4.0 out of 5 stars iPad and Android fan...
First an acknowledgement: while waiting to receive my Xoom I nearly cancelled my order after the iPad 2 was announced. I had a hard time deciding between the Apple device and the Android (Motorola) device.

Published on March 8, 2011 by C. Six

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleaner interface, but rather buggy
I have both a Xoom and Droid X, and have found that I think the improvements in the Honeycomb UI are vastly improved over my Droid (which I think is still on Froyo). They have also re-organized the settings menu a bit, so it is actually more understandable and easier to find what you are looking for.

Now for my biggest complaint, it seems that the OS is still...
Published on March 12, 2011 by Jeremy Hanni

4.0 out of 5 stars iPad and Android fan..., March 8, 2011
This review is from: Motorola XOOM Android Tablet (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)

The main reason I chose to stick with the Xoom (and am glad I did) is the stock Android software and its multitasking function. The 3.0 software has a menu item at the bottom which allows you to swap between multi-tasked apps (similar to pressing/holding the Home button on an Android phone). Other factors in keeping the Xoom were microSD card slot (not yet active but hopefully soon via software update) and future 4G connectivity (there is a big delta between 3G (< 2 Mbps) and 4G (> 10 Mbps) speeds on Verizon). Note that if this device had any manufacturer bloatware on it (Motoblur) I would have chosen the Apple device. Yes, I hate bloatware.

With that said this is what I've found:

1. Once I logged in on the device most of the apps associated with my account (I own a Droid X) were automatically downloaded and installed. This was seamless; I did elect to uninstall a few apps based on not wanting them on the tablet. While I agree there are a limited number of apps built specifically for the tablet, most apps looked/ran fine on the tablet form. I noted there was more than one app that (until it gets updated for the tablet) ran well only in portrait (or landscape) mode. Kind of a bother but I'm patient; as an original Droid owner I saw the Android Market literally explode over a 3 month period.

2. There was some initial OS lag for the first hour while the apps were installed and my iSyncr app (wireless) was syncing my music library to the device from iTunes. This was not unexpected; once the initial onslaught of apps were installed/synced the device ran flawlessly. The OS is very smooth and fast.

3. I love the email and calendar apps; the layouts are optimized whether in the landscape or portrait modes. My wife runs a home based business and utilizes Google apps. I set up the corporate email client to sync with my work email. Both ran great and synced well; the interface with Google apps is superior. Note that I did not activate the 3G service (yet). I mainly use at the house (wireless) but this will be a great device to use on trips in the car so will likely either activate 3G/4G or tether to my X. It's interesting to note that often my Xoom dings that I have new email/calendar events from work prior to my work notebook computer which is tied (via my home internet connection) directly to my corporate network via VPN.

4. There are a good set of accessories for the device from Motorola:

- I bought the speaker dock to use in our kitchen as a way to charge and listen to music in the kitchen (also nice to have a net surfing tool in the kitchen). This is where multitasking and widgets come in handy. We can see weather, email status, calendar agenda etc all from one home screen. Streaming Pandora radio in the kitchen is very nice and convenient. Speaker quality is good but don't expect much power output. With the dishwasher running we need to turn volume up to near max to hear music well. The device is pricey. If you have the extra funds I'd recommend it.

- The travel cover is nice and functional. I saw some reviews complaining that it was plastic. I agree it's overpriced but it performs the function I want it to which is to protect it while travelling. The ability to use it as a stand is a small bonus (I haven't use it yet as a stand).

5. Agree/disagree with other reviewers relating to the sound quality of built in speakers. Agree that they are poor quality due to pointing backward. They actually sound very good (were they pointing toward you). For me, this was one of the items that led to a < 5 star rating. The speakers are adequate for watching a YouTube video or listening to a Google Voice mail but inadequate for enjoying music. Bottom line - if I want the device for listening to music I either (1) dock it (see item 4 above) or (2) put in a pair of Ultimate Ear headphones (problem solved).

6. Multitasking is easier to navigate on Honeycomb. There are multiple new benefits from 3.0 when it comes to multitasking. Do not underestimate the value of true multitasking on the tablet. This feature makes using the Android version of a tablet most similar to using a desktop computer (most folks who use desktop/laptop computers will take multitasking for granted).

