5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little trail camera

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera With Nice Features
Published on June 7, 2011 by FNSUP

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera With Nice Features, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I wanted to post a quick review on the Moultrie Game Spy M-100 to help those who may be interested in purchasing this trail camera. I'll state that I'm no novice when it comes to trail cameras and what I expect from one. This past year I've captured over 100,000 images of deer and other wildlife with the various trail cameras that I own. I also realize that this camera is in the mid-range price point, so the level of expectation is set at that bar vs. the high end cameras available on the market. This would be my first purchase of a Moultrie trail camera, and what intrigued me was the time-lapse photo capability so I decided to give it a whirl.

For starters here's what I liked about the camera. First the IR flash range at night is very good. I could easily see out to 60ft and beyond. The entire image was illuminated vs. seeing the tunnel effect that some cameras have at night when their IR lights are focused in the center of the image. Search the internet for trail camera reviews and you'll find for 2011 this unit rated very high in IR flash range. Second, I really like the time-lapse option that this camera offers. It's easy to set up with options of taking photos all day (daylight hours only), or portions of the day. It can also be setup in a hybrid mode where it will do time-lapse during portions of the day and trigger off of the motion sensor at night or during the day when not in the time-lapse time period that you set (i.e 3hrs before dark or whatever you set it to). It will not however do both at the same time meaning that when in time-lapse mode it will not take motion sensored photos when an animal walks in front of the sensor. It will only take the next photo in the time-lapse sequence at whatever delay you've opted to use. Third I like the quality of the photos during the day, or when in time-lapse mode. I set the camera to the highest quality and it takes great photos. The 2" LCD screen is also a nice added feature for being able to quickly review you images. Also the trigger speed seemed to be pretty good as well and captured motion fairly decently. Multiple photos per trigger will help there as well.

There were some things however on this camera that I wasn't impressed about. The first being, that when taking IR images at night, every image of a moving target was blurred pretty significantly. So if your plan is to leave this camera on a trail hoping to catch animals walking by, expect some images where everything is nice and pristine except the animal walking by. In my mind, if you can't distinguish features such as a deers antlers on a regular basis if they're moving then I'm not getting the quality images that I need for scouting purposes. So beware that moving targets blur. Another item that I wasn't so keen on was the amount of visible red light that the IR flash puts out. Granted, there were no claims made that this was semi-covert, black flash, or anything of that nature. Just compared to other cameras I have used with visible IR flash this cameras red LED's are brighter and more visible. So if spooking deer due to the red glow from an IR flash is a concern, this camera has a bit of a noticeable bright red flash. It's obviously how they cover the longer flash range. Brighter light, longer flash cycle. I've found that some deer spook when seeing the red flash from IR LED's and others do not, so it's something you'll need to decide for yourself. Third, the video capability I would rate as OK. I don't use this option very often due to a 10s min flash of a visible red light at night that deer tend to notice and get spooked. When the video captured has deer looking straight at the camera, stomping their legs and doing the head bob... they've noticed the camera which I do not want. Also, the audio was sub-par on the camera that I received. To a point that it was pretty useless. Lastly, my thoughts on battery life is that it could be better. Moultrie does highly recommend using lithium batteries especially when doing time-lapse photography. I would plan on following their recommendation. I tend to rely on high quality rechargable batteries when I can. In trail camera mode you should be pretty good using rechargeable vs lithium, but will only get about a day or two at the most in time-lapse using the 15s option. Granted that's a lot of daylight images, but I've got cameras that do way better than that in time-lapse using rechargable batteries. In the trail camera mode you get an "estimated days left" of battery life. This is based on approximately capturing 5 images per day and 5 images per night. In front of a feeder only capturing 10 images in a 24hr period isn't all that realistic for those that plan on using their camera in that type of set-up. So it's not all that accurate if you expect more that 10 images a day/night. It may estimate 150 days left of battery life, then go back the next day with 200 images captured and it estimates 35 days left type thing. One last note... the sensor range that I saw was limited to about 40ft which if you think about it is not that far from a camera. Could be the temperature seeing that it's summer at the time of this review. Just a side note.

All in all, I think for the price the camera is decent and has nice features. The time-lapse option is good for watching food plots or open areas but will require lithium batteries or to be powered by an external battery which is an option with this camera. The IR flash range is great. Daytime photos are very good as are night time with no moving targets. If you purchase this model however, I would plan on seeing some pretty bad blurring on animals that are moving when taking IR images at night, and plan on using lithium batteries for best results which can get a little expensive. I opted to return this item due to the blurred images I was seeing with moving targets at night and due to the limited sensor range that I was experiencing. If you're sitting over a feeder or bait pile I think you'll be happy. If you're trying to capture old mossy horns walking briefly by the camera at night on a lone trail in the woods... you may not be as elated.

Hopefully this review helps others weigh the pros and cons about this trail camera when trying to make a good decision as to where to spend your hard earned dollar. I would always challenge you to read others reviews as well to get a broader sense of how this camera is performing for other individuals. These are just my thoughts on how this camera performed based off of using much higher end cameras, and experiences much lower end trail cameras as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little trail camera, March 21, 2011
Ackboater (Nantucket, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I couldn't be happier with this trail camera. There are issues though. The contacts on the battery tray do not make contact inside the camera with many users. I have not had this problem with my camera. It works flawlessly. The nighttime IR pictures are excellent as well as the daytime pictures. Easy to set up and run. Takes less than two min to learn how to use it. Amazing how small it is. There is a way to lock it to a tree on the side of the camera. I use a python cable lock to secure mine to a tree. They will still steal it but anything to slow them down and consider moving on to the next unlocked cam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I recently purchased this item after playing around with an older Bushnell. I have to say I am very impressed. I LOVE the fact that this has a password on it. This makes it useless to anyone who would walk off with the thing. The picture quality is great and the night shots are really good. The IR lights up to a very long distance. The video quality is "Meh" even on the high settings. I would have liked it to be a bit better but that would be my only complaint. This camera is very easy to use and although I did read the manual I really didn't need to. I like the "aim" button which lets you aim the camera using the screen before setting it. So far so good. I would recomend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally Died In Less Than Fifty Days, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
Update - July 27th:
It took me 30 minutes on hold to finally speak with tech support at Moultrie. They acted completely suprised that a M-100 died. They haven't had a SINGLE report of a M-100 dying. All they could think of to help me was to have me put in a completely new set of batteries to try and get the unit to turn on (wow, why didn't I think of that).

After I put in a third set of new batteries while on the phone and letting them know it still didn't turn on, they told me they would send me an email with all the information I needed to send the unit back. I asked them if they could just mail me a UPS or FedEx return shipping label and they said they don't do that. They said they wouldn't pay to have the unit shipped back to them, but I was lucky because they would pay the shipping to return the unit to me. They said that the "Other" game cam companies make you send a check along with the defective units to cover the return shipping.

I got the email right away, but it was just a link to their website. [...]

At their website you have to fill out an online form that looks like something from the 90's and then you just ship your unit back to them WITHOUT a RMA number. I shipped my unit back via FedEx on Wednesday the 20th and FedEx reported it delivered on Friday the 22nd.

I received an email from Moultrie customer service on Monday confirming that they have received the package. They went on to say that I am very important to them and that my package will be handled in a timely manner. Then they went on to say that their current estimated repair time is three to four weeks and that they appreciate my patience.

Original Review:
I purchased this unit on May 26th (From Ace Digital - Through Amazon) , received it on May 27th, and it died on July 14th. Unfortunately, I did not find out it died until I went to check on it today, July 19th.

This thing is a major battery hog. In plot mode, regular alkalines will only last 3-4 days. I finally switched to Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries on July 12th, so I was surprised that the unit seemed like the batteries were dead when I went to check on it this morning. I was hoping I would get a lot better life out of the Lithium batteries, but I went ahead and put a new set of batteries in the unit. The unit still wouldn't turn on, it's totally dead.

I immediately went to Amazon.com to see how to return or exchange this product and was disappointed to see that my return options ran out on June 26th. I decided I had no other choice but to call Moultrie. I've been on hold with Moultrie for the last 20 minutes. Supposedly I'm the 12 person in queue. Their message keeps telling me they are experiencing higher than average call volumes and they suggest I hang up. Great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, June 27, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
Great features, takes quality pictures and it is easy to program. So far I like it a lot for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moutrie Game Spy M100, November 2, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I have a couple Moultrie cameras and this is my first small one. I really like the small size and review capability in the field on the built in screen.

About the only thing I don't care for is the fact that I have to answer a question every time to review the next picture. "Do you want to delete this picture, yes/no". Big waste of time. I would prefer to flip through them and delete them on the PC or something rather than having to move the cursor to yes or no and then hit enter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moultrie M-100, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
Have had this camera for about a month and have been very happy with the results. Set it out in the woods about Sept. 17 2011, and when we checked it on Oct. 14 it still had 59% battery life left. This was the biggest downside to this unit when reading reviews, but I am happy with the product. For the price and quality of the product I would buy this product again in the future. Should have bought the lock box right away though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moultrie M100, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I have had several Moultrie cameras and this one is easy to set up and easy to use!
Easy removable battery tray also has a 12 volt aux port!

2.0 out of 5 stars dont buy, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
i was so excited to get this camera, but when i got it put it up on a food plot and boy o boy was not happy at all.every picture at night was so bright the deer looked like ghost. then day time pics at ten and eleven o clock were so dark couldnt even tell if it was a doe or a buck..... def. gonna return and never buy a moultrie camera again....

5.0 out of 5 stars Moultrie M-100, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Game Spy M-100 (Sports)
I now have two of these cameras, exceptionally easy to use, great pictures, very long battery life, especially if you use the suggested litium batteries. The bear cage that is offered fits perfectly, easy locking at the bottome and made of heavy steel. For the price you cannot go wrong. I also like the security code on the M-100. The other model I think it is the M-80 does not have the security code. Other than that it is the same camera. a little les expensive. Moultrie has given me excellent support also on some technical questions. Good to deal with. No problems at all. Small and compact also.