The Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Device Stand (Retail Packaging) (89537N) is a very good product with a few extra features that set it apart from the alternatives. Those extras come at a premium, but for some people it may be worth it. This product is especially optimized for Android tablets and phones, and the specialized features make it worth a look...
Published on March 8, 2012 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
It's a good blutooth keyboard, but I'm still hoping someone will come out with better.

A few years back I had a palm pilot handheld PDA device. I got a folding keyboard for it. It folded up to a very small size and the keys were basically full size. I don't understand why we can't get a nice bluetooth keyboard build like that--but I guess it's a lot cheaper to...
Published on March 15, 2012 by Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Wireless Keyboard - A Premium Device Optimized For Android, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Device Stand (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

PROS
++ Light-weight and thin plastic body still feels solidly constructed
++ Keys have bright lettering that is easier to read than some alternatives
++ Includes a folding hard cover that folds into a tablet stand
++ Backspace key placement is also superior to the Targus model for PC and Android users
++ Extra command keys optimized for Android, including "menu" and "search"
++ Keyboard connected easily to laptops and several Android tablets
++ Key action is responsive with nice "clicky" feedback
++ Low profile and compact footprint is comparable to alternatives
++ Rechargeable battery is convenient, with USB charging
++ Pointer device (similar to Thinkpad pointer) provides mouse functionality

CONS
-- Hard cover is difficult to remove and inferior to the Logitech model for use as a stand
-- The "enter" key is awkwardly small compared to other keyboards
-- Extremely costly compared to wireless USB keyboards and even many Bluetooth alternatives

ALTERNATIVES

Like most competing keyboards, this one has Chiclet style keys similar to Apple models. This keyboard's keys are better spaced than the AKB33US - Targus Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for Tablets. But they are not as good as the larger Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0+ (Keyboard-and-Stand Combo) (920-003390).

This product feels solid, and doesn't have the cheap feeling plastic of the Targus model. But the Motorola Wireless Keyboard for Motorola ATRIX and XOOM (Motorola Retail Packaging) has most of the same benefits for less. So it has to be a consideration if you don't care about the Android keys, pointer or folding cover.

Apple's keyboard is still more solidly built but is also much heavier. This unit is lighter, making it better for mobile use. For tablets this unit blows the Targus model away. And even for use with a Bluetooth compatible laptop, this unit is worth a look.

CONCLUSION

This keyboard still comes at a premium. If you need the smallest wireless keyboard, and Android is your primary platform, this has to be one of your first choices. The only question you will likely have is whether it's worth it versus the basic Motorola model that doesn't include the pointer or folding cover.

I recommend it if you need those extra benefits, and if not I recommend the basic keyboard.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been looking for, March 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using the Microsoft bluetooth keyboard 6000 for about 6 months now, and though I think it's a great option in it's price range, I have issues with its bulk and size and the delay between turning it on and it actually syncing with my iPad. The Motorola wireless bluetooth keyboard fixes all the issues I had with my previous keyboard and managed to save me significant bag space. While the 6000 has a great ergonomic design, the extra size makes it a nuisance to carry with me when I'm traveling light. My iPad is small enough to fit in my purse, case and all, but the 6000 is not. Motorola has managed to make a fantastic little keyboard with super responsive keys, great tactile feedback, and a very small profile.

The keyboard itself is almost the exact width of the iPad and about 75% of its height. It has such a low profile that I can even slip it right into my ipad sleeve, WITH the iPad. I absolutely love the keyboard cover as well. It protects the keys when not in use and makes for a great little stand when you need it. It folds into a triangle and latches securely so I have no worry that my iPad will fall. The stand/cover is also super grippy, just like the little rubber feet on the bottom of the keyboard. This means absolutely no sliding of stand or keyboard.

