Customer Discussions > PlayStation Move Starter Bundle forum

Move is looking good. Kinect, not so much.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2010 1:12:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2010 6:16:01 PM PDT
James says:
Due to all the 360 fanboy invasion, I thought I'd retort by posting some thoughts. First off, Move is getting unanimously high marks, from people who have *GASP* used it, and from people who aren't insecure little fanboys.

IGN AU
http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/111/1117286p1.html
8.5 /10
Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review/
CVG
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=262388
9 / 10
PC Mag
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368365,00.asp?tab=FullReview
4 / 5
IncGamers
http://www.incgamers.com/Reviews/1086/playstation-move-hardware-review
9 / 10
TechRadar
http://n4g.com/news/596269/techradar-playstation-move-review/com
4.5 / 5
ElectricPig
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review/
4 / 5
Stuff.tv
http://stuff.tv/Review/Sony-PlayStation-Move-review/
4 / 5
Gameinformer
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/01/move-hardware-review-motion-controls-evolved.aspx
8 / 10
Yahoo
http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/15186/playstation-move-better-than-wii.html
4 / 5
Play3
http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.play3-live.com/accessoires-ps3/playstation-move-4.html
9.5 / 10
ExtremeTech
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2368571,00.asp
4 / 5

Now, about Kinect, think about it: those same people who are bashing Move despite all the great reviews, are praising Kinect on the other side. Why exactly? Their criticisms toward Move are baseless, and their praise of Kinect is as well. There are no hardcore games for it, there are no specific hardcore titles coming in the future! Obviously they simply don't own a PS3, that's what it is. They own a 360 and worship it, but they baselessly bash the consoles they don't own to convince themselves they don't need one.

Everyone I've talked to who has both consoles heavily prefers Move. And every journalist who has played both has said Move wins despite Kinect having more potential to be a fad/popular, because Move has all the kinds of games they like to play, is what it all boils down to. So for all these 360 fanboys who are bored with their current games and have to troll other game forums for their only entertainment, go right ahead and get a Kinect. It'll be your own $150 you're blowing.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 2:32:02 PM PDT
Joseph Jenks says:
yea but I already have a wii, and its collecting dust...
can you see where i am going here?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 3:19:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 10, 2010 7:10:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 5:56:28 PM PDT
Hector Roman says:
Well I am not excited about any of the motion capture devices because they are not intended for my favorites games (Deep stories or adventures with development, dialog, choices, consecuences, action and role playing).

By the way, the comment "...but they're too poor to buy a PS3..." is denigrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 6:09:22 PM PDT
James says:
@Joseph Well, a lot of the reasoning why I don't play mine either has to do with there not being many games that support Motion Plus. If there were more games that incorporated deep motion controls that required actual skill to use, like Tiger Woods, I'd be more interested in my Wii.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 11:44:13 PM PDT
J. says:
I own a PS3, 360, and Wii. I play the Wii for a select few titles and none of them are built around motion control. The PS3 and 360 both see far less use than my PC, if more than the Wii. I won't be picking up Move or Kinect for any reason.

Long story short - the arguements between PS3 and 360 Fanboys over their respective motion-control schemes are, frankly, absurd. Both are going to be poor performers in sales long-term because the lions share of the 'casual' market is already taken by Wii. And casual gamers, practically by definition, don't go in for multiple consoles, especially when, best case scenario, it's a $350 - $400 dollar purchase for those who currently own a Wii but not a 360 or PS3.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 6:04:19 AM PDT
B. Anderson says:
I think the 360 should take a lesson from the PS2.... motion cameras incorporated into games can be really great, but ultimately, you there hasn't been a good solution yet to play a game like Halo w/o any type of controller.

All of the bashing on the Move is pretty silly.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 10:10:19 AM PDT
Erik Carlson says:
I wouldn't want developers to even try to make a FPS controlled by Kinect, because it isn't the best solution right now. Kinect games should focus on what Kinect was designed for, full body motion control. Dodgeball is a fun game to play in real life, but I think a dodgeball game played with a standard controller would be pretty boring. Playing it with Kinect though would be much closer to the real experience (minus getting hit with balls) and might be a lot of fun. Move could work well for a dodgeball game as well, although I'd be worried about throwing the controller through my TV.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 10:42:05 AM PDT
Joseph P. Jenkins says: Yea but I already have a Wii, and its collecting dust... Can you see where I am going here?

