5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff
This modem/router works great with comcast. With the modem/router comcast wanted to rent me I was getting 8Mg download speed. With this Motorola SBG6580 I am getting 25Mg.
Published on May 1, 2012 by Alan Lee Joachim

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast modem, terrible wireless router
First off, I am not new to routers or technology but this thing is difficult to set up. The settings menu is not intuitive and is quite confusing.

Published on July 26, 2012 by B. Shumway

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast modem, terrible wireless router, July 26, 2012
B. Shumway (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews

I purchased my own wireless router for home use and to my surprise, the cable company provided a Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580. The cable guy pulled the typical "hey you dont need a router, this has it" and I just smiled and let him leave. I decided to do some objective wireless speed tests between the two routers before I put the SBG6580 in bridge mode and used the EA3500 for my wireless.

So I ran several speed tests as far away from my router as I could get in my house from my phone and HP Touchpad running AOKP Android ICS with the SBG6580.

Results (SBG6580):

The average result was 4.3 Mbps download and 2.11 Mbps upload

Fair enough...so I put it in bridge mode and attached the EA3500.

Results (EA3500):

11.05 Mbps download and 3.92 Mbps upload.

These were taken minutes apart from the same location in the house with the same devices. The only change was the wireless router.

Clearly the EA3500 is the winner. It was easy to set up, it is much faster than the other router option that I had, and there has been no loss of connectivity or random drops.

Instructions for putting the SBG6580 in bridge mode:

1. Unplug coax cable from Motorola

2. Hold down the white reset button on the back panel with a pen for 30s. This resets all settings to factory defaults, including the setting that doesn't let you reconfigure the modem ;). The modem will be auto-reconfigured once you plug in the coax cable, so don't worry.

3. When modem is back on plug in a computer with an Ethernet cable into the modem (say, Port #1).

4. You should be able to connect to 192.168.0.1 and login with "admin" / "motorola"

5. Now you will make some changes:
* Wireless -> Primary Network -> Disable (this will disable the wireless features of the modem)
* Advanced -> NAPT Mode -> Disable (this is one of the settings that makes the router into a simple bridge). The router will restart itself now, continue when it's back on.

* Basic -> DHCP -> Disable

6. Connect port 1 on the Motorola modem to the WAN port of your Linksys. Plug the coaxial cable back into the modem and power cycle it.

7. Once the blue Network light comes on the modem, your Linksys should have requested and received a public IP address. If this is not the case, click to "Renew Lease" in the Linksys interface.

8. Success!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent modems but terrible firewall/router software, May 12, 2012
I had a Netgear WNR2000v3 and a Metrocast provided cable modem. Everything was good but it was limited to DOCSIS 2.0. I found numerous positive reviews about the Motorola Surfboard modems. Having had a Bitsurfer from Motorola in the past for ISDN connectivity I had good experience with Motorola. This SBG6580 is an excellent modem but the firewall/router interface software is something straight out of the early 2000's. It is just plain terrible compared to the Netgear. I highly recommend you pass on this modem/router/firewall combo and get the Motorola SB6121 modem and a separate firewall/router/wireless unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars These (I have 2)work for me, but then one started having wireless issues, May 14, 2013
Original Review (updated with the problems I have recently experienced, below):

I have two of these in two different properties, and they work fine. Each property is about 1800 square feet, and they provide adequate coverage for these size locations. One is working with Time Warner in New York City, and the other is working with Comcast in Delray Beach Florida. I had no problems getting Time Warner to change their network to use my own modem, and the installation with Comcast was a new installation and I just gave them the C-Mac address and it worked with no problems.

The unit in New York City is in a 56 story apartment building (my unit is on the 40th floor), and I can see about 40 to 50 wireless networks on my wireless devices. I have had no problems with interference from other networks.

The wireless configuration menus are a lot more complicated than, say, the Apple Air-Port equipment I use at my primary residence, and unless you are experienced in setting up stuff like this you may have to fool with it to get everything to work the way you want it to. If you are a total dunce with stuff like this, you might have to get someone to help you. (Pretty much anyone can set up an Apple Air-Port!)

