Motorola SB6120 and Phone service Does the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem support the use of telephone services over cable? I have the comcast triple play with TV, internet, and phone. Hoping this modem supports phone services as well, but nothing about VoIP in the tech details... Thanks in advance.
[UPDATED] asked by Andrew S Fredrickson on November 17, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
votes
No. You would need this SBV5220: Motorola SURFboard SBV5220 Digital Voice Modem with Integrated Battery Backup

Apparently there is a SBV6120, but comcast does not support it, and they are hard to find.
If you can find it, you should check with your provider before purchasing it.
Joe046 answered on December 24, 2010

A
votes
how about splitting the coax, so data goes to the SB6120 and phone com goes to the comcast hardware that controls their phone? your comcast central office has to provision the SB6120 for the data and do a separate one for the phone. then again, your comcast might be one of the poor Comcast service areas like a friend has had in Sycamore Illinois. I haven't had too much trouble in California when asking for changes in the service setting up... good luck
Martin Murphy answered on January 7, 2011

A
votes
I also have Comcast TV/VoIP/Internet, and Comcast installed a splitter immediately after the cable comes through the wall, so I'm going to assume the SB6120 will be compatible, since it was on their recommended equipment list. I just ordered one; should have an answer in a week or so.
Selden Deemer answered on February 4, 2011

A
votes
I don't know if this answers your question, Andy -- but I do SKYPE with my homies back East -- crystal-clear video AND audio -- and I also run daily VOIP tests at this site: whichvoip(dot)com, with excellent test results.
MY SB6120 has met every challenge for over a year, faithfully and flawlessly.
I'm on COX Cable --20/2 package.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 99584 kbps (12448 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 9115 kbps (1139.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Friday, March 11, 2011 3:02:14 AM
C. Hallowell answered on March 11, 2011

A
votes
Did your SB6120 work with VoIP? I have the Comcast Triple Play as well.
Big Fella answered on March 30, 2011

A
votes
Yo, Big Fella !!
The SB6120 has been handling everything that I can throw at it -- for over a year now -- and with never a problem of ANY kind that was traceable to the SB6120 itself.
I have 3-way-Skyped with my friends in Philly and Jacksonville for hours at a time, with never a blip, bleep, or boo-boo !! Both audio and video are clear, sharp, and un-interuppted.
I've been on cable Internet for 12 years, and the Motorola SB6120 is the one of the very best pieces of computer-related hardware that I've ever owned and/or tested !!
It runs coolest when mounted on the wall, with about 1/2" of space behind it, and the wires hanging straight down.
As I've said elsewhere, keep about 4 feet of distance between your Modem and your Wireless Router to prevent performance-robbing interference.
V.O.I.P. testing gives low Jitter, 0 Packet loss, excellent Latency, Excellent Q.O.S., and an MOS of 4.2 - 4.4
That's with EITHER the D-Link DIR-655 or the NETGEAR WNR3500L -- both are "N" wireless routers.
C. Hallowell answered on March 31, 2011

A
vote
To add to the info about what works. I have Comcast cable connecting to the SB6210 then to a Zyxel Zywall USB20W firewall/router. I have had a Vonage box and now an Ooma box behind the the firewall working perfectly. Both have worked well. And like SlikLizrd, Skype is excellent too. I am using the Zyxel's ability to select the ethernet port for the Ooma to be a DMZ to the outside. And I have given priority to the DMZ for needed bandwidth, that is probably not needed but will not hurt. I now have a great voip system. And the costs of my phone/internet/cable tv are much less than the cost of Triple Play. $47 internet, $13 phone (2 line), $17 cable tv a month (basic-basic). Test results are 21.42 Mb/s down, 3.66 Mb/s up with a 21 ms ping time. The Motorola has been fantastic with Comcast.
Martin Murphy answered on March 31, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›