5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal - better than later version 2013
[UPDATE: This is better than Magix's later version 2013. See my review there.]

Published 22 months ago by Mike

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Following is my review for the previous version of this product. My understanding is that the problem I encountered still exists in this current version of Magix Movie Edit Pro.

Published on March 8, 2012 by Rob Reinhardt

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Important Warning For U.S. Users Regarding Menus and Support!, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)

I originally purchased this product because it was the only consumer-level movie editing package that could handle 3D editing. It also had some strong recommendations in a UK based 3D editing forum. I managed to get past the steep learning curve that others had mentioned and began doing some basic editing. I quickly learned, however, that none of the dynamic menus rendered by the software would play properly in my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. It played properly in some other players, so my initial thought was that it was the player, not the software.

A support person at Magix did some investigating and insisted that there was no problem with the software. It then took me 8 months of wrangling with Panasonic to get it fully investigated. They initially insisted that they couldn't provide support discs created by consumer level software. I continued to be persistent and finally 8 months later they returned with the verdict. There was PAL video inserted in the dynamic menus. (PAL is a European standard; NTSC is the standard in the US). So, ultimately the problem was with the software.

I contacted Magix with this information. Initially the support person, a different one than before, was very apologetic. I asked that, if the problem could not be quickly corrected, that I receive a refund. At this point I had lost 9 months of full use of the product (dynamic menus were one of the major decision points in my purchase) and had ruined over a dozen Blu-Ray discs trying to troubleshoot the issue. He suggested that I get them "a few days" so that the development team could meet and investigate a fix, at which time, if it couldn't be applied to my version he would offer me a free upgrade.

Over three weeks have past and my request for an update were finally met with a statement that it will likely take a significant amount of time to implement a fix and that, because it's been 9 months, they cannot offer me a refund. This, despite the fact that I reported the problem only 6 weeks after originally purchasing it and it was, by their own acknowledgement, their fault that they didn't catch their error at the time.

At this point, because of this experience, I can no longer recommend Magix products. If you are unconcerned about dynamic menus, and don't mind the learning curve, you will likely find some value in it. However, there are more choices now for editing 3D video, and IMO better choices for general editing. I recently used the trial version of CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra and have purchased based on a positive experience. I will offer a full review once I've been able to test the 3D capabilities.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:51:57 AM PST
Hello Rob,

I remember dealing with your problem and am sorry for the issues you experienced.

The problem unfortunately could not be fixed in the version that you purchased and we offered you a free upgrade to the newer version when it was fixed. This however, ran into further technical problems that could not be resolved on your computer.

I can understand your frustration, however, we can only refund products purchased directly from us and this we do with no quibbles if there are serious technical issues or within 30 days. Unfortunately, when it is purchased from a 3rd Party, it is up to them to honour any refunds.

When the new version still did not work, we did offer you a free upgrade to our $400 professional package or a $100 store coupon to use on another package. However, neither of these were taken up, which I can understand with your experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars trial download failed to work correctly ...., March 27, 2012
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)
I've used magix pro edit 16 and 17 in the past. I had problems with 17 being kloogey. Even with my new i7 quadcore with 16gigs of ram
it still runs kloogey. So I seen the mx version was available boasting the faster loads so I thought I would try it.

I loaded up one cam track in 720p that I had shot, the MX skipped and popped during playback.
I loaded up 4 cam tracks and it failed miserably and locked up.

If its (full version mx) anything like edit pro 17, the computer hasn't been built yet to accommodate it.
When I look at my performance monitor when magix software is running kloogey and slow, I'm hardly using any
RAM or cpu usage. Its like the software cannot communicate correctly thru 64 bit windows 7 architecture.

I really want to LOVE this software, as I'm familiar with it and know how to get the things done I need to get done with it.
But wow, you end up hating it while trying to love it at the same time.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:56:47 AM PST
Hello Beauno,

When you are editing HD material then the software will not be taxing the CPU or the RAM. You have not mentioned your graphics card yet, you may want to check that the graphics card is not an onboard card or low end. We require something in the range of a Geforce 550 or Radeon 7750 upwards to ensure smooth HD editing, especially in multicam. This is because the preview is shunted directly to the graphics card for editing, it is only in final encoding that the CPU is used.

