Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Color: Steel BlueSize: RegularChange

on July 12, 2010
It was difficult to find the measurements online for the different sizes of these pads.
Here are the details that come with the product when you buy it.

Short: 20" x 48" x 1.5", 1 lb. 9 oz.
Regular: 20" x 72" x 1.5", 2lbs. 5 oz.
Long: 25" x 77" x 2", 3 lbs. 15 oz.
XL: 30" x 77" x 3", 6 lbs. 10 0z.

I purchased the Regular size and I love it so far (only used it once). Very comfortable and lightweight.
1111 comments908 of 937 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2010
I have a Thermorest I spent twice the money on, This Pad is LIGHTER, THICKER, and better built. I am back to buy another because now my daughter even refuses to use the thermorest.
This pad give great R factor in added warmth, has a large valve for inflation/deflation. It is built like steel and weighs like silk.
I am a 350 lb backpacker and I never touch ground with the support this pad offers.
88 comments526 of 551 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2010
My husband and I purchased two of these for our church youth trek last week. I'm NOT an outdoors person and was dreading sleeping at night on the ground. We've tried lots of other camping pads through the years including Thermarest, but these XL size pads (77 x 30) meant my sleeping bag didn't slide off the pad during the night. The pads are remarkably comfortable and as a side sleeper I didn't once feel the ground on my hip or side. My husband's a big guy and he also loves this pad - tall enough and wide enough for him. It is easy to inflate (most of it inflates automatically) and easy to roll back into its compact size. Lightweight, durable materials too. Almost convinced me that sleeping in the great outdoors is worth it!
22 comments294 of 324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
Was very disapointed. After 15 mins the pad blew up. Created a loud tearing noise like it was being torn from the outer layer and inner pad. Then you can see what the cause of the noise was. A large bubble of air was formed. Had high hopes for the product because it was highly rated but I wouldn't purchase. No idea how this happend. Was just sitting on it, and then this happend. It didn't happen when rolling it up because even when we deflated it you can still see the air bubble.
review image
11 comment74 of 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2012
We ordered 2 regulars and 2 longs, figuring we could use the regular for backpacking and our kids could use them in the mean time. Wow what a difference $15 makes! The long was WAY more cushy and comfortable. It was not much bigger rolled up in size (but twice as thick inflated). Both were comfy to lay on but if you're trying to decide, get the long!
33 comments98 of 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
Initially i loved the product, in fact i've never slept on a more comfortable air pad, i absolutely felt no ground, even on my side (using the long version, im 5'11" 160lbs). But after about a week and a half of nighty use in a tent on plywood, it stopped staying inflated through the night. I read the convenient repair package in the sleeve and it suggested inflating it and submerging it, so i did just that, only to find that there were roughly 30 minute holes all over the place on the bottom! The material seems like goretex, its a lightweight synthetic material, but it clearly wasn't strong enough for a little dirt and sand in my tent, and if this is for camping it should be able to handle more than that. I'm going to contact alps and see what they think, and depending on how they respond, I'll update my review. I liked the product and hope they don't disappoint.

--EDIT--

I contacted Alps about the holes, the companies customer service was great, I mailed in the product and they sent back a new one without any charge, despite the product being sold by amazon! Hopefully this one will stand up to the test.

--UPDATE--

The second one stopped holding air just like the first one. This time was while sleeping in a field in Austria, woke up and it was flat. I assumed I had just not tightened it enough. The next night, on a bed, i slept on it to test it, and it was flat in the morning. It had been in stored for about a year (1/2 yr spread out, vent open. 1/2 yr rolled up in sleeve) after I got this replacement, only used it once in a field in Oregon. Then took it to Europe backpacking, and lasted less than a week. Just threw it away this time. Done with this brand, hate to say. Now I have some blow up one from Denmark an its doin' swell.

Pro:
Comfortable
Thick enough for lying on side
Lightweight

Con:
Not durable
Not wide enough for broad shoulders
88 comments219 of 258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2010
I'm a big guy and I bought the "Long" version of this pad. For years I've slept on foam when I backpack. I can get comfortable about anywhere, so it was never a big deal. This summer I decided to splurge on a new pad and what a difference!

