5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast charging with the Atrix!
See update on 4/21 for why this is a 5 star product!

Published on April 20, 2011 by John Walshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable specs
Published on January 26, 2012 by Toolman Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable specs, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Motorola P617 Rapid Dual USB Car Charger with Micro USB Data Cable - Bulk Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The jury is out on this charger. The website claims 850mA out of each port but the charger has "Output: 5V 750mA" printed on it. It does not specify whether the 750mA is the total output or the output of each port. Since the website is not consistent with what is printed on the charger, I'm not sure you can trust the specs at all. The input power claims to be 10-33V @ 1000mA so one would assume to draw that much power (over 10 watts), the device should be able to produce 750mA out of each port or 1.5A total (5V @ 1.5A = 7.5W) but I did not test it to determine the maximum current output. I may do so at a later time.

It did my Droid 1 and charge my HTC Rezound at the same time. The white LED is overly bright and you may find it offensive at night, depending on where your cigarette lighter jack is located on your vehicle.

I gave this 3 stars because I feel there are better dual chargers available for less and the specs were not consistent with what the website claims. As a side note, this charger includes a micro USB sync cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast charging with the Atrix!, April 20, 2011
See update on 4/21 for why this is a 5 star product!

4/20/11: Like the other reviewer stated, the USB car chargers do not seem to charge all devices. This was my experience with the Motorola Atrix. I did a measured charge in the car this morning. With data, Bluetooth, GPS, and wifi turned off on the Atrix, the test began at 7:45 AM and the phone's charge was 20%. At 9 AM 30% and 10:30 AM 40%. This is obviously nothing like the wall charger so it makes me believe that the phone is powered plus receiving a trickle charge. The product name is misleading in my opinion. I plan to call Motorola to ask for their input as would really like to be able to charge the phone in the car a whole lot quicker than this. Comments from other owners of this product would be appreciated.

4/21/11: Updated the rating to 5 stars. I neglected to mention that the test above was conducted with the phone in the Motorola Atrix car dock. I reported the in car dock test results to Motorola and repeated the same test today, conneting the phone directly to the USB car charger without the car dock. At 8:00 AM the phone was at 20%, 8:20 AM 40%, 9:00 AM 70% and 10:00 AM 100%. What a contrast!! So the issue is more than likely the Motorola Atrix car dock. I'll be reporting this to Motorola and would expect them to address with a firmware update.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, I didn't receive the quality product everyone else is raving about, December 28, 2012
The charger I received did not have the same model/serial number as the charger posted. But it did have a hologram similar to the one in one of the pictures taken by another buyer. It did not fit into my cigarette lighter well. I pushed it in and it would pop back out.

The USB cord did not work with the enclosed car charger, and in fact, I tried replacing the USB cord that came with my Razr M home charger with this USB data cable and no dice. Didn't work. The cable also didn't have the black/green ECOMOTO tag. It came with a white paper tag with a picture of a flip top phone with an X over the phone image.There was no authenticity hologram on either USB plug.

I ordered this through AMAZON not a third party and am surprised at this "bait/switch". It's going back and I will purchase a Verizon charger I saw here also through AMAZON. Hope I have better luck with it as there are some people who are getting the "bait/switch" with that product also.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresenting is the worst form of customer disservice, October 11, 2013
Listen, I'm a pretty tolerant guy. I give retailers slack, I have worked at many many service jobs in my life, and I understand that things sometimes don't work out the way that was intended. There are few things that I can't forgive, but getting a different product than is literally advertised is just the lowest of the low.

I went through quite an ordeal already before I ordered this one. I had another charger from Anker, but because of my iMagnet dock, I couldn't use it because the curled cord pulled the phone too much. I was frustrated, I tried to make it work, but it didn't.

So, I ate the 5 dollars to ship it back (still haven't gotten to the post office to send it though), and I ordered this because of its cheaper price and better overall rating.

Well, I get it, and I pop open the package, and there is this strange looking cable with an audio jack hanging off it...kind of weird, but who cares if it works right?

I plug it in when I get in the car, and I immediately get the error that this cable will charge my phone slower than the standard charger. -.- Wow. That sucks. So I said ya know, hey maybe it's not so bad. It is. It charges so slow, and will lose power when I navigate and use the phone heavily. What a waste of money.

Aside from the thing not being at all a "rapid charger"...I am really pissed that it ISN'T the product pictured. As many others have pointed out, the pictures look nothing like the cable, it isn't the official cable, and clearly that comes out when trying to use it. I honestly don't care if it's a little different, as long as it works the same.

This doesn't.

Really upset with this company, and I feel its practices jeopardize the trust that Amazon has.

5.0 out of 5 stars P617 Rapid Charger, April 29, 2013
This is just what I was looking for. Charger supplies "AC" charging current to my Droid RAZR HD from either socket for fast battery charging and plenty of power even if using navigation or other battery-draining apps. It works nicely with a Wilson "Sleek" Cell Signal Booster plugged into the other socket. I can power both units at the same time from one outlet. Fills the bill perfectly. It is not completely compact compared to other units out there, but it's not huge either. The sockets being offset a little is nice. The LED is bright, but the charger can be rotated so that the light is not directly visible. Also nice to have an extra USB charging cord since it's easy to lose them, or just to have a spare. For around $9, this is a no-brainer. Very satisfied with this charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, November 24, 2012
Wayne Wilson (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Seems well made and is able to keep up with power drain during GPS navigation and still provide some amount of charging. Having 2 USB outlets is helpful as just about everything portable we have uses USB charging now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Car Charger, July 30, 2012
My husband and I bought smartphones, and these phones need to be charged much more often than regular cell phones, so I bought this car charger. It works well. Plug one end into the car charger and one end into the phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and my husband has a LG Lucid. It works for both brands of phones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge well, September 3, 2013
The best I can get out of it is to keep my phone at the same percentage it was when I plugged it in, regardless of how long it stays plugged in. My drive home is about 45 minutes and if I plug my phone in at 50%, it will remain at 50% for my entire drive home. Whether the screen is on or off, whether I talk on it or not, whether I plug in one device or two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough, March 9, 2013
This thing is lower power than a no-name $2 charger. With navigation or other apps running, your phone will get hot, and will NOT charge. With Motorola's other car charger, my phone charged very quickly, and didn't get nearly as hot when my phone was doing navigation or other heavy work.

I've give Motorola the benefit of this doubt, but this charger is sadly disappointing. You should go find yourself a non-name dual-port charger that actually delivers a full 1-amp output on each of the ports.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered, August 20, 2013
The cable that came with this product has images that suggest it is not for phone charging or use in a computer. It is a nonstandard cable that has weird connections involving an audio jack. This is not what I ordered and not what was pictured in the advertisement for the product.