Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent (Citron Green)
Price:$159.97 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
I recently started backpacking again after a brief hiatus (3 kids) and realized I needed to update some of my gear. One piece of which was to replace my 22 year old Moss two person 4 season tent (12 lbs). I narrowed my selection down to 4 tent brands (Big Agnes, Sierra Design, MSR and REI) based on size, weight and price. I came across the Morrison tent as a suggested option from Amazon and the sale price caught my eye. I have bought Mountainsmith gear in the past and always liked their quality. Looking at online reviews (found about 40-50, Backpacker Magazine called it the "killer deal for 2011"), most people were very positive about it. Photos and specs gave the impression that it was constructed equivalent to other brands and wasn't a bargain basement, off-brand, big box store cheapo tent. The tent comes in at 4 lb 11 oz, which is about 3/4 lb more than the Big Agnes Copper Spur ($400-$500) and a little less than a half pound more than the REI Quarter Dome ($190) and Sierra Design HT ($279).

I have always had a discriminating taste for outdoor gear (paid $500+ for Moss tent in 92) and most of my buddies don't spare the expense either. So, upon arriving I opened the tent and was still impressed by the quality of the fabric and construction. The tent has two doors and with the fly on it has two vestibules. The tent has a lot of mesh to allow for good airflow on hot nights. However, there is a layer of fabric behind the mesh on both doors. I am not sure why the included it because the fabric and zippers together probably weigh 4-8 oz. I spoke to Mountainsmith and they said the fabric was not structural and could be removed (I am considering). Overall the tent is easy to assemble and has color coded poles to speed up assembly. The tent also uses clips to attach the poles which will help airflow on warm nights. The footprint of the tent is also a whopping 56" x 92" compared to the Copper Spur (52x90), Quarter Dome (52 x 85) and the SD H2 (50 x 83). Other tents of comparable sized footprints made my MSR, Mountain Hardwear, North Face and Big Agnes were much heavier (+5lbs) than this tent. I expect to strictly use this as a two person tent for backpacking and splitting up the gear to ease the weight. Although heavier than some of its competitors, you cannot match the quality, size and price of this tent.

I finally had this tent out in a massive thunderstorm that blew up and dumped 1-2 inches of rain in 1 hour. I was at a shelter away from the camp when it hit. Apparently a 2-3 inch sheet flow of rain went right to the tent (I believe it based on the debris) and stayed around it for the entire hour. Everyone at camp that saw it thought there would be 2 inches of water inside. When I got back to camp and saw the debris and heard the story I knew my gear would be soaked. However, I was completely surprised and pleased to see it was bone dry. There was some splash up on the sidewalls (It seriously rained like crazy), but it did not affect the inside. I think if I had cranked down the fly a little more it would not have been a problem.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
Being 6'5", it is often difficult to find a lightweight tent that is long enough for my frame--this tent delivers! The description suggests users up to 7' tall--but I think anyone over 6'8" or so would have their head/feet pressed to one end or the other.

Amazingly easy to set up--colour-coding and instructions on the bag--brilliant. Seams appear well sewn and the fly covers well while keeping rain and wind out. The included guy lines would be a useful tool in extreme weather, but I found the tent very stable even in high winds.

On the negative end: The vestibule size is VERY limited I found...I would have liked to see a larger fly to increase vestibule storage area. There is one on each side of the tent (at each door) and likely enough room for a single pack on each side...but barely. Entry and exit from the tent proved difficult with the fly on...but perhaps those with a smaller stature would not experience this negative?

Overall this tent is excellent, and at the current retail price...it's amazing. You can't find a better tent for the money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2013
I just finished a 6 week camping trip that took me to every state west of Iowa. I toured the National Parks. Here's my review.

1) Cold-The lowest temperature at night was 28 degrees. This tent sleeps approx. 15 degrees warmer then the outside temp. When I packed up the tent I was surprised how much frost was on the inside of the fly. I slept very comfortable. Yes, I packed up the tent wet and did repeatedly over my trip. By the way, this tent weights a ton when wet.

