5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of technology
This smart phone has jaw dropping ability and performance.

Published on October 26, 2012 by Gary L. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Maxx Disappointed..
I am taking time out of my day just to indicate what a piece of junk this thing is. I've had this phone for 2 months now and would like to convey that Verizon and Google (who now owns Motorola) have seriously dropped the ball on this one. Due to a flaw in either electronic architecture or OS, this thing is just awful. Honestly, I am better off using my Samsung Galaxy...
Published 14 months ago by Sol Rosenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of technology, October 26, 2012
Gary L. Hall "Gary" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This smart phone has jaw dropping ability and performance.

Being from the bay area, most people in my age group have iPhones. Personally, I have had 2 droids and an HTC windows phone since smart phones started to be the norm. Each phone that I've owned was decent enough relative to it's peers and pretty close to the top technology of the time. This not only blows the old technology away, in an objective world it would dominate all other options. In fact, the more I show apple fanatics, the more I see that hesitation that comes with wondering if your iphone is really the cool thing anymore.

The phone is thin, even with the extended battery I think most people would be hard pressed to notice the difference between this and the thinnist smartphones unless they were actively measuring or comparing. In everyday use there isn't a difference in your pocket between 7mm and 9mm.

Obviously the battery is the main selling point for the MAXX but it delivers as promised. I easily got 2 full days of moderate to heavy mixed use without a charge, including the standard constant tinkering when you get a new toy, lots of internet, streaming music and video, navigation, bluetooth, and talk time mixed in.

HD Display is amazing. When combined with the large screen size it seems less ridiculous to actually watch television, movies, games, or whatever else you like. I can definitely see myself downloading a movie to watch on a long car or plane ride without any loss in visual fidelity. a 4.7inch 720p screen 24 inches from your face is every bit as enjoyable as a 50inch 1080p on the other side of the room.

The camera rear facing camera is as good as it seems to be possible to cram into a phone. The software is ok and the picture quality is good enough for most things short of serious hobbyists and professionals. The lack of a physical camera button is annoying for both launching the app and taking pictures but I will get over it.

This is more of a general Motorola Droid thing, but Smart Actions is an incredible app. It allows you to set up automatice settings changes based on various triggers. Want your phone to be silent or vibrate only at work? just tell it your work address and when you get there, it switches the volume settings and whatever else you like. Want to turn off the ringer after 10pm? give it a time related setting that expires at 6am and only allows calls from your selected "VIP" phone numbers during that time. Tired of wasting battery connected to 3G/4G when you're using Wifi anyway? set it to disable data connection when you have a wifi connection. The app is built in, very easy to use, and has endless possibilities.

There is also the near field communication technology. I have haven't used it yet, but pay by phone, and the NFC transfer (popularized by the samsung galaxy commercials) also appear to be available here.

Oh yeah, with the gorilla glass and kevlar, it looks nice too. Update: I officially had my first drop of the phone from just below waist level out in the city. I had a little jolt of panic since I don't have a case on it yet, but I couldn't find a blemish (probably a decent amount of luck involved too).

Seriously, unless you are very very concerned with taking near magazine quality pictures, this is your phone.

If you're looking for the right vehicle dock it is here Motorola HD Vehicle Navigation Dock for Motorola DROID RAZR HD/RAZR MAXX HD - Retail Packaging

This poorly rated dock is the one verizon is selling for this phone: Motorola Flip Stand with Smart Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging

Update 10/30/12:
Being that this is a phone--a quick word on the call quality after about a week of use. It is excellent. The incoming voices are clear and others can't really tell I'm on a cell phone. The bluetooth was easy to set up as well.

The one and only downside for me to this point is the lack of accessories. I haven't purchased a phone at launch before so this may be the norm but Otterbox cases, higher quality screen protectors and such aren't really available yet. Although, as far as screen protectors there is no reason you can't use the ones marketed for the "RAZR HD" since the screen has the same footprint.

