Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

on January 1, 2010
I ordered this phone to replace a worn-out Razr that I've had for a few years. I love my Razr; it's the perfect phone for someone who does not need a fancy iPhone, Blackberry, touchscreen, etc. I expected a completely brand new phone, unlocked, direct from the manufacturer.

The phone was locked (it needed a code) and had a "Refurbished" label. T-Mobile and Amazon could not help me so I called Motorola. I provided the MSN and IMEI codes (one-of-a-kind ID numbers assigned in the factory) from the phone, and he said the codes were not in the database, meaning the phone had been sold by a carrier or refurbished.

I asked Amazon for a replacement. The replacement phone did not have a "Refurbished" label and did not ask for an unlock code; I inserted my SIM card and made and received calls. However, the phone has AT&T logos, screensavers, browser links, etc. While it was technically unlocked, it was not what I expected. The next morning, all the keys and buttons stopped working. The phone was a complete dud after less than one day of use.

This time I asked Amazon for a refund. I guess I could ask for a third phone, but I'm sick of this and I found a much better price and warranty on the exact same item at another retailer.

This page does not state that this phone may be refurbished, may have carrier branding, or may be locked. In my experience all of these things were true. Two different customer service representatives told me that every time they send me a replacement, it is from the same batch that Motorola sold them so it may have the same problems as the phone I'm returning.

Bottom line: Amazon admits that, when you order this item, they don't know if you will receive the product described on this page.
77 comments| 263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2009
This is my first review ever. This is also the first time I have ever ordered something from Amazon that was not what I expected.

The phone does work. It was also new, as stated. Works fine. This does not appear to be a US version though.

1.) The included manual has a table of contents going up to page 100+... The last page of the manual cuts off at page 80-something. It also says in the back to contact Motorola-Asia for assistance. Not a deal breaker, but this may indicate the level of detail of the seller.

2.) I say this does not appear to be a US version because I have two (2) used U.S. Razr v3's in my briefcase right now and this is just not quite the same. This seems it might be a U.K. version.

My 2 previously purchased US versions do NOT have the extra button above the wheel/pad. This seems to be the only visual distinction...which results in...

No such things as "missed calls" on this phone. It is classified as a Received Call, but either has a "check" or "no check" next to the entry seemingly indicative of it being a missed call or not.

Speed dial assignments (1 though 9) are 4 digit values (1001 through 1009).

Cannot lock Smart Key on phone exterior.

No light illuminated when charging.

"Center" is spelled "Centre"

Installed graphics are not even remotely the same.

Doesn't seem that time will auto-set.

Doesn't even use the same battery part # as my 2 other U.S.-purchased phones.

That is why I do not believe this to be a U.S. Version phone as stated.

I am not very happy about this. I am going to seek to get this resolved. This is why I purchased this from Amazon because I believe they will make this right.

End
1010 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2009
I have never written a review before but I think this is important. These phones are NOT new! I purchased two of these phones for my sons. I tried to set up the internet and found that the phone was either used or refurbished and had the previous users information. Both also had parental control blocks on the internet and the previous users passwords were necessary to remove the block. I called my carrier and they told me there was nothing I could do and I should return the phone. I am extremely disappointed!
44 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2009
Due to another reviewer stating they had received a European model, I called in first to verify that this was the US version and was assured that it was. However, when it arrived, it contained a European charger. The scary part was that the Motorola sticker on the box actually stated "euro simple pkg". You'd think that this would have caught someone's attention.

In addition, after working with both the phone specialists (plural) and customer support, Amazon was reluctant to return my money for these phones. Their site states that cell phones are only eligible for replacement and a refund option is not provided. The phone specialists apologized and emailed me a return RMA and UPS sticker. I promptly returned the phones, both the original and the replacement. I received email confirmation of receipt of both returns. Both emails, however, stated that no monies would be refunded due to replacements sent. There was no second replacement/third phone involved. They now have the phones and were stating it would be 3 to 4 weeks for the refund to be researched. Finally, after contacting a supervisor, my refund was processed.

On the upside, I placed another order for the silver razr v3 and it was the correct version. It arrived promptly and worked great out of the box.

Word to the wise!
on January 15, 2010
I bought this phone in July,2009 and it stopped working in Jan,2010. Phone comes with 1year warranty.
We left message on the phone number provided on warranty card - no one calls back.
Sent email to address provided on warranty card.. email does not get through.

So don't count on warranty as it suggests..
11 comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2009
I also called to verify if the phone was the U.S. version after reading the review that stated it came with a European charger. The customer service person at Amazon assured me it came with a U.S. charger. However, when I received the phone, it came with the European charger. The phone is also European, words are not spelled in the American way and the phone displays military time. This is not a big deal to me, but I would have preferred a U.S. phone. I ordered a new charger and the phone works great. This is also the first bad experience I've ever had with Amazon.
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2010
I have been with At&t since it was Cingular, and since I didn't want to get locked into another 2 year contract, I went for this. Its a great phone. I ordered it on the 1st of the month and it arrived on the 4th. Battery was charged, and since at&t compatible, I was off and running. Now for the con's even though you save everything to your sims card, it DOES NOT transfer to the new phone, but I did go from a Nokia to a Motorola, that may have been the glitch, because my husband has one (a Razr), and we tried his sims card and yep, all his info is now on my phone (all except the photos). Its easy to use, the user guide that's provided is useless, but go to the Motorola site, and download, or read what you need to know, and your golden. So far, no dropped calls, sound quality is good, it is user friendly, not too big, or too small for those of us who tend to misplace things. Programed ring tones are awful, but that's to be expected. You will loose all your photos from your old phone, unless you know how to transfer them, all in all, a great buy. I don't think you will be disappointed.
on July 14, 2010
I bought this as a replacement phone for my Father. He loved the Razr phone but as new models came out he upgraded, tried 2 others but never really liked them as well as the Razr V3. The carrier did not carry them any more so the search was on. I found this on Amazon, good price, quick delivery and as Advertised. The phone has worked well out of the box and my Father is very happy to be using what he considers the perfect phone. I would recomend the seller and this phone for an easy to use, dependable unit.
on June 14, 2009
A replacement for my original Motorola Razr V3. I guess they don't make them like they used to. Not the same, quality-wise as my original, but it'll do. Paint chip off easily, sure wished I had opted for the silver one, not black.
on December 9, 2009
Description says "with warranty" read the fine print. i obviously didn't. It died after 45 days and no warranty after thirty days. Sad product. Don't waste your money!