5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! This is a small bag!
Published on May 18, 2010 by E Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars nice small bag, but falls short in big ways
The bag is decent for what I need, can carry a notebook, my acer timeline-X and a good sized text book. At about a foot wide it great.

Where it falls short:

The bottle net on the side is pointless, you couldn't get a 12 oz soda can in there.

Published on July 3, 2012 by Rob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! This is a small bag!, May 18, 2010
E Morris (Hammondsport, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I had to return this bag because I was looking for a messenger bag. One that could hold books and possibly a computer. THIS IS NOT IT! This bag is the size of a purse. Perhaps, it was my fault for not scrutinizing the specifications; therefore, I felt that giving it a low rating for my mistake was wrong. Also, the bag looked as though it was very sturdy, and it's nice to know companies are becoming more sustainable. I wanted to warn others of my mistake to save them the hassle. If you're looking for a larger bag, I decided to purchase the Extra Large recycled tire bag. EXCELLENT BAG!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I have been looking for!, October 13, 2010
I have been looking for a small messenger bag for over 6 months and finally I have the one that fits me! I am not a purse carrying kind of person but needed more space when I got married (his keys, his wallet, his phone, camera, etc etc). I like to have my hands free and did not want to mess with a shoulder bag. This bag is perfect - lots of organization, a place for my sunglasses, straps that don't twist and bunch, small, durable and recycled. One day I may have an iPad or something similar - it will then also be the perfect computer bag ;) Love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars nice small bag, but falls short in big ways, July 3, 2012

Where it falls short:

The one buckle...they cheaped out with their own flimsy, extremely thin & difficult buckle rather than use a tried and true 1/2" side release buckle

The shoulder strap cannot be shortened less than a meter. which is ridiculously long if you plan on biking with this bag. and again they put cheap flimsy plastic clips on each end with plastic thinner than a nickle.

The Handle...they used a thin ribbon to make it with a single stitch on either end not the appropriate x-box stitch for webbing

The pockets and slots for pens and stuff are against the back wall of the bag, the side that's gonna jab into your back while carrying it... genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sized Bag!, September 14, 2011
------- UPDATE--------

I've had this bag for 10 months now. It's been the best Amazon purchase yet. This bag has held up with no problems, and we've put it through the ringer. It's been yanked, pulled, snatched, dragged in every possible way. The velcro, which was one of my concerns, works great and showing no signs of pilling. I've had no issues with stitching coming loose. The only small thing is some of the rubber padding on the shoulder strap is showing wear. All of my pockets,zippers and pouches are in great condition. I'd purchase this bag again in a heartbeat! Water bottle holder works great for travel sized tissues. I do find it annoying that I can't stick an actual bottle in the pocket designed to hold bottles. The strap across my chest, I've gotten use to. Overall - it's a wonderful product that seems to be holding up with out any signs of me needing to replace it anytime soon. I have washed the bag in cold water - hung dry, and it took the washing perfectly.
------------------------

I purchased this bag relying heavily on other's comments. I was worried about the size of the bag, but the comments on what they were able to fit helped. (If you read some of the other comments, I agree with the waterbottle holder being too small for a practical sized bottle.)

I wanted to switch my purse for something more pratical. I have a toddler with special needs and I need to be able to have breathing treatment and g-tube supplies on me at all times. Not to mention the spare diaper, sippy cup and whatever my daughter and husband ask me to carry. I can fit my kindle too, but it's a tight fit with everything else.

My purse ended up ripping under the pressure. This bag has great comparments so my toddler has his own section, and I have mine. I love this aspect! I can grab my wallet with out having to dig around for it. It also is great when my toddler dashes and I don't have to worry about the contents of my purse tumbling out as I try and scoop him up. The bag has sturdy velcro that holds the flap down, along with a semi-useless buckle. I have a slight concern of the velcro pilling and not sticking as well as it does now. I clip my keys on the outside along with my hand sanatizer. Everything I could want.

I can take out my wallet, readjust the strap and let my husband take the bag if he has our son. The bag I choose is gender nuetral(Charcoal).

The only reason why I didn't give it five stars is because the shoulder cushion isn't moveable. It's very cushy, and nice don't get me wrong. But if I throw the bag so it's behind me then the strap is thick and bulky going across my chest. It would be nice if it slid over so the cushion was still on my shoulder or out of the way all together.