Conclusion: I like the purchase. I'd do it again. This device was probably rushed to market a bit (4G and microSD not active) but I'm glad it was. I'd prefer to have it now and get the additional functionality later (better late than never). While there are multiple news apps in the tablet portion of the app store already, I'd really like to have access to 'The Daily' which is already on the iPad.

Lack of 5 stars due to:

1) Speaker quality (although I really have nothing to compare to - not sure how good tablet speakers are supposed to be).

2) Lack of microSD and Flash support at launch (two features it will have versus iPad).

3) Weight - again, I'm not sure how much I'd expect this to weigh (with 10.1" higher-than-ipad resolution screen and all the other features). This is a great tool to surf the web and get work done while parked in front of the TV. If you read in bed holding the device over your head while lying down you'll get a workout.

Final thought: if you're on a tight budget and can tether with a cell phone I'd be tempted to wait until the wireless only version comes out to save a couple hundred bucks.

UPDATE: I've owned the Xoom since it came out - time for an update:

1. Battery life is great. I do not do a lot of video intensive operations although my kids watch streaming movies from Amazon Prime and yet I haven't had to charge it prior to the end of a full day's use. We do have the speaker dock so it tends to get stored there when not in use which likely helps with battery capacity. Bottom line - no concerns with battery life.

2. The market is expanding. I have kids of all age groups (4 from age 19 to 5). They have pretty much claimed my Xoom. My younger daughter loves the books available from Ocean Media - they range from $.99 to $3.99 and are very interactive which help with reading and learning. She stays engaged with learning longer as a result of the device.

3. Overall Honeycomb comment - good and getting better. There has been one software update which has helped with a few tweaks. Still no microSD support although I'm doing fine (so far) with the 32 gb internal. Overall, my wife and I love the functionality of widgets. Nice to customize the home screen for one view update of weather, email, calendar items for the next few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xoom meets expectations and promises more in a short while, February 27, 2011
Alex M. Fischer (Saint Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I have been following the Motorola Xoom ever since it was codenamed "stingray," so when a date was announced for when I would be able to pick up this beauty of a tablet, I couldn't wait. I won't talk about the Verizon service (which as it stands right now does not compare to my T-Mobile speeds) all I will talk about is the hardware.

I've owned two iPads, and the Xoom is head and shoulders above it. First thing's first: it has a Tegra2 DualCore processor which means this thing is blazing fast. The 10.1 HD screen means beautiful videos and pictures. The micro-HDMI out plug means you can hook your Xoom up to a TV. Android 3.0 "Honeycomb" is amazing (though don't kid yourself, even hardcore Android users will have an adapting period in terms of navigating the device and carrying out tasks)

I bought this for 799.99 off-contract, but you can purchase it for 599.99 at Verizon Wireless, with a 2-year contract. Also, (rumored in May) you will be able to send in your Xoom to receive a free hardware upgrade to 4g. You won't pay anything at all, and Verizon has stated you won't have to change your plan in order to access the 4g speeds (assuming your city is LTE-enabled).

Flash 10.2 will be available in a few short weeks as will support for microSD cards, so don't let that keep you from purchasing the Xoom.

Also, you cannot charge this via USB like you would with your phone. This isn't because Motorola wants to sell you another charger, but rather the max amount of voltage that a USB puts out and how much a micro-USB port can handle. A Xoom will go from 0 to 100 percent battery life in about 3 hours, and that's incredible when you think about the batteries inside (Two 3250 mAH batteries, though it reads as one)

The Xoom's screen is made from Gorilla Glass which means you won't be neeeding a screen protector anytime soon (unless you don't like a glassy feel). I've always been paranoid about my phones and other electronics with screens and thus have always put a screen protector on them. Having said that, I HAVE NOT put one on the Xoom, because Gorilla Glass is THAT good.

Now for the negatives:

The volume rocker is too flush with the Xoom, and thus it can be incredibly hard to push the buttons sometimes. You'll have your finger on the volume up or down button and swear you're pressing it, but you're not pressing it in the right spot.

