5.0 out of 5 stars great pants!
i own 2 pairs of MK pants and love them. They are super tough, warm, don't wrinkle & don't look sloppy. They are versatile enough to wear from hiking/camping to any business casual setting. they do run a little tight in the waist, so be prepared to order a larger waist size than normal.
Published on February 2, 2007 by John

1.0 out of 5 stars MK can't get it together
Published 18 months ago by Roy

5.0 out of 5 stars great pants!, February 2, 2007
John (New Jersey) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars nice pants, February 9, 2010
I bought these when they were heavily discounted. For the price I paid, I'm happy with them. They have a very loose cut compared to what I'm used to, but you'll appreciate it if you want them to hang over your muck boots. They would still pass for casual attire in a lot of places. Stitching is on par with Carhartt, which means the fabric will wear out before the seams do. Pockets are reinforced to accommodate clip knives and multitools, which is cool. Fabric appears to be identical to the lighter-weight Carhartt stuff, meaning that I would wear them if I was raking leaves or on a long hike, but not if I was clearing brush or framing a house, so if you want ruff 'n tuff work pants, these ain't it. For super-heavy-duty pants that are comparably-priced, try a certain high-end work wear company from, ahem, Duluth.

1.0 out of 5 stars MK can't get it together, December 28, 2012
First let me say that the MK pants that I own are awesome. However, over the past 2 months I have ordered 6 pairs of the original pant from two different retailers and none of them have fit correctly. No this isn't an issue with ordering the wrong size. I'm a solid 34x32. The first pair I ordered was a 34x32 and they fit great in the waist, but the length was almost 4" off. The retailer sent me another pair as a replacement and the length was perfect, but the waist was way off. I measured the waist and it was a 31 at best. I called the retailer and they sent me two pairs, that I agreed to hopefully get it right this time. They sent me another 34x32 and a 36x32. The 34x32 again were way small in the waist and measured at 31 1/2", and the 36x32 were more like 36x36. I sent them back without hassle and the retailer paid for the shipping, and they notified me that MK had a miss marking issue. I just received 2 pair of 35x32 ordered through amazon, and the sizing again was bad. This time the length was spot on with both pairs, but the waists both measure at 32".

MK pants are quality fabric, and if you can find a pair that fits than you'll have a great pair of pants. But I highly suggest that you only buy them in the store where you can try them on. Because the cut / sew house producing the pant for MK has some serious QC issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Price is GREAT! Actual size and fit is CRAP!, September 7, 2011
I've bought several pairs of Mountain Khakis from local stores priced anywhere form $70 - $85 dollars without any problems of how they fit. That said, I thought I'd found a great deal buying these pants for the price but beware...these are the strangest fitting pair of pants I've ever owned. They are in fact, "Mountain Khakis" however, they seem to be the same quality as a pair bought from "TJ Max" or any other off the rack discount store. That is one that has the name brand but with "defects".

I ordered my pair of 33 X 32 expecting the same 33 X 32 I've bought over the years from my local outfitter. Instead I received a pair of 3? X 3?. I'm not even sure if there is a size description that fits what I received. The crotch of the pair I received end somewhere around the middle of my leg, they feel like a 31 1/2" waist even though the tag inside the waist band clearly says 33 X 32, and the length seems to be somewhere in the 34" - 35" range.

All said, Mountain Khakis are fantastic pants, just don't take the bait on a pair that seem to be a price that seems to good to be true, because it usually is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pants, September 8, 2007
These are cotton duck, substantial and durable, but they are cool to wear in warmer weather.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, but overpriced for what they are, December 5, 2010
My favorite pair of pants is an old American made pair of Orvis rhinohide pants. Basically, a sort of sailcloth made into jeans. I don't like the dumb leathery bits, but I like the tough cloth and the good fit. Orvis, alas, outsourced their production to various third world places, and now their "rhinohide" is poorly fit, and made of garbage cloth. Someone told me these mountain khakis would be comparable items. Well, they're OK, but they're nowhere near as good.