2) Rain-My first go of rain was in Washington at Olympic NP. It rained for about 3 days. The tent stayed dry but I ended up packing up and leaving because I'd never had a tent say dry for longer. The real test was at Guadalupe NP and the general area. It rained for 7 days and not just sprinkling. The first thing that started to leak were the air vents on the fly. Only about a tablespoon came in but when it's dripping on your head it's a little uncomfortable. For the first time, when I packed up my air mattress I notice water under it. Keep in mind this is after using it for a sold 5 weeks. It was put up and down at least 3 times a week as I moved from park to park. As far as I'm concerned, this tent is amazingly dry! Once the vents started leaking I sprayed them with a sealant otherwise nothing was used. I have not camped in the rain since I found water under my air mattress thank goodness it was dry camping after that. One last thing on rain. The fly is waterproof not the tent. If you leave open the vestibule doors and it rains you will have a wet tent. The doors are not waterproof.

3) Heat/Sand- As I mentioned above this tent sleeps about 15 degrees warmer. Now image it is 106 out. While at Zion NP I had a real problem. The first night I woke to sand everywhere in the tent. Didn't realize they had sandstorms every night. No matter how much I closed up the tent, turned it, moved things in front of it I could not keep the sand from blowing into the tent. I'm not talking about tracking it in, I really mean it blowing in through the screen. The tent would be fine in 106 degree weather if you could remove the fly but with the sand issue that was not an option. This tent is not ideal in hot weather. If there is any chance of rain you need to make sure the vestibule doors are closed or you will get wet. Once the doors are closed the air flow is almost nonexistent. If it's a hot dry day you can open the doors and or remove the fly and you will be fine.

4)Stakes-when I first researched this tent some individuals were concerned about the stake quality. When I first looked at them I agreed, so I purchased 4 big Coleman stakes and used the others for the rest. The stakes are great. After pulling them up and pounding them in so many times I have no issues with there durability. But wow, do they hurt when you walk into one and I walked into the ones opening the vestibule many times. Finally I started putting something where the stake was so I would quit hitting it. I tried using the Coleman stakes in the vestibule opening but they don't operate the same. The vestibule doors need to be held tight and to the ground or else they hit against the tent and the condensation will seep through the doors. Maybe it's just me but this tent has a lot of condensation on the inside of the fly each morning.

5) Vestibule- Nice but only good enough for a pair of boots or shoes. I would never keep my backpack in the vestibule it would be crawling with bugs by morning.

6) Wind-This tent has no wind issues. If you think there is going to be wind or rain just make sure you use all the lines and Velcro, they really do make a difference.

7) Size- I camped alone and am only a little over 5 feet. This had plenty of room for me and my stuff but that really doesn't help anyone that might have two people.

Overall-this is the best tent I have ever owned and the best piece of equipment I had on my trip. I would buy this again in a heartbeat!
on July 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am an avid hiker and a self professed gear hound so needless to say I have owned a few tents. Usually I always go with Sierra Designs models but after the new update in design to a 3 pole system I chose to stray. I detest the new hubs and figure one more piece is one more piece to fail or lose. I love the simplicity of a 2 pole system (older Meteor Light, lightening, Reverse Combi). I chose this tent due to MS's time in the business and own a few of their packs. As far a quality materials and attention to detail the Morrison beat most others hands down. Reflective guylines and zipper pulls, stakes are very good aluminium "V" stakes and not the typical aluminum or steel "nail" stake, canopy and fly fabric feels fantastic. Set up from Amazon box to finished took me just a little over 5 minutes but only 2.5 minutes the next time. Lifetime warranty! Under 5 lbs and 35 sq ft! All for $120.00 with free 2 day shipping! You would easily pay upwards of $400 for all the bells and whistles this tent has from someone else. After much scrutiny I can't find a single flaw in this tent.
on November 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
My first concern when I purchased this tent was the color, Citrus green?? I seen the blue tent offered by Mountainsmith, it stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl! The Citrus green actually does blend well with a green environment. The most impressive feature to me, is the ability for one person to put this tent up in 2 minutes the first try!! The aluminum poles are sturdy & of nice quality. The tent stakes are a perfect design, small, light weight and shaped into a "V" shape with hooks at the top to catch your guy lines or tie down straps. Zippers are of good quality as well, just think since they color coded the poles, they should have color coded the zippers to distinguish the window panels on door from the door zippers. It can be confusing to you at a 3 a.m. pit stop- when your half awake! Another reviewer commented on the "extra" material on the doors. I like this feature, not only do you have a window feel, it helps to regulate the temperature inside during 3 season use. It would be a nice feature if the fabric did zip all the way off for full view or for summer camping, so you can take it or leave it. Another complaint was made about the guy lines being too high up, I have no problem with that at all, it kept the distance between the fly and tent equal for better circulation.

