5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on Virgin Mobile and an excellent phone.
If this phone came out a year ago, it would be among the top performing phones from any carrier on the market. Its very fast Snapdragon processor, vivid 4.1" touch screen, and rock-solid Android 2.2 performance were cutting edge 12 months ago. I don't say that in a disparaging way, but rather want to show where this phone fits into the spectrum of available devices. If...
Published on July 28, 2011 by S. Power

2.0 out of 5 stars A few key facts - UPDATED with Problems
[UPDATE: My initial review was posted after using the phone for 2 or 3 days. I've now used it for one or two more weeks, and numerous problems have been revealed, leading to me downgrading my review from 5 stars to 2. See my new comments further down.

UPDATE 2: I've had the phone for nearly a month now and it is getting returned. The final update is at the...
Published on August 2, 2011 by Gabe W

‹ Previous | 127 28 2944 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow (at first), September 21, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Triumph Prepaid Android Phone (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Here's what I wrote when I first got the phone:

"I'm completely satisfied with my Motorola Triumph. It works great. The screen is responsive. The interactions are smooth. Every app I've tried works great."

However, over time, and probably because I installed quite a few apps, it got painfully slow and clumsy. Because you can't "root" the phone, you can't run any utilities to keep it clean and speedy. Your only option to get it fast again is to reset it (just like a computer with Windows on it :-) Once you do that, it's fast again :-)

If you plan to reset it, make sure anything you want to keep is on the SD card.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best prepaid phone, September 19, 2011
I was a long time AT&T customer and have had service with Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile as well either provided by my employer or on my own. I opted for Virgin Mobile because of their unlimited data plan and their pricing overall. I had Virgin Mobile Blackberry and when I decided to opt for an Android phone, I researched all the options available including prepaid as well as the Big Four. I can't see pay $80.00 for something you can get from Virgin Mobile for way less.

The downside is, of course, you have to buy your own phone...this is definitely the best out there for prepaid service. The only drawbacks are, first, no 4G, and second, I am not wild about the form fact of this phone, which is a square brick. But it can do a lot of stuff, including connect to your TV to stream video. I have not had any issues whatever with any functions. When researching this phone I read a lot about 4G versus 3G and how many times the increase in speed is not that much. I for one have seen no issues at all with download speeds.

So I basically like this phone a lot. I wanted a phone with a big screen and this one has it. Of course you have to pay up front but you quickly recover the cost in lower monthly bills. Remember this is the Sprint network so it works fine I think...until Virgin Mobile opts for a 4G phone which is as nice, I am sticking with the Motorola Triumph.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but Goodie!, September 15, 2011
First of all, I am sorry if you are not in a good Virgin Mobile area to receive clear calls. For the ones that are, then this phone is great. I was going to hold onto my Optimus V, until I was able to find the Triumph for around $150. VM has alot better phones now. Yet, if you still want the $25 plan. This is the one to have. When activating your phone, use 4D99DUWW code for a free 60 Minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid step forward in the pre paid world, not quite perfect, September 15, 2011
I've had the Motorola Triumph for almost a week and I think I'm ready to give a decent review.

For starters, what everyone else says about the GPS signal is completely true, it sucks. I can't get a signal, and I've never go it to work properly. This isn't so much of a deal breaker because I don't have a need for GPS. It is annoying, but I can manage. The second con I want to get over with is the battery. If you do a lot of surfing, prepare to carry a charger wherever you go. It doesn't hold up very well. I hope Virgin Mobile ups the OS to 2.3 to cure some of the battery management issues that 2.2 can't seem to control. I have Advanced Task Killer installed, and it's helped some, but I would much rather an upgrade to 2.3

With the cons out of the way, let me get to the pro's. It's insanely quick, they aren't kidding when they say it has a snapdragon processor, it is very snappy. The screen is bright and looks pretty good. It does get a little washed out in sunlight, but its manageable. What would take five seconds for my LG Optimus V to accomplish takes less than a second with this. It support flash, which is awesome (Apple, take note) and lets you watch anything you want on the interwebs, very awesome.

If I had to do it again, I might have waited until 2.3 was released for the Triumph, but I'll wait and see what happens. I'm waiting for the modding community to release a fully functional 2.3 flash before I go that route.

5.0 out of 5 stars VM Triumph by Motorola is a great buy, September 1, 2011
Bought VM Triumph on 08/28. So far 3G reception is great, able to stream YouTube vids while driving around town with no issues. Phone calls sound like HD quailty, loud and clear, and haven't dropped call yet. Downside is that there is a little VM "bloatware" and battery gets drained a little sooner than I would like but overall a great buy when you consider VM's unlimited voice, data and text plan. Highly recommend this phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars PAID FOR A NEW PHONE - GOT A USED ONE!!!!, February 1, 2012
Wish I could review the phone - wish I could use the phone. Tried to activate it with VM and they said that the serial number was associated with another phone number - hence the used phone. I'm REALLY whizzed with the Amazon seller right now and I'm not too happy with Amazon for using them as a preferred seller or whatever they call it.

