5.0 out of 5 stars Handy SD card reader in the field
Published on August 22, 2010 by Tom

1.0 out of 5 stars Not As Handy As It Appears
After breaking a netbook I carried around to check my game cameras, I got this Moultie viewer. I liked the concept.

Published 24 months ago by Brian S. Shaffer

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy SD card reader in the field, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
I use the Moultrie picture viewer to read SD cards at my dozen or so game cameras (mostly Moultrie game cameras) on game trails and feeding sites out in the Minnesota north woods. Because I can view game pictures and videos at my cameras, I can make adjustments to camera locations, positions and settings based on pictures taken. The images on the Moultrie picture viewer are bright and clear, even in bright sunlight (which is more than I can say for other SD card viewers I have used in the past). I can copy pictures or video clips to a second SD card in the viewer if I want to save them or study them later on my computer. As anyone who uses game cameras knows, reviewing pictures from a game camera is like opening presents on Christmas day: there are nearly always great surprises. While I started out looking for big bucks, the real joys and surprises come from the bears, bobcats, turkeys, and other assorted wildlife that pass by my cameras and are photographed. The Moultrie picture viewer just adds to the fun in the field.

The only problem that I have ancountered so far seems to be battery life. While Moultrie has greatly improved battery life in its game cameras over the last five years that I have used them, the four AAA batteries in their SD card viewer seem to run down too quickly. But this is a small criticism for an otherwise very handy field tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture Viewer, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
My Moultrie Picture viewer is perfect for viewing pictures from trail cameras. It is small, lightweight, and works great. You can delete the photos you don't want and transfer the others to a computer later.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not As Handy As It Appears, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)

The concept is good, but the execution is not. The viewer is slow to pan through pictures and the zoom function (which is needed) only zooms the center of the image. So if the detail in the image is somewhere other than the very center (which is often the case with animal pics from a game camera) and you need to zoom in to see it better, you can't do it.

Maybe you want to download the images from your camera's card to the card in the viewer. You can do it. However, if you haven't checked your camera in a while, say 2 weeks during which time there was a lot of activity (my experience), if you want to copy those 600+ pictures to the viewer's card, then bring along your lunch and a chair because you are going to be waiting a LONG time. The transfer rate is disfunctionally slow.

Deleting images is equally slow and frustrating.

Battery life was not impressive either.

My hunting buddy had another solution to this problem. He bought an inexpensive digital camera to view the cards from his game cameras. Amazon has a variety of digital cameras that use the same SD card for a comparable price, slightly more, and slightly less than the cost of the Moultrie viewer. The only thing the digital cameras don't do is allow for the transfer of images, but you have the option of using the camera as a camera. The Moultrie viewer doesn't do anything else.

If you think you are going to be saving images from your camera, then buy a couple spare SD cards. Most of the time for me, I check the images to see what sort of activity has been in the area and when, and then delete the images and put the card back in the game camera. So this isn't a big deal for me and I suspect it won't be a big deal for a lot of folks with game cameras who don't archive all their images.

The Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer is really just a one-trick pony that is so inefficient that it doesn't even do that one trick very well. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars useless, November 15, 2010
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
pictures looked good. When you use zoom feature you cant pan the picture. this makes the product useless.If what you want to see in the picture is'nt in center of frame you lose it in the zoom.Returned the product with no issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be better, October 18, 2010
JDC "jchan1947" (Huntsville, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
Very handy and shows photos okay when you can get them to show. To many times the photo will not be available due to file not readable. The batteries do not last long enough. When you do have it all correct some how it does show good photos and the data choices are great.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, November 11, 2010
Horrible product. Stay away. Zoom only zooms to
the center of the pic. Does not play videos as
advertised.returned mine to amazon who has an excellent return policy. If you have already purchased this product, then you should try out amazon's amazing return system!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget!, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
We have two game cameras we leave out all during hunting season. Having this gadget allows us to view the images right out in the field. Then we know if we need to move our cameras and hunting spots. No more taking the cards all the way home to see what we have. Great gift for the hunter or wildlife enthusiast!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than we excepted, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
We bought this item to read our Cuddeback game cameras, since the Cuddeback viewer is $120+. Super excited and pleasantly surprised that it works GREAT! So far it reads every kind of SD card out of every camera we put in it. We can also transfer pics to one SD card and save them while clearing another SD card to take more pics. You can also zoom in on areas of each pic to get a closer look. Very cool! I would highly recommend it - it's easy to use and works better than we expected. Thanks, Moultrie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price and excellent product., March 6, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
Amazon had this viewer cheaper than anyone else. The product itself makes viewing pictures at your camera quick and easy. The menu and operation of the camera could be a little more intuitive, but overall I am very happy with it. Don't waste your money on the more expensive ones, this is all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't beat it for the money, November 25, 2011
This review is from: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer (Sports)
I've had mine for two hunting seasons and it works great! No problems whats so ever and I told my friend and he bought one. I understand alot of reviews say you need a bigger viewing screen, ya a little bigger would be nice but your paying $59 to $79 what do you expect not to mention you most likely saw the screen size before you bought it and I know it said screen size on pkg. so if you want 4" or bigger your going to pay alot more there made to briefly check in field if any question of pic. then you take it to your computer! Awesome viewer, buy it you'll be glad you did, honestly!!!

ARRAY(0xaa34b69c)