I tested this tent in 55 degree temps. on a clear night. The gear vestibules are very small width enough for some boots, when I stuck my pack under it, it gets wet from the condensation on the tent material. I will upload some photo's to add to the other review. As for the inside, I'm 5'6 and tested it singly, plenty of room, a hikers palace! I love the new longer length no more head or feet touching the tent! The corner gear hammocks held my flashlight and smaller odds and ends. The top hammock was a great idea, but a little hard to use with a light installed. I used a Coleman mini lantern until I kept smacking it with my head, then switched to a round flat led saucer light w/ 24 led's, no more smacking it but hard to use gear loft. Tent was very sturdy, excellent ventilation!!!! The two vents on each door stay open, the two vents on each side of rain fly can open or close and they do work. Between the rain fly, fabric on doors and open or closing of the vestibules you have alot of control over the inside temps. and air flow, this is a great design! I really like this tent, it's top quality with a weight of 4lbs 12 ounces, which you can cut down a little by combining stuff into one bag. It does NOT come with a footprint. You can purchase one but my suggestion is some house wrap, like Tyvek or whatever brand you like, it's light weight easy to carry, as small as an emergency blanket. It's extremely durable & cheap!

Pros:
weight
set up
size
full length fly
quality stakes

Cons:
small vestibules

UPDATE: camped out again, ended up in heavy rainfall & windy conditions. This amazing little tent held up great! A small amount of water made it inside, probably thru the vents at bottom of windows/doors. But minor! I was quite impressed as the wind was kinda freaking me out, thought it would become air born but did a great job!! I am glad I did use a Kiwi water proofing on rainfly, it helped keep it from getting totally soaked thru. It does ok without it but much better with it! Stakes have to be replaced- 2 bent & 1 broke, bummer! Also company says a footprint will be available at end of January- can't wait!

NEW UPDATE ON FOOTPRINT: Now for sale on Amazon!!

purchased the expensive Big Agnus flycreek UL2, the morrison still wins! The flycreek is much lighter but you give up too much, space, only 1 door, taped foot area, it's in my emergency pack. The morrison is still my top go to for comfort, ease of use and overall not too heavy!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on August 5, 2014
Where to start... This is the best tent I have ever owned and it only cost me $132. I did extensive research before purchasing and I was prepared to spend a lot more to get not much more and in some regards, less. This tent is not only the absolute best in its price range, it outperforms other tents twice the price. I am very happy with my purchase, it is incredibly easy to set up, it has plenty of room for 2 adults, and its loaded with features.
Pros:
Bathtub style floor (very good for keeping water out!)

The vents on top are a godsend, I don't know if you have ever put on a rainfly with no vents, but the tent essentially turns into a great big garbage bag. As you can imagine, moisture starts building up on the walls and just everything feels wet, even if no water got in the tent.

The color is great

The 2 doors are again, amazing! They are huge wide doors that are incredibly easy to get into. It not only sucks to get out of your sleeping bag in the middle of the night to go pee, but it sucks crawling over someone else and waking them up to get out. I can't express how amazing it is to have 2 doors, and 2 separate vestibules to store your own packs in.

The ease of setup is unbelievable, I have had and set up an absurd number of tents in my life, and never has a setup been so simple and quick. Everything is color coded! I can easily set it up myself, without any help from anyone else. And I never questioned anything while setting it up, like "was that right?" It was so simple and straightforward that I didn't have to wonder if I was doing something correctly or not. I also didn't need any directions and unlike some tents I have set up in the past where you are completely lost without the instructions, which are usually printed on a piece of paper, lost in your basement somewhere. Mountainsmith had the presence of mind to print the instructions on the bag, so you can't possibly lose them.