I am allergic to mushroom so I am don't eat bacon too. I totally see where you are going.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 12:31:10 PM PDT
Life Aquatic says:
I own a PS3 and I am also excited about the PS move. There is no doubt that the move hardware has garnered universal praise - as you have listed the review scores for the device itself. However I am worried about the software that is compatible with Move. The average review scores for the launch-day titles are much lower (in 60-70/100 range) and honestly there is no game that is a must-buy on launch day.

With that having been said, I am still itching to get my hands on the move tomorrow. I am thinking about ordering it right now.... haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 12:51:10 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Again... Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5... Must have launch titles. There you go. Wii had no must have release titles either. Neither does Kinect. If you want a motion control console with a lot of great titles just buy a Wii. If you want the better controller and a chance for some better motion control games later on then buy Move. It's a gamble, but that's the industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 2:00:07 PM PDT
Life Aquatic says:
Heavy Rain and RE5 are great titles but one can argue that they are NOT must-have titles since they both have been previously released with analog control. In fact reviews for the move versions of RE5 and Heavy Rain reveals that the motion control do not change the experience dramatically. Of course I want a motion control console with "lots of great titles" - who doesn't??? It would be insane to buy the Move simply for its superior control as a $100 pointer. As I have said previously - I am absolutely a FAN of the PS move but I am just not sure that there are must-have games right now to warrant a launch-day purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 3:06:54 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Every motion control game ever made could conceivably be played with a regular controller. A motion controller will just offer a variation on control, it doesn't actually change the game. Notice most Wii games can be played with a standard controller as well. If you're expecting the experience to feel like a new game console, you'll be very upset at the outcome. It's the same game console, a new controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 5:35:54 PM PDT
Life Aquatic says:
well if your point is that the PS move is nothing beyond an "alternative" way to play existing games, then the Move will never rise beyond a gimmick appealing only to casual gamers. To be successful they have to offer a better playing experience in at least some aspect - and that's the challenge that Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo all have to take on. Sony claims that the Move is aimed at core gamers, and they have to come up with that must-have game experience that can only be done with the Move control, not just having existing AAA titles that can ALSO be played with Move controllers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 8:02:34 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Every motion control is just a new way to play existing games. What game can't be played on a joystick? Mario Kart? Queue Game Cube and Super Nintendo. Zelda? Queue every Nintendo ever made. Sport Resort? Queue Track and Field and Summer Games. It's not like these games didn't exist before a motion controller. Even Dance Central, queue Dance Dance Revolution. Sure the game's are sightly different than they used to be, but it's only to fine tune them to the controller. The same way you fine tune PC games to a mouse and keyboard. The games really aren't the next evolution in gaming, it's just a new way to play the same games. It boggles my mind that everyone looks at Move and Kinect and expects this amazing new experience that they've never had before. Same games, new controller. That's all it is. That's all it ever was. That's all it ever will be. That said, it can be a ton of fun, but you can't make apples out of oranges. If you want innovation try reinventing a genre or creating a new one even, like RTS about 15 years back. Changing the controller will not magically create innovation. It's just a new controller.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 1:57:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 1:57:26 AM PDT
James says:
Vylsith: "Same games, new controller. That's all it is. That's all it ever was. That's all it ever will be. That said, it can be a ton of fun, but you can't make apples out of oranges. If you want innovation try reinventing a genre or creating a new one even, like RTS about 15 years back. Changing the controller will not magically create innovation. It's just a new controller."

A bunch of BS. New controllers open the door for new types of games. The analog thumbstick made way for the 3D platformer and first person shooters. Without evolving controllers those genres would not have developed to much.

Motion control absolutely has its advantages over a standard dual analog pad. For instance, play a tennis game with a standard controller, and you'll find that there are several buttons you have to memorize that do different kinds of shots, lobs, top spin, backspin, etc. But with a motion controller, you simply do what comes natural, and the physics obey.

