Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on May 26, 2011
At first glance this is a pretty cool storage unit intended for travel. The problem I had is that the totes lack structure - so when you put stuff in the totes they take on the shape of their contents making the total carrier somewhat useless. They also don't protect their contents.

Finally, the coating on the inside of the totes has started to peel and make a mess after less than a year of owning them. I'd been storing clothes in them, and now the clothes are covered in white plastic - so they're not even very useful for that! I'm not very happy with this purchase.

Update - I noticed Natalie's 'review' suggesting that I must have abused this product. I assure you that's not the case. The totes that delaminated and shed white plastic on my clothes were sitting in a closet and not subject to any abuse at all. It's possible that it was a bad batch from Mountainsmith, but these were barely used - let alone abused.

I find it a little suspicious that this is Natalie's only review - and that she didn't purchase this product on Amazon. Looks like a paid review to me - just saying.
on June 5, 2010
For the reason I purchased the item, it is effective. We use it to transport items when camping. I would prefer if it had a top zipper closure because it gets cumbersome and not so user friendly. Its pluses is that it does hold a lot of items. I like the different colors in that when we go camping, I can separate items according to their use. The clear slot on the top allows you to label the contents of each bag so you don't have to dig wondering what the contents are. What I don't like is when acutal transport occurs, it is hard to maneuver and move about especially if only one person is doing the transporting. I will not buy another, I will just try to make this one work. there was supposed to be a shoulder strap which was not included and trying to get it has been a hassle. So I would not recommend this product unless it will be for stationery storage and not actually moving about and traveling storage.
on June 11, 2013
My boyfriend and I are obsessed with this travel storage!! We use it for our camping gear and it makes camping so much easier!! Now our camping equipment is packed up and ready to go at all times; so we can just leave to go camping after work!

It fits perfectly in the back of the car and is easy to carry around.

When camping - it is so much easier to find what we are looking for - and it's also great because you can leave it out at night and not worry if it gets rained on or anything. I'm not quite sure what we did before this!

I'm even debating to buy another one for garage storage.
on November 26, 2013
The build quality is great but the whole thing is so floppy that it is hard to get things in and out without the sides of the bags and the whole unit collapsing. Once it is full, it is a great way to pack and move tons of stuff. Otherwise, it could use some singificant improvement in the rigidity of each cube and the carrier.
on September 21, 2012
We first saw the Mountainsmith Modular Hauler in the trunk of a friend's car while on a neighborhood vacation with them, and right away thought, "This makes perfect sense. Why has no one done this before?"

The system consists of four individual modules (cubes) that all load into one large container. With four people in our family, this was a no-brainer: one cube per person, and because the cubes are different colors, no confusion over whose bag is whose. No more loading four different sized and shaped pieces of luggage haphazardly into the back of the car. No more sharing of one or two larger bags with everyone's stuff getting mixed together. Simple. Brilliant. Efficient.

The material of the cubes and larger outer container is durable, with sturdy zippers. The cubes each have a single handle, while the outer container has a double handle in case you'd like to carry all the cubes together at once. Both the cubes and the outer container have attachment points for a shoulder strap (not included.)
This system is perfect for car trips, and I suspect it would do nicely for air travel as well (though we have yet to try that out.) We are all one-bag travelers, and big on efficiency and not over-packing, so this is perfect for us. If you're not a one-bag traveler . . . well, you should be.

And if you have fewer than four people in your family, you get a bit of extra space to spare. I believe Mountainsmith also sells a dog cube . . . a single container for use by your pup. How awesome is that? Regardless, the system is versatile and just makes good sense.

The modular hauler is a brilliant idea whose time has come.
on March 4, 2013
My husband got me this bag for my birthday 9 months ago and it gets quite a bit of use. I assign/label a module for myself, my son, my daughter, and one for misc kid stuff like diapers and wipes. I love how it keeps me organized and makes things easy to find. I highly recommend it and just purchased one as a gift.
on December 20, 2011
I've had a set of five cubes for probably seven or eight years (I bought a four system with a bonus cube) and use it constantly. Of course you can't expect to pack really heavy items like cooking gear or anything sharp that would damage the bags, but they work super for other things. If you need something to pad or protect your gear, then you should get hard sided storage.

This is a great system for organizing clothes, hiking gear, food, etc. When I'm staying at a campground it is really useful for hauling shower gear, towels, and a change of clothes up to the bathroom. I use the cubes for day hikes, car camping, organizing for backpacking, corralling gear and extra clothes for skiing, etc. For long family car trips, we each take a cube for personal items to keep clutter down on in the vehicle - then use one for snacks and one for miscellaneous stuff like charges, cords, papers, maps, etc. I've wiped them down too many times to count, and frequently toss them in a the washer on a gentle cycle with no ill effects (just don't use the dryer or you'll damage the fabric). It seems like you would have to subject them to an awful lot of abuse to have them peeling and falling apart within a year. Mine still look great.
on August 8, 2013
this just arrived yesterday and I immediately took it out of the box and started packing it. it is going to be my go to camp kitchen. I stuffed that sucker and still have tons of room and can carry it with ease.I read other reviews about the sturdiness of it and decided I didn't really care I had been shopping around looking for the perfect bag (totes drive me crazy) and I think i found it in this hauler. I don't think I would have paid more money for extra support.
on July 7, 2012
If the bags had rigid sides and stood up on their own, I would give these 5 stars. But the soft sides make them a real pain... and renders the larger tote bag useless.
on September 1, 2015
It is a great idea in theory but in the picture it looks sturdy and it stands up and looks great. There is no structure to it. No hard sides so when there isn't much in it, the thing just flops over. Gonna build some thin particle board inserts to help it stay up when in my car to give it some structure. I just wanted to keep it in my hatchback area to keep the back organized.