Update 11/26/12: The Otterbox cases are now available:
OtterBox 77-22902 Defender Series Case for Motorola RAZR MAXX HD - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
OtterBox 77-22896 Commuter Series Case for Motorola RAZR MAXX HD - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
these are also available in a red/black and white/grey version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Droid Razr MAXX HD vs Iphone 5, January 22, 2013
I got the new iPhone5, 4 of them to be exact, and returned them all for 4 new Droid Razr Maxx HD's. I have a business, and I am in the field a lot. So are my people, and the iPhone 5 just doesn't hold up. With the new 4g network, the iphone 5 battery just doesn't last. Add on the fact the bluetooth on the iphone is very subpar, and it has a much weaker phone signal than most phones and certainly the Razr Maxx HD, it was an easy decision. I have a Jawbone ERA bluetooth headset, and when I put the iphone 5 in my pocket, it breaks up. I have a flexsmart bluetooth FM tuner in my truck, and the iphone will connect to it, but sound playback is only half what it is on an android device. And yes, everything, including the volume max limiter on the iphone is turned all the way up. Then throw in that Apple decided to pull one on their current loyal customers who have the 30 pin connector for their "older" iphones, and ipods, by switching a perfectly functional power cord to the new "lightning" cord, forcing customers to either buy an adapter, or buy a new cord. This would be understandable if they went to a USB 3.0 cord or something faster than the old one, but they did not. Rather they just gave it a speedy name, "lightning" and changed the end. More money out of the consumers pocket. Couple that in with the fact that itunes is now more of a marketing app and less user friendly (actually quite a pain in the arse to use) and I tried asking myself why I ever purchase the phones. It was an easy switch, and I couldn't be more happy with this monster of an android phone, the Droid Razr Maxx HD.

I must point out that you can buy expandable memory for Razr, where as an Iphone, you are stuck with what the phone has. The HD Maxx has 32 gb of internal memory and is expandable to 96gb with a 64 gb sd card.

I would like to say that I price matched this phone with Verizon through my local carrier rather than buy it on Amazon. Amazon is wonderful and they have great products at incredible prices, and their customer service is amazing. But buying through my local carrier is just easier for me.

The screen on the HD MAXX is amazing. I see less glare on this phone than the iPhone 5 in direct sunlight. The droid Maxx HD also has a higher screen resolution than that of the iPhone 5. You can go on trails hiking with the right app and keep track of everyone in your group via GPS, without having to worry about your battery going dead. This was especially useful when we went fourwheeling in the mountains. People would get lost, but I knew exactly where they were with my phone. My daughter has one as well, and I know where she is at on her way home from school and when she goes to the park. GPS drains your battery profusely, but again, you don't have to worry about it much with this phone. My voice is loud and clear to others when talking on the Razr and I hear everyone equally as good. There are and endless amount of apps on android devices and usually you can find great ones that you don't have to pay for. The camera on the phone is the only downside. It is good but doesn't take insane quality pictures like you might find on the iphone 5, but that is not what my phone is for. If you are going somewhere, where you are going to take a lot of pictures (like on vacation) take a professional camera where you can properly zoom in and have amazing quality. After all, I bought a 'phone' to talk on, browse the web, and use GPS, not take pictures. Don't get me wrong, the camera is good, but it's not perfect.

All in all, I would put this phone up against an iphone 5 any day of the week and then some. The iphone is being passed on the mobile market now. They had set a benchmark, and that benchmark has been passed. By not only this phone but the Samsung Galaxy S3. The Samsung Note 2 is another great one, but it is ultimatley too large for everyday use for a phone in my opinion.

There is a docking station here on amazon, "Motorola HD Vehicle Navigation Dock for Motorola DROID RAZR HD/RAZR MAXX HD - Retail Packaging", that is excellent for the Razr Maxx HD. Save yourself some money from buying a seperate GPS reciever.

If you are looking for screen covers, get "Halo Screen Protector Film Invisible (Clear) for Motorola XT926 (DROID RAZR HD) (3-Pack) - Premium Japanese Screen Protectors" . They are the best.