I like that the modem, router, 4-port Ethernet switch, and wireless access point are combined into one box. This is especially important in smaller houses or apartments that do not have electronics closets or other places in which to locate this type of equipment. Eliminates a lot of clutter with separate boxes. Mine is located in the master bedroom on a bedside table, as that had a cable outlet already installed nearby. So it is at one end of the apartment, but I still get OK coverage at the other end of the apartment.

Also, the apartment in NYC is not often occupied for months at a time. Since it was installed in March, 2012, I have not had one time where I had to re-set this box, even if I had not been there for 4 to 6 months. This is especially important to me as I have 4 Bayweb Internet thermostats that I need to be able to monitor and adjust from afar, and this has not let me down so far.

The unit located in Delray Beach is in a house occupied by my son, and it has worked with no problems also and has never required re-setting. In this location, all the cable wires terminate in a box in the laundry room, which is more or less in the middle of the house, so I mounted it high on the wall there, and get good coverage on the first and second floor of this location.

I also like the fact that I am saving the $7.00 modem fee that Comcast charges, and now Time Warner is also charging for their modems.

And last, these units work fine with my MacBook Air, my iPhones, my iPods, my PCs, Skype, and my MagicJack phone service.

UPDATE June 26, 2013

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that sometimes web pages were very slow to respond on the SBG6580 located at my New York apartment. After this happened a few times, I started up a few ping sessions (using Terminal on my Mac) and the next time this happened, I noticed the pings started failing at the same time the web pages would not load. This was happening perhaps once or more an hour and lasted perhaps 30 to 60 seconds. Then the problem cleared up, the web pages would load, and the pings did not fail.

About the time I became really concerned about this, this failure happened while I was on the phone, using my MagicJack, which is connected to the Gateway using an Ethernet cable. I was really surprised that my call did not drop!

So, I began suspecting that the Gateway was not disconnecting from the cable service, and the router was not resetting, or whatever, but that something was interrupting my wireless signal.

I looked around my apartment and I discovered there was a cable outlet in my living room (behind a large piece of furniture), so I moved the Gateway to the living room. Previously it was located in a bed room, where a cable outlet was conveniently located.

Now, my Mac is much closer to the Gateway -- less than 20 feet, and the signal strength is very strong. But the problem continued. So, next, I plugged my Mac into the Gateway using an Ethernet cable, and now there no more slow to load web sites or failing pings.

So, it appears that the Gateway is staying connected to the Internet, the router is not becoming glitched, etc., and that something is interrupting the wireless signal. I am located on the 40th floor of a 56 story apartment building, and I can see dozens of WI-FI SSID's from my apartment, so there must be a huge amount of interference. I am going to borrow an Apple Airport and try it to see if it has the same issue. If the Apple also has this problem, then I believe it will be reasonable to assume my problem is related to interference. If the Apple works OK, then I think it will be a fair assumption that the wireless in this Gateway is not up to the task of working in a crowded RF environment. I will report my findings with this experiment in a few days.

P.S. I have tried using various 2.4 GHz channels, and the auto setting, which has not resolved this issue. I would just go wired, but it is much more convenient to be able to move my Mac around the apartment, as well as we have iPhones and iPads and a second Mac that would not be easy to run an Ethernet cable to.

UPDATE June 27, 2013:

I hooked up an Apple AirPort Extreme to the Gateway, and have no interruption now in the WI-FI signal. I did not turn off the WI-FI that is built into the Motorola Gateway, just plugged it in and let the AirPort get an IP address from the Gateway for this test, and used a different SSID.

Therefore, I conclude there is something about the SBG6580 Gateway's wireless that is either defective, or just cannot contend with all the other wireless signals that are all around me.

I am going to take the SBG6580 to my house, which is in a suburban location where I cannot see other SSID's, and test it there to see if this problem continues or not. Only then will I know if there is something wrong in the Gateway's wireless section, or if the problem is just that the SBG6580 can not contend with all the other wireless signals. I will update this review when I have done that the week of July 8, 2013.

For a permanent solution at my apartment I hooked up my old Motorola SB6121 cable modem, and am using the latest Apple Airport Extreme that I purchased yesterday. I really liked being able to have a single box that had 4 capabilities all in one box -- cut way down on the clutter to have the cable modem, router, wireless access point, and a 4 port Ethernet switch all in one box -- too bad. Now I have two boxes -- cable modem and Apple Airport.