The speakers are good, not great.

All in all, I give the Xoom 5 stars. Sure I could knock off a star for the volume rocker or the lack of flash and microSD card support on launch, but the fact is that the latter two will be fixed with a software update, and the volume rocker you learn to live with.

A lot of people will complain about price and how the iPad is only 500. What you have to remember is that when you take a comparable iPad model the Xoom is only 70.00 more expensive, and with that 70.00 you get more RAM, a faster processor, bigger screen, microSD support (via software update) thus enabling your storage up to 64GB, Flash (again via software update), and an operating system designed for a tablet.

If you don't feel like spending the money, a wi-fi only tablet will be out at some point for 599.99. What's nice about the wi-fi model is that the only thing different from the Verizon model, is the 3g/4g, as opposed to the iPad which takes out the GPS as well if you only buy the wi-fi version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect. But better than iPad..., February 28, 2011
I own an iPad and like it - but the lack of Flash and the "closed" iTunes irritates me to no end, so have been waiting for a decent Android tablet that isn't a glorified mobile phone.

Xoom is a nice tablet. Feels a bit heavy, although supposedly same weight as the iPad. Screen is nice and despite not being as bright as the iPad, is more than acceptable - the bright setting is way too bright and the auto dim feature is quite good. Very solid feel. Cameras work, but I can't ever see myself using them. Haven't tested the 3G as all I plan to use it is for WiFi - and WiFi works flawlessly - saw my network immediately with excellent d/l speeds.

Honeycomb Android OS is nice - much better than iOS IF you have the slightest inclination to have control over your own device - if that's too much, stick to Apple - you're in a cradle-to-grave environment set up for the lowest common denominator intellect (and that my friends, is pretty low).

Chrome's tablet optimized browser is very nice - tabbed browsing and well integrated that feels much more like a desktop experience than iPads weak Safari browser. The nice browser experience is one of the most appealing features of the tablet.

Gmail is easy to use, if only offering the typically basic features one expects - but better than previous mobile phone versions. Anyone suggesting Apple's email is better is nothing more than a complete charlatan/poseur/fanboy.

Took an hour or so to learn all the features (should have read the small manual), but now use them like I've always used them. Reasonably intuitive. A week later and using the Xoom is seamless.

Only limited apps at the moment - fine with me - I don't use many apps - email/browsing/music is 95% of my use - without the Bluetooth keyboard, can't see this (or any tablet) as viable replacement for a laptop as the onscreen keyboard is too difficult to use (although perfectly acceptable for basic email/web browsing). If silly/pointless/useless apps are what you like - forget the Xoom.

One irritant is some websites see Xoom as a phone and load the mobile versions of their content. There is a simple work around to force "most" websites to load as "full" versions - do a bit of googling on the various Xoom discussion boards and you'll find them - Android Forums has a few links on how to do it. Takes a few keystrokes and 15 seconds to fix - surely someone will make an app that does this, or Motorola will update the software.

I like the Xoom as it is fast - very little difference btw my higher-end desk top and this for basic apps (email/browsing/pdf reading etc) - obviously it can't compete with cpu-intensive apps, but nobody should expect a tablet to do that - at least not yet. The only time I found it bogs down is if you load a half dozen pages at once - something I never do but did it for giggles.

I give the Xoom a solid 4.5/5 (upping my rating half a point as I've seen what the so-called competition (iP2) is offering. However, the current lack of Flash is annoying (a software download is promised in the next few weeks from Adobe). Plus the lack of 4G hardware (has to be shipped to Moto to get installed) and a few quirks (like surprising weak speakers from a company like Motorola is strange). The power button is also poorly placed - the iPad is more intuitive. That said, after a while, you don't really think about it. The volume buttons are too small - why not an onscreen volume control using touch? Doesn't make much sense to me why neither the Xoom nor iPad have touch volume controls. I'd have preferred a full size HDMI port, but not a deal breaker - can use to connect to TV with good results. Haven't played video to my TV yet (just photos).