As far as a case, if you want to get one despite the phones Kevlar backing and front Gorilla glass, I recommend, "
Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD [ONLY FOR MAXX HD MODEL] (Verizon) [Retail Packaging]

UPDATE: I have seen a few people complaining about video and flash player on the Razr MAXX HD. Flash player does not seem to work correctly on the default web browser, Google Chrome. It works on Dolphin Browser but not perfectly. It does work perfectly in Opera browser mini. I have not tried it with any other browsers as Opera is a good browser. I imagine there is a plug-in for flash you can download for Chrome to make it work, but have not tried. If I do, I will provide another update. These web browsers are free in the app store and there are many more available than what I've listed.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Flash Player is no longer supported on Android phones (iphones have never had it and still don't), as everything is being moved to html 5. You cannot download flash player from the google play store anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't get it. To get it:
Go to your settings, chose "security" and choose, "Unknown Sources" (Allow installation of apps from unknown sources). You will get a warning that your phone is more vulnerable to attack by apps from unknown sources. Select "okay" if you agree or "cancel" if you don't want the file. If you select "okay", Go to: [ m.cnet.com/news/install-adobe-flash-player-on-jelly-bean-devices/57554629 ] in your web browsers address bar. There is a link there that will take you directly to a link to download the latest flash player. Note: If your phone does not allow you to download from unknown sources, you cannot get the file. The Droid Razr MAXX HD has this option, so you can still download the file as of 1/27/13. Now click on your apps menu (the icon on the bottom on the screen in the middle, on the Droid Razr Maxx HD)Find "files" and click on it, go to "Device Storage" and click on it, find "downloads" and click on it, find "install_flas..._ics.apk" and click on it. Flash player will be installed. After the file is installed, go back into setting, security, and uncheck "Unknown Sources" to be safe. Enjoy.

The more I use this phone, the more I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely polished. Oozes Quality., November 7, 2012
I bought the Razr HD MAXX and this is literally the perfect phone so far.

In short, this is the most polished Android phone I've ever used (and I've used a lot of them!). I haven't encountered a single bug or defect in hardware, software, etc.

The phone size itself if just right. I have normal size hands for a male and can reach everything on the screen with my thumb. No readjusting needed. As stated by others, the MAXX version is barely any thicker or heavier, get it!

In this review I'm going to focus on the software, as the hardware is pretty straight forward.

When I first got the phone the move over from my old phone was simple. After signing into my Google account, all contacts synced right away. I'd recommend using the app "sms backup and restore" to recover your texts from your old phone. I backed up the file to my dropbox so I could restore it easily.

The OS reminds me of my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is a good thing. Almost everything is stock Android. Need I say fast?

All screen transitions, opening of apps, app drawer, notifications, swiping, answering calls, touching widgets, etc. are silky smooth. You would think it already has Jelly Bean's "Project Butter." No lag anywhere in sight. Multitasking is a dream. While talking on the phone I was receiving texts, emails, etc. immediately. You can also have Facebook, gmail, Google Chrome, texting, dailer, ebay, youtube, dropbox, apps etc. etc. all open and the phone doesn't even notice it. It plays 1080p youtube videos without stutter and no buffering! These videos look incredible in hand.

Battery life. It has a ton of it. When pulling this phone out of the box, it was charged 30% from the factory. I immediately restored texts, contacts, accounts, apps (downloading all of them over 4G and then installing), etc. Basically abusing the battery for hours, on 4G tinkering with the phone. To kill the phone at the end of the night I had to turn screen brightness all the way up and download/watch a 1080p youtube video for a while.

If you are on the edge to buy this phone, it's obvious from the reviews this is THE best phone on Verizon right now. As far as I'm concerned, the best phone period. Between the build quality, speed, battery life, size, almost stock android, call quality, call and data reception, this phone gives an absolutely incredible user experience. I'm completely satisfied.

