Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 14, 2012
After seeing the rave reviews this product received, and the ingenious placement of putting the mount in the CD slot, I ordered it immediately. However, I failed to realize that due to the placement of my radio's volume/power control (dead center and directly underneath the CD tray) that this wasn't going to work. I went to the company's website to leave feedback and in the product description I realized that I could also use this in any dashboard grooves! Seeing this, I went back to my car and wedged in the groove between the A/C vents and center console. This solution worked perfectly! I'm extremely happy with my purchase decision; it really does seem like there isn't a setup that this won't work for.
review image
on July 26, 2011
This mount caught my eye because it wasn't a windshield/dash/vent/cupholder mount like most of the other non-permanent phone mounts, and it came up in searches for "HTC EVO Shift Car Mount". I like the idea, since the CD slot has gone the way of the cassette deck with MP3s, so it's a good use of space. Would have given more stars, except I bought this for an HTC EVO Shift, and when seated in the holder, the phone's power port is blocked by the "arms" of this holder, so you can't keep it plugged in when it needs it most (GPS is the soul-sucker of phone battery life). Also, the arms of the holder cover the volume buttons, and if tightened to snug, will press on the 'down' volume button (adjusting the volume all the way down). I'll likely use a Dremel tool to carve out a niche for both, but just a heads up to HTC EVO Shift owners. Also, I noticed after removing the mount from the CD drive, a noticeable gap in the velvet-y/felt-y dust barrier at the opening of the CD drive. So, if you plan to swap this in and out and still use the CD drive for it's primary intention, there is a good chance dust or other optical lens clogging detritus may get in easier.
66 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2011
I just received the car mount and I'm very happy with design. I've got a 2010 Prius and the mount works perfectly in it. The mount holds my Sprint EVO with extended battery cover without a problem! The mount was the very thing I was looking for and didn't think I'd ever find for this car.
review image review image
on May 21, 2013
This product is excellent for what it is made for. It holds the phone securely in the CD slot as stated.

However a potentially deal-killing drawback is the quite small range of motion for the articulating arm. It really should be modified so that it tilts a little more as the range is very limited and insufficient to enable the screen to be seen clearly by the driver in many cars.

Another welcome would be for the bottom support to extend rather than only having the choice of on or off.

My phone (Samsung Droid Charge) has the volume and power buttons on the upper left and right sides respectively and the charging port on the lower left side. This being the case, the only option was to remove the bottom support and carefuly position the phone each time - a pain in the neck. However a little quality time with a Dremel and a rotary cutting bit and it is perfect now. Photos posted on the product page.

Overall a good product that can be perfect with some changes.

UPDATE: After a few days of using the product, the limited movement of the ball joint is quite irritating. Worth a full star rating reduction at least since it is an obvious shortcoming which is noticeable in one minute of use.

Note to designers: CD players are in the MIDDLE of the car. The driver is on the LEFT of the car. The severely limited movement of the ball joint results in far too sharp an angle; enough to impact the visibility of the phone screen considerably.
review image review image review image
on July 30, 2013
I think most cd players these days have a slight curve to the entrance of the CD slot (at least mine does)....this means that the devices just slowly slips out and falls off over and over. I opened it as wide as I could without being concerned about cracking my car but it still slipped out every time. I think the idea is a good one, just needs better constrution or a longer insert part into the CD slot.
on August 11, 2012
I purchased this product based on the outstanding reviews here. It worked well for 2 weeks until the following:
Area where the screw makes the contact with the plastic panel became warped.
The button which expands the side flaps broke after 2 weeks of use.

There is no customer service #. It is only done through email which took 2 days to respond.
I had to pay for shipping to ship back the product even though it was due to product malfunction.
66 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2012
I was very pleased at how well the product stayed in place when mounted in the CD slot, however I have encountered endless difficulty getting it to hold my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) reliably. It couldn't hold the bulky case, but that's not unreasonable, so I've been using it without the case. Still, over several weeks' worth of use the phone has started to slip out of the mount an intolerable number of times. Now the side pieces that click inward to adjust to the size of the phone immediately spring out every time I try to tighten them to hold my phone. A product like this should last longer than one month.
on October 17, 2013
I've tried sturdy window, cup and vent mounts before and this is by far my favorite. My reason of preference is the location of this mount.

I don't use CD at all, so this mount works out for me. It was very easy to set up, came with extra padding sponge for the arms. The mount feels pretty secure, but I wish it could improve is ability to swivel more left and right. It's pretty subtle for now, but i'll gladly take subtlety+stability over flexibility+instability/shaking. Otherwise, it's absolutely fantastic. It's located just enough from the vent so no AC vent is compromised!

I have IPHONE 5S, and I use 35mm port for earphones or auxilary cable all the time in the car. When the phone is in this mount, there is PLENTY space for charging port, but the 35mm entry was blocked by left of the bottom support. So I just added an extra padding to RIGHT SIDE, so the phone is now off-center pushed to the left. Now there's still plenty room in charging area and i get to plug in my cables easily without any problem! (my photo reference here) http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo1PU3XOSYVH3Q7/B004G1L52Q/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link

Also, one thing I presume for future... this mount will probably squish the hell out of the sponge cushion in the CD entry. But like i mentioned, i don't really use CD, so it doens't matter much for me. Cosmetically probably will be less attractive, but i guess i'll find out how i'll feel when that time comes. :P
review image
on April 6, 2014
It continually works out of the CD slot every time you move or touch your device. I have to put it back in every 3-4 days.

2002 Mini Cooper S - iPhone 4s - Vertical the phone covers the gas gauge, horizontal, it does not.

*Update* This is total crap. The roads in Michigan have finally thawed. I travel crap/dirt roads quite a bit. It will not stay in the slot. I tightened it so much the bottom bracket bent and cracked. The bezel of my radio popped off it was so tight. Not worth the money whatsoever.
on June 21, 2013
UPDATE: After a month with this mount, I'll confirm again how well it works. I like it so much better than the suction-cup mounts I've owned in the past. I've just ordered another one for my wife to use in her vehicle with her Galaxy S3.

I'll add my vote for this product. the other reviews have covered it all so I imagine people will skip right over this but here goes...

The mount is very sturdy and fits firmly into the CD slot without any play at all. I've used some suction-cup based mounts which seemed flimsy even when firmly attached to the glass or to another surface. The entire mount is heavy-duty and despite appearing clunky and bulky in these photos, if you mount it with the screw facing down, it looks and works great once your phone is installed.

I use this with a Galaxy S4 in my 2013 F150. I never use the CD player and find the placement on the dash doesn't block anything vital. I dislike the windshield mounts for use in the truck because it puts them out of reach if you need to use the touch-screen. Mounting on the dash keeps it within easy reach and the solid feel of the mount holds it firmly so the phone won't move when you're pushing buttons. It also keeps it closer to the USB and power ports so I don't have the USB/charger cable hanging there.

This all aids me in using the full features of the phone with ease. I'm using the voice commands extensively for navigation, music, messaging and phone calls on this phone. I employ the voice commands in my Samsung Galaxy S4 by 'double-clicking' the home button on the bottom of the phone. The mount holds the phone rock-solid and the phone doesn't wobble and move. Compared to previous mounts I've used, this beats them all for usability.

The mount comes with extra foam cushions which you can use as replacements in the event the originals wear out. I haven't had the mount for long so am unable to comment on wear. This is working out well for me but each of us have our own needs. The quality of the mount has been great and I expect it to last.