1.0 out of 5 stars MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus LEMON, February 5, 2013
I've been an avid user of MAGIX /audio/video products for years. I've told countless people how intuitive and fun MAGIX is to use. Now I'm VERY disappointed and behind on a deadline. I purchased MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus through Amazon last week to complete a project. All of the specs seemed great. It does not have a working display that doesn't stutter during playback/edit, making it IMPOSSIBLE to sync anything. The VFX are limited and complicated. This is the WORST version of MAGIX Movie I've ever owned. How do I go about getting a refund so I can purchase a decent program and finally finish my project that is now overdue?

disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal - better than later version 2013, October 12, 2012
[UPDATE: This is better than Magix's later version 2013. See my review there.]

I usually don't do incremental updates to products (preferring to wait until two updates and bug fixes have been released), but I updated from Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus [Old Version] to this version two months ago when it was on sale at Fry's for $25 (clearing out for the next version) because of the promise of improved performance and a few improved features. [Hint: I just upgraded again to MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus (okay, the price was right - $25 at Fry's). But unless you're doing some high power AVCHD stuff and need even more promised performance improvements, there's no reason to upgrade from v18. v18 is the biggest bang for the buck. I comes with a real, printed, thick, manual, whereas v 2013 does not. In fact, as just released (no patches) v 2013 produces worse MP4's for YouTube than v18 does! See my 4 star review for v 2013.]

So as to not repeat myself too much, see my 5 star review titled "Biggest bang for $30 bucks" for MEP v17. With these products from Magix, you always want to buy the Plus version so that you get various codecs for free and important features, like screen capture recording, etc.

The most noticeable improvement in v 18 is the speed. I'm running an overclocked unlocked quad core AMD processor (4 core, 3.4 GHz) with a low end Nvida video card, that has only limited CUDA support. (Only 4GB RAM, but MEP never gets close to using that up.) While v17 was acceptable when it came to exporting times (five to ten minutes typically for a five minute YouTube), v18 is maybe 20% faster AND uses less CPU than v17! That's because v18 can offload some stuff to your GPU. I can only imagine that if you had a full blown video card with full CUDA or OpenCL support, v18 would go even faster. (While v 2013 can offload even more functionality to the GPU, I actually lose performance when exporting to MP4. It's faster for me, to use software encoding. And I get better rendering. But YMMV.)

The program doesn't boast 64 bit code, as competitors do (Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 Ultra), but, with the processing moving to the GPU, maybe that doesn't matter so much anymore. As it is, I don't find myself complaining about waiting on the program while I'm editing. (It has a pre-rendering feature for previewing complicated transitions (a new feature), but I haven't needed to use it so far.)

By the way, during install, the program kinda sniffs your system and will install differently for different configurations. For example, on my old Core 2 Duo, the program encodes WMV faster than my quad core, but the file size is a lot bigger (120 MB vs 30) when it does that, because the program is trying to give you a fast user experience, albeit at the expense of compression.

I patched v18 immediately after installation, and have not had any serious troubles. (Running Win7 64.) In the few times it crashed (while changing a title's advanced settings), it did so gracefully and the restore function has always saved the day. (That is, never lost a project.) After I tweaked some of the program settings (primarily regarding video hardware), it stopped crashing.

I only use MEP to make YouTube videos, so I can't speak to making your own DVD's and such, with chapters and fancy menus. But for what I do, it's very capable. I joke that, like my brain, I only use 10% of MEP's features. If you can think it, you can probably do it in MEP.

[However, one thing I would like, which I read that Adobe can do, is in place editing of graphics, so that you can make a mask in sutu. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to trace out a license plate on the screen and instantly make that into a mask for pixelating and object tracking? However, they tried to make that easier with v18 (a.k.a. "MX" for "Media eXchange"), where you can make a copy of your image object, send that graphic to the supplied Magic photo editor and make a mask from there and bring it back. Still, it could be easier.]

While all the time line interfaces on these video editing programs are similar (but, for example, one I tried insisted your audio always went on a certain track), when you want to get fancy, Magix has its own unique way of doing things. But once you figure out how the Germans think, it's easy and consistent across the board. Also, you want to tweak the program settings to your liking to make it do what you think it should do.

And, as I said in my v17 review, the default MP4 settings don't seem optimal for YouTube. I tweaked a bunch and found an optimal setting, which, fortunately, imported into v18 because the Main Concept MP4 encoder is still the same. (But changed in v2013.)

I could try to explain all the little nuances that I think make this a fantastic program, but as others have recommended, the best way to see if this program (or any video editor) is right for you and your particular computer, is to download the trial version most of the major makers offer. When I upgraded from MEP v15 to v17, it took me a day or two to figure things out. So try making a video or two within your 30 day trial period, and that will tell you if you like the program.