Because I'm heavy, I was afraid that I'd puncture (or even burst) one of this little "blow-up" toys. The "Long" version has an even higher loft at 2", making it more susceptible to failure, but I figured Amazon's guarantees would protect me from whatever failure might occur.

Not only did I not have any failures, but this thing performed admirably. It inflated easily. I did (on occasion) blow a few "extra" puffs into it to firm it up a bit. It took up about as much space as my old foam pad and weighed only a couple of ounces more, but the comfort was incredible. The kids and I even set it along a fallen log and used it as "The Couch" while reading and playing games out in the woods.

I was impressed and I'd buy another one.
0Comment101 of 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
When the mat arrived today I opened it up and tested it out, as I've never owned a hybrid air/foam pad before. It does inflate maybe ~60% by itself, but to make it really nice and puffy you do have to blow air into it. Overall though it took me maybe a minute to inflate it fully. It's narrow, but the regular was a great size for me (I'm 68 inches tall, female) as I could sleep on my stomach with my arm under the pillow and still be entirely on pad. The width didn't really bother me. It was really comfortable considering it's only 1.5 inches thick. I'm not normally someone who does well sleeping on floors, so the fact that I took a 20 minute nap on it on the living room floor gives this mat some points.

Perhaps after I go camping in May, I'll update my review. But for now, I'm impressed at how small it packs and it was reasonably easy to get it back to original size.

**Updated review - I used this for two weeks camping out west. It's decently comfortable, but if you're car camping definitely go for a regular four inch thick blowup mattress. For backpacking, this thing would be great. It's light, it doesn't let the cold from the ground through, dirt and water resistant, and easy to set up and pack away.
11 comment78 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2012
I don't do much camping, but with 3 boys it was time to buy some of my own gear instead of borrowing from friends. I consulted a friend who is a serious camper on what kind of air mattress I should buy. He immediately told to stay away from air mattresses and look at self inflating air pads. He suggested the Thermarest Luxury pad. I was leaning towards that until I saw the Alps for less money, inflates an inch more, and had even better user reviews.

I am about 6'1", so I opted for the XL. I'm glad I did. If you move around in your sleep, I'd suggest going wider. The XL is 30" and I found it to be a good width. 25" would have been too narrow for me. The first time I blew this up at my house to test, it did not inflate to 3 inches. I was a little concerned until I read that it takes up to 30 minutes to inflate the first time. When I took it camping, it inflated much quicker. As for comfort, this thing is really like a regular mattress. It was so much more comfortable than an air mattress and you don't have to worry about it deflating in the middle of the night or hauling along a pump to inflate it. On the floor of my tent, all I had was a rug and then had this on top.

If you're looking for something to backpack with, the XL would be way to big. But, if you're driving your vehicle to the campsite, this is perfect. The only bad thing about this is now my oldest son wants me to buy one for him.
on September 27, 2011
After purchasing some inexpensive convoluted foam pads and attempting to use them during a camping trip, I decided I would have to spend a bit more money to get a good nights sleep. After extensive research I settled on the Regular Size Alps Mountaineering Lightweight Series Self-Inflating Air pad. I have to say that so far I'm pretty impressed with the comfort of this pad. To test the pad I took the pad to my garage and laid down on the concrete floor with the pad. After adjusting the pressure I actually found my concrete floor quite comfortable thanks to this pad.

You will have to manually blow air into the pad the first few times you blow the pad up, but from there on simply open the valve and leave the pad be until you are ready to lay down. Simply close the valve and you are ready to go. The included sack provides adequate protection from dirt/debris and the two elastic straps keep the pad rolled relatively tight. The pad is marginally heavier than the foam pad but packs much smaller. The pad is certainly worth the extra weight when you consider the difference in comfort.

Great pad for the price, and it WILL support you. I'm 5'10" 250lbs and it kept me off of the ground just fine.
33 comments29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse