Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MOTSENBOCKER LIFT-OFF 411-45 Sealant Remover, 4.5 oz
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 5, 2012
With the packaging on this product reading "Silicone Latex Caulk Remover" I had higher expectations that it would do a good job, but I was disappointed. I removed the silicone caulking from my shower and had some difficulty removing the final thin film so that I could put on new caulking. I used this product as described, but found that it only did a mediocre job at helping to remove the remaining caulking. It did help remove about half of the remaining caulking, but it was still difficult to do so. It was better than not using the product at all, but didn't meet my expectations.
I bought this to remove my old silicone caulking in the bathtub and floor. It is labeled biodegradable and much more less toxic than others on the market. It does have a warning to be careful when you use it next to a painted wall as you may want to test it colorfastness first.

In regards to its effectiveness, I would say it does work somewhat that it helped me loosen up the silicone caulks around the tub and between the tiles. It will not dissolve the existing silicone caulk. What it does is it makes it easier to scrub off old one with the help of a caulk remover tool. Also, using a silicone glove, I felt that the remover penetrates the gloves into my fingers. Some of the leftover fragments silicone that were still sticking on the tiles, were also much easier to remove on the second pass.
on March 9, 2014
Despite following the directions, the product didn't work for me. The amount of caulk scraping necessary in my bathroom was just as much effort as another bathroom I did without using this product. Also, the odor was quite strong and required very good ventilation.

During purchase, I was tempted to get the larger bottle, I'm glad I didn't because it would've been a waste of money! If I could give this product less than one (1) star, I would have.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 29, 2011
I was faced with having to remove a lot of old latex and silicone caulk during a bathroom remodel. After tying (and pretty much failing) to get rid of it by scraping, I gave this a try.

It didn't magically zap all the caulk away, but it did make the job much easier. I bought it in a spray container at Lowes - in addition to being a better value, the spray made application much easier.

What worked for me was to score the old caulk (removing the big, loose chunks during the process), spray it liberally with the remover, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then scrape away. (As an aside, a caulk removal tool that has a V-shaped head makes the job much, much easier than a flat blade scraper). The remover really helps loosen the grip of the old caulk. Still a lot of work, but easier than doing it all via brute force. As you would expect, it's more effective on latex than silicone, but works on the latter as well.

I also found that it's a great tool to brighten the surface of old caulk that has become discolored. There was some almond color caulk at the base of the tub where it meets the tile floor. Over time, it became quite dingy looking. The caulk itself was sound, however, so I didn't want to remove it. So, sprayed some of the remover on a scrubbie (the kind you use to clean non-stick pans) and scrubbed the old caulk. It removed just a small amount, but enough so that the color returned to a nice almond shade.

The smell is not great, but it won't choke you either. It is caustic, so you'll definitely want to use gloves. Helps a nasty job go by a little bit quicker.
on March 6, 2016
I was a little skeptical about using this product after reading all the negative reviews, but after trying it, I think that the efficacy of the product depends on what it is being used for. I needed something to break down silicone caulk that was holding an undermounted porcelain sink to a travertine marble counter top. We tried for hours to remove it with just a utility knife and had no luck. We applied a little of this product to the outer rim of the sink bowl where it was sealed to the counter top (we had to push it into the gap with a putty knife so it could get where it needed to go), let it sit for 5 minutes, and were able to easily remove the sink after about 30 minutes of sawing between the sink bowl and counter top with the utility knife. Perhaps if you're trying to remove every last remnant of caulk off of something, this might not be the best choice, but if you're trying to get 2 things apart that are adhered together by caulk, this works great! And I didn't think the smell was all that strong, as some reviewers complained about.
on October 1, 2013
I have loved all Mostenbockers Lift Off products for several years. They all work fabulously. However, when some spray paint from a project that had soaked into some newspaper had been left several weeks on my vinyl upholstered hope chest by my front door my stomach hit my toes. I didn't have any paint remover at all. All I had was a sample bottle of the Silicone Latex Caulk and Foam Sealant remover. I trust Moistenbockers so I gave it a try anyway. At first the paint begin to smear. I thought the vinyl was melting. It wasn't. The more I wiped the more smeary the paint became and then the ENTIRE smear came off. Best part? No, I repeat, no damage to the top. There is no discernable mark of any kind on that black leather-looking vinyl. There is none left in the pores. There is nothing! That was silver spray paint.

Fast forward to this last weekend. My husband called and asked if I had any Mostenbockers that would help clean spilled latex paint out of car carpet. I STILL haven't replaced or re-ordered any paint removing Mostenbockers. All I had was what was left of the Silicone Latex Caulk remover. I gave it to him and then ended up going with him to see the situation first hand. The friend had laid a damp cloth over the spill. It had softened the paint. The Mostenbockers proceeded to liquify the paint and then it was wipeable and beginning to come up. I predict a full recovery on the car carpet.
Mostenbockers Rocks!!!
on September 28, 2013
Absolutely, 100 % useless ! Razor bladed off all apparent silicone, then tried this junk. No effect whatsoever on remaining residue from clear glass in spite of instructions, repeated applications, and wait times. Ferget about it !
Try [...] for alternatives.
on October 22, 2011
I found Motsenbocker's Silicone Latex Caulk & Foam Sealant Remover doesn't work well removing caulk. Hot water worked better than this! In addition, the smell is nauseating.
on April 28, 2015
It works ok, but really needs quite a bit of scraping to do the job.
on December 20, 2011
I bought this to loosen the thin film of silicone caulk that remained after I removed as much as I could with a razor blade. I left it on for 5 minutes and wiped it with a paper towel. No silicone removal noted. I reapplied and left it on for 30 minutes. Again no silicone removal noted. Tried for a third time leaving it on longer yet. This product did not work for me. It did not loosen the razor thin strip of silicone caulk that remained on the metal shower door frame or the thin strip on the fiberglass shower stall walls.

See 1 answered question