There really is nothing to dislike here. In case you're wondering, yes, the volume buttons do work flawlessly to control the iPad volume, as do the pause/play, rewind, fast forward buttons. They even work in the background as I've just done to turn down my music while I type this review. I don't know that I'll ever use the stick or mouse buttons but thankfully I don't even notice they are there and don't add any extra bulk to the keyboard. If I had to pick one thing to gripe about, it would be that it takes some time to get used to using a smaller keyboard if all you've ever used is full size models. Even so, within 2-3 hours, I am just as fluent with this keyboard as my full size desktop keyboard. If you're in the market for a ultra portable bluetooth keyboard for your iPad (or other table or smartphone) you really can't go wrong here. It is leaps and bounds ahead of others in this price range, including the Zaggmate which I have extensive experience with having used a friend's for some time before buying my 6000. There are cheaper options available, but if you need a small yet extremely well built and functional keyboard with stand, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly with Kindle Fire HD, October 28, 2012
I bought a couple of these from Woot.com (an Amazon company) for use with the Kindle Fire HD. Well, it works flawlessly. The keyboard itself is very well made and the keyboard cover converts to a nice stand, which will fit almost any tablet or smart phone (with or without a case). The keys have a nice feel, although some are smaller than on a standard keyboard in order to achieve the compact size of the keyboard (the enter key for example). I have had no problem with erratic key behavior. In addition to the typing keys, the volume and menu keys also work. The phone key (obviously) and the mute key do not work with the Fire. Interestingly, the trackpoint is detected by the Fire and other android devices, so a cursor is available on screen, if you want to use it.

The only thing to remember is that it cannot be paired with any other device when you want to pair it with the Fire. If it has already been paired with another device, such as an android smartphone, you need to unpair or turn off the other device. Otherwise it will not be discoverable by the Fire. This is different from some other Bluetooth devices, which can pair with multiple devices. It makes obvious sense that a keyboard can only be paired with one device at a time.

Overall, this is a great keyboard for those wanting to do light typing duty on the Fire HD, such as long e-mails or editing documents, spreadsheets and Powerpoint slides. It is, however, expensive on Amazon. This is a discontinued product because Motorola Mobility is trimming its product line as a consequence of the company's purchase by Google. You might be able to find it on sites like Woot or other discontinued product specialists (it was $30 on Woot).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Sturdy Keyboard with Easy Setup, February 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setup for this keyboard device was a snap - I use it with an iPad - and I was up and running in under a minute after turning the unit on and telling my iPad to pair with the keyboard.

This unit is thin, and does take a small bit of getting used to when using if you are typically on a computer keyboard all day like I am. That's not a detriment, however, as with any mobile device you want portability and this one hits it. Input on the keyboard is pretty straight-forward, and I haven't noticed the keyboard / iPad connection "breaking" and missing letters when I type.

I have also used this with my Motorola Droid phone briefly just to see if I could do it. While it is able to pair easily with the Droid, I can't really predict much use with the Droid to the nature of my use of a cell phone (your use may vary). Now if only the Kindle Fire had Blootooth!

While there is a small charge to the rechargeable battery upon taking it out of the shipping, I plugged it in for about two hours prior to using it for about an hour. I can't tell you how long it takes to charge start to finish as after the first hour's use I plugged it in overnight and didn't think about it again until lunch the next day.

There is a flexible plastic cover that fits snugly over the keyboard for when you travel with the keyboard - it proved handy as I carried it in my portfolio bag. The last thing you want is something to ruin a portion of the keyboard pressing against the keypad when it is not in use. It is very tight to get off of the keyboard, but comes off easily when you snap the sides of it. I point that out as there really weren't many instructions with the keyboard, including no instructions on how to remove and re-attach the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent but for a premium, April 17, 2013
I give the Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Device Stand, which I'm using right now to type this review, five stars for its performance, design, convenience, and overall quality/impression. I should note two additional factors:

(1) I'm using it together with the Google Nexus 10 tablet, and the android-optimized features as well as mouse-stick are excellent additions.
(2) I did not pay full price, but purchased a "like-new" keyboard with fulfillment by Amazon.

USE: This keyboard is extremely easy to use--you'll be typing less than a minute after taking it out of the box, and you'll never have to worry or waste time dealing with connectivity issues. I thought the small keys would be a hassle and that I'd constantly have to correct typos, but the spacing and tactile response of the keys completely compensate. Some of the sizes for certain keys are counter-intuitive (esp. the backspace and enter keys, which are smaller than expected), but I haven't run into any trouble when using it, so in practice there's no problem. The Android keys make for easy navigation, and the mouse-stick/cursor/whatever they're calling it is surprisingly responsive and easy to navigate. Having the additional navigation option is nice when using the keyboard at a distance from the tablet and, if you don't have a stylus, keeps your screen clean from fingerprints.

DESIGN: It's light but doesn't feel cheap--the slim profile is paired with a sturdy build that feels like it will last. The cover (you could use it as a stand, esp. for a phone, but if you have a tablet, there are much better options) keeps the keyboard protected from debris and various potential damages and makes it easy to toss into a bag for travel without adding anything to the dimensions. It's a little bit of an effort to pry off, but at the same time it doesn't feel like it would ever come off during transport, so the trade-off is for the better. The entire product has the feel of a thin, sturdy surface.