The zippers are very nice YKK zippers. Its such a pain when zippers are low quality and get hung up on everything, I can easily operate any of these zippers with one hand and it won't get snagged on anything. Its especially a pain when you have your hands full and you need to get into the tent, but you have to put everything down to use two hands to get the zipper to go.

The gear loft, with the split in the center for hanging a lantern/light. Gear lofts are amazing, especially in a 2 person tent with more limited space. They give you a place to throw things you need to access and don't want to go digging through your backpack for. I have had gear lofts in other tents, but never have I seen the split design to allow for the hanging of a light, its genius! It essentially forms 2 pockets on each side, and has a split in the center between them. This allows for hanging a lantern in the tent, which is really nice to have hands free area light when moving around and spending any time in the tent. I went with the Hozuki mini lantern. It's a little bit pricey, but the battery life is great and it puts off a lot of light. (or a little if thats what you're after)

The pockets in the 2 opposite corners are great too! The pockets being placed in the corners allows for more rigidity and stability when placing heavier things in them. I have had tents with pockets in the center of the wall and it pulls the wall way in if you put anything with any sort of weight to it in there. Needless to say, this is another amazing feature and it just has so much functionality.

Reflective thread in the guy lines. I have tripped on more than my fair share of guy lines at night, and this is greatly appreciated so I don't have to trip on them and night and pull the stakes out and almost fall flat on my face.

Keep in mind all of these features did not have to be included, especially at this price, but it is evident that Mountainsmith is dedicated to offering the most they can in this package for the price.

Cons:
(I really had to think hard and be really critical to come up with any)
Didn't come with a footprint. (Not absolutely necessary) for those that don't know what a footprint is, it is the piece of fabric that goes inbetween the tent and the ground in order to further protect you from the elements and extend the lifespan of the tent. If you do get one, I would recommend getting the Mountainsmith one. It is important to have a proper fitting footprint because otherwise it will hurt more than it will help.

The right tension is somewhat difficult to acheive with the guy lines on the side walls. You have to stake it pretty far out, and its not really bad, its just not as easy as the rest of the tent setup is.

Other notes that I think you will find important with the 2013/14 model of this tent:
The vestibule size was increased in 2013 and it definitely allows enough room for my pack, unlike other reviews have complained.
The little vent you see in the picture that is at the bottom of the door, no longer exists. I read reviews of people complaining about rain making it through them sometimes, so Mountainsmith got rid of them.

It is obvious that Mountainsmith cares what people think about this tent, otherwise they wouldn't keep updating it to make it the most flawless 2 person tent on the market for under $150.

One more note: I did end up purchasing the footprint and its a good addition to help protect the life of my tent. I was able to roll up the footprint with the tent, and it still fit in the tent bag, so that's a major plus!

Please comment if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them, I ordered this tent in April of 2013 from Amazon and I received the most updated version of this tent. I was afraid I might receive an older stock of a 2012 model or something, but I was happy they have pushed all those out by now!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
Used this tent over the weekend on an overnight float trip on the Allegheny River in Pennsylvania. It was easy to assemble and tear down -- less than five minutes... It was very comfortable sleeping two people and miscellaneous gear. It withstood a five-hour rainstorm with no issues. There was no condensation inside the tent and the ventillation was tremendous. It wasn't stuffy at all despite the damp conditions outside. The two doors are a bonus. It is easy to carry and pack, and is very lightweight. I plan on taking it to Yellowstone later this summer... Great tent for the money.
on June 12, 2013
The Morrison 2 person 3 season tent offers a lot of features for a great price. The trade-off for this value is the tent runs a bit heavy compared to other backpacking tents.

