Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mountain Boy Sledworks Slalom Sled
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 4, 2011
The "bridle" which the ropes attach to is badly flawed in design. On our third run of the day (first day we ever used it) the right-hand side broke cleanly off. Our kids are 7 and 5 and we were on an incredibly tame hill at low speeds. All we got was tears as their new sled was broken.

We soldiered on, steering with our hands on the left side, and right hand on the nose (sliding on our belly) for a few more runs before the LEFT side cracked and started to break off.

As is, this design and sled are ridiculously fragile. I see here some folks have contacted the manufacturer about it, which is fine, but as-is this I would STRONGLY encourage people to look somewhere else. Unless the new design/part for the bridle is metal, I can't see it holding up.

FOLLOW UP: Company DID respond rapidly/intelligently to my wife's call, so I bumped this up to 2 stars from 1. They are shipping out a temporary replacement, and report to be working on a long-term fix. Still, hard to endorse a product that they obviously did not do ANY real testing on.
on December 28, 2010
Beautiful looking sled but design is flawed. Steerable wooden handle is made of plywood and so not strong enough. Handle broke on first use. Replacement handle broke on next use. Returning item.
on February 12, 2013
PROS:
Beautiful design; a standout on the sledding hill.
Sturdy construction; seems destined to last for years.
Fast. Floats on top of powder, glides over icy mush.
Responsive. Turns easily and quickly.

CONS:
Responsive. Turns easly and quickly. Maybe too easily. and too far. Maybe it should have a stop on the turn radius. Takes a while to get the hang of making a controled turn that does not end in a wipe out. Then again, the second and third-graders seemed to think that was the point. I wouldn't recommend this for pre-schoolers; probably best for the over-eight to adult sledder.

ASSEMBLY:
Several others have mentioned that the screw holes in the handle do not quite match up with the holes in the front of the sled, so I was prepared to redrill the holes and not surprised when they didn't quite line up on mine. Thankfully, I looked twice before drilling. When I turned the handle around to match the picture, they lined up perfectly.
Probably unnecessary, but before assembly, I gave everything a coat of carnauba wax. I don't know how much the wax contributed to the fast ride and quick steering.
on December 15, 2013
I give it five stars primarily because I had the best hour and a half sledding ever with my 3 year old boy today. The sled is a perfect size for two to ride together with room to spare (and fine for one of course). It's fast but not out-of-control fast and it handles/steers great.

Also it's a great looking product; it definitely stood out among all the other plastic whatevers other people had on the hill.

Hope it holds up over the years...for the price I do not consider it disposable.
on December 30, 2008
This is a beautiful sled - wood grain is gorgeous. The sled seems very sturdy from the wood perspective. As far as performance, I would say this did as well as a wooden toboggan and much more steerable. The downside I see with this and all wooden toboggans is that this needs a constant coat of wax to really perform well. I bought the version with the wooden runners and the rope handles. The rope handles are too small to get your feet in with boots and the wood runners really need wax. The newer version which is now advertised on amazon corrected those two pints in that it now has a wooden steering handle and plastic runners which don't need wax. In comparing this sled to a flexible flyer with runners it is much slower on hard pack snow/ice but better on powdery conditions. I would also look at the mountain boy "ultimate" flyer. This has a unique plastic bottom that allows it to function like extremely well in both powder and packed snow/ice. I own both and would say for the money the Ultimate Flyer is the most versatile and fastest sled I have ever owned.
on January 1, 2011
After reading the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere, as well as the reviews for a lot of other sled designs, I was pretty sure this was the sled for my family. We received it quickly. The Amazon price was great, which isn't always the case, and it was just as beautiful as the pictures and descriptions indicate.

Unlike the Mountain Boy Ultimate Flyer sled, it comes in two pieces, and you have more control when you assemble it over how easily the steering mechanism turns. That's good and bad, as the screw that determines tightness seems to loosen a little over with use, and I'm concerned it will rust over time as well because it is not sealed away like the turning screw of the Flyer. On the other hand, its great for grown ups to have additional turning sensitivity.

We tried the sled out over Christmas on a long, moderately sloped hill with around a foot of powder. It was faster AND more controllable than the other two sleds we tried, including the 52 inch Flyer. I think it will be even faster on packed hills. Unfortunately, the curved, plywood steering arm broke the third time I put it in the car, so I will have to wait to fix it to find out. I wish they had used two pieces of straight, 1 x 3 oak for the steering arm instead of the plywood. It might not have been as pretty, but the extra strength clearly would have been worthwhile so this is what I will use to fix it.

All in all a great buy.
on January 6, 2013
I purchased 3 of these sleds last winter. These sleds are fun, fast, and not a single trip to the hill goes by without someone asking about where to get one. To date, the kids and I have about 15 hours of hill time on them with no issues. They are fast and steer exceptionally well on fresh snow and hard pack. Steering on iced areas is sketchy but that is to be expected with plastic runners.

Workmanship:
Out of the box there were some imperfections in the wood and finish. Not a big deal for a $80 wood sled. If I paid $150 MSRP then I would have complained. And it's not like they arn't going to get nicks and dings from dry spots and the occasional root/rock anyways.

The sleds have a bent plywood handle and I had to drill open two holes to fit the bolts.

Use lock tight when assembling so the screws don't back out as there are no retention washers shipped with the product.

Waxing:
It was difficult to get a good even hot wax coating on the base and even harder to get the wax scraped level given the curvature of the sled body. Maybe someone who knows how to wax skis could do better but it makes the sled go faster even with my hack job of hot waxing. I decided not to hot wax the other two sleds. If you try this be carefull to not touch the plastic rails with the iron as they might melt.

On the other two sleds I use Johnson's floor wax on top and bottom. It helps the sleds go even faster and adds an extra layer of protection from melting snow.

Other thoughts:
I took the sled off a jump and got about 3 feet of air under me. The first thing that hit on landing was my knee. Go figure, it hurts when landing on a wood sled with your knee first. The handle flexed some on the landing but I'm a 2XL guy. These sleds should hold up to a childhood of memories.
on December 14, 2013
Going into second season and still together. Rotating pin still solid but we watch that we don't hit any mounds or bridge a ditch. Paint on bottom wears easily. Keeping bottom waxed is a key. Keeps bottom sealed and sled fast. Great on grassy farm slopes where conventional runners would sink in. Extends our season to minimal snow days.
on January 9, 2013
Ordered this sled for our 10 yo daughter, and came within 5 days of ordering. Super fast shipping from this company. There is some minor pieces to put together, but they give you all the parts and screwdrivers and pieces to get the job done in no time. If I can put the thing together, then anyone can. We are expecting snow tomorrow, so this is just in time for our fun! Thank you for a quality wooden sled, that will last for years, and years to come.
on January 2, 2009
This is a beautifully crafted sled with solid wood used. The finish is done by hand and it shows. Easily will be the best looking sled you have ever had. The sled is designed for a variety of winter snow conditions and does well on all of them. This sled is very fast with a slick high grade finish on the bottom as well as these very slick plastic runners that allow you to gain great speed and traction on hard packed snow. Sled was easily steerable with the wood handles and the pivoting head (top third of the sled will actually pivot as you steer). I think this feature makes it far superior to other sleds in the same category and price. The sled also has molded edges that help hold you in and the sled is big enough for 2 adults or 3 kids crammed in. Other nice thing is that I have been told that Mountain Boy Sleds are absolute sledding aficionados and will stand behind their sleds. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase.

See 1 answered question