Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on October 26, 2012
Motorola is clearly listening to feedback. My previous vehicle dock had too many adjustable angles that made setup more frustrating than it needed to be. This has a simple ball and socket design that permits plenty of angles for any setup. It is also nice that the charging cord plugs into the dock itself instead of directly into the phone. Now you don't have to fiddle with the cord each and every time you place or remove the phone.

As per previous versions, the phone detects the dock on insert - along with the SMART Actions app, you have a wide range of control over what happens then (volume adjustments, gps on, wifi off, screen up, auto-reply texts, etc, etc). Nice accessory that adds a good amount of functionality specific to driving - a little expensive on its own, but a great deal when you look at the price of stand alone 5 inch GPS units.

Does not come with a charger (nice, since I already have several) but does come with a head-phone to head-phone cable so you can plug into some car stereos directly. Also has setup for both windshield and dashboard mounting.

Comes with custom fit pieces that allow for snug fit on both the RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD including with or without a protective case. That's right, you can have a protective case on the larger MAXX and it will still fit in this dock.

Update 12/3/12: I finally received the Otterbox Commuter after a terrible experience with Otterbox - I'll save that for a different review. The case DOES NOT quite fit in the dock as intended. However, the phone does slide in nicely with only the inner soft skin from the Otterbox case. This would indicate that less robust cases and skins would actually work. If anyone has tried other protective cases I propose we list them in the comments section. Sorry for the delayed update here.

Update 11/26/12: I noticed one of the other reviews describes a problem with using the phone as a dashcam. I've taken a couple videos from the dock and none of the frame is blocked for me (I have it mounted to the windshield in this case). It's actually a cool little setup to record scenery or even the clever custom license plate. You can also switch to the front cam and record yourself driving if that suits you.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2013
I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD (identical in size to the Droid Razr HD, by the way). I was worried my hard plastic case wouldn't fit into the dock but it fits just fine. It isn't a tight squeeze and the dock holds the phone securely. Its actually easier to get my phone in/out of the doc than my last Motorola Dock (Droid 2 without a case). The dock comes with two adapters that fit in to accommodate different cases too. Mine is a slim hard case with a tacky coating, not a otterbox or anything like that however.

I also want to mention this doc has a much better design than predecessors. Two things: first and foremost, my charger cord had to be bent to go into my Motorola Droid 2 dock and eventually caused it to have power connection issues. This dock allows the cord to plug into the center back which means the cord isn't kinked. Second, The dock is shaped like an upside down T, whereas the last one was a solid rectangle. That means that when my phone isn't docked, I have better visibility out my windshield because the back of the dock isn't blocking my view. Another great move by the Motorola design engineers.

I am so glad I decided to go with a genuine Motorola dock. I first tried a generic one and it didn't have anywhere for my charger cord to plug into so it was awkward. I also missed out on the phone's driving screen (seen in the picture of the product) that automatically comes up when the phone is docked.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
Motorola hit the nail on the head with this one.

Like previous review says, it comes with 1 plastic cradle (the piece that actually holds the phone) which has 2 different inserts. One insert works with the HD and the other with the MaxxHD. Leave the insert out and it seems like it may hold either phone with a case.

The connection on this one attaches in the middle of the cradle on the back with the usb facing up...rather than plugging directly into the back and putting a strain on the usb/port like previous docks.

There is also a hole in the cradle for the camera so if you want to take a video of you driving down the road it would be possible.

The phone fits great in the cradle (mine is a Maxx) and is very easy to insert and remove. The upper catch is rubberized on the inside so it holds firm. The position of the catch could be a little more to the right since the lower volume rocker is a little difficult to hit but not a big deal.

High quality, includes 3.5 phono cable but no power cord. Also includes the plastic plate you can mount anywhere to provide a smooth surface to suck to if needed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2013
Tries to force you to use the Motorola vehicle app which is not customizable enough. Some apps are permanently assigned to buttons which can't be changed. I have found at least one replacement app in the market called "Custom Car Dock with Swipe" - much better.

Docking with the power connection only is pointless because the audio cable has to be connected separately with a separate cable. I have discovered that there is a separate cable you can buy (made by motorola, but does not come with this dock!) It's a little hard to find, and I didn't see it listed on amazon, but the model number is SKN6394A . If you google it you should be able to find it. It has the audio on the same cable as the USB so that you can permanently plug it into your dock and car aux jack and it will route the audio to your car stereo every time you dock your phone without having to plug in extra wires! I was not able to get this cable to work sending audio without the dock, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

I like having a dock that fit my phone exactly and the replacement car dock app and extra cable make it work how I want, but the high cost and hassles of this product makes it not worth it.
on July 13, 2013
This keeps me from having to fumble for the phone when it rings in the car. I have been able to get rid of my old GPS systems. I can take my phone out of my pocket and drop into the holder and forget about it until I get to my destination. I even gave up my XM radio and listen to Pandora or Tune-in Radio while the maps are working. I just got home from another trip to Tennessee and back and never had a problem. It cleaned up some clutter on the dash and in the console. Wished I could get two more for my other vehicles.

The other nice thing is that it came with three bases to accommodate either with a case on the phone or without a case on the phone.
on November 23, 2012
It is not the cheapest dock you can find but it is definitely worth the extra money.
Since it is "active" (you can recharge the phone while in it, not tat you really need it given the battery life but...) the phone detects that it is docked, hence you can activate the Smart Actions, which is a GREAT feature of this phone (among a lot of other great features).
When I dock it I have the Bluetooth connected withe the car freehand, the phone automatically reply text messages saying that I am driving and I will be back as soon as safe, and other things.
It appears quite sturdy, but I it only for a few hours so far.
on June 15, 2014
The product was just fine but it did not fit my phone due to the location of the charging plug! I even tried to remove the plug but it couldn't be done. I always read the descriptions thoroughly and it was supposed to fit!
* I've changed my rating from a 1 to a 4 because, as I said, there was nothing wrong with the product. I guess it was just an oversight on my part not realizing that the charging plug is not in the same location on the Droid Maxx and Droid Maxx HD (duh). I guess it would deserve a 5 if I had a phone to check it with.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2012
I am not a fan of using the suction cup or adhesive mounting methods as in my car, a 2013 Ford CMAX, there was not a good place for them anyway. I managed to use this with a proclip mount that I modified to work with the dock. With that said, it works as it is supposed to. I use a Droid RAZR HD with an otterbox commuter cover. It Fits with some deliberate force and is able to charge the phone. I am able to use my phone now for navigation and music/podcasts with the car's integrated bluetooth.
on January 27, 2013
Fits my new Motorola Maxx and I love it! It holds the phone securely and allows keeping my protective case to remain ON the phone when I insert it in the holder! This was not the case in past docks I've owned for other phones. It's about time they considered the protective case to remain on the phone while using dock and I am now able to use Apps that work well with an automotive dock.
on January 26, 2013
I really like the docking station. I especially like the auto charging feature. What I don't like is how the device takes over your home screen (the one pictured in the photo with this review). There just is no way that I have found to shut that "feature" off.