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love it!!!, June 23, 2012
I just purchased this bag a month ago for my busy life style with kids. I need to have my hands free with 2 busy boys. I can't worry about my purse falling off my shoulder. This allows me to put everything in it including a small synch bag for diaper necessities. I can put my day timer, small tablet(7 in), the small diaper bag and still have room for some snacks for my toddler. I recently took this with us to the zoo and I loved it. I didn't have to be the overloaded mom with several bags and was able to have all the essentials in one bag! The quality is good and it survives the Seattle rain and spit up nicely. I like the velcro and the buckle closure. The velcro makes sure it closes when I don't have the hands to close it right away and the buckle works with one hand. I have been looking for a long time for a purse/bag that was just the right size for all of my needs and not too big or small. The strap is adjustable to my size. It has the set shoulder pad but you can adjust the straps so it is in the position you want. I have purchased several other bags from this brand and they have held up through time and abuse. I would recommend this to anyone with an active lifestyle or on the go. Great for traveling and busy moms that don't want to look like they are carrying a diaper bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bag for storing items for a day trip., April 11, 2010
This review is from: Mountainsmith Messenger Bag Recycled (Apparel)
Very nice bag, plenty of room, strap stays on shoulder. wanted a different color but this does just fine. Carries water bottles, snack bars and ID information for day trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but worth the money, May 10, 2011
I only have the use of my right arm so carrying books,etc. are kind of a problem. I didn't want a "man purse", I'm too close to red neck for that. And the usual messenger bag was way too big for what I needed. This one is smaller & fills the bill perfectly. I can carry my Kindle,compact binoculars, camera, Magazines, note papers,cap, whatever. There are compartments inside & out. Most are zippered.
This bag is styled like back-pack stuff so I don't feel odd carrying it around. It's very well made & ought to last me a long time. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the water bottle holder is too tight for the usual 16 oz. bottle. It'll fit but not without a struggle. It should be easier to slip in & out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made product, August 2, 2013
I'm going with 3 stars only because the picture that i'm seeing now is slightly different from the bag i received. My bag has a tapered front flap with the closure on the far right of the bag instead of in the center as shown in more recent pictures. I wish I had the full flap instead of tapered with 2 closures to be honest. Other then that the bag had been great. It's very durable. I believe in recycling so the fact that this made from recycled bottles is great. I can fit a standard 10 inch Toshiba tablet in it with a bit of a squeeze in the inside protected pocket area with a case on it. If i took the case off it would be an easy fit. I have not had the issue with the side water bottle at all. It has been plenty adequate for a 20oz. bottle of anything i've put in there and also handles my standard size travel coffee mug with ease. All in all i'm very satisfied with the bag. I have recently developed health problems that required me to get something to carry my wallet, keys, and other items in and this bag has been perfect. I have loaded to the point I could not stuff another thing into it and had it staining against it's seams and nothing failed. My typical items in the bag are my wallet, two cell phones (work and personal), occasionlly my tablet, two sets of keys, change, a multi-tool, a spare zagg sparq phone charger for the phones, a book, and assorted other small items.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice bag but could be better, July 26, 2013
I find the bag to be to the high quality I expect of all Mountainsmith products. I have several other backpacks and love them. There is nothing specific about the bag to say .. if only .. but yet using the bag for a month now if feels smaller than desired. Yet when you use it there is more than enough room for my stuff (tablets, cables, lunch, papers, keys, and so on).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for What I Need, June 27, 2013
I had been looking for a messenger bag that was not huge or heavy. When I saw this bag on Amazon, I first checked out what it's dimensions were and what it weighed. I had a 7" Nook that I wanted to fit in a main compartment. From the other reviews, I determined that this bag also had a number of other compartments that were zippered or had velcro closures. When I received it, I found it to be very lightweight, made of flexible recycled plastic cloth. The plastic cloth fiber it is made from is very sturdy and appears to be easy to clean.

My Nook fit in the main compartment perfectly! There was an outside zippered pocket perfect for my wallet, coin purse, and my handicapped permit. Instead of using the mesh holder on the outside to hold a water bottle, I use it to hold the bubble gum that I carry for dry mouth. At the other end of the bag, I use the zippered, outside pocket to hold my cell phone. Inside, there is a zippered pocket to hold the business and rewards cards I carry. There's a place for my Leatherman tool, my Swiss army knife, and writing pens. There's room for a note pad and in one larger zippered compartment, a clip to hold keys. There is a very large velcro closed compartment that extends the length of the bag. A small pocket is also on the back of the bag, handy to stuff in a receipt or change quickly. At the top of the bag is a small handle, for quick pickup. I like the padded adjustable shoulder strap and the security it gives me when carrying my valuables. The top that folds over the main pockets, is held in place snug with velcro fastenings. In addition, there is an outside quick release buckle. When I bought my new larger 9" Nook, I found to my delight that it also fit in the main inside pocket even with a protective cover!

I like this bag because even when carrying something heavy, you don't notice the weight because of the across the body shoulder strap. I don't like purses and this doesn't look like a purse! The only two things I don't like are the buckle on the outer flap and the fact that the bag has no rigidity. The buckle is hard to get open even though it's a quick release. And the bag's pockets don't have any stiffness making it hard sometimes to shove something in quickly without laying the bag on a flat surface.

All in all, I LOVE my new messenger bag!! Would I buy it again? Definitely YES!! It's one of the best purchases I've made, even though it is pricey. It's a well-made, sturdy and very useful bag.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›