As I've said, v 2013 is shipping now. But I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to that. This seems to be the biggest bang for the buck.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magix Pro That I Know, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)
After using the Magix Pro series for the past 3 years, I had an opportunity to run some competing video editors, including Sony Vegas and Cyberdirector, to see if there would be any rendering advantages in other software formats. I discovered that the nomenclature of most video software these days is so different between programs, that it requires a complete retraining of processes in order to get results, which I found myself unwilling to do. The 'comfort' of the Magix interface, coupled with a good book-sized publication included in the package, made it a compelling choice for me to decide upon acquiring MX Pro 18. While its rendering times are not the fastest in the industry, the amount of video and audio tools included in the package (audio recordists take note, this is as good as Pro Tools for a computer multitrack solution!) make the program one of the most powerful in its price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Choice for Your Video Editing Needs!, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus offers more of everything...more tracks...more templates...From 3D editing to Multi-Cam editing to travel route animation. A very NEW part of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus is the addition of the MX Media-X-Change, which provides a very fast way to exchange media with other MAGIX programs, online services and mobile devices. Videos that are uploaded are automatically converted into the right format and quality for the web. This is a huge update since many social video sites have their own format and may require a compression or conversion before uploading.
The program reports to be 3-times faster thanks to an optimized MAGIX Hybrid Video Engine.....the more powerful your processor is, the more speed you will see....up to 350% gain over the previous version of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17(AVCHD footage output). Create very impressive slow motion effects with smooth transitions but what I like most about the new features is the 'accelerated video preview.' When I tried to preview large files previously, I found a number of times, that the video would seem to start and stop because of the 'rendering' engine built into a video program. Now that seems to be a thing of the past. I tried several videos that I had edited in previous versions, in the new MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus and all of them played back smoothly and without problems. Very nice new feature!
Screens can now be captured using this program and the number of tracks has increased significantly....from 32 in Movie Edit Pro MX to 99 in Movie Edit Pro MX Plus and the Premium edition. Professional movie templates (MX Plus and MX Premium only) add that 'Hollywood' touch to a very nice video editing program. There are a total of over '60' improvements in the MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX/Premium versions. A newly designed interface, waypoints and points of interest (POI's) and new animated vehicles and objects make for a very professional and fun 'vacation' video. More content now translates to more versatility in your movie making experience. 28 new backgrounds, animations and loops, 35 new disc menus, 4 new title templates and a whole lot more will add that 'professional' touch to every video you produce.

The 'Premium' edition of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX includes some very nice 'bonus' programs.

I am very pleased with all the attention that MAGIX has paid to this program and the new features which will certainly put it up there as one of the 'top' video editing programs.

All MAGIX programs are developed so that all basic functions can run on even low-performance computers. The minimum requirements are satisfactory to run MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus/Premium but it would be wise to use these programs on computers that have more computing power. MAGIX has indicated the requirements for this program at this link........[...]. Some of the functions demand more computing power so please refer to your operating system's control panel for technical information on your computer.

As I have said before, I have been a big advocate of MAGIX programs for many years and will continue to use their software for my personal enjoyment and business use. MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus and MX Premium have lived up to their initial release and will continue to get better and better.....I'm sure of it!

If you need a very well-designed and easy-to-use video editing program then MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX/Premium should be your first choice. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great software!, January 21, 2012
Joe2014 (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)
I love music (see my review for Music Maker Pro). I have a video in my mind to go along with a song that I wrote. I downloaded the trial version and was overwhelmed at all the `stuff' in this program! Being a guy, I saved the manual for last and dove right into the program. I wanted to see what I could do and just starting dragging and dropping images into the workspace. I then added a title from the templates and hit the play button. That was cool; I then added an audio track by dragging and dropping a wav file onto the workspace. Wow! This is very powerful! A little over kill for just a slide show I thought. I started to franticly look for video files on my hard drive; pressed ctrl + n to create a new file. I dragged a small avi file taken from my digital camera and just started playing. Before I new it, a couple of hours had gone by and it was time to sleep. I had to go to work in the morning.

