After my dreadful V551, I was hesitant to return to Motorola. Since my Sony Ericsson S710a didn't work out, and since my wife's V3 has been solid so far, I decided to give Moto one more chance with the V3i.

First, the build quality and materials are EXCELLENT. The machined aluminum outer casing, and machined nickel keypad, provide substantial heft (this is good) and tactility. Moto could've used a little better plastic in places, but it's fine otherwise.

Second, although its resolution is lower than the S710a's, the V3i inner display's physical screen size is about the same. Meaning it's plenty large, not to mention clear, colorful, and bright. The outer display is nothing special, but it is a compromise for better battery life, so I can live with that.

Third, unlike Sony Ericsson, the new Moto's (V3i, SLVR L7, etc.) sport an industry-standard mini-USB charging/data port, and use standard memory cards. (I put a 1GB TransFlash in mine and it is amazing.) No more proprietary chargers and cables, nor goofy Sony-only "Memory Sticks."

Fourth, the Bluetooth. Motorola has come a long way to improve their implementation, and though it is not as full featured as Sony Ericsson's, it is almost unshakable in its stability. (Sony Ericsson has the reverse trend. The T616 had great Bluetooth, the S710a's was unstable. The new W600 and W900 are equally unstable.) Range is excellent, too.

Fifth, reception and call quality are both excellent. Volume could be better, but is still adequate. I have to admit, though, that the S710a was slightly better with earpiece and speakerphone audio volume and quality.

Finally, the much maligned UI. Yes, Sony Ericsson trumps everyone with their interface and Address Book; Motorola executes both of these rather clumsily, thus requiring a steep learning curve. However, two areas where Moto outshines Sony Ericsson are 1) consistent UI responsiveness and 2) broad customizability.

My only other gripe is the 50 song limit in iTunes, even with the memory card upgrade. However, I'm an iPod owner, so this doesn't concern me too much.

Now for a word of warning to Mac users. My iTunes-equipped V3i, unlocked and unbranded, came from an overseas market (phone and manual languages included UK English, Vietnamese, Bhasat, and Thai). It has full Bluetooth functionality with my Mac, including iSync. However, some V3i's don't work over Bluetooth - the Mac can't "see" any of the phone's services, thus preventing file transfers or iSync-ability without a USB connection. I can't say for sure if this is related to iTunes or not, but so far it seems the iTunes-loaded V3i's work better. Caveat emptor!
on February 27, 2006
I got this phone a couple days ago and I am very impressed it has some pros and cons. I never used a regular v3 so I can't really compare it to that. I don't understand what one of the reviews was talking about saying the phone book is hard all you have to do is start search then you can type in the first letter of the name you want to get to and it'll take you to the names in your phone book that start with that letter, but thats neither here nor there.

Some things you want to consider before you order this unlocked non North American version of this phone. Not all V3i's come with itunes, only Australia, NZ, Indonesia, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Turkey, South Africa, Rest of Africa, North Africa, Israel, Thailand, and finally Middle East versions of the V3i come with itunes. Is the one amazon is selling from one of those markets I don't know, I got mine off ebay. But even if it doesn't come with itunes you can still listen to mp3s off of it within the motorola mp3 player software which I think is called Digital Audio Player or DAP for short.

Alright the phone feels and looks great, and the camera quality is damn good considering the size of this phone and the fact that is indeed a PHONE with a CAMERA and not a CAMERA with a PHONE. Here is a link to a picture I took with the camera at work. [...] . This phone is semi customizable like being able to change your wallpaper and having your own mp3 ringtones, via a usb cable. Like I said my version came with cable, data software, itunes and stereo head phones I don't know what this version comes with. Next I'll list pros and cons.

PROS:

Small size

Looks Great

Good reception and sound quality

Customizable features

Mp3 player capabilities

Takes fine photos and video

In my opinion easy to use and straight forward navigation

Speaker phone is loud and clear

CONS:

iTunes seems to limit the number of songs you can have depending on what size transflash you have. For example with my 256 card it only lets me have 50 songs and on a 512 card it'll only let you have 100 songs.