There a hundreds of other examples, but I don't think I need to prove my point any further.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 2:25:34 AM PDT
Reuben Roa says:
'It boggles my mind that everyone looks at Move and Kinect and expects this amazing new experience that they've never had before. Same games, new controller. That's all it is. That's all it ever was. That's all it ever will be. That said, it can be a ton of fun, but you can't make apples out of oranges.' You say that like its a bad thing. Move IS a new experience that no ones played before. Using the Wii is a copout strictly due to the fact that there are minimal games for hardcore gamers. Playing a REAL game with a motion controller is a completely different experience. Changing the controllers are a huge part of the evolution of gaming. Like when the N64 came out with the joystick controller, that was huge. All of a sudden all the d-pad games were weak and people lost interest in games that didnt support it. and there is no reason the think this wont be the same. Innovation can come from anywhere, it doesnt need to just be a genre of gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 3:01:21 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
FPS existed with a keyboard and mouse a long time before they ever existed on a console. They're still more accurate and efficient with a keyboard and mouse. The question isn't about which genre is better, it's about innovation. There were 3D platforms and FPS for consoles before the modern joystick. Obviously 2 analog sticks has definitely allowed a lot more freedom of movement in games, but it hardly reinvented a genre. The games control different, but play almost exactly the same. That's my point.

I never said a motion controller doesn't have advantages for different types of games. I said:

"A motion controller will just offer a variation on control, it doesn't actually change the game. Notice most Wii games can be played with a standard controller as well. If you're expecting the experience to feel like a new game console, you'll be very upset at the outcome. It's the same game console, a new controller."

That's the entire gist of my message. Obviously the experience will change depending on the controller, but the game itself is still exactly the same game. So you might enjoy the game more with a motion controller than a normal controller (rightly so when it comes to Ping Pong and Bowling and the like), but it's not exactly changing the face of video games. A holograph chamber would change the way we look at video games. A new controller does change how we play the game, but the game doesn't really change for a controller we just perceive it differently.

Basically, as I already said over and over again, you can and very well may enjoy the motion controller more than a regular controller. This doesn't completely change the way we look at video games though. Resident Evil 5 is a great game with a controller or a motion controller. If the game had been made for the motion controller first do you really think it would be that different? Most likely not. It's a different way to play the same games. We're arguing about completely different things here and you're trying to insinuate that I think motion controls can't be a better controller for some games. That's not even remotely close to what I'm saying. It just really doesn't change the game. It's a new way to play the same old game. I happen to like many of those same old games so it's really not a problem for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 3:34:27 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
Resident Evil 5 is the same game whether you play it with the PS3 controller or Move. Socom will be the same game regardless of whether you play it with the PS3 controller or Move. About the only game I've ever seen that would be very difficult to input with a controller would be Dance Central, and even then it's just because of fine motor coordination. You could still create a very similar entertaining game that was slightly different.

The analog joystick has been around since the Atari 2600. The Nintendo 64 didn't invent the wheel, they just incorporated it. Controllers definitely change the way we play games, they don't change the games themselves. Remember the Sega CD? Remember Eye of the Beholder, granted it released on PC first? Well, games like that evolved into FPS. In fact Dungeon Master, very similar but about 3 years before Eye of the Beholder, basically invented the 3D realtime first person game idea that we use today. That's innovation. It can come from anywhere, but a new controller isn't going to create new possibilities in gaming. Developers create those. Not the controller. That was my original point. People are trying to pretend that Move and Kinect will make games possible that were impossible before. Lies and deceit. They were most definitely possible before, the developers just didn't create them. That's what I'm saying.

On a side note, there are a ton of hardcore titles for Wii. Granted the percentage of hardcore titles to shovelware is pretty dismal, but since there's about 5 times more games for the Wii than the PS3 and 360 it doesn't really matter. There's a good 50 very decent hardcore titles for Wii. Granted you might not consider some of them hardcore, but I don't think blood is required for a game to be considered "hardcore". In my opinion hardcore games draw the interest of the classic gamers. Games like Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, Metroid, Monster Hunter, Super Mario Galaxy, Sin and Punishment... you get the idea. There are plenty of great games for the Wii. You may not like them, they may not involve blood splattering all over the screen... but if you're going to imply that Metroid isn't a hardcore game I'm going to imply you aren't a true gamer. I don't even own a Wii, but that argument is an assumption that simply isn't true. The 360 and the PS3 are mostly shovelware as well. It may be more expensive, higher budget shovelware, but I wouldn't consider games like Alpha Protocol and Ninety Nine Nights 2 to be the epitome of gaming.