The phone turned on and looked great but it does me no good - mailing it back tomorrow, then I think I'll beat my husband and kick the cat. Just kidding, I don't have a cat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Triumph Useless, January 12, 2012
J Rusty Benton (ORLANDO, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
Motorola Triumph ordered continues to turn itself off and will not reboot until 30 minutes or so goes by even with my repeately pushing the power button. Removing and reinstalling the battery sometimes helps to get it to turn back on about one in 25 times. How annoying !!!! Even during a call or surfing the web, it will just turn itself off for no reason and will not come back on. This is my first smartphone and isn't a great way to start. Battery life when it does work is about 2 hours usage and due to the issues mentioned above, I haven't even had the opportunity to see what the stand by time is. I have many important calls coming in and since it keeps turning off on it's own, I have missed many call opportunities of me trying to sell my condo in Orlando. So far the best word I can describe about this phone is it is a piece of _ _ _ _ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (go ahead and fill in the blanks in your head.

2.0 out of 5 stars The specs are good but the build quality is terrible., November 24, 2011
At the start of last summer I found myself in the market for a new cell phone. With the rumors of a buyout from at&t on the horizon and virgin's very attractive prepaid unlimited data plan and this phone announced for release it seemed like a no brainer to jump onto this plan. When I looked at it on paper the phone with the cheap contract was the best bang for your buck out there in the cell phone market.

Well the specs may have been good, and the price may have been right, but the phone was a dud. In it's ideal condition the phone suffers from several livable, but annoying flaws. There is a screen flicker when you awaken the screen sometimes, sometimes the screen goes all while when you hit the power button, and sometimes the picture gets wavy. This is rectified by just turning the screen off and on again but for something that cost me at the time $300 new I was pretty annoyed to have such issues. Besides that the gps takes forever to lock on, and no it wasn't a faulty model they all have this problem it's an issue with the gps chip. So yes you can have 8 satellites in view, with a good signal but it might not lock onto you for ten minutes. Of course sometimes it just turns on after 2 seconds. Another minor but annoying enough issue is that the touch screen is just not very sensitive. It's a huge step up from my tiny, nonresponsive, non multitouch g1, but that thing had a little track ball to help when I needed precision that my screen refused to give me, this phone will make certain tasks like selecting text a bit of a pain. All together these issues don't ruin the phone entirely, but for something I paid a decent amount of money on these are pretty unacceptable and it really makes the device seem cheaper and less polished.

Of course my biggest issue with this device is poor build quality. I didn't expect a motorola phone to be this bad given that this isn't their first android device and the company seems to have a decent enough reputation with regards to quality but early adopters of this device were punished with phones that died numerous ways. My phone personally lasted from july until november without issues, and then my phone died. No real reason for it, I just turned my phone off, and when I tried to turn it back on again it wouldn't turn on despite removing the battery and putting it back in again. Now virgin mobile was very helpful, all of their phones come with a year long warranty and I called them up and told them what was wrong and they sent me a new phone in the mail in a couple days. The day after that my second phone died of the same death as my first. I called again, virgin was just as helpful and another phone was shipped to my home. This time the phone doesn't even last a day. I turn it off, and it refuses to come back on. After the third phone I bought a used nexus s for about the same price as this phone and decided to go back to t-mobile.

T-mobile has a $30 prepaid plan now(though it only has 100 minutes voip programs can make up for it on android) and the it looks like the AT&T is not going to be able to buy out the t-mobile and corrupt their plans and service. Virgin is a good company, the signal quality while hit and miss was about as good as t-mobile, and the price is certainly appealing, the only problem is their top of the line phone is a turkey. When the phone did work at it's optimally it was as advertised a solid midranged device, but there are a lot of duds out there. If you get a solid one, that's great. If not, well your out of luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a difference the extra screen real estate makes!, August 1, 2011
Mike Heinlein (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
I have been a happy Virgin Mobile customer for some time now. The $25 plan is great, especially with the unlimited web, but with the LG Optimus V I seemed to have reception problems. I now know that the reception problems had to do with the Optimus along with its general sluggishness, as I've had no such issues with the much snappier Motorola Triumph. I had read some disparaging reviews online about the Triumph which made me apprehensive about moving my service over to it, but my experience has been purely positive.

Even though others have said that the Triumph is pretty "vanilla" Android 2.2, I would have liked to see some kind of built-in task manager (holding down the Home button on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, for example, brings a list of recently-used applications and a "task manager" button that allows you to selectively kill apps). I've found that is a good way to extend Android's less-than-stellar battery life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this phone-issues, October 10, 2013
You won't see this phone at major retailers, they know it had problems and no longer carry. My phone freezes you have to pop the battery to unlock. It also reboots on itself 3-4 times a week. I've had to reconfigure it from scratch twice in 16 months, which wiped out everything. There are much better phones for your money out there.

‹ Previous | 127 28 2944 | Next ›