5.0 out of 5 stars AMADEUS!
Published on June 16, 2011 by Saul Hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible documentation.
Published on March 4, 2011 by Dav Mar

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMADEUS!, June 16, 2011
Saul Hudson (Bronson, Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
Just received the boxed set today. My primary concerns were A) Missing discs, and B) Track listings. Every disc appears to be here upon an initial once-over and the tracks are both listed and numbered on every sleeve. I've played several discs and the performances vary from good to outstanding. I hope I'm not jinxing it, but I can't believe that this set sells for as little as it does. I know that this is the first day and I've got "Kid on Christmas" syndrome, so if anything goes wrong or I run into an issue, I will update this review immediately. But if you've been sitting around eyeballing this like I did for a month....pull the trigger. I've been grinning from ear to ear for hours. Also - so far, every disc I've loaded into iTunes had info on Gracenote...that was another concern. I wasn't looking forward to manually entering 170 discs of info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, with a few reservations, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
This extra-long shoebox of CDs is attractive and a remarkable value. I find it is useful to listen to everything Mozart wrote as I work through his biography. Much of the music is enjoyable, and the audio quality is remarkably good. The performances, mostly by lesser-known Dutch musicians, are competent and occasionally inspired.

But there are a few reasons not to get this. First, do you really want Mozart's juvenalia? Much of this work was written before he was 17, and is not particularly interesting. Sure, Mozart was a prodigy who wrote remarkably well for a 12-year-old, but the quality of most of those early works is far inferior to his adult work. There are many discs here that I will not listen to twice.

Second, the quality of a performance really does matter. For instance, Klara Wurtz's performances of the piano sonatas here are truly outstanding. And most of the chamber performances are quite good. But some of the symphonies and opera performances are merely competent. Jap Ter Linden's version of Symphony No. 36 in this set pales in comparison to Bernstein's. Linden's orchestra sounds smaller (perhaps it is just a chamber orchestra), and the music sounds much less elegant and expressive. This is not a minor difference; it is like listening to different piece of music.

If you want an outrageously cheap, but overwhelming, introduction to Mozart's music, this is great. But if what you really want are outstanding versions of Mozart's 20 or 30 best works, it makes more sense to pay more for individual recordings elsewhere. For my purposes, I am very happy I purchased this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible documentation., March 4, 2011
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set)While the quality of the performances on this set may rate highly the documentation is a total disaster. There are multiple CD's on which the track listings on the cardboard liners does not match the actual track count or track titles of the enclosed CD. There is a CD-ROM with the set that could have offered a chance to provide an up to date and correct listing but is is also useless. On the CD-ROM the set is divided by Volume and CD, i.e. Volume III CD 9, unfortunately none of the actual CD's has any volume number, they are simply numbered consecutively CD1 through CD170, therefore there is no practical way to relate the extensive descriptions and notes on the CD-ROM with the actual CD's. Good luck figuring out what you are actually listening to if you purchase this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, October 17, 2013
Jim (Jacksonville, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
I have little to add to the existing reviews. I've put all 171 (not 170) CDs in a Sony carousel player and have been playing them almost continuously for a week. I'm only on disk 95. I would say the engineering reminds me of the old Mercury no-nonsense recordings made with two or three top quality microphones. The ensemble sound is well blended without being muddy or lacking in detail. Nearly perfect.

I can't pretend I've paid close attention to every performance, but every time I stop to listen, the performances have been very good to excellent. The recording project must have been huge, but no one sounds bored or boring. I've done a bit of singing, including the Requiem, and these performers sound like they love the music.

I have heard quite a few budget classical recordings that wouldn't merit saying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Complete, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
Though this collection seems pricey, if you're a Mozart fiend like I am, then this is a must have for any collection. I also have Chopin's complete works, which I'll review separately. Keep in mind that this is a massive collection, of which you may want to play or just keep as it may appreciate in value. I had read somewhere that they may be discontinuing this set. iTunes has a similar, though not as complete collection of Mozart's pieces. I own both, but can say that if you have the patience of backing up the 100+ cds for your iPod or Zune, it is well worth it.

This collection also sheds light on some previously rarely heard pieces by Mozart.

I tend to like complete collections for everything, so I did put all of these on my iPod. I think it took up about 14 gigs. Give it a try if you're a fan of Mozart's wide cannon of pieces. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars I have enjoyed every one so far., April 13, 2012
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
Are these the best versions of each piece available? No. But I am about one fourth the way through the collection and I would rate all that I have heard so far as very good to excellent. For about the price for two of my normal seats at the symphony, I got all of Mozart's works. I think that it is a fantastic deal, and I would buy them again in a heartbeat. I previously had around 25 hand picked Mozart disks that probably averaged $9 each and I would have to say that this collection is a much better deal. If for no other reason than to get some of the lesser known pieces to round out your repertoire, I would recommend this collection. I am looking forward to listening to every disk, I am even starting to appreciate Opera.

5.0 out of 5 stars see below, August 31, 2013
i love the collection,
however, so far i have heard about 30 CDs out of which around 5 CDs have faults in the tape
I am not sure how Amazon will be able to fix the issue as I believe it to be impractical
it would have been better if Amozon under its quality assurance checked these CDs before putting them on offer on the web

I intended to purchase other CDs but this experience has forced me into reconsidering the decision and purchase the CD locally to ensure no further issues
regards
edris

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Mozart, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
I love Mozart and finally have this wonderful collection of all of his pieces. Now I have more than just what I've been able to come across. Now I've finally stop looking for all of his music. I have it here in my home one collection of everything he has ever composed and brought to our ears to hear. Truly this man understood what music should truly sound in the brain to make us function more properly like we should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and great, October 9, 2012
C (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
Picked this brick up at a store going-out-of-business sale for $40.

Possibly the best forty bucks I've ever spent. After import, iTunes tells me I have 6.2 days of Mozart or something ridiculous. It's been on shuffle by disc for three weeks and no sign of turning it off.

Really good. Documentation is a pain in the butt, admittedly, but I'm not enough of an aficionado to want to find a specific title so it doesn't matter much to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars If In Doubt...Buy It, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) (Audio CD)
While this might not be the most helpful review, I will simply say this:

Like many, Mozart is a favorite of mine. I not only like music, I also enjoy the history of music and musicians. This set - at its incredibly affordable price (70 cents per disc!) - allows me to put a 'face' on every piece of Mozart's music about which I've read. I am enjoying this by listening to it in as close to chronological order as I am able to figure out through my reading. Thus far the sound quality has been more than adequate, as are the performances.

Again...if you are on the fence - go for it. One never knows when the opportunity will disappear or increase greatly in price.

PjP