Maybe you have different tastes than I, but I pretty much refuse to buy any game that I don't consider to be at least an 8 out of 10. I'd MUCH rather play Monster Hunter 3 or Metroid on the Wii than play Metro 2033 on the 360. Does that mean I'm not a hardcore gamer? Hardly. It just means I realize that quality is more important than blood. If it doesn't live up to my standards I usually get rid of it pretty quickly. I rarely ever buy a game that I'm not positive I won't thoroughly enjoy. Playing Heavy Rain or Little Big Planet 2 with Move should be awesome. Again, the game doesn't change. Just the way I perceive the game. Will that be enough? For a while probably. I'm positive the motion controller will stay around and it will probably come standard with most, if not all, consoles next gen. Most games will probably offer support for a standard controller and a motion controller. I'm not suggesting the motion controller won't stay around, I just don't think we're going to see a lot of new concepts come from this motion controller craze. The Wii hasn't really brought us much in the way of innovation when it comes to actual game content outside of fitness games. That's mostly because there was never a market for fitness games in the past. I seriously doubt we'll see much from Move or Kinect either. I've rambled long enough.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 7:44:01 AM PDT
Iggster says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 6:21:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 6:29:47 PM PDT
James says:
"There were 3D platforms and FPS for consoles before the modern joystick."

Well first of all I said it MADE WAY for these types of games- meaning that it made them worth playing on a grand scale.

And you are losing your focus: I'm not going on about saying Nintendo or the thumbstick is the first or best solution for x genre- I'm saying that CONTROLLERS, whether it's a mouse, a thumbstick, or a 3D motion detecting remote, dramatically impact the usablity of a game. Mice are the ultimate interface for FPS's. The mouse is a controller and it was a huge improvement for FPS fans compared to the keyboard FPS days.

You're just helping me prove that the controller can improve the experience so much that it draws new audiences into genres they wouldn't have been interested in playing on a previous form of control.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 8:35:16 PM PDT
Happy dad says:
I have all 3 systems....I use my 360 and PS3 the most, and enjoy both of them for different reasons. My wife recently got to play with kinect at a special event and (keep in mind that she's not a gamer at all) said it was "the coolest thing ever.". Now, I am not putting the Move down...haven't seen it in action. But now really looking forward to Kinect. In the end, sure I'll have both for me and the kids any way.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 9:38:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 9:48:47 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
I never said the controller can't improve the experience of certain genres. I specifically said it can. That was never my argument. My argument was that Move and Kinect are simply controllers. They aren't new consoles. They aren't going to start a video game revolution like reviewers and fanboys are proclaiming throughout the interwebz. They're new controllers. They will impact some genres. There will be some new ideas within games undoubtedly as there is whenever any new controller type releases. Still, video games aren't going to change as much as people are pretending they will. A controller is a controller. As long as it gives you plenty of options, there's nearly an infinite number of possibilities. It's up to the developer to unlock the possibilities in their mind. The controller doesn't make that happen, it just provides a new way to hit the same baseball or shoot the same alien. That's my point. New way of playing, definitely changes the way we play the game, doesn't really change the games themselves much.

As for the mouse and FPS comment, the mouse has been used in FPS since Doom. The only FPS I'm aware of that didn't have mouse support for Wolfenstein, and probably a few other shareware Wolfenstein clones that were equally horrible. Doom didn't allow movement on the Y axis however. It wasn't until Duke Nukem 3D (which basically created the mouse/keyboard control scheme for FPS we still use today) that the mouse could control movement in all directions. The mouse was integral part of FPS almost since its conception. The second analog stick was definitely a move in the right direction for FPS on the console. It still didn't change the games, just allowed them to be played through a different method.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 11:46:08 PM PDT
Bond Girl says:
Oh please, get a life Vylsith. I'm tired of seeing your fanboy comments all over everything on X-Box and PS3. Either enjoy the games or just stop your whining. This is not real life for pete's sake.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2010 1:21:12 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
So I'm a PS3 fanboy when I say something you don't want to hear about the 360 and I'm a... I don't know fanboy in general, not that it's even possible, when I say something bad about the motion controller fad? Granted I never even said anything bad about the motion controller fad. What's hilarious is when someone named "Bond Girl" can't even be bothered to read my post or address anything inside it before forming an incredibly useless response. Congratulations on wasting space on the forums! Please find some way to not be completely useless in the future. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Sep 10, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation Move Starter Bundle
PlayStation Move Starter Bundle by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (445)