Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Labor Day Savings with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on January 1, 2006
Lets get one thing straight - you will never buy this phone for its features, so why give it a bad review because of its lack of features? This phone is meant for one thing -- Style. And not one other phone in the market comes close to this phone in style - and the sales of this phone prove it.

The signal strength on this phone is very good. In elevators where I didnt get signal with other phones, this phone picks up enough signal to carry the conversation through without any of those "didnt hear you - can you repeat that?". I really havent seen another GSM phone with signal quality as strong as this one, which is funny because this phone's antenna doesnt even stick out (internal antenna). Bluetooth audio is clear - I have verified this with the Jabra BT200 and the Motorola HS820.

Camera is good, but not as good as some other phones out there. Video is good, not as good as other phones out there. No memory card. Here's the bottom line - if you want a phone that works like a good phone and looks damn good, this is the phone for you. If you want a phone that does videos / audio etc, then look elsewhere - or wait for the v3i.

Want a good looking phone with great voice quality? Buy this phone. Theres really no competition. Want a camera + camcorder + mp3 player + organizer + toaster? Skip it...
on May 12, 2005
The Black RAZR V3 is the wireless phone I have always wanted. It's that simple.

Before having bought mine, I would read commentary from people who would cite all of the features the RAZR doesn't have: "I could buy the (insert model number of cheaper, but still expensive phone which does 100 different things--all of them poorly) and get more for a lot less money." When I would research a model recommended by these self-proclaimed gadget freaks, I'd find that it's dimensions make keeping it in a pocket an awkward and uncomfortable proposition; I'd find that the pictures it takes are not nearly of comparable quality to those taken by even a modest digital camera; I'd find that the lo-res video it can shoot serves no practical purpose; I'd find that web-browsing, game-playing, Instant messaging, streaming television content, all suck up battery-life and ultimately make the device useless for the unlikely purpose of placing and taking phone calls; I'd find that the phone casing is composed of cheap and flimsy plastics which make me wonder how long it wll last; I'd find that little attention had been paid to how the phone's design will contribute to, or detract from, user comfort. After my investigation, I concluded that for all the money I would save by buying "Phone X" over buying a RAZR, I would still have paid hundreds too much for a filmsy hunk of cutting-edge technojunk. (Don't take my word for it. Look around on the Net for comments about the RAZR around the time of its inroduction and see the recommendations from consumers that people choose the Motorola V600 instead. Then look at the consumer reviews of the V600 on this site.)

The RAZR has a camera, a web-browser, Instant messaging capability, and a whole array of other features all of which are listed in the product description. To the extent that the RAZR does these things adequately I will offer little, if any, comment--mainly because I don't care about them. That to which I can and will attest is that the RAZR exceeds my expectation on how it serves AS A PHONE.

Using my own criteria, a wireless phone should draw and hold a signal; It's earpiece should deliver clear sound at a volume which can compete with background noise; it's mouthpiece should pick up the users voice clearly; it should be compact enough to allow for placement in clothing pockets without creating prominent bulges; it should be solidly built out of durable materials which are not prone to scratching; it should have decent battery life. And yes, anything for which I pay hundreds of dollars should be designed with aesthetics in mind: there are far too many wireless phones which look like disposable children's toys, or like awkward, all-purpose, button-riddled gadgets.

Using the above criteria, the RAZR V3, particularly the Black model, is close to perfect. The sound from the ear piece could certainly be louder, but I have yet to have a caller's voice drowned out by the noise of busy New York City streets. The people to whom I'm speaking have reported to have heard my voice loudly and clearly. Battery life could be longer, but then, the same could be said about many wireless phones which are bulkier and have larger batteries. I have used the phone on both T-Mobile and Cingular networks and found that it draws a strong signal on both; it has never dropped a call. I found the speaker phone to be loud and clear despite my expectations to the contrary. Is the much-lamented Motorola phone book program clunky? Yes it is. But the RAZR's voice-dialing works well, making it possible to avoid scrolling through the phone book if one hates it that much.

I'll try to boil it down with a somewhat clumsy analogy: Complaining that the RAZR doesn't do enough in the way of tech-gimmicks to justify its price (which is considerably lower that it was when it was introduced) is like complaining that an exotic sports car isn't worth the money because it doesn't have a cup holder, a GPS system, and DVD player like the Minivan you've been looking to buy. That ridiculousness ignores the engineering that makes the sports car a superior performer on the road, and the attention put toward making it sleek and aesthetically pleasing. The RAZR's performance has made concern over signal strength a thing of the past. and its design is unmatched--not just for it's ultra-compactness, but for the solidity of it's build. That makes it worth what I paid for it. And my inability to speak to the quality of other phones on the market put them out of consideration.

Besides, as they say, black is beautiful.

That the RAZR cannot serve as a business-card scanner doesn't trouble me. For those who need to have whichever feature-laden mobile gadget is most desired at the moment, buy a Samsung MM-A800, clip it on you belt (you'll need to), and earn yourself the right to say your phone can do just about everything--poorly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2005
I've been using a black RAZR for 3 months and here are my thoughts:

THE GOOD

========

- FREE!! with a T-Mobile 1-year family plan

- Better reception than my previous, 3 yr-old Nokia handset (6610)

- Can use the same phone when travelling in Europe, Asia. Just need to get a pre-paid SIM chip locally.

- Can be charged from laptop using included USB cable.

- It's BLACK.

