the phone is in my pocket, or my backpack.

Regarding the battery, it's true that you can totally drain the battery in half a day if you are using the 4g to watch movies, but this is true of all big smartphones. I work on computers all day, I have no need to watch movies, or surf the net on my phone. I also don't play games. It's cool to know the phone can do all those things though, for those weekends when I am out climbing and need to check the weather. I'm not on facebook anymore (huge sigh of relief!) so I have no need to constantly use my phone on the weekends to post or check updates.

I get two to three days out of the battery (7am to 10pm). And I do that by turning off all the data: wireless and 4g. I've basically turned it into a dumb phone. For those occasions when I may need to keep the phone working hard all day, and I'm away from electricity, I bought an external battery pack from NewTrent. For only 28 bucks, I have a phone sized battery that will recharge the RAZR three times.

I was easily able to configure it to read my work email using the Corporate function to connect with Microsoft Exchange. But I set it to manual sync....again, I work at computers all day.

Lots of others have commented on the camera and powerful processor. I don't expect my cell phone to be anything more than a poor quality point and shoot, but the camera is better than my old droid. If a great camera is important, the iphone might be a better choice.

I've always loved the way I can easily get inside a phone running Android. Plug it into your mac or pc with the usb cable, and it acts like an external hardrive. Drag music, talking books, images, data files, whatever, directly into the phone. There is no messing around with itunes like I've heard you have to do on the iphone.

I love the smoothness of the operating system. This thing is very fast. It's super bright...all in all I'm happy I bought it and have no regrets.

Coolest apps so far: ColorNote for a "to do list", Akimbo player for listening to talking books, Dolphin browser with the LastPass password manager for tracking all my logins.

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, but poor audio, December 9, 2011
The Good:

The Droid Razr has an AMOLED display that is really visually stunning. The kevlar back is a nice touch. The phone is speedy and quick. Battery life is good, given the dual core processor power of the phone.

Now the bad:

My 9 year old LG VX4400 has much better audio quality. A hiss can be detected in the earphone, external or internal, after every word is spoken. Even a person on the other end tells me that my voice quality is not as good, with or without an external headset, as my old cell phone. Audio / MP3's are also not up to par with an iPod, or even my foxit eslick ebook reader!

Update: Google sky map and the compass do not work correctly, reportedly due to an Android OS driver issue? Hopefully this will be addressed in an update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, but Battery and Camera Problems, November 24, 2011
Let me start out by saying that this phone is fantastic. I would even go as far to say that its the best phone out on the market today. It has an incredibly fast processor, which was the same processor that was in laptops less than five years ago, it has a super-thin body, weighs almost nothing, and has a great display. However, it's not the "perfect" phone. Like all of them, it has its share of issues. Battery life and camera quality haunts its rating, causing a 5 star to go down to a 4.

Pros:

- GREAT processor
- VERY thin
- Light as well
- The display, although not a retina display, is plenty vibrant enough
- 16 GB internal + 16 GB external
- Runs Gingerbread, but is getting upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich in early 2012

Cons:

- Although the camera is 8MP, it still shoots rather grainy photos. However, unless you're trying to shoot professional photos, which you shouldn't be doing with your phone anyways, you should be fine.

- Battery Life = This is a big one. I have to charge my phone twice a day, once before going to bed, and once during work. The good news is it charges relatively quickly. The bad news is it loses its charge relatively quickly as well.

OVERALL

If you're looking for a new phone, this is definitely the one to get. However, if you want a phone specifically for shooting pictures, you'll have to find a different one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone on earth, November 13, 2011
This new phone is totally awesome in every single way....why?...extremely powerful, colorful and portable!
For sure this is not a one hand phone to handle. This phone is to be use with both hands and handle it well.
If you guys are single hand only, like our previous reviewer "jose" this is not the phone for you. Go get at Amazon the Blackberry Pearl that is for one hand only.
Portable... remember the old brick huge phones of the past? well now this phone could get you in touch of your people in not time this is a 4G phone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, March 1, 2014
I have had this phone for two years. It's still working although for the last 4 months, it has gotten extremely slow. Battery life is not the best, but I use it at work for my music (stored on a micro sd card) and just keep it plugged in all day. All in all, I have been very pleased with the phone quality in that it has lasted so long with no problems other than the fairly recent issue of slowness. The call quality is good, speaker could be a bit louder and is on the back of the phone but I usually use my ear buds. Rarely freezes. Has never shut down on me. Rarely drops calls. Screen is durable - only a few minor scratches after all this time. I have never had a protective case on it. I love the back of the phone...non-slip. My contract is up and with all the negative reviews of phones out there, I'm hesitant to switch even with the slowness. My husband mentioned it to the Verizon store and they said it was the sim card but I haven't checked it out yet.