While at work, I thought of all the `neat' things I could do; titles, special effects, overlapping...I came home from work and got my 5 year old grandson to pose for me. I made a short video of him dropping and rolling a tennis ball. I wanted to see if I could reverse the `movie' and make it look like the ball rolled to him and jumped into his hands. I admit I had to look to find how to reverse this. Easy to do; bring up the help, do a search on `reverse' and find the controls to do it. That was easy! And Fun! This is a great program! I decided it was time to look at the manual.

I downloaded the demo project and played it. I had a hard time believing that this software, Movie Edit, could make something like that! I was seeing things I did not imagine could be done by the average computer user. This is an extremely powerful program that can give you very professional results if you take the time to explore it. If I was to start over, I would go to the `Tasks" on the menu bar. Everything is laid out for you. Every step of creating a professional looking video is there, all you have to do is follow the steps.

I got Movie Edit Pro version online from Magix's website. There is so much that they include in the pro version that I am overwhelmed! My biggest frustration is patience; my imagination is running in overdrive!

I haven't tried creating the 3d videos yet or looked at all the audio files that you can add to your videos. I can't wait to upload directly to You Tube! There is so much included with this software (Pro Plus version) that this is going to take a commitment from me, to learn. Before this, I have never used any video editing software so I felt I was at a disadvantage; I found that there are tons of how to's on you tube and in Magix's community. Another great product from Magix, the best multimedia engineers in the world!

I hope to update this in a month after I have learned all the features of Movie Edit MX.

About me: I am a middle aged former software developer (20 years) and currently work in the quality control department of a major biotech software company. I started using Magix products in 2004 when I was looking for software to transfer my record albums to my computer. I was so impressed at the quality, that I tried some of their multimedia products. I have been a steady customer since. Please read my reviews of Movie Edit and Music Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome and Stable, September 4, 2012
I had a previous version of this software (15 I think) that I liked but it wasn't stable when editing 1080 from my gopro. I took a risk and bought the new version and I am very happy. It takes advantage of the 64 bit OS and all 8 threads of my i7. It is rock solid and is a good value for what you get. It gives you a lot more features than movie maker, but isn't that much harder to use and is very intuitive. I have attempted to use Adobe Premier but that has a huge learning curve and costs a lot more. This is a nice middle of the road editor and worth the price.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars FAILURE!!! Its so buggy! I cant even acess the help, support., August 23, 2012
I bought this thinking I could make some videos for YouTube. Well, so much for that. Lets just say I never got it to work.
Right out of the box, it pops up with a "Would you like to watch a demo video?" after the inital installation. That failed to work. I upload a video from my new Android Razor, Mpeg4. The video plays fine, the audio is sped way up. I cant figure out why. I go to the help menu, "Help menu - Failed to connect". I go to the support website. You have to become a member by the way to ask for help.... Well, after filling out all the info, they have that weird way of writing a code word that you have to read and then write in the box. THEY ARE TOTALLY UNREADABLE! I tried like a dozen times to get one that I can read and always failed.

Let me put it this way this Software is FAILURE!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and choose something else. MAGIX if you read this review by anychance, contact me because I want my money back! I will slam this product every way I can.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:37:54 AM PST
Hello DavidMerry007,

I am sorry for the late reply, I have just read your comments.

Unfortunately due to the range of codecs out there and modifications to them, audio synch issues are common throughout all video editors.

In terms of contacting us, our support site is located at support.magix.net, here you can use the Contact Support option. It is correct that for free Technical Support you need to register your product, this is very common with software companies. I will pass on your comments about the capture code, I too can find them frustrating sometimes on many websites.

In terms of contacting us when you have problems registering, if you use the Sales Email option then you can send an email to us with no registration required. Alternatively you can ring us on 305-722-5810 (9am - 4pm EST, Mon - Fri), that is our sales and customer service number, they would help you register.

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on all products purchased directly from us, unfortunately in this case if you have purchased from Amazon then they would have to process the refund. We can offer store credit to the value of your purchase if you would want something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus (DVD-ROM)
What a cool program this is. Professional results without a college degree. Magix Movie Edit Pro MX makes
the creation of everything from a video album to a full-length movie possible for anyone with a desire to
spend the time and energy to do it.

I've owned and used another movie editing suite (I won't name names) for a few years now and before I could
fully understand it, I had to take a college course. Even then it took me almost a year before I became
comfortable with it.

Not so with Magix Movie Edit Pro MX, I was able to create an incredible music video after just a few hours
with the video guides.

This one comes with my strongest recommendation.

Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus
Movie Edit Pro 18 MX Plus by Magix Entertainment (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$89.99 $39.00