If I had to think of a con I'd say the fact that it didn't come stock with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. However, it's on the way by the end of the year says Motorola and the leaked build that has already surfaced.

Also, if you are on a fringe 4G area this phone may spend a lot of time searching for 4G and transitioning between 4G and 3G. This could make battery life not as exceptional or even not good at all. But, compared to other 4G phones with smaller batteries, this is the best choice. You can always toggle 4G/3G off and on with apps to save lots of battery life if you are in one of these areas. I'm in a decent sized city and I've only seen the 3G logo once, 4G the rest of the time.

I'm a normal guy btw, no motivation to write this review other than the fact I'm thoroughly impressed. I've had trouble with phones in the past and this one is the exception, perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Cell Phone Ever!, October 22, 2012
I've had the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD for two days now. I've talked on the phone while using the navigation software that was loaded and even surfed the net. The phone ran all three features for more than three straight hours...and used up less than 20% of the battery. I plugged it in when I got home and it was back up to 100% in less than 15 minutes. And, the downloads scream with 4G. I'll take something big to beat this phone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, but not flashy phone, December 9, 2012
I got this phone because my Droid X was a couple of years old and was too slow in downloading and opening apps and data. I considered the Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II and the HTC DNA before buying this. I liked the look and speed of the DNA, but the 16GB on storage and no micro-SD card slot ruled it out since I carry around at least 12GB of music. I liked the look and feel of the interface on the S-III, but it seemed a little flimsy and I can be tough on my phones. The Note II looks like a great alternative, especially with the S-pen, but it seems a little too large to be comfortable carrying around all day. I bought this because of the solid feel of the case and because of the advertised speed and battery life.

Compared to the Droid X this is a speed demon, although that isn't hard to do. Running benchmark tests it tests slower than the Samsungs, but faster than most other phones on the market. This is to be expected with the 2GB of Ram in them and especially with the Note's quad core processor vs. the dual core in this one. Still, this phone downloads apps and files very fast and opens and runs apps instantly.

The main benefit given for this phone is battery life. So far it does seem to have significantly more life that any of my previous phones. It seems to last me about 10 hours of constant use, not the 2 days that some people have been reporting. I have been using it a lot since I first got it to download apps, play around with the interface and test it out, so that is probably draining the battery faster than normal use, but probably not too different from someone who used it constantly for working on documents or playing games. Today it is at 33% battery life after just under 10 hours of use. At that rate it will get about 13 hours, which is certainly less than others have seemed to experience. I will see how it goes after more days during which I don't use it so much.

My one complaint is the interface. As someone else said, the widgets and functionality seem almost a step backwards from the Droid X. Yes, the screen is larger and brighter, but not enough to make it any more useful for working with documents. It is still a phone with the ability to do the occasional email rather than a workhorse messaging device. Mine got the Jelly Bean OS upgrade as soon as I activated it, it is working off of Android 4.1.1, so it isn't that it is an out of date version. It may just taking some getting used to, but I miss some features of the old OS, like the ability to move apps and contacts between the SD card and internal storage.

The Wi-Fi setting on this is getting annoying too. I have no problem connecting a laptop and 2 desktops over my current Wi-Fi at home, but this phone keeps trying to connect and refusing to saying "poor internet connection." When using the phone at home the Wi-Fi connection app comes up every few minutes, asks for my password, and then sits there while trying to connect.

I have made a few calls on it and as a phone it seems fine. The call quality is about the same as on the Droid X on both ends. The main difference is in the speakerphone, which has much higher fidelity than on the old phone.

Overall this is a good phone for someone who wants a relatively fast, solidly built but not too flashy phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, Motorola's best yet, October 27, 2012
T. Dog (MACHESNEY PARK, ILLINOIS USA) - See all my reviews
Really can't say enough about this phone. Amazing Screen, Super Fast, Built like a Tank, Water resistant coating, Feels great in the hand, Loud and Clear Speakerphone, Motorola reception that is second to none, and all with a super long lasting battery.

