This album is incredible. The mixing is brilliant, the pacing is exceptional, and the catchiness is undeniable.

Published 9 months ago by Josh O'Berski

3.0 out of 5 stars Bastardized version
Unlike the CD and digital versions of the album, the vinyl LP is missing two tracks. I was fairly upset when I found out "Stones" wasn't on it.
Published 10 months ago by TheAfterman

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time unless you don't have ears, in which case this album is good enough to make you consider a cochlear implant., November 19, 2013
Josh O'Berski (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moving Mountains [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)

The sound is something like Copeland (not Aaron) meets Deathcab for Cutie meets Lifehouse (stop laughing, I'm serious, and besides: their earlier stuff was good), which might overload your nostalgia, but whoa it is awesome. If what I just wrote doesn't even entice you a little, we probably don't share the same musical heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self titled LP Review, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Moving Mountains [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)
This is an album that will grow on you each time you listen to it, I made sure to give it at least 5 play throughs before I started to form any concrete opinions.

It is undoubtedly a shift in the musical feel of the band. A lot more emotionally driven melodies, and generally an atmospheric feel dominates the album when contrasted to the last two efforts. The instrumentation has taken on a much simpler composition which has helped them bring out different aspects like backing vocals, and when unique players like the chimes in "Burn Pile" are added they really stick out.

I think a primary goal they achieved is maintaining the feel of a whole album experience, by setting the tone with "Swing Set", having the more boisterous tracks in the middle, giving a taste of departure with "Under a Falling Sky" and using the lulling finishing tracks in "Apsides" and "Stones" to a great culminating effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Moving Mountains (LP+MP3) (Vinyl)
Perfect Shape! THANKS! The price was perfect and the item arrived quickly and in good conditions, or better...PERFECT conditions! thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick., October 23, 2013
This review is from: Moving Mountains [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)
Another excellently crafted album from some truly talented musicians. Relaxing, subtle, and smooth. Feels like a good cup of coffee!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bastardized version, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Moving Mountains (LP+MP3) (Vinyl)

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it., September 15, 2013
LT (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moving Mountains [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)
Moving Mountains returns to the scene with their third LP. Over the years I have listened to Pneuma, Foreword, and Waves many times. From Pneuma to Foreword the sound was similar, but amazing nonetheless. The songs were all generally long in duration and the tone was typically heavy. From Foreword to Waves they made a change. All of the songs on Waves were on average much shorter than the aforementioned releases, and took a step back in terms of how heavy they used to be. I still thoroughly enjoy Waves, and thought it worked well, but definitely missed the long epic songs. With their latest self titled LP, they take MANY steps back in terms of rocking the guitar, to make for a more subdued tone overall. Of the nine songs, only two were actually were more on the heavy side. Burn Pile, and Hudson. I didn't like Burn Pile at all, and Hudson to be okay. They both lacked the epic sound of the bands earlier work. The rest of the seven songs are pretty slow, putting more emphasis on the vocals instead. Of all the songs, I really only enjoyed Eastern Leaves. Even that was mainly due to the awesome, catchy end. The first half of it was pretty slow. Initially I listened to this album at the gym, expecting a rocking album to help me push through my workout. I will say if you were to purchase this album, temper your expectations for what they used to soundlike and you will get a pretty good album. I would just not recommend listening to it at the gym at all. I really feel bands feel obligated to drastically change over the course of time and I find that strange. Your early work is what captivated your fans, and then you change to such a tame sounded band? Please return to your roots Moving Mountains. -Loving fan

Rate and Discover Movies