Other Sellers on Amazon
Date Movie (Unrated Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Commentary by director/co-writer Aaron Seltzer and co-writer Jason Friedberg
- Commentary by stars Alyson Hannigan, Adam Campbell, Sophie Monk and more
- "Anti-Commentary" by critics Scott Foundas and Bob Strauss
- 12 deleted/extended/alternate scenes
- Andy's poolside extended dailies
- "On Dating" featurette
- Fox Movie Channel featurette "Making a Spoof"
- Audition tapes
- Set-top game
- "The Quickie" - Date Movie in six minutes
- Optional laugh track
Top Customer Reviews
This film, on the other hand, simply falls flat. I think the writers forgot that to make a spoof, they had to do more than just menetion the movie they are spoofing, or at least make the spoof moment somewhat satirical and entertaining. It's like they made a list of all the films they wanted to make fun of and then couldn't come up with ways to make them funny.
1) We need to spoof Pretty Woman! Let's have the male star dress up as a hooker and walk down Melrose in a flashback sequence! Wait a minute, huh? Why is the male star imitating a female prostitute again?
2) We need to spoof Meet the Parents! I know, let's have the goofy Ben Stiller character knock down the urn with the mother's ashes in it, only THIS time, we'll have an entire dead body spill out of the urn instead of ashes. Oh that will be a hoot! And THEN we'll have the cat go and french kiss the dead body instead of pee on it. That's hysterical!
3) We need to spoof Kill Bill!! (Wait... what? Is that even a date movie?)
4) We need to spoof Hitch. I know! Let's have a dwarf play some guy named Hitch who gives love advice to our lead female. Hysterical!
5) We need to spoof When Harry Met Sally. I have a great idea. For no reason at all, we'll start a dinner scene with our male star faking an orgasm (ridiculously I might add). He won't be trying to prove a point or anything, he'll just be wailing around like a dying seal for no reason at all at the beginning of the scene. That will get a huge laugh.Read more ›
My irritation with "Date Movie" comes from its absolute laziness in not even attempting to tell a story. Heck, it doesn't even fake it. No, apparently the sheer delight at seeing someone in a fat suit is supposed to carry us through an entire film. The gags are so random--and don't get me wrong, you might chuckle occasionally--they end up making no sense whatsoever. Have we gotten so jaded that we don't even expect a rudimentary storyline? It's sight gag, after sight gag, after sight gag--with a sound gag thrown in for variety. And it's not even as if these jokes are clever. By shooting at the easiest pop culture targets and liberally adding unnecessary bodily function humor--it's as if the filmmakers expected us to lap all their "hilarious" antics up.
There are talented people in the cast. Surely Alyson Hannigan (a star of the small screen) deserves better. But at least she, and the others, are game and throw themselves into the proceedings--but to little affect.Read more ›
Like fellow reviewers here have said, to simply take the plot from a movie and exagerate it does not equal parody. There is nothing subtle about this film, at all. The only humorous parts of the film are seen in the trailers. The majority of everything else can be skipped.
If you're expecting the so-called "unrated" edition to fill in the missing pieces and hope that it makes the film better, be warned. Whenever a PG-13 film becomes unrated, it normally means there were maybe one scene, one instance or so that caused it to touch the R rating and so that one scene, joke, word, or what have you was taken out. Still standing at around 85 minutes, this film won't be changed much. And, really, that's one minute more of your life wasted.
Speaking of a waste, I'd rather waste my time watching the movies emulated here or watch Not Another Teen Movie (and that's saying something) than watch this.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I enjoy humor that rides the line between silly and idiotic, and I liked the Scary Movie series (have seen several of them more than once) and many of the follow-ons. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Jim Foley
A satire that is both funny and tends to walk the fence on corny.Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
Good Communications. Great Product. Quick Service. Rated AAA+++. Thank You. BEGPublished 6 months ago by Barry G.
I love these king of movies that take jabs at the typical genre type of movies. Date Movie is one of those and don't get me wrong as with all of these movies it is hit and miss. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Russell S