By comparison, I'd give the iPad a 3. I am very interested what Apple will deliver with the iPad2, but I doubt it will overtake Xoom's hardware/software lead - probably take iPad3 to do that (and a few days after the iP2 launch, that's clear - iP2 isn't up to par with the Xoom - lacks features, smaller screen, is still slower). Of course, the app selection for the iPad is significantly bigger, although the vast majority of them are pure junk anyway, so who cares (other than fanboys to use as a silly talking point to defend an inferior product)? As more Android tablets are released as the year progresses, I'm sure Android will offer just as many useful apps as I suspect Android will likely dominate the market in tablets in the next few years (as it now does phones and just as PCs dominate the Mac).

I have no problem recommending the Xoom. But with the imminent release of iPad2 and a slew of other Android tablets, I suspect prices will fall significantly in the last half of the year (edit: perhaps they merely stabilize as new features are added). I suspect $600 will be the high end with many of the lesser tablets forced to the $300-$400 range. That said, ~$800 for me isn't a big deal, so I picked one up and happy I did. The iPad is now just gathering dust and I'll likely be selling it on Amazon (argh - waited too long - now the market is flooded with people trying to get a tablet that comes close to competing with the Xoom)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleaner interface, but rather buggy, March 12, 2011

Now for my biggest complaint, it seems that the OS is still pretty buggy. I have had several applications just immediately crash on opening (and repeatedly crash each time I try to open them until I reboot the Xoom). I suspect where I am seeing similar behavior that it is a problem in the OS instead of the individual applications, but regardless it is rather annoying.

The App Market has had a much needed makeover, but is missing key functionality (posting reviews, marking reviews as useful or spam, it doesn't filter things you have already installed from search results). It also seems that there are not that many applications built specifically for the tablet yet. That being said, apps like the USA Today app really shine on the tablet.

I suppose my last complaint is that the Gmail app doesn't distinguish between read and unread mail very well.

All-in-all, I think a few software updates from Google, and the annoyances from the bugs should go down. I think this will eventually be a viable alternative to the iPad going forward (or I at least hope so).

5.0 out of 5 stars For the "Right" Buyer, It's the Perfect Tablet, May 22, 2011
Caution: Long Review, very detailed. Read if you're just super curious or on the fence.

When I say the "right" buyer, I mean this device markets to a certain niche of users. When I first heard that Xoom sales were terrible I lost a little faith in the Android miracle tablet. However, in the week I've owned the Xoom (and the countless hours I've spent on it when I should be sleeping) I have been more than blown away. THAT DOES NOT MEAN, however, that you will necessarily love it as much.

Some things the Xoom falls short on--I'll talk about those below. But on the things that it doesn't fall short on, it more than exceeds. I've had time with both the Xoom as well as the iPad (1 and 2), and I'll make comments comparing the two as I go.

Because I so enjoy it, I've written a formal review. I hope this might help those who are on the fence.

*Who Should Buy It?*
*"Nerds" and "Geeks": if you like the customisable interface that Android offers, Honeycomb won't let you down.
*Tech-spec junkies: go read the spec sheet and you'll see what I mean
*Anyone willing to learn: Android devices have a higher learning curve than iOS devices. Don't expect it to be so easy a caveman (/grandparent) can do it. It took me a full day to get use to the operating system--it's even different from previous versions of Android--but once I had, it was smooth, understandable, and usable. If you're one to get frustrated and give up on newer technology, go back to your Commodore 64.
*Media junkies: the tablet renders all media gorgeously. The large internal memory and the promise of expandable memory means it can be a virtual library of all your favourite songs, movies, games, music videos, and TV shows.

*Who Shouldn't Buy It?*
I'd rather say "who should be careful about buying it."
*Businessmen: unless you want the 4G speeds, or need some serious graphic rendering capability, Android isn't really optimised for business use. iOS is simply better for the simple, mundane tasks asked of someone who is really looking for a larger Blackberry. That's not to say Android can't do everything iOS can, but why complicate the matter unless you want other, non-Business-manly(tm) features?
*The Impatient: Android isn't the easiest thing to get use to, and can certainly have a lot of force closes.
*Anyone who needs maximum simplicity.
*Anyone who wants something cheap. Unless, of course, you define "cheap" as circa $600. In which case, go to eBay. I got my Xoom (4G version), a dock, and a case for $640 after tax and shipping, expedited.

