1,920 Reviews
 (1,389)

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION, for Docsis 3.0 Installations
I was renting a modem from Comcast for $4 per month which really was horrible. The modem would crash, reboot, not work, etc... I spoke to some Comcast tech's on Twitter and they recommended I go and buy this modem since it was not yet being distributed by them in my area. Voila, off to Amazon I went.

I purchased the modem, it arrived the next day. I turned...
Published on October 24, 2009 by Tarunc

1.0 out of 5 stars "May" have compatibility issues with Comcast
Like another recent reviewer, this Docsis 3.0 cable modem may not work with Comcast, even though SB6120 is listed as one of the "approved cable modem 3.0" on Comcast's website. Google "sb6120 comcast problem" and you'll find more details.

The comcast technican/installer was at my house and spent 45 minutes trying to make it work. The SB6120 seemed to be...
Published on January 11, 2011 by AmznFan

‹ Previous | 1159 160 161192 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepping for the future, January 2, 2010
This review is from: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem (Personal Computers)
MidCoNet called and said our old DOCSIS 1.0 modem was going to cause us trouble after some system upgrades. I had been thinking our 6 yo modem was a bit antiquated. I decided to get the SB6120 due to good reviews and other future upgrades. I have seen some improvement in speed, but it is limited because of our other somewhat out of date equipment. Wireless router(Linksys WRT54G) is 4 yo but still works fine. Our two laps (3 & 4 yo) are "G" and our two desktops(even older) are wired, so can't see upgrading router to "N" yet unless I find a spectacular deal. We live in a rural area so it will be a while before DOCSIS 3.0 gets to us. Since modem had to be replaced, it was a good starting point for our future system upgrade. Except for the quick call to MidCo to initiate unit, it was simple plug and play. Not a single glitch in the 3 wks its been up.

Update: We now have DOCSIS 3.0 available, but have only upgraded one of our Laps so haven't upgraded service. It has been 10 months and still not a single problem.

Final? update: The future is here. Modem has been running nearly 2 years/24/7 without a glitch. Upgraded to a Netgear Dual Band "N" router and both laps are now "N". The system has sped up significantly, and I've slowed down. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Best has Arrived!, December 25, 2009
JFF3 (Goodyear, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This is absolutely the "Best" cable modem I have ever used and I would guess it is probably the best one on the market for the average consumer. I would highly recommend this modem to anyone looking to upgrade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola SB6120 SURFboard Cable Modem, December 23, 2009
Installation was very quick and easy with verification at Comcast. Have been using for a month with no issues at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast, December 22, 2009
R. Krater "rkrater" (salisbury, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Just replaced my comcast modem with this one. FYI : return your rented one first before trying to activate this one. They couldn't have this one and a rented one the same account.

From
[...]
19.67 Download Mb/s
4.26 Upload
Ping 21ms
From a server ~100miles away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement, December 22, 2009
Phil Zampino (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I had to replace an EOL rental from my cable provider, which prompted me to finally purchase a cable modem rather than continue renting one. The installation couldn't have been easier, especially since my ISP provides a completely-online registration of new devices. I was up and running in about 10 minutes (including removal from the package). So far, I haven't had to perform any manual resets like I've had to with the previous modem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement, December 20, 2009
Albedo 0.39 (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
I bought this modem because Amazon had it for a great price. My aging Motorola Surfboard 4200 modem is still chugging along after 8 years of use, which is DOCSIS 1.0 certified! Did a simple swap out with the old modem, called tech support and provided the new MAC address, and I was up and running in several minutes. Ran several speed tests with a site that I regularly visit and discovered a 20% increase in download rate. The upload rate did not change. I would definitely recommend this modem, especially if it lasts as long as my 4200.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with the right firmware, December 18, 2009
I initially had huge problems with this modem. It would lose the connection after just a couple of hours of service. Then it would stay down and fail to auto-reconnect unless I unplugged the power and plugged it back in. Even then, it'd frequently fail to re-sync with the cable service.

