Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.49

on February 21, 2010
This book was excellent!! It was the first Stacey Kayne book that I've come across so I didn't really know what to expect, but this was far beyond anything I'd have imagined. I have since purchased the other two books in the "Wild" series and loved them just as much!! I plan on reading Kayne's other series as well. "Mountain Wild" kept me intrigued from beginning to end with all the elements a romance reader is looking for....I highly recommend it!!
on February 17, 2010
I really loved this book, my first by Kayne. It was a new author for me but the story was really great. Very likable hero and heroine; I was very invested in the story and there were enough twists that no only did it make the story realistic but enjoyable because it wasn't your predictable romance. Also the villian, was very bad...but even he had a story to him. You still hate him but its very interesting to see a romance novel from their perspective. All of the elements really elevated the novel into something really great. Highly recommend!
on September 11, 2009
I couldn't wait for this one to come out -- Stacey Kayne is a favorite author, and this series is a great one. An independent, capable heroine and solidly likable male lead, both with history. Stacey Kayne gives you both sides of the story, and I love that -- knowing what they're both thinking about each other. A smart story with great characters and plenty of old west action. And the horses all have names -- love that! I recommend the rest of the "Mountain Wild" series, too. Anything by Stacey Kayne is gonna be good!
on July 26, 2010
I've read all three of the "Wild" Series by Stacey Kayne and each was better than the last. 'Mountain Wild' really topped the cake in terms of passion, originality and just true romance. I was skeptical on how Kayne would pull off "Mad Mag"-- a young woman who (though raised to 13 years old as a lady) has been living in the wilderness for 15 years, and on her own for half of that. She was raised from 13 by an old, gruff trapper who taught her to survive, but also to be a bit paranoid about society. We've met Mad Mag in the other Wild stories and one thing I loved about her in those glimpses was her sense of humor, which Kayne maintained in this tale.

Maggie was a delightful character to read about- it's amazing that beneath her rough exterior she is still a feminine and vulnerable female under it all. She rescues Garret, the hero, when she finds him unconscious out in the forest. He's been attacked and left for dead, and Maggie is the kind of female who can drag him to her cabin and bring him back to life. When Garret comes to and finds himself alone with Maggie, he doesn't balk or freak, in fact, he thinks she is interesting, sexual and beautiful. Garret's personality is absolutely charming- he is so earnest and sincere and just... CUTE... that you can't help but fall in love with him completely.

Watching Garret woo Maggie is absolutely funny. Maggie is like a wild horse and Garret seems to have all the time in the world. Their chemistry is unique and interesting and their conversations were just simply hysterical. I found myself chuckling and smiling constantly at the interactions between the two. I fell in love with them both.

Besides having such fabulous, well-rounded and deep characters, 'Mountain Wild' also presents a really captivating plot and back story. Without giving anything away in regards to that, I think you'll enjoy this well-written and inventive Western. The landscape is gorgeous, the characters are amazing and the romance is sizzling. For a slim novel, I was impressed with how much Kayne fit into it. If I have any complaint about the Wild Series it's that they were too SHORT!! I wanted 'Mountain Wild" to go on for another 100 pages... it was hard to say good-bye to the characters!
on January 24, 2016
I don't know why I do this to myself. I guess it was the cover, that guy just oozed sexy from every pore... All that dirty blonde hair and chiseled features-Yum! Anywhoooo, this book could have been five stars but it just took waaaaay too long for the heroine's secret to be revealed. It drove A lot of unnecessary angst and prevented a relationship from developing with the hero. This also made for a very one sided relationship. The hero constantly professing his desire and eventually love for the heroine, but her being reluctant and standoffish for most of the book. Not a book that I would reread, but a good story number less. Paid $4.99 through amazon.

Brief summary
The story starts out with the heroine - Maggie. She is 13 years old, her father has just died less than an hour ago and her brother is trying to kill her. They are from a wealthy family and none of the servants step forward to intervene. Maggie tries to hide in the bushes but the brother finds her. A trapper comes upon them and offers to trade her brother some beaver skins for Maggie. The brother agrees. Turns out, the trapper only did this to save her life.

Fast-forward 13 years and Maggie is known as Mad Mag. She is a trapper and lives in the mountains of Wyoming. One day she comes across a wounded rancher who helped her earlier in the book and she nurses him back to health and during the process they have a sexual encounter.