*What Killed It*
You might ask yourself, why doesn't one see everyone with the Xoom if it's such an amazing tablet? Honestly, no matter how awesome a product is, corporate stupidity cannot save it. Here's what went wrong, in one tech enthusiast's opinion:

1) Exclusivity Agreements:
The Xoom was scheduled to be available only through two providers: Verizon or Best Buy. Normally exclusivity agreements such as this aren't a bad thing--people line outside of Apple Stores and AT&T kiosks for newer iPhones. So where did it go wrong with the Xoom?
*Verizon required that one activate the device (buy into a short-term data contract--all outrageously priced, starting at 20$/month/1gig) before buying a tablet from them. $800 + $20 + Tax > buying an iPad, so the "early adopter" market for non-Android junkies shrunk considerably. (Verizon later relented, allowing a customer to buy without activation so long as they bought an accessory, and then relented on the obvious profiteering a couple weeks later by allowing customers to buy the device alone for what it actually cost. By then, it was a little late.)
*Best Buy didn't really market the device at all. They still don't. I remember spending half an hour wandering my local Best Buy looking for the Xoom--I walked from the Tablet selection to the Mobile kiosks and back again. Try finding it at your local Best Buy. It's at the end of the netbook section. There were never any flashy signs showing where the tablet was. Nothing even suggested it was carried. Great way to start off, no?

2) It Wasn't Ready:
Is it ready now? It's ready enough.
What really got the Xoom attention was the combination of 4G speeds on an operating system promised to be polished and refined for tablet use. What was released was a device lacking 4G support--or even SD card support!--and boasting what can only best be described as a late beta of an obviously unfinished operating system. There wasn't even Flash!
Since then the 3.1 update has remedied all but the 4G/SD Card issues, which are rumored to be fixed before the summer.

3) Bad Marketing:
*Motorola's commercials seemed to focus on the same trendy show-and-glow that made the Droid an instant success, only they forgot one key part. While the Xoom commercials all featured fancy sound effects, cool demonstrations, and a scifi feel, they did not present facts. (Remember the first "Droid Does" commercial? Yeah. No lists of comparisons with these ads.) To make matters more complicated, Motorola originally branded the Xoom as a "Droid" product, but dropped the name at the last minute. I'm sure the buzzword association would have picked up a few of the less-geeky Android users.
*Motorola refused to sell the Wifi version at the same time as the 3/4G version. Couple that with Verizon's profiteering and Best Buy's negligence and you end up with a high-end tablet at high-end prices in not-so-obvious places.

*Myths Regarding the Comparison to the iPad 2*

1) "iOS has more apps ready for tablet use."
*The comparison is simple: open the "Featured Tablet Apps" page on the Android Market and you get about three dozen.
Apple, however, has over 300,000 apps that all run on Tablets, and 65,000 are tablet optimised.
Such an erroneous comparison!
*Android apps have been made to scale, because Android developers have had to develop for hundreds of different phones with various aspect ratios. As a result, an obvious phone application can work without a hitch on a tablet by scaling up the distances between objects and stretching backgrounds. Facebook, Evernote, CalorieCounter, and Twitter are all examples of "phone" applications which can be run on the Xoom WITHOUT BEING OBVIOUSLY DEVELOPED ONLY FOR PHONES. In reality, most of the 100,000+ Android apps will run on a tablet.

2) "Apple controls the market"
Jobs isn't a math major, that's for sure. In the iPad 2 Keynote address, he claimed a >90% market share of all tablets ever produced (assume the Galaxy Tab and the iPad 1 were the only tablets ever built--Apple would need to sell over 3 million more tablets just to reach the 90% mark. But they're not. Cheap foreign competitors and lesser-name products have been cramming the market for years.) All of that besides, unless you're looking to play some two-player chess with your buddies, it doesn't really matter that the iPad is a popular tablet.

