4.0 out of 5 stars Great product! Adds a whole new level to driving :)
Published on March 12, 2011 by R. Oden

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but Way Overpriced.
Published on May 28, 2011 by Ganj Beebani

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product! Adds a whole new level to driving :), March 12, 2011
R. Oden (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola Vehicle Dock for Motorola ATRIX 1 4G with Rapid Car Charger - Retail Packaging (Wireless Phone Accessory)
**Edit** Just got my Otterbox commuter (2 days early, Thanks Amazon) and unfortunately it does NOT fit in the vehicle dock. I was hoping it would be close enough so I could make some "modifications" but I don't think it's possible. There are port covers for the USB + HDMI when opened, need to flip backwards. My first idea was to cut those off but then I realized how much thicker the phone really was, The back of the phone gets double protection and sets the phone way to far forward for usb connections to line up. Even though this dock is built to accommodate the Atrix + case, I can only see ultra-thin cases working with this dock.

I like this dock. It's easy to use, well designed, and adds some great new features to driving. Although I have never used a high-quality GPS unit, the Dock + Atrix gives me lots of new techy tools I'm not use to having in the car. The standard driving application (launched automatically when its docked) gives all the practical features you would ever want such as access to music, maps, GPS, hands-free calling, etc. You can even add/delete apps which is a great feature since I hate devices that add a lot of bloat I would never use anyways. If you search the App store there tons of great apps for driving as well such as tracking gas mileage, cheapest gas stations, repair costs, taking pictures/video, Pandora, and the great part about it is most of these apps are FREE...Back to the dock now. I use mine windshield mounted in my Subaru Outback and its sits at just the right height/angle. The included pieces which come with this dock have a great build quality as well. The included USB+ 3.5 audio input jack (yes the usb cable AND 3.5 audio jack are built into one cable which splits out at the end) are high quality and was long enough to route down the backside of my dashboard and wrap around to the cigarette lighter which means all I see is one cable disappear into a vent (actually a small opening between the defroster vent and the dash, and then re-appear next to the cigarette lighter. This dock also includes a very high quality cigarette lighter to DUAL USB adapter. This means you have an extra USB port for charging your ______. I normally stick to HTC products but Motorola is really pulling through. Can't wait to see what else they come out with next.

Pros:
*High Quality Build
*High Quality accessories (USB cable, 12vdc to dual USB charger)
*Easy to use
*Easy to put on and take off

Cons:
*Price. To me 39.99 sounds like the target price for this thing. $50+ is a bit steep and why it only gets 4 stars.
*Doesn't look like many cases will fit with this dock. Even though it has a removable trim piece to accommodate cases, I don't think any Otterbox product will fit on this thing as well as any other cases more than 1-2mm thick. Waiting for my Commuter case to arrive this week and I'll update if it does indeed fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item, June 28, 2011
This is the best phone accessory purchase I have ever made. The vehicle dock is everything advertised. The phone recognized it the second I put it in the dock, I hadn't even put it in the vehicle yet. It attaches to the window with a suction cup or you can use an adhesive pad to mount it to your dash. The windshield mount is very secure and the phone seems locked in the dock quite nicely. It has an insert you put in the dock if your phone doesnt have a case to make it fit snugly. I dont have a case on my Atrix, but I imagine a thin case will work. The vehicle dock screen comes up with 6 virtual buttons on your screen, 4 are preset, and the other 2 are what ever you want them to be. Hit the right arrow and you have 6 more to program. It comes with a power adapter that has two usb ports, a usb cable that has the audio out near the power plug end so it will be close to your stereo if you have an aux input stereo option. It also comes with a 3.5mm cable with the male plug on both ends. Using your phone as a gps with navigation is so easy, it looks just like a gps unit mounted on your windshield, not sure how much data it would use though, so I would be careful about using it too much. You can use the music player button from the vehicle dock screen or the standard music player screen. It is so nice being able to just hit the fast forward button right in front of me without fumbling around to do it like I did before I got the dock. If you get a voicemail or use the vlingo reader to read your messages, just take the phone off speaker and it will play them through your stereo speakers, you can even use the vlingo voice to text to send a text message (your not supposed to text and drive, so I didnt tell you to do it). Watch Amazon for prices, I got it for $39.99, and they had a $5 of promotion at the time, include the super saver shipping and you just got a fantastic deal at $35. I would recommend this to anyone who has an atrix and wants to keep their phone secure and charge it at the same time. Considering how the inputs/outputs on this phone were put together, the dock makes it easier to use. Before I had the charger sticking out the side and the headphone/line out jack cable in the top, it was a real pain to hold if I needed to unlock the screen and change a song or send a text. This dock can do it all with one cable attached to the dock.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but Way Overpriced., May 28, 2011
I love this car dock: the suction cup holds very well. I've had this product in my car for almost two months and it did not come off, unlike my old navigator's holder which would fall while driving. Also, the pivot point has a screw that you can tighten manually, which I think is a great idea for long term use. My old navigator's holder would loosen up and I had to open the cover every few months and use a screw driver to tighten up the arm. With the Atrix car dock, I haven't had the need to tighten anything yet, but when I do in the future I will be able to do it quickly without any tools.

