Customer Discussions > PlayStation Move Starter Bundle forum

PS3 Move vs. Nintendo Wii Motion Plus

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2010 8:38:46 AM PDT
D. Oltmann says:
I have seen some mentions in the 5 star reviews saying that Move blows away the Wii, while the 1 star reviews state that MotionPlus for the Wii is better. I have the MotionPlus for the Wii and the PS3, and I was wondering how much better Move is, or should I skip it for a while until the price drops.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 10:26:05 AM PDT
J. Garmenn says:
The Move feels like the natural evolution of the the Wiimote (with MotionPlus). It's extremely accurate and does 3d tracking really well. However, it's hard to reccomend the Move at this point because there is a lack of compelling software uses it.

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 1:22:07 PM PST
Ya i'd have to agree with Garmenn. and never listen to one star reviews. Especially when most are in the 4 or 5 star range because there has to be something wrong there.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 10:24:21 PM PST
ryan-o- says:
If you should never listen to one star reviews, you should never listen to five star ones either. Having said that, I highly recommend reading the negative reviews that don't come out and trash the device for what it is not (written by a 'fanboy' of a competing console so to speak).

I purchased this bundle based on the reviews and am extremely disappointed.

The Move, to me, is no more accurate than the Wii Motion Plus. It is indeed more precise but that is definitely not a good thing unless you are a robot and makes the sports games learning curve very steep, makes the arcade shooters very hard to play, and makes you throw the thing at your TV in frustration after playing Tiger Woods 11.

The tech involved with the Move is more advanced and more expensive than the wii remote, but it accomplishes pretty much the exact same thing. There is a lot of mis information out there to sort through and I wish I did this before purchasing it but you learn from mistakes, right?

Basically, a wii remote has a 3-axis accelerometer and the motion plus adds a 2-axis gyroscope. The Move is the same except the gyroscope is 3-axis but I'm not sure what the benefit of this is (if any). Each Wii remote has a B&W 1024x768 camera on the end with an infared filter. The sensor bar emits several points of infared light with a couple lights pointed in different directions (in case using Wii from an angle) and this is used for point tracking as well as determining where the remote is in 3D space along with forward/backward movement.

The Move is the reverse of this, it's tracking point is the giant ugly ball and the camera is the PS eye. It has the advantage when tracking in 3D space because it can see the ball at all times (the wii has to calculate this after you point at the screen since the camera's won't see the IR lights unless being used as a pointer. It works quite well though). There aren't many examples of it's use even on Wii. Internally there is also a compass which serves a purpose that escapes me at the moment. Wii motion plus games force the user the calibrate the controller by placing it flat and pointing toward the sensor bar when starting games. That extra hardware (including compass) in the Move basically serves similar purpose HOWEVER you still have to calibrate the Move and also point in between games AND you have to stand in the middle where the camera tells you to.

So in the end, the technologically superior and more expensive Move controller functions practically identical to that of a Wii Motion Plus.. All that extra tech to do the same thing seems like kind of a waste. I doubt the precision is due to the tech, it's just something Sony dialed up too high that Nintendo chose not to. Move also has noticeable (but minor) lag that the Wii does not.

What it really can do that the Wii can't is be used for augmented reality games if that floats your boat. What the Wii with motion plus can do that the move cannot is it has a speaker (some hate it, some like it), it doesn't feature a ridiculous glowing ball (I know some people like it, but they're crazy for doing so), and you don't need two of them to play certain games, you can use the nunchuk (no motion control in Move's navigation controller)

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 3:59:45 PM PST
Kinect is really just a bunch of science fiction conveniences of voice & facial recognition and controller-free gameplay and menu navigation which overshadow the fact that its an overglorified eye toy with lag, lack of finger recognition so shooters will be impossible to play by pretending our hand's the gun, lack of analog control so games progress automatically on rails like they would in an arcade shooter such as House of the Dead. lack of true 1:1 recognition, and a focus on casual instead of hardcore gamers. Kinect Sports and Dance Central may seem fun and revolutionary now, but just like Wii sports they're casual games whose charm and fun will quickly wear off. The only moderately hardcore games for it are Star Wars and Forza 4 and even those are on rails. There IS a Steel Battalion game and this thing called Project Draco coming out though so maybe there is hope for it, but I'm pretty sure that those games will have the same sorts of problems, and if they try to make traditional shooters and such for kinect, a controller will be a must. They're probably just gonna use the kinect for headtracking which the PlayStation Eye can accomplish as well. In fact, the PlayStation Eye is actually the exact same thing as Kinect except that it doesn't have a depth sensor and Sony hasn't released any voice recognition software for it publically, but it can do that. In fact, the resolution for the PlayStation Eye is actually of a much better quality. Ultimately, Kinect will end up being just like the wii because of these limitations, a shovelware party game magnet with only a miniscule amount of it's library being able to offer something even remotely innovative. With Kinect, it's all very convenient and user-friendly, but it feels awkward to perform actions like driving a car, or sword figthing without something to hold onto, and even then when you're using objects that can imitate such actions,m there is the matter of gesture confusion. That's why games so far like Kinect Joyride have gotten pretty lukewarm reception. It just feels better to be using something like a Wii wheel, not to mention that it has a much faster response time and it's nowhere near as glitchy because of gesture confusion. That is why I don't like Kinect very much. There is just too much room for error, and those limitations will likely keep it from having any staying power within the hardcore gaming community. Besides, if developers were as lazy as they were on the Wii, just imagine how they will be on Kinect. It's much more difficult to develop games on. Not only is move the most advanced motion controller on the market, providing true 1:1 precision in 3D space for unparalleled immersion, but it also has plenty of hardcore gaming support from Infamous 2, Sports Champions, Heroes on the Move, Heavy Rain, Sorcery (the rest of this list has online multiplayer) MAG, Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, and many more in the future since Sony is really pushing its developers to really let the hardware shine, which is no problem since games that are being developed for move are much easier to develop than Kinect games. You only need to see the demos for the games I mentioned above to see for yourself, especially that of Sorcery. That title is an exceptional example of what move can do, and what the other two motion controllers can't do. Gameplay with move is fluid, natural, and life-like. It's the pinnacle of immersion. It's what everyone wanted out of the Wii in the first place. It's even gotten better reviews than Kinect, beating both it and wii motion plus as best motion controller in gamescon 10 and popular science magazine. And you can't say that it's copying the Wii because development on it started at the exact same time as that motion device while they were developing the eye toy. The only reason they decided to release it now is because they were perfecting the tech and giving developers time with it. I own a Wii with the motion plus and move is far more accurate and responsive, and that in turn makes it far more accurate and responsive than Kinect as well. To see for yourself, go play the ping pong game in Wii Sports Resort, Kinect Sports, and Sports Champions. While Resort is more full-featured and Kinect Sports has online play, Sports Champions CLEARLY controls much more life-like than the competitor's sports minigame solutions. It truly is the pinnacle of motion gaming, and I can't wait to see what else developers can come up with in terms of gameplay possibilities due to it's amazing pin point accuracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 1:22:17 PM PST
Totido says:
Are you sure you're not really Vylsith. You need professional help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 1:57:56 PM PST
........Why??????????? I copied and pasted this
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation Move Starter Bundle
PlayStation Move Starter Bundle by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (501)