First off: these pants are made in China. Chinese made pants are not as good as American pants. They also make a big deal about somehow being based in Wyoming -nowhere is it mentioned on their website that these pants are made in China. American made is tough to find now a days, I know, but at this price point ... they really should be made in Wyoming.
Second: the cloth may be 10 oz cloth, but it isn't what I would characterize as sturdy cloth. I haven't torn these pants, and hope not to since they cost me almost $80, but I'm less sure of them than I was of my orvis, filson or duluth firehose pants. It's just not that reassuring a fabric. No way I'd use these puppies working underneath my car, but I wouldn't have a problem with that with the other pants I mention, which I *have* worn working under a car without incident. I also wouldn't wear them while hunting: something I would and have done with those other pants.

There are neat features: double thickness at the rear trouser leg (I guess some people wear out their pants there, though I fail to see how this will help much), an extra band of reinforcing fabric at the waistband (not sure what good this does, but it looks ... sturdy), triple stitching, and the crotch gusset is pretty helpful. They also look OK, though they're cut a bit high for what they are. The double-pocket on the right hand side is silly. The standard issue yellowstone color is useless for any kind of serious field work and is fairly ugly for anything else: the cloth attracts dirt and looks filthy after it collects a bit of dust.
As for sizing: it's true in the waist, and long in the leg. In other words, if you're one of those fat bastards who think your Levis size is correct, add two inches to the waist measurement and subtract one from the length to get a proper fit with these pants. It's noteworthy that I have giant 26" powerlifting thighs and take a 33 or 34 waist, and these leave me plenty of room in the leg. If you're skinny, it's probably way too much room, but if you're muscular, they won't cut off your circulation.

Do they look good? Meh. They're fairly tight in the butt for a pair of khakis, which I guess girls will like, but they're also high on the waist, which makes you look like a dork if you tuck your shirts in. Honestly, an average pair of dockers fits and looks better. I guess if you're some REI hiker dude, these pants will look good on you. If you're a clothes horse, they're going to migrate to the back of your pants drawer, both for the ugly color, the way they attract dirt, and the fact that they're not real useful for rugged use. Some people swear by 'em. I'm not buying another pair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong sizing, December 23, 2012
I ordered a pair of 34x32....the same size as the other two pairs that I own. The ones that arrived were huge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful of Granite Color, December 20, 2013
I have purchased two pairs of these pants from Amazon. I got each pair for less than $40, which I think is a fair price for what they are. I would not pay $80 for these pants. I love them, they fit well, they seem to be quality made, but I just would not spend that much for a pair of pants.

Setting that aside, if you are looking to purchase the Granite color of these pants please keep in mind that the photo on Amazon makes the pants seem much darker than they actually are. In reality they are more of a smoky grey color. The actual Mountain Khakis website has a better depiction of the actual color of the Granite pants. I don't mind the lighter color and I am keeping them, but if you are looking for pants that are very close to black (which, in my opinion, is what Amazon shows) then these will not satisfy you.

I have not had any of the sizing issues of some of the other reviewers and as I said I bought two pairs of these pants.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pants, and also not so great., July 24, 2013
I have several pair of MK pants, and while I love the fabric and utility of these pants, the inconsistent sizing and construction is a real down side. Two pair of MK pants that are the same type and same size ought to fit identically, right? NO WAY. They may be shorter, longer, have as much as 1" difference in the waist, be a bit fuller in the leg, etc. The QC of the construction of these pants (and don't let MK fool you, they are NOT made in the USA -- they use cheap overseas labor) is apparently non-existent. The sizing is so randomly inconsistent, I'll probably need to start looking at some of MK's competitors to see if someone makes similar pants and actually cares about quality construction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just NOT the same!, March 11, 2013
Macanudo357 "Skip" (Ft. Washington, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I've purchased these pants in the past thru a retailer who no longer carries the line, so I decided to try purchasing directly from MK via their website. The pants are NOT the same quality, and NOT the same fit. They've cut corners. In addition, Customer Service appears to care less ... unresponsive. So don't waste your money thinking you will get the same quality.

Mountain Khakis Men's Original Mountain Pant, Yellowstone, 36Wx30L