Likes:
+ Extremely quick and easy setup. Literally 5 minutes or less to go from bag to moving your gear in. Tear down is nearly as fast depending on how skilled you are at getting it rolled up and back into the bag.
+ Ventilation. I especially like the inner lining on the doors that allow you to unzip the solid nylon and leave mesh 'windows' in place. Keeps bugs out and lets cool breezes in.
+ Rainfly. It fits the tent like a proper fly should. Very snug once you stake and guy it out. The collapsible vents help with airflow to keep the tent walls condensation free.
+ Stability and durability. Had this tent on the summit of a mountain in 30+mph winds. Several times the walls seemed on the verge of collapsing but the tent held up wonderfully. I'd feel confident using this tent in all but the harshest conditions.
+ Included gear loft and mesh storage pockets inside the tent. The gear loft is usually a separate add-on for most tents. Having it included here is a nice touch from Mountainsmith. The side mesh pockets are a well thought out design that leaves you with three different sized pockets in opposing corners of the tent.

Dislikes:
- A bit on the heavy side. Could cut some weight out by leaving the fly behind and only bringing 4-6 stakes. But you'll still be hauling close to 5lbs of tent.
- Included aluminum stakes. Its not that they are bad, but they aren't that great either. These WILL bend if being hammered into hard ground. They do grip well once you get them in at least.
- Needs more stakes. Only 6 stakes come with this tent. That enough to stake all four corners and the two guy lines, but leaves nothing for your rain fly. Or vice-versa, stake your rain fly and leave nothing for your guy lines. Factor in the tendency for these to bend in hard ground and you'll be looking for replacements sooner rather than later.

Conclusion:
If your a beginner backpacker, or just on a budget you would have a hard time finding a tent with the same kinds of features for anywhere near this price. I'd recommend this as a great entry level tent for backpacking. As you go out more often you will probably start looking at lighter tents. The Morrison though would still remain an ideal backup tent, or tent for use during car camping trips or to pass on to family members.
on December 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I can't say enough good things about this tent. It's size and quality are fantastic. The value is unbeatable. It's way more than I expected from a $130 dollar tent, when most of the competitors I was looking at were in the $400-$500 range. I'm so glad I didn't spend that much. This tent is awesome, and I love spending nights in it. I've been over 10 nights out in it now, and I'm really happy with it. It has vents in the rain fly, which keep out rain but allow air to circulate. The rainfly is really, really, waterproof. The bottom is reinforced, and is incredibly waterproof. One of my nights out in this tent was a real Oahu downpour, where I had a few inches of water outside my tent-- the inside stayed totally dry. See my product photos for an image from that night-- inches of water outside my tent, my shoes trying to float away, dry on the inside. Pretty amazing.

The inside is really roomy. In this tent it's always just been me, but it would fit another person comfortably. The vestibules are large, giving a good place to stow your gear. The seams are solid. There are two nice, large doors. Its really, really, easy to set up. I regularly set it up in the dark, and it takes me about five minutes. There are two poles that set up in an x-fashion. The tent comes with stakes, but they're not that great; plan on buying replacements eventually.

There are plastic clips to fasten the frame. They're made of really high quality plastic and seem like they'll last a long time. There are fasteners for a net in the top of the tent, and also to fasten back the doors and rain fly doors. They're in convenient locations.

The tent weights about five pounds so it's a little much for ounce-counters, and not really ideal for backpacking. But for short-distance backpacking or car camping, it's really great.
review image
on August 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
Recently took this on a 35-mile backpacking trip on Mt. Rainier's Wonderland Trail. It's the only backpacking tent I have and I didn't find carrying both the tent body and poles on my own to be too heavy (I'm a woman, if that matters). Sleeping space is nice and long and the dual vestibules each have enough room for a whole pack and extra gear to keep dry. Not having to have a footprint was nice and the tent kept me and my stuff bone dry through a freak thunderstorm on the mountain.

Very easy color-coordinated setup and I set it up alone each time without issue. Rain fly snaps in using plastic buckles and like I said, does the job keeping things dry. I put the tent in a compression sack and carried the poles externally on my pack and this worked pretty well over a 4-night backpacking trip.

On this most recent trip, the zipper on one side in the rain fly ripped at the top when I sat down in the tent a little too hard. It's an easy fix for someone with a sewing machine so I'm not too worried but I thought I would point out a potential issue.

Overall a great tent that I'm looking forward to having more adventures with!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...