2,734 Reviews
 (1,301)

986 of 1,022 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Amazon Experience - Wonderful Motorola Product
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:43 Mins
Sorry for the Dyslexia - This review is on the Motorola SBG 6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Gateway - during my video I used an imcorrect model number :(

BIG PLUS to this unit: You do not have to buy a seperate WIRELESS N ROUTER which saves about $100 or so additional cost. Some have said they bought the lesser Motorola unit...
Published on April 30, 2011 by Techie

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, Stay Away!
The option of having a cable modem with built in wireless N and 4 port switch was enticing, rather than having both a modem and a wireless router. It would save me $13/month vs renting one from my cable provider Time Warner and be a next generation cable modem with very nice wireless speeds.

I like a lot of others, ignored the bad reviews in light of some good...
Published on February 12, 2011 by Brad

3.0 out of 5 stars Motorola's instructions are wrong..., April 9, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N Router- Retail Packaging (570763-006-00) (Personal Computers)
The modem is, according to everyone I've spoken to at Comcast, a very fast modem and is a great performer. I just got it so I'll have to see if that's true. However the instructions Motorola provides are wrong, in a lock you out of the modem kind of way.

[...]

The following instructions are incorrect and will lock you out of the SBG6580:
---------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR NETWORK - CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORDS!
Default passwords are commonly shared on the Internet. Protect your information and your network from unauthorized access; change the modem's default passwords BEFORE connecting to the Internet.
Use an Ethernet connection to change the passwords. NEVER configure your modem over a wireless network connection.
1. Open a browser window.
2. Type in the IP address for the modem 192.168.0.1.
3. Type in the default Username; admin.
4. Type in the default Password; motorola.
5. Type in your new username in the Password Change Username field.
6. Type in your new password in the New Password field.
7. Re-enter your new password.
8. Retype your new username in the Current Username Password field.
9. Click Apply.
10. Write down your new password and default password.
---------------------------------------------

After login, step 4., you need to go to the Security tab on the left, which is an additional undocumented step.

If you follow the instructions as presented you will be locked out of the SBG6580, no username and password combination will get you back in, you will need to perform a hard reset to get back to the default username and password. That will of course reset all of your settings to the factory defaults.

Step 8. needs to be:
8. Retype your old password in the Current Username Password field.

Restoring the Default Username and Password
CAUTION: This process removes any custom configurations from the modem. Before resetting the modem, create a backup copy of your configurations.
1. Select Yes under Restore Factory Defaults.
2. Click Apply to reset the default username and password.
3. Log in again using the defaults.
---------------------------------------------
If you followed the factory instructions for setting your own username and password, you are now locked out of the modem and can't get back in to restore the defaults username and password. So these further instructions are useless. You need to use the hard reset button on the back of the modem to restore it to factory defaults. Be certain to hold the button until all 4 LAN port lights blink on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Except for one correctable flaw runs great!!, January 30, 2011
No problems at all getting it connected to my ISP, Suddenlink. If you have Windows 7 you do not need the installation disk that comes with it, except for the user guide, which is a little sparse. Win 7 will install the necessary device drivers. I found it very easy to set up my wireless network, security settings, and port forwarding.

When I first hooked it up I had a few disconnects until I disabled IP Flood Detection. As one reviewer already stated it is located under the Firewall page and by default it is enabled. Bad Motorola. It should be disabled by default. It's been running 6 weeks now with no disconnects.

For those complaining about speed and wireless range, this is a 802.11n, DOCSIS 3.0 modem/wireless router. Get some 802.11n USB wireless adapters for your laptops. I have a cheap Airlink 802.11n USB wireless adapter on my HTPC, which is one floor down and on the other side of the house from the modem, and it's pulling in 100% link quality, 88% signal strength.

3.0 out of 5 stars Close . . but no cigar, February 16, 2011
G. Kim "Mr. Gadget" (Rosveille, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is my second Motorola SBG6580. As a cable modem, it is an outstanding DOCSIS 3.0 unit. My 12MB package was consistantly giving me 20MG download speeds with Comcast (Xfinity)and 2.5 - 4MB uploads.

The problem was enitrely on the router/switch side. The first unit would give all my PC's a DHCP address and ran fine, but my HP Laserjet 4350 (a common business printer) would not pull an address and neither would any of my four ReplayTV DVR's. I worked for an hour with their very good tech support and he couldn't figure it out and suggested I return it.

I returned as defective and Amazon, in classic style, sent a replacement overnight and a prepaid shipping label for the return.

The second unit, once activated with Comcast, immediately gave my printer an IP address. I was overjoyed as I thought my problem was solved. But, alas, my DVR's would not take an address.

Once again, I called tech support, and after 30 minutes, they could not explain it, other than to say it must be something with my DVR's.

I returned the unit, ordered a Cable Modem by itself and hooked up my Belkin Wireless N Router/Switch which probly issued EVERYONE an IP address.

Bottom line: running DOCSIS 3.0 with the cable modem now, but using an external router/switch.

Bit of a bummer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Comcast, May 1, 2012
This modem worked okay with Comcast cable internet until April 2012, then it started frequently disconnecting. Searching Comcast's forums revealed lots of people are having this problem due to an incompatibility with the firmware the SBG6580 is shipped with, SBG6580-3.1.0.0-GA-07-180-NOSH. It needs to be updated to SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH (dated 2/8/2012). However, updating the firmware is very hard; in my case it couldn't be done. The modem is built so that it is impossible to update the firmware yourself (major design flaw!). Your ISP must do it. I had two different Comcast technicians try for hours to update the firmware with no success. I ultimately had to buy a new modem because this one no longer works with Comcast, regardless of what Comcast's website says. Comcast may eventually figure this out and become compatible with this modem again, but as of May 2012, stay away from this big headache.