After some Googling around, I found out that the firmware wasn't up to date. (Mine was dated Oct 2008 and in Nov 2009) And it turns out that you cannot update the firmware yourself. I don't know why that is, but apparently it is your cable company's job to maintain firmware updates and send them to your modem. So I called up Cox. Calling the cable company == bad news. But it had to be done. At first, the technician didn't even know what I was talking about. Later he said that he'd never done a firmware update before. But he searched around and found out that they do have newer firmware for the SB6120. He tried and failed to send the new firmware update a couple of times. But kept on trying different things on his end and it eventually came through. (Next time he does it it'll only take 2 minutes.)

The firmware that came through was March 2009 (newer, but not as new as what other folks on the net were getting from other cable providers). But it worked like a charm and it stays up on its own - no more spontaneous sync issues!

However, while it no longer loses sync after short periods of time, it does appear to lose speed after longer periods of time (like 24 hours). After rebooting, I'll frequently get 20-30 Mbps (once I even got 50!). Give it 24 hours or more and that will drop to under 10 Mbps. Of course, it still blows the doors off of DSL speed. Rebooting fixes it and the speed will go up. So it appears there are still some firmware issues. But until Cox gets the newer firmware in their system, I either have to live with it.

Other than that, the web based management interface needs help (maybe newer firmware fixes it). The reset button on the modems management page at [...] doesn't actually reset. I have to manually go to [...] to do the reset. That's also a little scary that anyone on my network can just hit that URL and restart the modem - there's no password protection or anything like that. I've accidentally done it myself when the browser autocompletes the URL and goes for the reset page.

And, like pretty much all cable modems on the market, the front panel LED lights aren't always very intuitive. I dream that one day, a cable modem will come out with an LCD screen on the front of it.

Bottom line: great modem for the price, but may be problematic on Cox until they get their firmware act together. Comcast users all seem to get the newer firmware and better service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Satisfied - Easy Install - Faster Speed, December 18, 2009
Trigger for my purchase was Comcast rental increase from $3 to $5 monthly on a DOCSIS 2 Motorola Surfboard Modem. Found this unit easy to install. Used Comcast Chat to change the MAC ID. My Comcast service is DOCSIS 3. Download speed up from 12 meg/s to 18 meg/s. Upload from 1 meg/s to 3 meg/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Considerable speed benefits, even on DOCSIS 2.0 services, December 17, 2009
This cable modem is very impressive. Installation was simple, getting it connected through Comcast, (over the phone), was simple. I ran a few speed tests before I installed this cable modem, then ran tests after this new DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem was installed. While I expected a speed increase, (based on reviews I read prior to purchasing), I didn't expect my download and upload speeds to essentially triple on my current DOCSIS 2.0 services; with the possibility of an additional increase coming later, according to my ISP.

There's no need to wait until DOCSIS 3.0 services are available,(and/or reasonably affordable), in your area. If you need a modem replacement, or just want better performance, not only will this modem be ready for DOCSIS 3.0 services, but in the mean time, you'll receive a considerable speed boost on your current DOCSIS 2.0 services. I'm very impressed with this modem, and it's certainly worth the additional funds over cheaper, (soon to be obsolete), DOCSIS 2.0 modems. Whether if you're paying a model rental fee to your ISP or not, (especially if you are paying), if you're tired of the old, slow, (DOCSIS 1.1), and/or problematic cable modem you're currently using, this new modem will be a great replacement.

Motorola Surfboard modems have served me well for years, and this new modem, will certainly do so as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Modem for Home Security, Gaming, and more!, December 17, 2009
I recently purchased this modem at the same time I replaced my Wireless Router. What a great purchase. I have noticed a dramatic difference in the speed of my internet access.

I have cable internet and it had been a while since I purchased my previous modem; therefore, I did not remember that I needed to contact my service provider before I could get the modem up an running. Nevertheless, Cox provides 24X7 support, so I was able to get it up and running immediately that same night.

Aside from the excellent technology that Motorola provides, it is aesthetically pleasing to look at! It complements the modern decor of my home office and equipment.

‹ Previous | 1159 160 161192 | Next ›