5.0 out of 5 stars Moltrrie Game Spy
Very pleased. very good camera for the money. Has IR flash so people cant see it at night, Pictures are high quality.Will accept 16 Meg SD Card. Also makes video.
Published 22 months ago by JEFF N

3.0 out of 5 stars Here is a tip related to the SD card
Published 22 months ago by MikeH

3.0 out of 5 stars Here is a tip related to the SD card, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
I just got the D-55IRXT and it appears to be well built. The problem I had was I could not set the date and time. Called support and they had me do a hard reset but no luck. Support asked that I send it back. Not what I wanted to hear so I thought I would reformat the SD card, most SD cards come formated for use in digital cameras. I reformated the SD card to fat32 using a USB cable connected to the D-55IRXT and my computer. After formatting, disconnected the cable and turned the unit on. Went to Date and Time and everything worked. Hope this helps those who may be exeriencing a similar problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moltrrie Game Spy, October 6, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll Be Sorry!!, October 30, 2012
Tamara M. Naleid (Park Falls, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
I'm hoping my lack of success with the Moultrie D55-IRxt is simply a run of bad luck off the shelf. I bought two units and they both took good daytime photos and okay nighttime shots. After importing the pictures from the memory card to my MacBook Air and looking at the results I was pleased. But after replacing the memory cards back in the cameras my frustrations began. I realized each camera was only taking two or three pictures and although indicating on the screen that it was "Taking" a photo nothing was being transferred to the memory card. I called Moultrie service and they said that only non-premium cards could be used and that I should not put the memory card in some digital cameras and delete pictures on the camera. I had done that with one of the cards. I then tried reformatting my cards but the results were the same both in the field and on test runs I ran at home.

I gave up and returned both cameras to the store where I had bought them (30 day return policy). Thinking I had purchased a couple of lemons I grabbed two more new units off the shelf along with the tech recommended memory cards (SanDisk SDHC in 4GB) and was careful to set up both cameras in my home and then move them out in to the field. I retrieved the memory cards and inserted identical replacement cards in both cameras. On one card I had 57 photos and on the other 36 photos(Using a 30 second delay setting). The next day when I pulled the replacement cards I was right back to the problem I had with the original two cameras-2 or three shots of me setting up the camera in the field and that was it. Both sites were heavily hit by deer over the evening but not a single picture on either camera. I spent two hours running different test runs at home on both cameras but always with the same results- 2-3 pictures.

I again called Moultrie service and was told that my experiences weren't unique. The camera has a problem reading some cards. I gave up and returned both replacement cameras to the store.

Scrapes are starting to appear and deer movement is picking up and there could not be a worse time to be without cameras in the field. I'm so bummed out that I don't want to waste any more of my time fighting with cameras and will just put my time in on the stands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
Have been using the camera for about 6 weeks now. We got the camera to try to identify and track the feral cat(s) living here, and so far it has worked quite well for that. Picture quality in the daytime is good for this type/quality camera. Picture quality for the IR nighttime pictures is decent also, but the exposure time is apparently fairly slow, since we've gotten quite a few pictures where animals were moving and were blurry. Don't try to enlarge the pictures more than about 4-5x -- you are getting a 5-megapixel camera for this price. If you need to identify very small features in the photos, or if you are using it to surveil a large area in "plot cam" mode and need to blow up the pictures a lot, you probably are going to want to spend more money on a camera with more megapixels.

But it's been perfect for what we wanted to do with it. The motion detector is sensitive enough to pick up small animals at 10-20 feet. We've got pictures of our resident feral cat, another cat that shows up from time to time, possums, squirrels, birds, a rabbit, people (at 30-40 feet), wife's car, plus some photos that don't seem to have much of anything in them (could have been triggered by a bird or a leaf blowing in the wind?). But too sensitive is better than not sensitive enough.

Battery life has been fine so far. We've taken nearly 1900 still pictures and 26 short videos, more than half with the IR flash at night, and in temperatures down to 2 deg. F., and the battery readout says the batteries are at 53%. We're using Energizer Max alkaline batteries. If you are using the camera in "plot cam" mode instead of "trail cam" mode as we are (pictures on a time interval vs. pictures triggered by the motion detector), you could easily take a lot more pictures than we have in 6 weeks, not to mention videos, so your mileage may vary. Taking videos did seem to eat batteries. The manual suggests lithium batteries for "plot cam" mode and videos, and for extreme cold.

I got a Kingston 16 GB SDHC Class 4 card for the camera. It seems to work fine. The pictures at max resolution are 1200-1300 KB, so it would appear that you can store up to about 15,000 pictures in a 16 GB card. If you plan on taking a lot of video, you might want the max size card (32 GB), since video can eat up a lot of memory space.

Some things that aren't in the manual or description (as far as I can tell):

When you turn the camera on, there's a 30-second countdown delay to allow you to get out of the picture - nice! Not much help for the photos of yourself when you walk up to the camera to turn it off, but you can always delete those.