On the other hand, my husband had the identical phone. He had issues practically from the start with the charge port. Also, he would only get 3g when I was getting 4g. Don't know what that's about. He also managed to crack the screen, but he keeps it in his front jeans pocket and is constantly squatting down and back up again on the job. I suspect he just stressed it too much but it lasted 1 1/2 years before that happened.

1.0 out of 5 stars These phones break - buyer beware, February 22, 2014
Kaya (California) - See all my reviews
I went through THREE of these phones within the two year contract period. The first phone I bought at Costco imploded and the screen cracked the first time I charged the phone (with the charger and cord that was provided upon purchase as Motorola suggests using ONLY the cord and charger provided). Thank goodness I bought the phone at Costco, they replaced it on the spot. After three months, the second phone I sent in on the factory warranty repair/replace plan as it became glitchy and wouldn't work. They sent me back a refurbished phone. I argued with Motorola, to no avail, that I purchased a NEW phone and now I am receiving a refurbished phone (Seriously??? I do not WANT a phone that someone else took into the bathroom... just EWWW). Of course they gave me the "it's BETTER than new" BS. The third phone (the refurbished replacement) fully discharged over night when I forgot to charge it up before going to bed. As humans, we sometimes don't charge our phones. In the morning I plugged it in - it would not charge. I left it plugged in for a day. It wouldn't turn on. White light of death. Of course Motorola was kind enough to let me send it in for repair for $159! (WOW, I can replace it with a used phone for the same price. Thanks for nothing!!) I took it to a repair shop - the battery will take a charge, the charging port will take a charge, but something in the phone is not working between the battery and the charging port. (You should know the good folks over at CPR checked all that without charging me any cash in about 15 minutes as a consultation. I still have the option of leaving my phone with them for an actual repair.) My b/f had purchased the Samsung Galaxy Nexus at the same time as my initial purchase. His phone was still going strong (until he ran it over with his car!! Oops!) So now I get to endure my old HTC Droid Eris until I can upgrade or outright purchase a used phone (cuz I think want to keep my unlimited data and verizon "loyalty" customers will be bumped to a 6g of data per phone plan for $30). I will NEVER buy a Motorola phone again. I highly recommend consumers stay away from these technically garbage phones. The cool features, HDMI port, and moto specific apps are awesome, but they aren't very awesome now since I can't use them on my old crappy Eris.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok phone with some issues, December 16, 2013
I’ll start by saying this phone delivers everything that’s promised about the technology. I’ve never had a problem with signal, Bluetooth, performance, speed, or any other listed feature. All around the technology in this phone is pretty great.
There are a few issues that go along with the original Razr. First is the screen. While resolution is great, and the screen is clear, the manufacturing process for bonding gorilla glass to the LCD screen creates minor defects in most screens. You can notice lines, specs, or waves in the screen if you display certain colors or images. Mine has 2 faint lines that are easily seen when the screen is green or black. This issues isn’t terribly difficult to ignore but given the price and the vast competition, when I buy a new product I expect it to be immaculate. Motorolla does not consider this a defect, and even if you get a new phone it will most likely have the same issue. Some users do not notice this at all.
Second MAJOR ISSUE is the battery. The life is decent when the battery is new. The phone lasted through the whole work day usually and only needed a charge at night. After about a 1.5 years of use the battery is crap. I’m lucky if it lasts me 6 hours (with only about 45 min of actual use). I’ve checked all apps and done resets, and verified android version. This is not a software issue. The battery is just not big enough once it has some mileage on it. To make matters much much worse, the battery CANNOT BE REPLACED without ripping the old one out with a knife and voiding any warranty you may have.
Last issue is the Motorolla company. If you get a replacement phone for any defect it will be a refurbished phone, NOT A NEW PHONE. I wanted to get mine replaced for the lines on the screen when I first got it, but after the first 14 days any phone you get will be a pre-broken or damaged phone that has been repaired. While I usually stand by refurbished products, Motorolla does not do a good job. I have had several of their phones, (droid, Droid X, and several old style phones) and have had several replacements for various reasons. I have never, not once, received a replacement phone from Motorolla that is in perfect condition. Usually there are only minor issues such as scratches, or maybe a few dead pixels on the screen. Other times I have gotten replacements with the same problem as the original phone, or worse. This leads to trading out your phone many times, and losing all ability to communicate for as much as 2 weeks while waiting for the replacement.
CONCLUSION:
If you want this phone spend the extra money and get a Razr Maxx. If you are eyeballing any competitors phone buy that one instead.

‹ Previous | 16 7 819 | Next ›