THE OK

======

- Passable voice quality. (Maybe it's just because it's GSM technology, and coverage is not fantastic in outside of cities.)

- Slim profile, though a little heavier than my previous handset

- Nice colors in screen. Great ringtone sounds. Though these are pretty standard nowadays.

- Decent bluetooth range. Paired this with a Jabra BT800 headset and I can run into the coin laundry with my ear piece and still connect with the phone in the car outside.

THE BAD

=======

- Short battery life. 7 hours talk-time as advertised is a imaginary. Phone starts to beep after 2-3 hrs of talking.

- Organizer (calendar, alarm, notes, contacts) doesn't sync correctly with Outlook.

- Oily screens!! The inside and outside screens and the metallic keypad get oily fingerprints after every use (is it just my skin?!) Looks yucky and kinda destroys all the aesthetics.

Tried wiping now and then but notice minor scratches start to accumulate. (My clothes are not always cotton and I don't usually carry eye glass cloth.)

- Low camera resolution. Other new phones have close to twice that resolution. Pics always kinda dark.

- Camera doesn't take video.

- No MP3 or radio. Some of the newer Nokia and Sony models are close to iPod Shuffle capacity already.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am a cingular customer and was totally bummed when I found out that I couldn't get this awesome phone from my provider. A lot of people online have been questioning why someone would get a phone from here for so much money when you can get one from T mobile stores, but if you are not a T mobile customer you need an UNLOCKED version of the phone to use it. All I had to do was put my old sim card in it and it worked! I have not experienced any problems at all with my phone so far. It works great and it is beautiful. It works great as a phone and the camera and video opions are fun. It also comes with software and a cable that connects to your computer so you can transfer songs and pictures to you cell, which is awesome. You can take any song and make it your ringtone for free! I would like to say that a lot of people complain that this phone isn't a great camera, mp3 player, etc...but those things are just for fun extras. Buy a digital camera or an i pod if you want all that! If you like style and pink this is the phone for you! The only complaint I have is that it took almost a month to arrive!
on May 21, 2006
Don't expect this phone to work any better than a Motorola V551. I wrongly thought with the price as high as it was that I'd have perfect reception and no dropped calls. Nothing has changed.

Don't get me wrong, this matte black phone is slim and sexy and lightweight fun and easy to slip into a pocket. But those are it's biggest draws.

Some other cons include:

-The large square screen and key pad get dirty easily from holding the phone up to your face. I don't wear make-up, but if I did, I can imagine that I'd always be taking a toothpick to all of those little crevices between the keys on the flat keypad all the time. As it is now, I'm constantly wiping the screen and keys.

-The battery life is not long and if you're going anywhere overnight, remember to bring your charger.

-The operating system is the same as other newer model Motorola phones, so don't expect a big upgrade there either.

If Cingular is your provider, the sim card from your current phone will work in this unlocked version nicely. However, make sure you've saved all of your numbers and info on the card and not on the old phone before you take the sim card out of the old phone, because it doesn't slip into this phone very easily. Once it's in, it is difficult to remove.

If you have some extra money to spend on a new phone and you don't mind the same reception problems as cheaper phones, then this is the phone for you.
on December 23, 2005
The RAZR is a very durable and reliable phone. Contrary to other reviews I have dropped my phone several times and it keeps on tickin'! My wife has the pink RAZR and I have the black RAZR and both of us are extremely pleased. This is by far the best phone on the market. It separates itself from all the other plastic and cheap phones.
on August 13, 2007
Great phone functionality wise, but horrible hardware quality. My third replacement phone just stopped working- one week after the one year (cingular) warranty expired.

All three failures were the same problem- the keypad stops functioning except for the end/power button.

I guess it is just a form-before-function problem, as my Nextel Motorola i730 (work phone) doesn't skip a beat after 3 years of drops, tosses, kicks, etc...

I'm bitter and I have no other recourse than to post a bad review since Cingular and Motorola now say it's my problem. I'm sure it will hurt them dearly... LOL
on June 10, 2006
The phone works great. Great reception, sound, and video quality. The only real problem is the charging. Plug in the charger, set the phone down and it is charging fine, come back in a few minutes and it is no longer charging as if the cord is not even there, or it has completely shut down and is no longer charging. Have to unplug the cord and replug it and the charge starts over. This can happen over and over, can take days to charge this phone. Have taken it back twice. First time they replaced the battery, it did the same thing. Second time they replaced the whole phone, it worked great for a few weeks, now the new one is doing the SAME thing.

What good is a phone that won't charge!
on October 9, 2006
I purchased this phone from Amazon last week. I have tried several chargers and this will not charge. I called Motorola and they say this is not a U.S. issued phone and therefore they will provide no warranty on it at all.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my fourth consecutive Motorola phone. I've owned a Timeport, v66, and v600. The Timeport was simply terrible. The v66 was a little better, but the Motorola menu had to be the worst of any phone I had ever used. My v600 was a very pleasant surprise. My sleek and functional RAZR is the best phone that I have owned. I really like the large crisp screen. The tiny external screen is a great addition. After three weeks of fairly heavy use, I haven't had any problems. The RAZR has pretty good talk time, but I'm not certain whether or not one can really get the 7 hours claimed by Motorola. The feature that I really like and appreciate is the abilit to charge my phone with a standard USB cable. It's nice not having to carry around an extra charger when I'm already lugging around my laptop and its power supply.