Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 29, 2012
Well last week I picked up a white one from my local Verizon store (the price they gave it to me was the same as Amazon's offer luckily) and immediately I loved the feel and design of the phone. The continued use of the kevlar backing is a nice unique touch, although I'm still unsure how much true durability it adds in the longer run, we will see!

The display is incredibly vibrant. Obviously with AMOLED technology you aren't going to have perfect clarity like some other displays, however, this is the best AMOLED display I have seen. I have read complaints that you can notice jagged edges and sometimes images aren't very sharp or clear, however, I have yet to find such issues or any real complaint in general.

I am incredibly happy with the size and feel of the phone. I have read some articles saying "why keep the RAZR name since it isn't RAZR-thin anymore" however, I am not sure where they got that idea from. Sure it still not as thin as the original RAZRs when opened, but it is still one of the thinest smartphones out there. Remember, the Droid RAZR HD is .2 MM thinner than the Galaxy S3. At the same time, the Galaxy S3's height and width are larger than this phone as well. Of course these numbers are quite miniscule, and for pratical comparisons, they are pretty much the same size. You will notice that the Galaxy S3 is a tad lighter, however. I personally like the "full" feeling while holding the RAZR HD.

Although the MAXX HD version is certainly the variant for the additional battery life, the 2530mAh battery that comes with the regular Droid RAZR HD is still quite good. I have gone almost a day and a half of moderate use without charging. However, with moderately high use, I can still start my work day at 7 AM and end up with around 50% battery at 5 PM. Of course as always, the battery life entirely depends on what you use, what you let running and then how much you use the phone. I have seen many reviews claiming that the battery life is utter trash, but look if you manage your phone properly as you should, the 2530mAh should prove to be strong enough.

The camera is pretty standard stuff. Seems like most other smartphones have an 8 megapixel back camera. The front one isn't technically as good as Galaxy S3's for example, however, the difference is quite minimal.

My biggest gripe and perhaps only real issue with the phone are the on-screen menu buttons. While people advocating this phone will claim that these buttons hide when you use many fullscreen apps, I have found this to be quite untrue so far. When watching Youtube videos in fullscreen it does indeed hide them, and the phone does it actually pretty conveniently. However, so far I haven't really had much success in getting them to hide with pretty much every game and app out there. I should note though, I would much rather have them on the screen than deal with Galaxy S3's on-phone two buttons. My wife owns the S3 and when I have used it sideways for fullscreen applications I have always managed to hit the return button each time with just a little piece of my skin and I don't have fat fingers! My wife and a couple of my friends have noted this annoyance as well for themselves. Regardless, even with the on-screen menu buttons, it is still a formidably large screen. Not as large as the S3 which is "natrually" 4.8 compared to 4.7, but still large enough to be enjoyable of course.

Oh, and it is a little annoying that it didn't come with Jelly Bean automatically. While this isn't a big issue now since everyone should be getting a Jelly Bean update soon, it would certainly be a bigger thumbs down the longer it takes.. However, I guess once Jelly Bean does become available, for new buyers won't be a problem either way.

So despite the on-screen menu buttons, I still give this phone a perfect 5/5. However, I've talked to many that refuse to touch this phone solely because of those buttons. However, if you can get past that, I would definitely recommend this over the Galaxy S3. Both are certainly great phones, but the Droid RAZR HD feels more refined and professional. At least go try it out at your local Verizon store!

And about color.. Well white and black are the only ones available (so far) and both looked fine. However, I'm sure there are more black ones out there, so I had to look different so naturally I chose the white one. I wouldn't necessarily say one looks better than the other so that shouldn't be an issue :0
0Comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
I traded in the Droid 3 for this and I absolutely love it. Barely any lagging on games. I love the screen on this phone, it's vibrant and beautiful. My husband still has the Droid 3 and the difference is amazing. I wish it had been bumped to 2 gigs of Ram but this phone is fast! I chose the white just because there are so many black phones out there. I decided to go with HD instead of the Maxx HD because of the price difference and the trade in program through Motorola. The battery on this is great. Much better than the Droid 3. With normal use I usually have 1/4 to 1/2 battery remaining at midnight.
on November 21, 2012
I have had the Razr HD for about a week now and so far it is great. Looks and feels great and the craftsmanship is excellent. I use it heavily throughout the day for calls, texts, email, nav, etc and usually have at least half battery by the time I am off work. My Droid X was always dead before lunch. The battery is not quite as good as advertised but far better than any other phone I have ever owned. The screen is incredible and despite some negative reviews the camera takes really good pictures (the flash, however is not so great.)