Unlike most consumer cameras that I've used, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the camera to not reset the picture number when you empty the card. That is, the pictures are named PICT0001.JPG, PICT0002.JPG, etc., but when you empty the memory card, the picture numbers start over at 1, and the next batch would also have names PICT0001.JPG, PICT0002.JPG, etc. This can cause confusion (or even cause you to lose pictures by copying over old ones) if you're not careful. You can get around this by just leaving the last picture in the camera when you dump the pictures into your computer: say the camera took 47 photos when you first set it up, so you have picture files named PICT0001.JPG - PICT0047.JPG in the memory card. You dump pictures 1-46 into your computer, but leave 47 in the memory card (there's a good chance that PICT0047 is a picture of you walking up to the camera to turn it off anyway). If then the next time you take 152 pictures, when you dump pictures you will find pictures PICT0047.JPG through PICT0199.JPG in the camera. Not sure what happens when the number gets up past 9999 -- maybe creates a new folder in the card to put them in (which I've seen consumer cameras do)?

The thermometer in our camera seems to be fairly accurate. I calibrated it against a lab thermometer and it appeared to read low by a couple or three degrees most of the time. It did seem to vary a bit while I was trying to calibrate it. No doubt it is affected by direct sunlight shining on the camera. Good enough for its intended purposes, though.

The screw hole on the back is NOT a standard tripod size. Information on the screw hole doesn't seem to be in the little manual or on Moultrie's web site. Moultrie customer service was polite and semi-helpful, telling me that it was a 10/32" hole, meant to attach to some mount that Moultrie sells. It actually is a 10-32 hole (SAE #10 screw with 32 threads per inch). I was able to easily find a screw at the local hardware store to attach the camera to an angled L-shaped bracket I made to point the camera down to the ground where our critters were showing up.

In the spring, I intend to try using the camera as a time-lapse camera -- have always wanted to take time-lapse "movies" of plants growing, and it looks like this camera should work just fine for this.

Update after just over 2 months: The camera display was still telling me that the batteries were at 53%, but it quit taking IR flash photos. It still appeared to flash, but wasn't taking photos at night. Was till taking photos in the daytime. When I checked it up close I found that when it actually tried to take an IR flash picture, the display flashed "Low Battery" (then wandered around a bit and eventually went back to 53%). Beware, the battery indicator is apparently unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
Had an intruder on my property and knew who it was but couldn't bring charges without proof. This camera got the job done and got rid of my human pest. Took clear shots easily 35ft. Probably further but it can't see through a building. The person I got was actually stalking me. With the date, weather and my name on the shot the person couldn't claim the picture was faked. I know this isn't the purpose of the camera but I'm impressed by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
Had this camera 3 weeks. Lots of fun to check for game. Gives clear images day or night. Already caught a bear twice, several deer, and my son and daughter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
This camera takes good pictures including night ones. It has 2 shortcomings, one: it uses 6 C cell batteries. I knew this when I bought it but C cells are not used in other applications as much as AA bats which would make the case smaller and I could buy the batteries in larger, less expensive quantities. two: It sometimes misses movement and the pic that you would have liked it to have taken. I have tried this using me as the subject and it seems to miss my movement around 25% of the time..otherwise i like it. I have a bushnell trail camera and i like that a little better but it doesn't do low light as well as the Moultrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Moultrie Camera, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
This product was as described. It was delivered fast. It takes amazing pictures of all animals during the day and at night. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surveillance camera, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
Very pleased. I purchased it a surveillance camera for my garage. The pictures are great and I can easy access them on the card. I will purchase another.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures but Stopped Working, September 1, 2012
fenx1200 (Marietta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera (Sports)
I bought this camera with high expectations and was pleasantly surprised by the great picture quality.
I bought the camera in June of this year and by August it stopped working. I called customer
support and it looks like it has a capacitor issue so I am sending it back for repairs.
I would just like to comment on products made in China: for a decade now I have
been observing how products I purchased from China have failed right-out-of-the-box,
or have failed in a short period of time. This covers a wide range of products, and
even automotive parts. The cost to the American consumer is enormous and is
helping bring down our economy. Take me for example - I now have to pay
shipping costs to send the product back for repairs, and the company must
pay someone to fix the product, and then reship it back to me. This adds to the
cost of the product, my time of not using the product, and the company's increased repair costs.
It is time for America to manufacture its own products once again, and place high
tariffs on the junk (sorry for this word) coming form China.
In the long run, its not worth all of the repairs and failures from Chinese-made
preoducts of low quality. I am afraid to buy anything with this always on my mind.
As an update the company sent me a new unit. It's working fine, and I have taken hundreds of photos.
I have noticed that the unit gets hot in direct sunlight, and I suspect that the
capacitors may fail due to the heat. I am planning on buying another unit soon.

Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera