4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value
I've had this Motorola Trac Fone for about 6 months and have been very pleased. It has excellent reception and sound quality. The built in speaker phone is also very good. The camera is just so-so, but that's not why I bought the phone.

Published on September 19, 2009 by Richw

1.0 out of 5 stars There is NO WAY!
You must be off your rocker to be charging $109 to over $200 for this item!

This phone is less than $30.00 at Walmart and includes the whole kit PLUS double minutes for life.

Anyone who bought this item at these insane prices was RIPPED OFF!
Published on September 15, 2011 by js_pcrepair

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, September 19, 2009
Richw "Rliege" (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I like buying my minutes only as I need them and you just have to purchase more within 90 days. When you purchase more, it just adds them to your current balance. If you don't purchase within the 90 day limit (a countdown is always visible on the screen) the phone shuts off and you lose whatever minutes you had. You can reactivate just by purchasing more minutes but you don't regain any you lost by not purchasing within the 90 day limit. You can purchase minutes on line at Tracfone or set up your phone to purchase. Your minute balance is also always on the screen. Mine came with 15 minutes to get me started. You can activate at the Tracfone web site and set up an account to buy more minutes. You can also call from the phone to activate and set up an account to purchase minutes that way.

Good things:
-Inexpensive to purchase (less than $30)
-Reasonable rates. I'm paying about 10 cents per minute
-Automatically doubles minutes for life of phone (buy 60 get 120)
-If you lose it, buy another, call Tracfone operator to transfer your number and minutes
-Bright clear screen
-Good sound quality
-Good reception
-Good number of ring tones and images to select from
-AC Charger is included
-FM radio included (earphone not included and it takes a micro plug, not a mini)
-Basic games included
-Internet access (but slow)
-Periodic email offers from Tracfone for discounted minutes (which double)
-Monthly plans if you want them
-Good battery life (I do not use the phone often so 1 charge will last several days)
-Minutes never expire as long as you renew within 90 days
-No contracts or agreements. Tired of it? Toss it.
-Sim chip, you can move to another phone and keep your address book
-Settings for indoor/outdoor ring

Bad things:
-No holster/case (buy one at Target)
-Somewhat larger in size and a little heavier than most cells
-Ring tones downloaded only from Tracfone site
-Cannot connect to PC/laptop (port is only for charging)
-Buttons take some getting used to, like the menus
-You pay for everything, no free or unlimited (3 text messages = 1 minute)
-You will receive free advertising from Tracfone but occasional advertising from others, if you accept the message, you get charged for it. (charge is about 1 text message)
-Charging port and earphone port (opposite sides of the phone) are difficult to open. I can't quite get my fingernail under it so I have to use a small pen knife

I'm very pleased with the phone and service. I dropped my other service and have been happy not to be billed every month for minutes I didn't use. I'm not a strong user of cell phones so it fits my life style. I have service wherever I travel, including remote areas. Your carrier will depend on your part of the country. We have AT&T here.

I may buy another for my wife who doesn't like cell phones but I'll feel better knowing she can call if she needs to. I can buy 60 minutes (120) for $20 and she's good for 90 days. When it gets close I'll just order the minimum again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survived swimming pool, July 27, 2009
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I had this phone in my swimming suit pocket and jumped into a pool, swam rigorously for several minutes before I realized what a bonehead I was. Getting dunked is one thing, but subjecting it to this kind of treatment, I thought for sure it was a goner. I let it dry for several days, but then it wouldn't turn on. I plugged it in to charge it, and it still didn't work. However, when I swapped the battery out with my wife's (who has same phone), it worked perfectly. It was the battery that got fried, not the phone. I just ordered a new BQ50 battery for $10, and I will be back in business. BTW - tracfone is great. My family of 4 saves over $100 per month from what we had with verizon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Basic Phone, September 16, 2009
JGA (Boiling Springs, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have this phone and cannot say enough nice things about its audio and graphics - SHARP! The wife has another name brand phone which was more expensive - no contest! I rated this phone 4 stars instead of 5 for one reason only - its keyboard is kinda' funky. It's one of those one piece plastic deals with the numbers separated by dividers rather than a physical space. For normal everyday phoning you'd have to work to beat this one. TracPhone is the way to go, folks! I was with Verizon ($70/mo) and I now spend less than $20/mo and have more features and matching coverage.

1.0 out of 5 stars There is NO WAY!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
You must be off your rocker to be charging $109 to over $200 for this item!

Anyone who bought this item at these insane prices was RIPPED OFF!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid LG, September 23, 2010
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I prurchased a LG420g Tracfone from the Tracfone web site after evaluating the phones they were willing to sell in my zipcode. Good price, nice features, nice key pad. I made the mistake of calling to activate it instead of doing the activation online. They gave me a number that every tele-marketer on the planet must have. Three numbers, two simm cards, and 8+ hours of tracfone tech support later, they finally took the phone back. What a hassle. The Motorola c261 Tracfone that I've been carrying the last tree years has been flawless. My biggest complaint with the LG420G is the reception reception reception. No service in my house located in southeastern PA where coverage is great with any provider. After doing a lot of research I learned that LG and Samsung have the worst reception of any cell phone. Motorola and Nokia are the best. So, I purchased this Motorola W376g elsewhere which is one that Tracfone would not sell me in my zip code, received it, activated it online in only a few minutes, DONE, 5 bars where ever I go. LG should stick to major appliances since they know what the are doing there. Cell phones, HELL NO! GO MOTOROLA!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much trouble! Can't get it to add minutes!, August 28, 2010
JV "JV" (Buffalo, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Have had this phone for about 16 months. The first 9 month it worked alright, then I had a very difficult time adding minutes. Whenever I tried to add time, the minutes would not be added, and when I went to the tracfone web page, it said there was some sort of communication problem with my phone. I was once on the phone with an attendant for 45 minutes, did everything she said, and it still did not work. Every time I try to add minutes I have to jump through all these hoops, and go to the webpage and work out the problem, and punch in long number codes into the phone so that the transaction will actually take place. It's a real hassle. This is no good if you are traveling and need to add minutes, as happened to me three weeks ago. I was stuck. The last straw was when I just tried to add minutes and nothing happened! Nothing! Now I have to make sure my credit card was not charged -- which it probably was -- for minutes I never received. More headaches. I'm canceling this phone because it is too much of a run around simply trying to add minutes. I'm going with another brand completely. This is my first and last tracfone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tracfone model-- just beware of price!, September 6, 2011
Atomic Grrrrrl (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
About two years ago, two members of the family upgraded to the Motorola W376G. This was one of the first new models of Tracfones that began feeling more like a real cell phone instead of the little rinky dinky throwaway toy-like models made entirely of plastic. It's a little outdated now (Tracfone is now rolling out fancy models with touchscreens, better menu screens, and the like). However, if you happen to stumble across one of these on sale and don't care about getting a phone with all the latest in cell phone technology, I highly recommend this model. Not only does it come fully featured with things like a radio tuner, speaker, texting, and internet browsing, it sports a stylish clamshell design and is also incredible sturdy. (I've dropped this model several times while riding my bike and it's come out with barely any scratches and still works perfectly.)

Of course, the most important thing to worry about when it comes to any cell phone is the reception and battery life, and after two years I can safely say that the W376g Motorola performs quite well in both regard.

Just one thing before you get this model, though-- I noticed that here at Amazon, it's being sold for $200. This is bogus, because the phone at the most went for $35 on Tracfone's actual site, with refurbished models being sold for $20. So don't be a victim of price gouging. At the most a brand new W376g should cost $30. If it's getting sold for more than that, you're being ripped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely reliable, basic phone, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have used this phone since 2009, and it has never failed me. I have no house phone, so this is my only means of telecommunication. And because of my job, it now rarely gets turned off (24 hours a day). Each morning for work, I use it as my sole alarm clock to get up. I have dropped it countless times, exposed it to water, multiple times have left it on top my truck and drove off without realizing it (I remembered later and came back to where I figured it had fallen off and retrieved it). It has even been shot multiple times with a bb gun. Despite all of this,

It still works. Also consider that I am still using the original battery (although it doesn't hold quite as long of a charge as it used to, understandably) and that I have never had a case for it. I have only once had a couple of minor problems with it but they were not the fault of the phone's design, and were fairly easily solved by doing an internet search. As a side note, don't get this phone if you plan on using the internet much. It doesn't have wifi, which means you'll blow through minutes, plus the functionality on this old school phone would be very limited. I personally have never actually used the internet function. That's what my laptop is for. The only other con is that this phone is double minute for life, not triple minute for life, which is a major drag (many of the newer tracfones are now triple minute for life). Unfortunately however, none of the triple minute for life tracfones are flip phones, and look much easier to break, which would obviously be a big problem for me.

Overall, this phone is perfect for the person that wants a basic, reliable phone to make calls with. Because it is a flip phone, you won't have to worry about pocket dialing, nor will you have to worry about fussing with a touchscreen. And because of Tracfone's numerous contracts with carriers all throughout the US, you will find you can get service in a ton of places; a lot more than if you were confined to the network of a single carrier, like Verizon or AT&T.

A couple more side-notes: This phone is like 20 dollars at Wal-mart or similar stores. It can also be bought directly from tracfone's website for a very cheap price. This phone also has a good battery life- at least a week or more in standby mode if I remember correctly.

AND BEFORE YOU ADD MINUTES:
1. Make sure you do it by the year, not 3 month increments, as it will save you a lot of money.
2. Make sure you do it online, and then add a promo code to get free minutes when checking out(tracfone free minute promo codes can be found by doing a quick internet search. You can get a LOT of free minutes this way).

1.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, Excellent Service, Horrible activation system, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I ordered two of these phones.

Phone 1: After spending several hours on the phone with Tracfone technicians, they decided that the phone had a bad SIM card. I received the replacement SIM card three days later. After another half hour on the phone with tech support and waiting until the next morning for the changes to wend their way through the Tracfone system, I finally had a working phone. The phone works well and the service area is good.

Phone 2: After working with three different technicians over a period of three days, it was decided that the phone was bad and they would ship a replacement phone to me. I received the replacement phone six days later. After working with two technicians (one last evening, and one for two hours this morning), it was determined that the replacement phone needed a new SIM card [are you starting to see a pattern here?]. They will send another SIM card to me.

Observations:
1. Tracfone tech support is provided by very polite people whose native language is not English. If you have difficulty understanding heavily accented English, you may want to take your business elsewhere. The volume of tech support's music-while-on-hold is MUCH louder than the "voice" volume. This is extremely annoying.

2. Tracfone delivery service of choice is FedEx. Phones are sent via signature service and FedEx has an annoying habit of attempting residential delivery while you are at work. When you come home from the office after a long day to find the "attempted delivery" notice on your front door, you'll be thrilled to know that after 6:00PM you can drive across town to the FedEx office to pick up your phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars This phone is not worth 20 dollars, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Motorola W376G TracFone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I own this phone and I want everyone reading this that it can be had at any walmart! When I saw this phone listed for 200 dollars I thought I should take a minute and write this comment. The phone is horrible and is basically obsolete.

Rate and Discover Movies