A delicate phone, I use extra caution handling this phone

Front screen resolution could be better, but gets the job done

Included java games suck

In closing I think this phone is well suited for me, by being slim, customizable and having mp3 playback. Even if it does cap me at 100 songs my walk to and from work is quite a short distance anyway this way I can just keep the ipod plugged in the car and just use my phone for music.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2006
I purchased this phone unlocked about two months ago. I am not sure why it is not readily available in any US store. There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about this phone. The V3I is awesome. Hands down the best cell phone device that I have EVER purchased. The itunes capability is great, even though the song limit is 50, it works great as an ipod back up. The sound is as good as you can expect and you can listen to your itunes songs over the speaker without having to use any headphones. The best thing about this phone is the removable transflash card that can be used (up to 1gb) that can be used to store songs, use as a thumb drive, or whatever you would need a 1gb worth of space for. In addition, the one megapixel camera is a definite upgrade from the old V3. Also, the video capability is awesome. Unlike its predecessor's, the V3i will take as long of video as your memory will hold (three minutes, thirty minutes etc). The looks and feel of this phone are amazing too. The gunmetal look stands out among the sea of normal RAZR phones. Also, I love the front blue light, which you can program to flash differently for different things. The only problem with the phone is the fact that you cannot purchase it at any United States phone dealers. You either have to purchase it here or someplace like eBay. I purchased mine on eBay for about $250. Go for this one, you wont be disappointed.
on February 8, 2006
As of 2/6/2006 - most Mac users are able to sync via USB or Bluetooth but not through both - it seems to depend on where the product was intended for (Euro or Asia) but it seems to be able to sync through one or the other.

As for the address book problem (s), Motorola has also updated the software along the way but unlike computer OSes, it's not always readily apparent. I'm not exactly sure if the reviewer with the multiple address problem has tried this:

"Just change the "sort by" option in the address book setup to "Name". Then add numbers to the names instead of making new entries."

That sounds like it should resolve it.

There is one other caveat. If you want the iTunes software in the phone, the US version right now does not come with it and neither does the Euro version but apparently the Asian/Middle East version do ... huh? Yea - who knows what's going on.

Still a great phone - just too much work for everything :-)
on July 29, 2006
My post is mainly for the bad review given by Giovanni.

I got my Razr v3i for my wife, and got it from ebay.

Mine is not defintely for American, but in any case, I do not have any problem with

1. isync, so no need to edit

But I agree with "denomalizing", this is same as other moto phone.

2. No hard reset so far

3. itunes works with NO problem. itunes' m4p also works.

In fact, the only reason I bought this is itunes, but I have to add : sound quality is mediocre. (It doesn't matter with my wife, since she doesn't have keen ear).

In ebay, there are some items - instructions to add itunes to this phone - at 10-30 dollars. I didn't try it yet and I didn't hear the success story. But it seems to me that it is possible to add, even if it only has moto's mp3 player.

So, basically, I do not have any (significant) problem and I did not pay $349. My complaint would be no regular headphone jack and no bluetooth ad2p profile. I got the phone (ebay), 1gig transflash sd (amazon) and stereo headphone (from ebay) and three year warranty from ebay and in total, I paid $300. I don't think it is much cheaper than ipod nano + cheap phone, but it is very nice to have two in one piece.
on January 11, 2007
This is the first unlocked phone that I've bought from Amazon. The phone looks amazing and the motorola logo lights up blue (which more people mention than all of the other features combinded). The camera is upgraded, but its not too much of a difference than the normal ones. The phone is pretty different than what I expected to get. First of all, the amazon phone does NOT ship with iTunes, but comes with the DAP (which I don't consider a problem because the iTunes one has a song limit and this one doesn't). The only things I am dissapointed with is that this one (unlike Cingular's one from the store) does not ship with a MicroSD, but you can buy a 1gb on amazon for maybe $30. It's definitely not for America because it shipped with multiple language manuals and an adaptor for the charger. Stil a pretty good buy because its unlocked and it costs less than the cingular v3i with no contract (it still costs less even if you signed up for a 1yr contract).
on November 30, 2012
I just cannot understand why a very fine firm like MOTOROLA would put a piece of trash like this on the market.

The back cover won't lock. The instructions are a skimpy joke. Hard to place battery,worse for the phone card.

Flimsy rough and disturbing to the touch.

BAHH ... hope they give me my money back !

NEVER BUT A MOTOROLA AGAIN!
on November 27, 2012
very low quality product.
i bought same model few years ago and was much better quality, this one is very poorly made.
the battery cover won't stay in place. i also got the wrong color!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Synopsis: This phone is sexy, rugged and feature-packed, and highly recommended, if you can look past its few flaws.

Detail: I'm a veteran to the RAZR line, having purchased one of the first black models when they were first released. I thought the phone was excellent then, but with a few minor revisions, Motorola has brought the RAZR back to the forefront of the rapidly-moving world of mobile phones. However, there are a few notable exceptions to this glowing report.

First, the pros of the V3i model. The call quality is somewhat better than the original V3, which already had exceptional sound clarity and reception in my experience with it. Staying with the quad-band format is one of the best decisions that Motorola could have made with this phone- for individuals like me who travel abroad frequently, having a phone that can be used Stateside and overseas is an absolute must.

The Bluetooth interface is seamless, but I use a Motorola H3 headset- if you use a headset of a different brand, you could encounter some difficulties, although I've not heard of any. The camera, now 1.2 megapixels, takes (quite frankly) amazing photos for a mobile phone. My wife decided to keep the pictures I took of our newborn son, as opposed to the pictures that were shot with our digital camera. The video capture feature is good too, although I don't usually find myself using this function too frequently.

Having the ability to switch to an "Airplane Safe" mode is also a plus, as you can still use the games and MP3 player while on a long flight. Obviously, however, you won't be able to send or receive calls or data while the phone's in this mode. The switch between these two modes, however, takes less than half a second.

The physical size of the phone is also a major plus. It's still a comfortable size to fit in your hand, but it's thin enough to easily fit into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. The fit and finish are top shelf, the iridescent silver outside (seems to change to a smoke and a purple in different lights) contrasts well with the sleek black of the interior of the clamshell. The outside display is bright and clear, and the interior screen is also bright and easy to read. The keypad I find to be very good, but some people don't go for the feel of the cut metal keys. Personal taste, I guess...

Motorola's operating system is, in my opinion, clear and intuitive. I've never found a system to be easier- the only one that's been nearly as easy was Nokia's, to give a perspective. Icons are easy to interpret, commands are simple to issue to the phone, and with the TransFlash card installed, there's only a theoretical limit to the number of photos or videos you can store and take with you in your pocket.

As I mentioned, though, there are some chinks in the armor. First, the iTunes format is clunky and slow to navigate through. Your iPod defintely moves through the menus much more quickly than does this phone. Also, regardless of the size of the TransFlash card you have installed, iTunes limits the number of songs you can store to 50. I've heard that some later models have this limit removed (or at least increased), but my version caps the fun at 50 songs. Also, while the external speaker sounds good, I forego using the Motorola stereo headphones due to their poor sound quality. Obviously, when I'm at the gym or on a transatlantic flight, I rely on my iPod for musical entertainment.

Another con is the lack of EDGE or 3G technology on this phone. Cingular is currently offering a 3G RAZR with many of these features (having iTunes replaced with Motorola's proprietary DAP MP3 player and no song limit), but sadly that phone is a tri-band model. The download speeds are comparable to a 56K dial-up home connection, but many of us are now using cable or DSL at home, and at work using a T1/T3 connection, which makes downloading data from the Internet on my phone seem slow and cumbersome.

Overall, this phone is one of the best on the market today. I was a convert with the first RAZR, and with its subtle upgrades and refinements, the V3i is truly a worthy successor to the original. However, with its few flaws, I'm still anxiously awaiting the "perfect" RAZR to be released from Motorola's braintrust. Perhaps you could consider this the "penultimate" RAZR instead of the "ultimate" one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2007
Just got this phone and used it for 1 day. The battery, fully charged overnight, lasted about 8 hours, with about 1.5 hours of talk time.
The phone is set up for some asian country. It was a nightmare to program for web access and multimedia messaging. The voice interface is horrendous! The accent of the voice is very thick, and it is very difficult to get it to recogize names in the phonebook.

Additionally, the call quality is poor. It constantly sounded like it was on the fringes of a reception area even when showing 5 bars of signal strength. I am an amateur radio operator, and am thoroughly familiar with the vagaries of radio operation, and this problem was definitely with the phone.

I have had a RAZR V3 for some time now, and the interface is similar enough to be able to figure out, but the phone is going back to Amazon.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations