2,169 Reviews
 (1,468)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I saw it in the theater.
At a time when movie-goers reward high budget, formulaic, Hollywood concoctions, I am grateful for this creative, unconventional, genre-defying movie. By genre, I don't mean musical or drama. I mean film, theater, opera, circus. Somehow the director had so much vision he managed to take so many unsavory elements (unoriginal love story, singing, dancing, so much lace and...
Published on January 14, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2* The Spirit is Willing, but the Script is Weak
What a frustrating movie! This may be remembered as the film that hastened the return of musicals, and it features dazzling costumes, sumptuous colors, and imaginative film techniques, but there are so many problems that I came away feeling cheated.
It was a creative and daring idea to set a musical in 1900 Montmartre's famed "Moulin Rouge" using contemporary music...
Published on February 25, 2003 by M. Allen Greenbaum

‹ Previous | 111 12 13217 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film Of Great Imagination, July 13, 2007
Nicole Kidman has never looked lovelier and Ewan MacGregor has never seemed purer of heart in this imaginative, touching, visually-explosive production from 2001. Some have cited Bollywood's influence on this musical, all I know is this is a brave, quirky movie that works to perfection and tells a story only someone dead of soul could fail to fall for. Set in 1890's Paris and told in flashback (as with 1999's American Beauty, within moments you soon forget you are seeing a flashback and almost discard the fact you are watching a great tragedy unfold) Moulin Rouge imparts its love story between a beautiful showgirl and innocent writer, and does it among some of the most intense sights and sounds ever caught on film. And the soundtrack, which mingles modern music with tunes from the past, has to be heard to be believed. The cast---both the characters and the modern actors who portray them---is terrific, and director Baz Luhrmann pulls few punches in bringing life to this eccentric story of truth, beauty, freedom, and love. Moulin Rouge is a movie everyone who is anyone will probably want to see at some point, and it has never looked better than in this widescreen DVD release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moulin Rouge - Very Entertaining!, May 24, 2007
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I did not go to see this movie when it was in the theaters. So when it was shown on TV last month I watched it and fell in love with it. I'm sure this movie does not appeal to everyone but I think it's great. I think the casting is right on. The music is fabulous. The look of the movie is colorful and fun to watch. I bought the DVD and watch this movie over and over. I never tire of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Trip into another World, April 25, 2007
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
This has to be my favorite musical of all time. The way they blend different songs into the dialogue of the film is simply amazing, tying song to story in a way that creates a flowing and creative story. Kidman and McGregor's work on this is amazing, creating characters that you really care about and want to know.

An insane barage of images, song, music, lights...this film will leave you breathless and wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise!, January 23, 2007
therosen "therosen" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Color, speed, drama and delightfully anachronistic music fill this surprisingly enjoyable movie set in turn of the century (1899-1900) Paris. A boy falls for a courtesan, they decide to run away, but it's a love fated to go bad. The story has been told many times before. I fully expected to dislike the movie, but something about the pace, the unexpected musical twists, and the scenery made this a great movie. The medleys (perhaps Montage is a better word?) combine classic musicals, R&B, cartoon music and grunge - and they pull it off successfully. Perhaps the only regret is seeing it on DVD, as the movie experience must have been grand.

That said, I saw it with my dad, and his only reaction was, "This is very strange"

4.0 out of 5 stars A view behind the velvet curtain, March 15, 2006
Bryan A. Pfleeger (Metairie, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge is not a film for everyone. Some my be put off by its editing others by its overly theatrical setting but on a careful viewing the movie comes off quite well and maybe a classic of musical moviemaking. Enough has been said on this site about the plot of the film so this review will look at some of the special features that make this a worthwhile purchase.

The disc's high point comes in two separate commentaries: the first featuring Luhrmann, production designer Catherine Martin and director of photography Donald McAlpine. This commentary while technical gives a glimpse into the design of the film and the skill that went into mounting such a huge production. The second commentary features Luhrmann and his writing partner of 20 plus years Craig Pearce. This commentary is lighter and goes into the details of the writing process.

The true genius of this DVD comes on the special feature loaded second disc. This material carefully put together by Luhrmann covers virtually every aspect of the filmmaking process. We have features on writing, design, marketing, the music and many other topics along with brief interviews with the involved artists.

As said this is not a film for everyone but it is a unique film in that the director got to express his creative vision with essentially no holds barred. This disc is a memorable and fun look at the movie making process which I would recommend enthusiastically.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must-see., December 22, 2005
Kiki (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I thought this movie was completely and absolutely bizarre the first time I saw it. Then I proceeded to watch (and comprehend) it a few more times, and saw what a masterpiece it truly is. The soundtrack is spectacular...definitely give this film a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the senses and the heart, December 22, 2005
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
At first I was skeptical that Nicole Kidman could pull this off, but boy was I wrong. She not only pulled it off but soared as Satine the bad girl with bog dreams in 19th century Paris. The chemistry between her and Ewan McGregor's Christian, a naive writer who goes to the red light district to find 'truth, beauty, freedom and above all love' against his fathers advice, is intoxicating. With a stellar cast and an amazing mix of old and new pop songs this brilliant musical makes you not only want to sing and dance, but love with every fiber of your being. I highly recommend this amazing and timeless love story to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very surprised how I keep liking this movie, April 25, 2005
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
It seems like such a long time ago that I feel deeply in love

with this film. Guess what. I realize everyday that I still am.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favorites, March 10, 2005
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I second all the good things said about this movie. The modern music and the classic dance numbers make you want to just break out and celebrate life, real living and love. Ewan and Nicole are also really good together and much better singers than I had thought they would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Past, Into the Future, March 6, 2005
This review is from: Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I have been monitoring the discussions on this movie for some time now. I originally heard about how original and inspired the conversation had become a few years ago in a local bullitin. That all seems to have died down.

I am an old Hollywood insider. I did production work in the 50s and 60s. Things have changed but some things have not. I am fascinated by the discussion of religion and eastern mysticism and what not. My master agreed with most of it actually.

My problem is that no one is talking about how this movie plays with time and nostaglia. Very basically, it is an attempt to clothe nostaglia in new sounds and costumes. We are taken back in time and it seems like we're there for the first time. That is a technique that is done very well and not often discussed.

Thank you for your time.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13217 | Next ›

Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) by Baz Luhrmann (DVD - 2003)
$26.98 $25.00