Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Size: Extra Small|Change

on August 26, 2011
The cover itself appears to be well made; however, I did notice that the Amazon.com sizing chart is incorrect. I believe this is the main reason for some of the less-than-perfect reviews. Below are the true measurements as according to the product packaging:

XS: Fit range: 1000 - 1800 cu in/ 15 - 30 L
20" X 14" x 7.5"

S: Fit Range: 1800 - 2500 cu in/ 30 - 40 L
27" X 16" X 8.5"

M: Fit range: 2500 - 3600 cu in/ 40 - 60 L
28" X 19" X 10"

L: Fit Range 3600 - 6000 cu in/ 60 - 100 L
31.5" X 20" X 11"
44 comments|550 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2011
Extra small is the perfect size to cover the 200 series fastpack from Lowepro. I wanted to make sure my camera gear didn't get wet, if for some reason I got caught in the rain. It neatly folds up into itself, taking up next to no room. Perfect for this application.
on May 4, 2012
As a bike commuter, I ride with a briefcase and large lunch tote on a rear rack held in place with a cargo net. Needless to say, in the rain I need some protection for my bags. I got this rain cover in large hoping it would be big enough and it has worked fine for the past 2+ years. A couple of small holes are starting to develop in places where the corners of my bags rub, but that's to be expected, and as of yet they don't affect performance. I am happy with the bag and the small size it stores into.
on January 13, 2011
I ordered this cover after getting caught in a late fall rain while hiking in the GSMNP. I was dressed properly but my 'pack was not so my sleeping bad got damp. Ordered this in size large to fit my Golite backpack which is about 3,500 ci. The large was a little large but the draw string closure method cinched up nicely. Have hiked in snow and drizzle and my pack stays dry. Quality was very good. Great buy!
on August 6, 2010
This rain cover does the job, i got the Medium for my Gregory tricon 60 pack thats about 4000 cui, it worked great this past weekend in the Uintas when we got dumped on for hours on end. Everything in my pack was bone dry. No complaints here. (however if you pack things on the exterior of your pack make sure to compensate for extra cui when choosing size
on March 19, 2013
I have the Large rain cover for my Mountainsmith Apex 75 bag and it has worked very well. It has an elastic band that you can tighten to make sure that it is securely covering and staying on your bag. Ninety-nine percent of the time it has worked perfectly. The only time I have had the smallest of issues with it is when my bag is packed to the absolute brim. In this case it is a tight fit with the rain cover, but it still has done the job. All in all, I'm very happy with the rain cover, and it has come in handy many times while traveling around Europe during the rainy season (most of the year! haha).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 13, 2011
This seemed like a great little item for a specific purpose - a cheap way to "waterproof" my camera backpack.

I saw similar items (for 3-times the price) at a local sports accessory store but chose the Mountainsmith for a few reasons.. color (Black opposed to Olive, Orange, Red or light Grey that the other brand offered), and price (1/3rd!)

After actually trying it out, I realize it's not the same - it has a few critical issues that keep me from truly "trusting" it.

First, some information about it -

The sizes are VERY large. The "Small" size seemed big enough for a decent sized hiking backpack. The Extra Small size would probably be good for a regular school backpack or small camera backpack. The Extra Small size seems to be hard to come by and often comes at twice the price of the Small size - maybe a demand issue?

It does have a pull-string to tighten it, so even the Small can be made to accommodate smaller sizes if needed (though not the ideal solution).

The entire cover folds up into itself - it has a protective pouch/carrying case which is connected to the cover.

There is a big ugly logo right in the center of the cover (of the company logo and name) printed onto the material. I really didn't care for that design choice and ended up "Sharpie'ing" over it (as any stickers/tape would come off when folded up. The same logo is on the pouch - this is just a personal design choice, you may feel differently.

On to the problems -

The pouch wraps around the backpack, leaving the back (starting where the straps come off the backpack) open - this is a problem for me as this leaves a "V" shape open between your back and the back of the backpack that water will travel down - with the back of the backpack exposed, the water will get in there (this area of the backpack is usually where stuff is placed - in a camera backpack, it's where the lenses, cameras and accessories sit), essentially just protecting the front pockets of the backpack (which are often less important). The other problem being that the cover wraps around the bottom of the backpack (and slightly up the back) which creates an area for water to get into and sit (at the bottom of your backpack) - the "other" brand seen in stores had little eyelets to release water, this one doesn't. If water gets in, it will sit there.

So I find this useful for LIGHT protection - maybe a sprinkling or short period in the rain (running to the car), but I wouldn't trust walking around for lengthy periods with this protecting expensive equipment. For LIGHT protection (sprinkling and in areas where rain is infrequent (like California) it's better than nothing and the price is right. For anything more, I'd pass.
22 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2015
It was perfect except...My Ebags TLS Workstation Laptop backpack measures 18.5" tall x 13.5" wide x 11" thick and the "S" small swamped my "large" commuting backpack to the point there was so much excess material, I returned it and received the XS and it's a tad tight, but a much better fit and it will keep my fabulous bag dry!
on July 18, 2015
I bought the medium size for my Sierra Designs Revival pack. It's a 65 liter/3,950 cu in pack. The medium rain cover fits it quite well. I read a few of the other reviews and one of them specifically mentioned how this rain cover can only cover the top of the pack up to your shoulder harnesses and if it's really raining hard you can get water down your back and possibly through your pack. Depending on your pack, this is possible. However, keep in mind that Mountainsmith is making a rain cover to apply to many types of packs/situations. The only rain packs I have seen which cover the packs exceptionally well are when they are designed and sold by the pack manufacturer and are model-specific. I don't even know how common that is at this point in time but when I have seen them they covered very well b/c they were customized to the pack. If you need some, albeit no perfect, rain protection this cover is as good as any out there in my opinion. If, when you try this cover out on your pack, you find that there will be a gap for heavy rain to penetrate and possibly get your gear wet, you may have to plan on having extra covered such as a tarp or a poncho you can drape over your back while wearing.
on February 14, 2016
A waterproof backpack cover that is actually waterproof? Eureka!! I purchased this raincover to cover my backpack as I was hiking around the rainforests and cloud forests of Ecuador. It rained virtually every day, sometimes quite heavy, and my backpack never got wet. I bought the small size which was still a little large for the small daypack I was carrying, but because it is adjustable with a pull cord, I was able to pull it tightly enough to snug to the backpack and still be effective in keeping the rain out. Because it was a little big, it also fits my larger overnight pack. Yaya -- I get the benefit of two covers without having to buy a second one. I enthusiastically endorse this rain cover.