CONCLUSION: If you want an ultra-portable, reliable, sleek keyboard with Android-optimized features and a built-in mouse for use with a tablet, this is probably the best keyboard available, especially if you can avoid paying the list-price. If the price seems steep for the added features, or you're looking for a keyboard/case combo, you might want to consider something that isn't as focused on minimizing dimensions. I haven't seen a better combination of portability and build-quality together with a mouse option, and the more I use it the more the list-price seems justified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for your mobile devices and good for home PCs and Macs, November 4, 2012
Writing this review by typing on the keyboard. I chose this item as a replacement to my wireless keyboard and mouse combo for my Home Theater PC (HTPC). I prefer the trackpoint mouse and the unit is so light and small it's much better suited for my living room.

Over all I think its a good product. Since my HTPC didn't have bluetooth capability I just ordered a USB Bluetooth Dongle (only $1.50!). Once that was in, my Windows XP and Windows 7 computers automatically installed the bluetooth drivers and I went directly to setting up the device. For PC, I found it easiest to chose "no password" for pairing. I also tried it with my MacBook Pro and it was even easier, and provided a passcode to type in. It synced with my iPhone easily as well.
A problem I ran into is that it's not easy to move the keyboard from device to device. I found on the instructions, you usually will have to reset the keyboard to factory settings to get it recognized by a new device. To do this, hold down N-E-W keys while turning the unit on. You may also need to disconnect and re-search for the keyboard in your device. There had been times where I struggled for 10 minutes to get things to pair up again, but most of the time it goes okay.
As for the trackpoint. I love trackpoints but this one lacks the control and precision that my IBM thinkpad has. Also, the left and right click buttons that sit under your thumb are mechanically designed as one large button that pivots at the mid point. Therefore, it's difficult to click either button from where my thumb usually sits (near the pivot point). I have to change my habits to reach a bit farther left or right to click the mouse buttons.
Lastly, the range is not great. For my HTPC I sit relaxed on my couch about 10 feet from the BT reciever on the PC, The keyboard loses signal at that range so I have to sit forward with the keyboard on the coffee table. Seems the range is only 8 feet. No problem if you are just working with your mobile device.

Pros:
Good quality
Light weight
Good size keys
Dedicated function keys like audio playback, menus, and volume that work well on all devices I tested,
Great battery life
TRACKPOINT!
Works with PCs, Macs, Apple iOS devices, and Android.

Cons:
Short range (about 8 feet on my bluetooth dongle, haven't tested on other devices)
Trackpoint isn't as good as a thinkpad
Mouse buttons are not easy to click except for extreme left and right of button
Enter key is small (wasn't a problem for me)
Sometimes difficult to pair

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily syncs, holds up my iPad, and works great, May 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little keyboard. My wife and I have both been using it to write notes, use Twitter, and so on with our iPads, and we love it.

Pros:
- Battery lasts forever. I don't have to worry about charging it daily.
- It's a good keyboard. Though not full sized, it fits along with my iPad very well and doesn't take up a lot of space.
- Syncs easily. There was no messing around to try to get it to work.
- It has a stand to hold the iPad upright. That's more useful than I thought it would be!

Cons:
None I can see yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work on my Android 2.3 phone, but DOES work on my iPad 2!, February 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had an iPad 1 & now and iPad 2 and have resisted the keyboard cases because for the most part I look things up and process credit cards without a lot of extensive typing and emailing. However, considering this fits nicely into the console of my car, charges with the same micro-usb charger that my phone and Bluetooth uses (in my car) I have now found this to be an indispensable tool when I am out of town and unable to send emails from my desktop computer. It also looks very nice with my Joby GorillaMobile Ori for iPad 2 (GM12-A1UL) and is the same width as my iPad so it doesn't seem out of place.

Unfortunately it didn't work with my new android phone, but considering I pretty much wouldn't be sending more than a one line email from my phone anyway and I carry an iPad I don't mind. The stand works well with the iPad as well but I find no need for it because I really like keeping my iPad in it's Joby case.

I found this keyboard very easy to use with it's simple on/off button and Bluetooth connectivity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and easy to set up., February 23, 2012
Michael Hilton (Schenectady, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I set this up with my ipad and it works great. Compact enough to store in a suitcase and uses its own power source. Tried to use it with the iphone but for some reason it will not recognize it. Not sure if it is not compatible. Overall a nice keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall, November 25, 2013
Some small keys, but syncs quickly and works well with a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Pointing nub is great (better than some new Lenovos even).

Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Device Stand