I highly recommend this phone.
on February 12, 2013
I've had this phone for just over 10 days now and I love it. Only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is 1) I haven't had it very long and 2) it takes up a lot of data.
I had to adjust my settings on my email and updates to run on wi-fi only.
It's very fast while on the internet. Camera takes good pictures. Screen is fantastic, and large. Can't complain about the battery either. Overall, very, very happy with the phone.
Plus I only paid a penny for it :-)
on April 11, 2015
I have deleted my original review of this phone and written a new one after owning it for just under 2 months. Please keep in mind, I am referring to a refurbished phone:

About a month ago, my phone fell from a chair (about knee-height) onto a carpeted floor, with a protective case on it, and the entire top portion, which includes the screen, started detaching from the phone rendering it pretty much completely lifeless. I could hear my notifications going off, but the screen was dead, so I couldn't access them. Apparently the top portion hadn't been attached properly, which also caused the connector cables on the inside to detach. I had to pay $45 to have it repaired. (I paid $93 to purchase it here.) 3 weeks later, out of the blue, it completely stopped working. While I was out of town on vacation. All morning, I had been texting, checking my email and social media, taking photos, and listening to music. It was running slower than usual, but I didn't think anything of it. Suddenly I couldn't get any of my apps to open. Then the screen went black. I put it on the charger for 30 minutes or so, even though the batter had just said it was about half full, and nothing. Dead phone.

Aside from having my phone in the repair shop for 2 weeks out of the 2 months I've owned it, the battery life is not at all impressive (if you've read any of the reviews on this phone, the battery life is supposed to be one of it's best features), and it often runs frustratingly slow. I went online to find ways to make it run faster by removing unnecessary apps, files, etc., and it made absolutely no difference in the performance. If I had known this phone was going to give me such a headache, without a doubt, I would have chosen another phone, even if it meant paying twice as much... because that's what I'm going to end up paying after I get it out of the repair shop for the 2nd time.

I can't stress enough how much I DO NOT recommend this phone.
on September 2, 2015
I don't buy Bleeding Edge tech any more, I leave that to the Daring. I usually don't buy leading edge either anymore. I buy Proven Edge devices with a clear history of performance and flexibility.

The XT9326 release was a clear refinement of this model, a World phone, AND unlocked. I paid what I thought was a reasonable price for an unlocked, new, CDMA/GSM phone, and it loaded my Apps from my shared account from my last phone and 2 Android tablets.

The display is crisp, but not ridiculously QVGA on a handheld device.

Summation: I got what I paid for, exactly what I wanted. Nice screen, Carbon Fiber shell, Gorilla Glass, plenty of internal App space (About 140 installed) and it likes my 64GB micro SD card for storage. Yeah, I bleed a bit.

Great bargain if unlocked and under $150, new. A clear saving on the monthly bill.

I activated with Net10 for no charges added or up-front.
on July 12, 2013
Great battery life, better than my HTC EVO, 4G reception is great but disappears randomly at times. I see room for improvement in the camera's picture taking abilities but overall its decent.

I saved quite a bit of cash ordering this phone from Amazon VS going to my local Verizon store but the porting process was no walk in the park. I ordered two of the phones white for me black for the wife. Port # 1 was completed within 10 minutes of calling Verizon while port # 2 took several calls to Verizon before everything was settled.

One last thing, be mindful of the excessive first bill you will receive from Verizon containing activation fees and random taxes on top of your regular bill a week after you have barely used the phone.
on November 7, 2014
over the years I have had several motorola phones and will never get another. in less than 1 year I returned 4 razr phones, yea for warranties, the 5th phone actually works! well it does if I walk around the block to an area with no trees or wind or I drive to town. at home I am lucky if, standing in the top floor inches away from the window, I can chat more than 2 minutes before a dropped call. If it is -20 degrees outside my motorola phone has wonderful service, it doesn't get that cold often. one day I stopped at the local store and asked which brand had the best antenna, the answer was disappointing. yep, you guessed right, motorola. the annoying part is every other phone brand works fine in my house.
Sorry for the rant but I feel better.
on September 24, 2014
The phone is perfect other than a little cosmetic damage which doesn't matter it went straight into an otter box defender series the screen works no scratches speakers fine and loud haha batter life kinda sucked but that's cause I use the damn thing so much but in will make bit though most days before it dies.. All in all great phone great price I actually might buy another one just in case :) thanks again
on April 8, 2013
I have not been disappointed with this phone. It was easy to move from my Thunderbolt. The performance is snappy and the battery life is awesome. I can get almost 2-1/2 days on a full charge compared to the same usage on my old phone which was hard to squeeze a full day (12 hours) out of. Getting used to the new O/S wasn't bad. The shipping was quick and I had no problems activating it.