Is it perfect, no, but what phone is. If I could talk to the engineers at Motorola, I would ask them to put the Power button back on the top like the Droid X. I have a tendency to hit the Power button when I'm trying to adjust the Volume but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I also wish that instead of a "recent items" button, it was a "menu" button, but again, I'm getting used to the new configuration.

One more thing is that I wish the Glass over the Camera Lens were slightly indented so it didn't get finger smudges on it.

I really like the way this phone has a larger screen than the Razr Maxx it replaces, yet it's not as wide, like I said earlier, the new Maxx HD really feels good in the hand.

Now we just need Otterbox to hurry up and develop a Commuter case for it, supposed to be on the way though.

So, did I mention I really like this phone? If you're on the fence, just buy it, you'll love it, and you'll save a 100 bucks buying it from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone, October 18, 2012
I traded my Samsung Galaxy SIII for this phone. Couldn't be happier. AOSP Google operating system is the best. Amazing battery life is an understatement. Motorola is coming back now that google has control of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Phone Overall, October 25, 2012
I finally made the upgrade from my Droid X which I got in summer of 2010. So far I am loving the device. There is nothing absolutely game changing here (other than battery life) but everything works and works very well. The build of the phone is a big plus. It is a bit on the heavier size but feels like it was made to last. The screen is great. I know some have concerns regarding the display (PenTile) but I don't think you'd be able to notice any flaws unless you used a magnifying glass or something.

The camera isn't that great, but it isn't horrendous either. I pretty much only used my camera at concerts/special events in the past so this wasn't a deal breaker for me. If you do use your camera quite a bit, you may want to spend a little more time thinking about this issue before making the purchase. It's also unclear whether software upgrades could ameliorate this issue a bit?

Also, those concerned about shipping time when ordered: I had to wait about 5 days even though my projected shipping date was in December. Well worth saving the $100.

Finally, although not a surprise, the battery is the star of the phone. It is so nice not having to worry about lugging the charger around with me wherever I go. I can use the phone throughout the day worry-free and still have plenty left when I get home.

The reason for the 4 stars (would give 4.5 if allowed) is due to the fact that the camera is lacking as well as some of the specs. The specs would have been top-notch a few months ago, but this phone is not up to par with some of the newer devices coming out now and during the holiday season. Will it result it a noticeable difference? Who knows.

Overall, a highly recommended device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone available, October 23, 2012
This is the best phone available hands down. The iPhones always have all the hype but they never have the quality to back it yet people still buy them. I bought this phone from my local verizon store the day they were available. The salesperson told me they got 12 of these phones in for the launch day and yet I had no trouble getting one and didnt wait in line for anything. I love this phone for the truly amazing battery life. I use my phone very heavily by streaming video, music, navigation, web browsing downloading/uploading pics, VPN access to work and I havent plugged it in at night with less than 40% battery life. It is amazing!! the screen is next best feature as it isnt an IPS screen but it does have very very good pixel density and is very large while not making the phone itself large. The phone is just as thick as my old droid X's thinnest edge. I have always been a motorola fan because they are wireless pioneers and make solid phones and now they are owned by the biggest search engine in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNBELIEVABLY GREAT PHONE!, January 9, 2013
The Motorola Razr Maxx HD is by far the best phone that I've ever owned! I've had the Samsung Galaxy 2 (cheap junk and a huge disappointment!) and the Apple iPhone5 (decent phone, but much too Apple proprietary), but the Razr Maxx HD blows them both away in functionality, design and especially battery life! I'm a 51 year old real estate broker and needed a phone that's a tool, not just a toy. After being disappointed with other phones, I did some extensive research, then decided to go with the Razr Maxx HD. It works extremely well with my business applications and I'm not tied to a phone charger all day. It may be a slight bit larger than other phones, but I'm fine with it. I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone! P.S. I don't usually submit reviews, but was so happy with this phone that I felt an obligation to share with others. Go for it...you won't be dissapointed!