Update July 8, 2013:

I have taken this to my house which is in a suburban location. I cannot see any other SSID except for my SSID from the SGB6580, as I am quite some distance from the closest house.

The problem described above still occurs at this location. Since the SBG6580 is now in a location where there are no other WI-FI devices, the problem cannot be interference. And, there are no cordless phones at this location, nor are there any baby monitors or any other 2.4GHz devices which could cause interference.

So, something has just gone wrong with the wireless portion of this router. When I first installed it I did not notice the problem of web pages sometimes being very slow to load, but starting about a month ago, I noticed this issue, and did the testing with the Ping utility described above.

I would like to reiterate that the problem, which is a temporary loss of the ability to access the Internet, even with Ping, only occurs on devices that are connected wirelessly. When I connect my MacBook using Ethernet, to one of the four Ethernet ports on the SBG6580, everything works fine.

Due to this problem I am reducing my review to 2 stars, because the SBG6580 was purchased in March, 2012, and has developed this problem in just a little over a year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., July 25, 2012
Yes it's fast, but if you're like me and you're looking at this modem because of it's built in wireless "N", keep on moving. I can be ten feet away from this modem and I'll only get a 60% signal. If I go out of the room I'm lucky to keep a connection.

This is the same issue on our HP laptop, IBM laptop, iPhone, HTC droid, iPad and our wireless printer...

I have contacted Motorola about the issue and I have done everything they suggested and nothing helps this poor excuse for a "wireless" modem. I have changed through all the channels it has to offer and moved it all over the house. Nothing helps.

Motorola thinks it's interference from my house and it's not the modem... Yet I have hooked up old wireless routers that have zero issue giving me nearly 100% signal ALL over my house...

Now this piece of crap is over a year old and all I get from Motorola is a too bad attitude and they will try and help me trouble shoot further, for $30.

Thanks Motorola, but no thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, May 1, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars ****WARNING**** THIS IS AN MSO (ISP) VERSION OF THIS MODEM. NOT MEANT FOR PUBLIC SALE, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem in Non-Retail Packaging (Brown Box) (Personal Computers)
Buy the RETAIL version of this modem.

The MSO or Brown box version of this modem is made for ISP Rental USE and not for public sale originally..... while it looks exactly like the retail version has a small flaw. You will not be able to use the WIRELESS portion of the modem properly.

This version will contact the activation server when provisioned and disable the wireless. The Retail version will NOT do this.

People claim its TWC doing this and while that might be partially true its BY DESIGN. If you buy the RETAIL version of this modem you will not run into this issue.

Below are 2 links for people who have this issue, its because they bought the MSO/Non-Retail Version.
[...]
[...]

Don't be like them, spend a few dollars more, save your frustrations and get the RETAIL verison that will work fine for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, February 11, 2013
This things was no fuss to set up, comes with parental controls (you can completely shut down the internet during certain times of day through the router's IP, if desired, for all computers and other devices on your network), and has worked consistently without any problems for over 6 months now. I use it for my mobile phone, a Kindle Fire, and two laptops, and never have a problem with lagging. The range is far enough to cover our home entirely (a single-story, three bedroom house) and our backyard (which is not small). Very happy with this purchase, and very happy to not be paying the cable company for their "rental" anymore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 26, 2012
J. Sun (Hartford, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Speedtest.net (thanks to the info provided somewhere) tested download speed around 25 M with Comcast. No problem over 2 weeks so far and its size smaller than the Comcast rental. Returned rental on the day of account activation - feels good.

By the way, eco friendly packing is a great idea, highly encouraged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Comcast, August 19, 2012
I got this because I didn't want to rent a modem from Comcast and it was on their approved list. I know very little about modems but was able to set it up easily. We have a 2 story, 3000 sq ft house and get coverage everywhere. However, we got a repeater to boost the signal to our bedroom which is farthest from the modem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great! Easy setup, May 7, 2012
Plugged it in, looked at the instruction disk on how to get in to setup. Set up 2 wireless networks, logged on to the network and checked my speed. I was hitting 30Mbps on a 31Mbps network. No problems. I would like the ability to set a bandwidth limit on the second network, I don't see that I can do that on this product, but it was a good deal.