Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Board bookChange

I'm curious. Why do the best picture books explaining color involve solely, and with few exceptions, mice? I mean, just consider Denise Fleming's fantastic "Lunch" or Ed Young's stunning, "Seven Blind Mice". For some reason, mice are just prone to well written color-infused storylines. "Mouse Paint" is no different.
Three adorable albino mice (able to hide from clever cats by standing on white pieces of paper) come across three jars of pain. On is red, one is yellow, and one is blue. Thinking, in a typical mousy fashion, that the jars of paint are Mouse Paint, the three climb in. Next, they set about dipping their toes in other colors, creating whole new combinations. Thus, kids learn that when a red mouse does a jig in a puddle of yellow paint, his feet will eventually turn a bright cheery orange. By the end of the tale, the mice are painting all sorts of colors hither and yon, mixing and matching shades in all sorts of new and exciting ways.
The book is made from a series of cut-paper collages. You wouldn't necessarily know this when looking at it, however. These mice have verve and pep. Their puddle dances are lively and entertaining. There are subtle in-jokes, such as the mice washing themselves clean in a large bowl that reads, "CAT". And to top it all off, they're pretty darn cute to boot. Though I've seen good books explaining colors to kids, this is the best I've seen that explains how to create a new color out of the combination of two others. All in all, it's a good read and an entertaining one as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2005
As an elementary art teacher I have seen many many color themed books. This is the one I use every year in grades K-3, they never get tired of it, it's a wonderful refresher for them. It's endearing and educational at the same time. You just can't go wrong with "Mouse Paint".
on October 2, 2002
This book is a must have for anyone associated with a preschool child! By means of a clever tale - charming on its own - this book explores primary colors, color mixtures, and contrast. It became one of my child's favorites as a toddler and remains a favorite at age four. Longevity isn't the only milage we've gotten out of this book, either. It has also spawned many spontaineous, artistic experiments with color (mixing paint or playdough, etc.). For broad, lasting appeal and educational merit, this book is a great (bargain!) investment.
on September 2, 1998
Three white mice get into mischief when they discover some paint - red, blue, and yellow. The (almost) repetitive, simple text has each mouse "dance and swirl" and make a new color, which the mice announce with amazement- "Look, red feet in a blue puddle makes purple!" I use this book as a springboard for many activities in my preschool class - science, art, felt board stories. It's great for children to "read" by themselves, too.
on November 9, 2011
My son and I both love this book. We have borrowed it from the library several times, so I thought I'd better buy my son a copy of his own. I am very disappointed with the version we received. The mouse that is supposed to be blue is actually purple on two pages. How do I explain to my son that it is a blue mouse, when it is clearly purple? I bought this book to reinforce colours, not to confuse him. (And the cat is a horrible brown instead of a nice gray, but that's only a personal preference thing as it does not affect the colour learning aspect).

The good library edition we have on loan is printed by Orchard Books 1997 (printed in China). The cover has the three mice (the yellow with green legs, the red with orange legs, and the blue mouse dancing in a red puddle).

The wrongly coloured edition is printed by Voyager Books (trademark of Harcourt) (Printed in Singapore - cannot find a print year) and the cover looks like the amazon picture (three white mice painting the background, with a Voyager Books logo bottom left corner).

Love the book, hate the edition I received!
on September 19, 2003
We stumbled on this award-winning picture book by accident - but what a find! Three clever mice, illustrated by author Ellen Stoll Walsh in colorful cut-paper collage, discover three jars of "mouse paint." With childlike curiousity they dive right inside. And like children who can't resist splashing in puddles (mine included), the mice "splash" and "mix" and "dance" until they make a colorful mess. My daughters were already learning to identify colors. With Mouse Paint I was able to introduce the mixing of colors RED, BLUE, and YELLOW to create GREEN, ORANGE, and PURPLE - a concept they would not have learned until later.
on April 7, 2004
I know...corny heading--but so true. My three year old loves this book, and my 20-month old goes crazy for it. We checked Mouse Paint out from the library, then rechecked it out, and finally ordered our own copy. When the book arrived, my toddler exclaimed, "Daddy! Mouse Paint!"
This is a cute and clever telling of how mixing paint colors brings new colors. The pictures are simple, but appealing, as is the text.
Bottom-line: If your children are 0-3 buy this book!
on January 14, 1999
As an art teacher, I enjoyed the way in which this book presents the concept of primary colors, secondary colors and color mixing. It is easy to read, easy to understand and entertaining for young children who are experiencing the "science" of color for perhaps the first time, and for those who are re-experiencing it, it makes it fun and entertaining all over again.
on July 16, 2001
In my opinion this is one of the greatest books ever written for children. As both a mom and elementary school teacher it is rare for me to make that kind of statement! However, it is even more rare to find a 'concept' book that has such a perfect balance of subject matter for learning and good storytelling for pure entertainment. To top it off, the illustrations are magnificent and the whole thing can be read from cover to cover quickly enough to make it a favorite for nap time or for a lesson starter in classroom situations. Guaranteed to become an instant hit with the toddler/pre-k set. Well worth the price.
on December 15, 2001
This book would be good for the younger child, probably pre-school to second grade. It teaches children about primary colors which are red, yellow, and blue. It tells the story of three white mice who are being chased by a cat.They happen upon three jars of paint, which are red yellow and blue. They have a lot of fun experimenting with colors by jumping into the colors of paint and seeing what happens when they mix the colors together. This is a great way to introduce young children to the world of art.