5.0 out of 5 stars Rain rain go away.
This jacket rules! I am a loyal Mountain Hardwear fan and this product does not disappoint.
It's perfectly water proof (if you're in a torrential downpour then it will get overwhelmed eventually) and it's extremely light and packable.
You can ball this thing up and stuff it inside the small pocket of a backpack and roll.
As far as how breathable it is, I...
Published on November 9, 2011 by mike

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not the end-all jacket
Sizing:
Published on October 26, 2011 by wheatlandsoul

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not the end-all jacket, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Mountain Hardwear Men's Epic Rain Jacket
Sizing:
I'm 6'1.5" and 185-190 lbs. i.e tall and medium build. It's hard to find shirts and jackets that have long enough sleeves but aren't billowy in the middle. (like an XL I got this jacket in Large, and it fits perfectly. Sleeves are plenty long for my arms, and there's plenty of room underneath for a thermal and a fleece. If you need a "large tall", this jacket probably fits the bill.

Performance:
I've had this jacket for a over a year. I bought it mostly for riding around town in on my bike, and for that it works well. Breaks the wind and if it's raining, keeps me dry for the 15-20 minute ride. I bought the Burnt Orange version specifically with a mind to visibility (though actually it's not that bright). It rolls up into a pretty small package and I can stow if in my messenger bag if the weather looks iffy, or clears up during the day.
This jacket is not real breathable. I get pretty sweaty in it during a sustained activity. You'll also get seepage, particularly in the arms for some reason, in a sustained rainfall. In other words, don't get this jacket if you are going on a 4-day November hike in the Olympic rainforest. For that I would still take my old REI rain parka, cinder-holed and frayed though it may be.
This would be a good choice for summer-hike rainwear, when it probably won't rain but you'd better have a jacket just in case. It's very light and compact-able.

Construction:
This is a durable jacket. Well stitched, strong seams. Big pit-zips. I'm confident in it's abrasion-resistance. I went over my handle-bars on asphalt one time, landing splayed out on my chest, and it didn't leave a scratch on the jacket.

Bottom line: A decent and good-looking jacket, but don't pay full price. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rain rain go away., November 9, 2011
As far as how breathable it is, I don't think many jackets like this are quite as breathable as they say. After wearing it and riding my bike for a little bit I tend to sweat pretty bad. Then when you try to take it off it sticks to you skin because of the heat buildup. This isn't a knock on the jacket I just think when you have to make something waterproof it's hard to not make the inside turn into a sauna, but it should be great for winter anyway.
Also this is a different version than the one I previously had which had better seals on the pockets, but this one just has some overlapping fabric but since that's waterproof it works just fine.

I just realized I'm all over the place on this review but it is a great jacket if you need a very lightweight shell while wearing a heavier jacket or sweater or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mountain Hardware is Legit!, January 7, 2013
Chappy (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
When it comes to outdoor performance gear I will never bother with anything but Mountain Hardware.
Tried a White Sierra rain jacket. It was crap, hot as hell, and water seeped through easily. Northface XL has short arms.

This Epic jacket is perfect! During dumping rain, I had no seepage, hood design is awesome! Pit zips are sweet! I got a great deal at $50 from Amazon so even better.
Nice fit, not baggy like other jackets, arm length is perfect for me.
I am 6'2" 220lbs, 36-37 arm length and I got the XL.

Don't bother with other rain jackets, if you need a bombproof rain jacket and can find the deal... get it, you won't be sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall solid jacket. Lightweight, but not light enough for me., March 20, 2014
I bought this because it was cheap and my Marmot Precip was in for warranty repair. I'm impressed with the durability of the fabric. It's burlier than the Precip. However, there lack of any snaps or rip-and-stick to keep the storm flap over the zipper is a major drawback. The flap is stiff enough that it mostly stays in place, but having it missing keeps me from taking it far from the trailhead. It's a great around-town jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it for Iceland, Tested it in New Hamshire, Great Jacket!, December 2, 2013
We are travelling to Iceland next spring and expect that a cold, wet wind will be blowing for much of our visit. I got this coat for my husband, so he could layer underneath and be waterproof on top. He is 6'3" and the sleeves were plenty long enough for him. He wore it for a week during a rainy New Hampshire fall and it did it's job very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 12, 2013
Perfect in every way. Awesome light rain coat. Mountain hardware always comes through. Buy it, you'll love it. See ya.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect hardshell!, August 16, 2012
Mountain Hardwear's version of the pre-cip jacket affords you plenty of protection against the elements.And deters things like tree branches and cat-claw bushes from tearing up your softshell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close, but not perfect, June 24, 2013
Bought this before trying it on, which was a mistake. It has good arm and torso length, but it's overly billowy. I know that's so I can wear warm weather gear underneath, but it just has too much room. Also, the hood is too large and hangs over my eyes unless I'm wearing a hat. This fits me in a way that tells me it's intended as a brisk/cool weather rain coat meant to be put on over sweatshirts/hats.

But, it keeps me dry and dries off quite quickly once I'm out of the rain. Balls up really small for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Jacket, January 17, 2013
It was exactly what my son needed and wanted. He was happy so that made me happy.
The fit was excellent also

1.0 out of 5 stars The jacket simply isn't waterproof., February 28, 2012
meyers66 (Ping Chen Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mountain Hardwear Men's Epic Rain Jacket
I did my homework before buying this jacket. I've had this jacket for almost 2 years. On the Epic the water simply absorbs through the shoulders and makes me wet. I bought the Epic to replace my 10+ year old North Face shell jacket. Now the NF is more waterproof than the Epic. The jacket simply isn't waterproof. I expect a rain shell like this to last me many years. I've washed it in a machine and hung to dry. I never used a dryer. Every time you take off this jacket the arms pull through because there's no lining. You always have to wear a long sleeve shirt under it because your skin will stick to the inside of the jacket.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Epic Rain Jacket