The Review, Proper

*Software*

1) Android Honeycomb 3.1: 10/10
*Widgets:
Run smoothly (most of the time) and offer a depth of interactivity that one cannot find on any other tablet. Widgets are interactive--you can flick through your library, scroll through emails, or browse the market without ever leaving your "Homescreen", or "main menu." The closest comparable feature on the iPad is the "search" bar, which for some reason has its own homescreen pane.
*Google:
Being a Google operating system, one has native access to certain Google features, such as Gmail, Step-by-Step GPS navigation (exclusive to Android), maps, etc. Additionally, one can use Google's voice recognition servers to be lazy and have the tablet type smaller phrases for you, such as search terms.
*Malleability:
As an Android device, one can--if one so chooses--do literally anything they wish with the device. You can make it run faster by overclocking, or save battery by underclocking (if adventurous enough to root.) You can install applications from third party websites, other app markets (such as Amazon's), or be a bad person and pirate them. Don't do that unless the Market won't install something you've already paid for: Android developers put a lot of effort into their programs, and it often shows. One could also, in theory, turn their device into a wireless hotspot. I don't like Verizon's data plans, nor do I plan on rooting until after the 4G update, so I can't tell you how easy that would be.
*Keyboard:
The virtual keyboard on the Xoom is very nice, though the landscape mode requires some getting use to. I advise setting "Autocorrect" to "Aggressive" in the system settings, or else you can end up pressing the letters to the left of your intended letters, and end up with sentences that make no sense. After a bit of use, it becomes very natural--easier, in my opinion, than the iPad. I've even used the landscape keyboard to write a four-page English essay, in dactylic hexameter, without too many problems.
But the real winner is the portrait mode. The aspect ratio, screen size, and keyboard formatting in portrait mode all come together to make thumb-typing easier than on a phone.
*Browser:
A real keeper. The Browser is indistinguishable from a desktop browser: tabbed browsing, in-page searching, Flash, you name it. After the 3.1 update, scrolling and zooming (xooming, hah) became much more fluid. Speed tests rank the Xoom browser, laden with all of its memory-hungry features, as being just as fast or faster than Safari on the iPad 1 and 2.
*Note: I would have given 3.0 a 7/10 rating, but the 3.1 update really made it feel like a modern operating system ready for the consumer market.

2) Application Availability: 7/10
*Android market: >100k apps (compare that to Apple's 300,000. This is the major drawback, especially for people who like ten different games of the same genre.)
*Tegra "THD" (ultra high graphics) games: <20 (compare that to Apple's whopping 0. If you want to know what I mean, there are YouTube videos comparing the upcoming game "Galaxy on Fire 2" in Tegra THD graphics mode and iPad graphics mode. The differences are mindblowing.)
*Amazon market and third parties: if you can't find it on the Android market, you can probably install it from somewhere else.

3) Stability: 5/10
The biggest drawback.
While 95% of the time, everything will work fine, the other 5% of the time something force closes. I had to give this a 5/10 just because one shouldn't have to put up with force closures on a high-end tablet. I will note, however, that very VERY rarely is the stability such an issue that a full reboot is required--normally one can just force-close the malfunctioning application, reopen it, and everything works as expected. It can be obnoxious, however.

*Hardware*

1) Audio: 6/10
*Speakers suck. There's a "Comfortably Audible" range between 75% and 100% of the volume, and of that, 90%-100% of the volume can cause it to sound "tinny." Regardless, if you keep the volume at 80% and don't hope for vinyl-quality audio playback, you won't have too many issues. I sit my Xoom on my dock and listen to Pandora for hours on end with the volume at 80%, and not only is the sound comfortably audible, but it is also comfortably clear. Just don't hope for a boom box.
*The second speaker complaint--direction. They face away from you, meaning you can't really set your tablet down on your bed, screen facing upward, and expect to hear anything.
*The volume rocker is poorly designed. The buttons are hard to find and harder to hit. Might sound like a meager complaint, but it can get obnoxious.

2) Video: 10/10
*At full brightness, all the colors come through as one would expect.
*The Tegra 2 Chipset means video comes through crisp. I mean REALLY crisp. Video renders better on my Xoom than it does when my MacBook plays DVDs.
*The battery doesn't seem to take too much of a hit doing graphics-intense rendering. I can watch movies or play Samurai II: Vengeance without any noticeable and sudden drop in storage.
*The Tegra 2 Chipset also means amazing rendering of video game graphics. You really have to see it to believe it.
*The screen is actually pretty big.

3) Interface: 8/10
*Pros: thinner bezel makes the device look streamlined and modern, maximising screen size; the lack of physical navigation buttons actually saves space; despite the weirdness of having the power button on the back, you never hit it without meaning to; comfortable in the hands; ports aren't intrusive.
*Cons: volume rocker; speaker direction; curved back means that, if you put it on a flat surface and push on one side, it will rock; thin bezel and weight make it impossible to hold the tablet in one hand without either cradling it with an arm or inadvertently touching the screen

4) Innards: 10/10
*Tegra 2 is amazing. See above.
*1 GHz dual-core means everything loads quickly
*HDMI out with complete mirroring means I can play Angry Birds on a 52 inch plasma tv. Niceee.
*iFixit gave the device an 8/10 repairability rating--in other words, it's not that hard to take apart and put back together.

---
Conclusion:

I'm pretty sure if you've read this far, this is the device for you. Once more software updates are pushed, and once the tablet gets SD card and 4G support, it will truly be without rival, and worth the full $800. Right now it is a worthy competitor for the iPad.

If you're hesitant, don't worry. I was too. But it's turned out to be an amazing investment. I take my Xoom with me everywhere--often in place of my phone. It is much less intrusive to carry a tablet than a laptop, and a tablet offers more functionality than a phone--so if that's what you're looking for, you really can't go wrong with a Xoom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better Internet browsing device than iPad2, March 20, 2011
This review compares the Internet browsing experience on the two devices (Xoom running Honeycomb 3.0.1 vs iPad2 running iOS4.3), in the following 7 categories:

Operation: The quick control system on Honeycomb browser allows you to go back, forward, refresh, bookmark and other actions using your thumb when holding the tablet. This is not a default setting. User will need to enable it in the settings. Once enabled, the action bar will disappear and thus give you more real web page display. You can popup an action menu by swiping either of your thumbs from edge. The popup menus will display where your thumbnail swipes and is arranged around the thumb so that you can easily click an item.
On iPad2, you move your hand to click on the buttons on the top.
Winner: Xoom

Multitab Browsing: On iPad2, to switch between tabs, you have to click the tabs button then chose a tab from the new tab grid view, this is a bit cumbersome especially if you are familiar with multi-tab browsing on a full pc/mac browser. On honeycomb, tabs are always displayed on the top just like they are on a desktop browser and switching tabs is a 1-click thing.
Also, Xoom has 1GB memory while iPad2 has 512MB, whether this translates to more tabs supported on Xoom is yet subject to test.
Winner: Xoom

Typing: The touch screen keyboard on iPad2 is designed for a phone (just like the whole OS) and thus not suitable for the bigger tablet layout. Typing on it is even slower than typing on iphone, basically you are forced to type a full size keyboard using one finger. On honeycomb, you can download the thumb keyboard input method from market (free). This soft keyboard layout the keys around the bottom left and right corner so that you can type using both thumbs while holding the tablet with both hand, pretty much like when you type on smart phone with both thumbs, and thus achieve the same typing speed.
Winner: Xoom

Screen real estate: Xoom has a higher resolution 1280x800 comparing to ipad2's 1024x768. This means Xoom displays more content than iPad 2 when viewing the same page.
Winner: Xoom

Color Rendering:, ipad2 is the clear winner in this category due to the superior IPS screen it's using while Xoom is using TFT which is common on laptops. Basically Xoom gives you the same color as normal laptop, while iPad2 gives you the color as on macs.
Winner: iPad2

Flash: Xoom supports Flash while iPad2 doesn't. It means there a great number of websites that xoom can visit normally while iPad2 simply can't. According to a survey done in 2008 , somewhere between 30% and 40% of all pages tested contained Flash files. Most popular websites already started to provide versions compatible to iPad, but it could be annoying when you bump into one that doesn't.
Winner: Xoom

Speed: according to several tests, Honeycomb browser on Xoom is on par with if not slightly faster than safari on iPad2 .
Winner: Xoom and iPad2

5.0 out of 5 stars Picked up the xoom on the 24th, February 25, 2011
wow can't say enough great things about the xoom, well built solid feel. fast, very fast and the battery charges really quickly and lasted me over 10hrs of CONSTANT use yesterday. i haven't had any issues with pictures on it, if the quality of the picture is low when it gets blown up the screen (since the xoom does scale pictures up automatically to fit the screen when you open them) it will look pixelated just like blowing up a picture to fill your pc monitor, high quality pictures look great. one thing though avoid the motorola folio case, it is cheap junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't decide between xoom and ipad, but glad I went with xoom, March 11, 2011
I was on the fence FOREVER about whether to buy a Xoom or an iPad 2. But I finally went with the Xoom. Why? Because it, and specifically Android's Honeycomb OS, best replicates my desktop experience, which is what I want a tablet to do.

Easy multi-tab browsing. Lightning fast multitasking. Customizable widgets and app shortcuts. Flash support coming on 3/18, which means my kids will be able to play their favorite games on Playhouse Disney and Lego.com. USB port for easy file sharing with my PC. I could go on and on.

The one reason I almost went with the iPad 2 was apps. Would there be enough Android apps to take advantage of the Honeycomb OS? The short answer is yes.

I probably downloaded 20+ apps last night, and maybe 6 were table optimized. The other 14 ran great. Only a few failed to fill up the screen. But I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of useful and fun apps available to download on the android marketplace. My wife said my kids were playing the games (which I downloaded last night) on the xoom this morning before school, which was great to hear. My daughter picked it right up last night and was using it to do schoolwork on the IXL math website.

So we are very pleased with the Xoom so far, and have no regrets at buying it over the iPad 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST PERFECT, March 7, 2011
Why is it you can never find a gadget that has everything? I always find things I love about a few devices but can never find everything I want on just one. This Motorola XOOM has plenty of things to rave about but a few negatives as well. I would like to try the upcoming iPad 2 and Blackberry's new tablet before making a definite decision but I am very happy with this device overall.

Currently, only 32 GB/3G is available. This tablet's operating software is Android 3.0 honeycomb. Verizon is promising an upgrade to its 4G network down the road and XOOM does provide for expandable memory (with a card) but a future software update will be needed. The speakers are adequate.

LIKED
* The 10 inch screen is made of gorilla glass and is a thing of beauty! Not only does it provide great resolution (better then iPad in my opinion) but it also eliminates the need to place a protective film over the screen.
* Allows for Mozilla Firefox - this is a HUGE plus for me. It's a paired down mobile version but it still beats everything else.
* Being able to download most webpages with flash support being promised in the future - I hated the blank pages I would get on the iPad if the webpage included flash.
* It multi tasks like a dream! This is where XOOM outshines competitive devices.
* Ability to use other media players besides iTunes.
*2 mega pixel camera in front for video chat and a 5 mega pixel camera in the back for photos and videos. Very nice indeed.

DISLIKED
* The high price tag.
* The limited number of Android apps for the XOOM. I understand that this market is very new so this should not be an issue down the line.
* It is heavier then I would like.
* The volume controls require effort.
* Cannot charge via usb and the wall charger is big! This is not convenient. I have been informed that it is now possible to charge via usb but need to verify.

I would recommend this device as a great alternative to the iPad but I find the price tag a little high. It is a solid device and I will probably keep it but I keep thinking that there is something better coming around the corner and at a more competitive price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Outstanding, March 7, 2011
The Motorola Xoom is in a class of its own!! I've never been more satisfied with a tablet than I am now..coming from a iPod touch 4th Gen..a Archos 70 & a Dell Streak 7 which were just ok.The Xoom is a godsend.Never before have I had a desktop like experience on a tablet..not until now.Everything works great.Battery life seems to go on forever.You can multi-task..have music playing..have several windows open..browse the market..all with no lag!!! I'm simply blown away by the Xoom.

My cousin has a I pad (big ol iPod touch) which I played with but saw nothing special about it that I couldn't do on my iPod touch.The Xoom is a whole new game.Honeycomb works great.Just ready for flash & this Xoom will be perfect!!!