You can argue that a 1 star review isn't fair since Comcast is really to blame. Lots of people are getting a 5 star performance from their experience with the SBG6580, and I'm not disagreeing with them. My personal experience has been 1 star, and based on the Comcast forums, many people are having the same experience I did. So take my review as one experience out of the many expressed here, and do some careful research on compatibility with your ISP before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased! (Updated 08/05/2011), July 2, 2011
I'm not sure what the issues are of those who have written their reviews about what a poor product this is. I installed mine yesterday to accompany my new installation of Comcast broadband internet, replacing my AT&T U-verse. I didn't want to pay modem leasing fees where I could avoid them. As was pointed out by others, why buy a modem AND router for more money when this will do the trick for my small set-up?

The gateway was cinch to set-up and I have the speed I need for my household's use. I followed the enclosed instructions, supplemented with some tips I picked up from a post here by Techie, that made it a breeze. I run two Win7 laptops wirelessly with an XBox 360 connected via ethernet; I can stream a Netflix movie though the XBox and have both computers on the web with no issues.

My suggestions:

1) make sure you check with your ISP and be certain this device is supported;

2) follow the enclosed directions; and

3) from Techie,
Open your web browser(Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc; this is on the instructional sheet that comes with the gateway) and type in the modem address 192.168.100.1 then enter the username (admin) and password (Motorola) and hit the login button. I'd change this log-in later when you get the chance.

The following are suggested instructions from Techie that do not appear in the set-up directions yet may address the speed issues that some have reported:

Locate the FIREWALL tab across the top of the page. Click on that.

Locate the IP FLOOD DETECTION check box and UN-TICK IT (remove the check mark) then click on the APPLY button.

Hit the ground running. I was fortunate in that my Comcast installer was here to contact them to get me going on their end. The rest is a breeze.

UPDATE:

One month later and I have had zero issues with this item. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to consolidate two pieces of gear into one relatively small, convenient box that performs well and to anyone who wants to avoid modem rental fees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid, January 23, 2011
J. Wallace (Owasso, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the SBG6580 a few months ago to replace an aging Linksys WCG200 gateway. The Linksys had been fine, and it got me addicted to the all-in-one concept, rather than having a separate modem and wireless router. I never had much trouble with the Linksys most of the time I had it. However, it did seem to be starting to "go," with more frequent reboots required toward the end. So, I checked my ISP's web site (Cox) to find out what wireless gateways were on their "good guy list" and I found the SBG6580 on it. I was very interested in upgrading from wireless G to N, and a quick search of Best Buy's site told me that my local store had the SBG6580 in stock. I found it very easy to set up, and I started running speed and ping tests on it to see if it was really "all that." The ping test revealed some issues, and as noted in other reviews, I traced it to that darned "IP Flood Detection" checkbox on the Firewall page. I turned that off, and BOOM, I was off to the races! I just checked the Status page, and the gateway has been "up" for over 66 days without interruption. I heartily recommend this device.

1.0 out of 5 stars HEED MY ADVICE AS WELL AS OTHERS... DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!, February 14, 2011
By far, this is one of the worst pieces of electronics that I have ever purchased. Yes it worked perfect for the first few hours, and then the problems began. The unit would continually lose all internet connectivity, and maybe, just maybe re-powering the unit would fix the problem, but usually not. I consider myself fairly tech savvy, and after the Motorola tech kept asking me to read him the dB power values, and commenting that that could be causing the issues, I began to think that these techs have somehow been trained to dodge the real problems of this unit and hide under the "it must be a power problem". Blah... blah... blah. After being on the phone with both our internet provider as well as Motorola multiple times, this Router/Modem piece of junk combo was headed back to Amazon.

Replaced this unit with the Motorola 6120 (hesitantly... only after so many great reviews) and a Netgear router, and not one problem with either. I had read the other reviews stating that the combo units have had lots of problems, but thought I would be one of the "success stories". Don't be fooled. They simply have not found a good way to combine these two pieces of hardware successfully quite yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible router, February 16, 2011
When hooked up with an ethernet cable, the modem worked fine. But the wireless router that is built into it is bad. There was an obvious slowdown in speed when the signal strength was 3-4 out of 5 bars -- just two rooms away!! -- that I confirmed with speed tests. I played with all the possible settings for the wireless and filters, and the wireless performed badly, from bad to just terrible. The wireless is unusable at the 5 Ghz frequency, and would only deliver an adequate signal at 2.4 Ghz. That rather defeats the purpose of having an N router.

The machine is light as a feather, and for that reason feels cheap. It's performance is certainly problematic. I also noticed that there is no user interface to update firmware. This is a bad piece of work, stay away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Reliable, February 6, 2011
_Rupicolous* (- Middle of Nowhere -) - See all my reviews
Great Modem/Router - has extensive online safeguards that are user defined.

Read the reviews and proud of my selection.

Gamers - First thing - get online and turn off Flood Gate Detection.

Fast and future proof - You'll be satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this modem if you need to get bug fixes to code and you are with comcast, October 9, 2011
Short and sweet here. I have old firmware running on this device. Comcast won't upgrade it because they say they are not responsible for it. The motorola website states:

"We apologize about the inconvenience, but your Motorola modem does not support manual upgrades. Motorola is not allowed to control the upgrades of DOCSIS devices, per the standards specification. Any firmware or software changes must be implemented via the cable network. Your cable provider can update the firmware based on what they have approved for their network distribution. Because of that Motorola is not capable of installing firmware for cable modems. Please contact the cable operator to obtain information on upgrading firmware on the cable modem."

So there is no way to fix my bug that is associated with the wireless connection being extremely flakey.

I have learned a lesson. Never buy an "all-in-one" product when you can't upgrade the code yourself.