The car dock screen is ok. It's a typical boring Motorola design: bland, gray, and does not look like a high tech gadget at all. The HTC Sense car dock puts this phone to shame. This does not bother me that much, but I wish the car dock automatically enabled GPS on the device, so that I would not need to do it manually every time. Of course, this means I also have to disable the GPS manually after I take the phone off. Another complaint I have is that the phone overheats when I use the navigator on the dock for more than 30 minutes. It heats up so much that I dare not put the phone against my ear after coming off the dock. In the past, I would turn off the screen by simply pressing the power button and follow the voice commands. This kept the phone very cool. Unfortunately, the screen does not turn off anymore after the last Motorola/AT&T update. So now I have to exit the car dock screen, go to the home screen, then press the power button to shut the screen. This allows me to still follow the voice command directions, and keep the phone cool. I guess phones are not meant to replace navigators quite yet. I would think for this hefty price, Motorola ought to include some sort of a cooling mechanism to keep the phone from overheating.

Other than the above two complains, I really like the car dock. But I would never pay the asking price. Thankfully, I got mine for around $20 with a promotional sale and gift card. I would expect much more for the asking price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a pretty good job., July 8, 2011
I use the Motorola Atrix without a case, and it fits perfectly in this dock (with the sleeve added).

Pros: It does a good job charging the phone and I'm able to sit the phone in portrait mode, so I can access my non-landscape-friendly Android apps. A quick phone review: the car dock app is actually pretty good in my opinion.

Cons: As far as the suction cup, it's ok; I've had it fall off the included pad once. Also, in some cases when I play music from the phone (using the Aux port), I can hear static coming from the charger interference. I play my music loud enough that it's not a problem, but it's noticeable in silence. Otherwise, I'd give this dock 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Atrix Car Dock - Great Product, June 26, 2011
This car dock is a great addition to my vehicle! I love the fact that I can have a phone and GPS unit all in the same device, and now I can use the GPS hands free. I would recommend this for anyone with an Atrix.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so rapid charger!, June 20, 2011
I have to admit that I was expecting a little more from this accessory. Everything works fine but, I do not understand why is a charger called "rapid charger" when it actually does not charge when in use. I had %50 charge before putting in the dock with navigation on and after 30 min. Of use, i've had 40% charge left.
Another flaw: when making a call if I put sound to car speakers sometimes I loose the sound completely. I end up dialing other party again and it works with no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Love this dock, July 8, 2011
This dock works great. Nav works great in a pinch... not as good as dedicated GPS, but hey... it's a phone... great to have easy access to my music. Phone does get pretty hot when using GPS and dock. I don't know if it's the GPS or the battery that's heating up. I use OtterBox silicone case (don't remember the name of it) and I just slip it off to put it in the dock...no worse than taking it out of a holster, etc... it literally takes me 2 seconds to take off the silicone case. If Moto ever actually ships the ruggedized battery cover/case, I'll get that, and save myself the 2 seconds taking off the OtterBox.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, May 11, 2011
This dock is exactly what I've been looking for. The quality of build is excellent. I like how the audio cable input is part of the usb cable. I have an aux imput on my car stereo so music, navigation and phone calls go through my stereo system.

One reviewer said not to expect the dock screen to look like what Amazon is showing but that's exactly what it looks like. It comes up automatically when you place the phone in the dock. My phone has a rather slim case on it and it wouldn't work with the case on but my case if very easily removed.

Everything worked so good that I pulled my Garmin GPS out of the car and will try google map navigation next week and a few hundred mile trip I'm taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product,, August 21, 2011
I love this dock. It is great and very easy to use. I use it every day. I use the navigation,hands-free, traffic updates, and listen to music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the interface - Adhesive is a bit lacking, August 17, 2011
The dock works perfect! I love the way it docks the phone in and goes into car dock mode. The navigation rocks, checking in with Foursquare is easy. Calling, using voice recognition, it's all so easy!

The only issue I have had with the hardware is the fact that when it is a hot day, the dock with unstick from the adhesive pad that is supposed to be mounted to the dash. I have had to re-attach it 3-4 times now, but that is not a problem at all. The adhesive still is very strong and has not lost anything.

Overall, I love the car dock for the Atrix. It is an amazing additional to an already amazing phone.
Thanks Motorola, and thanks to Amazon for giving me a great deal.

Rate and Discover Movies