The rancher, who is the hero, returns to his ranch and finds out that his business partner has been murdered and is later set upon by a gang of men wearing masks who want to know where mad mag is. They beat him up and leave him for dead when he does not give them the information they want. This sets off the plot for the rest of the book. Trying to find the identity of the men, Maggie's connection to them, why they killed his partner, and who has been stealing cattle.
on August 30, 2013
Wow, I just finished the third book in this series and I think it's my favorite one. At first, I didn't like the idea of who the female protagonist was but it worked and worked well. Garrett is the best male character that I've come across. His goodness, decency, and calmness in the face of Maggie's cantankerous demeanor is very appealing. He never takes her rude words to heart since he's had a lot of experience with his strong-minded older sister, Skylar. The author has a great way with smart and emotionally on-point dialogue and interactions between the hero and heroine--a rarity--and which are so satisfying to read. There aren't any long and boring inner thought fillers like so many books contain. The action is pervasive and the characters from the other two books are reintroduced in this one as well. It's nice to see how the other couples have expanded their families before, during, and after the story unfolds. All in all, this author really hits her mark with her writing style. I look forward to reading more of her books in the near (hopefully) future.
on April 12, 2014
Mad Mag was a mountain woman everyone thought was crazy. Little did they know the life she had led and the horrible things that had happened to her before she met the trapper, Ira. He became her friend when she was thirteen and traded by her brother who hated he. Mag lived quite a life, befriended Chance and Cora Mae and eventually Garret Daines. Life was never the same for Mag who did not like a crowd or anything other than the highlands where she lived quietly. Great book that has many twists and turns.
on January 29, 2013
Very intriging prologue. I found Garret to be a personality clone of Tucker, which was jarring. Maggie was a mix of Skylar and Cora. The couples in this series all had sex the same way. They all fell in love the same way - with immediate attraction. Gets a little boring.

The first half of the story was slow with Garret and Maggie snowed in and the reader knowing exactly what's going to happen.

The story really picks up once Garret is able to go home and we have some action and conflict coming into the picture. It was all predictable, but the second half really saves this story. I am again in the minority with my review in giving this an "Okay". Too bad the start didn't match the finish. Still, I did enjoy it for the most part.
on March 11, 2012
I stumbled across Mountain Wild while looking in Amazon for a historical/western romance. I was not familiar with any of Kayne's work but I took the chance based on some of the reviews I read here. I'm very glad I did. Maggie is an intelligent woman who makes her own choices and is proactive not simply reactive. Garret is a wonderful match for her. I could believe that if these two people were real and met in real life they could actually fall in love. The plot, action, and romance all unfold logically and at an engaging pace. The supporting characters are also well written and integral to the story.

I will be reading the other books in the Wild series.
on December 2, 2015
3.5 Stars
Reviewed by Suzanne and posted at Under The Covers Book Blog

Ever since being saved from her brother by a reclusive trapper and running into the wilderness, Maggie has been living in the mountains. Called Mad Mag by the ranchers and townsfolk, her disguise as a crazy, hostile old lady has kept every one away leaving her in peace and more importantly safe. But, when she sees Garret Daines half dead in the snow she can’t just leave him there, even if it means he discovers she definitely isn’t old nor mad. However, she never expected him to stir her heart and body with his sincere eyes, good heart and delicious body. But, a shadow from her past has come back and she doesn’t want to drag the man she is beginning to love right to danger and the hangmans noose.

I can’t believe this is the last in the series, I have really enjoyed it and I will miss my dose of hot cowboys and the ladies that love them. I am glad to see that Garret, the heroine from Mustang Wild‘s little brother, get a book of his own, although I am surprised he got hitched up with Mad Mag, a periphery character mentioned in the previous books. However, it was a good surprise and I sped through Mountain Wild managing to finish it within a day.

This romance was so sweet, Garret is a nice-guy type of hero the kind you wouldn’t mind taking home for your parents to meet. You can’t help but fall for someone so earnest and genuine in his affection, especially as he never tries to hide it. Which, is just the type of guy, the wary and slightly cynical Maggie needs. I loved seeing these guys pair up, they were adorable together and leave you with a real feel good feeling at the end of the book.

I have really liked this series, if you are looking for a historical western with plenty of romance then I recommend you give this one a try, they may not be the best of the genre but each book has left me with a smile on my face and I will be sad to say goodbye to all the characters.