Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 1, 2000
Karajan's conducting of divertimentos KV136-138 is superior one. Tempos, accents, phrasing are excellent and playing of BPO strings are the best. The performance is inspired one. Also the performance of Serenata Noturna KV 239 is lustrous too. As to Eine Kleine Nachtmusic KV 525 the performance is interesting especially by the final part where at coda the conductor accents a counterpoint which for an instant turns this music by dark side reminding us of the Don Giovanni final. Among the recordings to compete with discussed above I can mention the Ton Koopman's recording of KV 136-138 on periodic instruments (Erato) and another later Karajan's recording of KV 525 (Polygram).
on October 28, 2002
Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik has always been a favorite piece, and I was overjoyed to find this recording conducted by my favorite conductor, Herbert Von Karajan. Karajan's brilliant conducting once again inspires the Berliner Philharmoniker to perform beautifully.
Karl Bohm said of Mozart's music "It has the effect of a fountain of youth," and that is the best way to describe these works. I always find my spirits lifted, my mind rejuvenated when listening to these performances.
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is done here by the BPO as well as I have ever heard it done, and is the gem of this CD. Seranata Notturna is equally impressive. The three Divertimentos are wonderful performances as well.
Deutsche Grammaphon's fantastic digital mastering allows you to enjoy every note, with virtually no tape hiss, etc.- a tremendous feat considering that these performances were recorded in 1966 and 1968!
This collection of some of Mozart's most beautiful compositions would make a wonderful addition to any library of classical music.
on January 26, 2013
There's not much else to say except that Karajan does a magnificent job with it. Great listening!! A point of trivia: for those who remember the 1995 movie, The Net, with Sandra Bullock, the music of "Mozart's Ghost," is Serenade #13 of Eine Kleine.
on March 18, 2011
Most times you like only a few tracks and the rest you don't bother listening too. I have little luck when I buy classical music. You have to know your music first before you buy. I knew nothing of Mozart's music. But a while back I heard Eine Kleine Nacht Musik in a movie, I also remember it in ALIEN. So, I took a chance on this CD. It was a great buy. I love the entire collection. I am now a Mozart fan. The sound mix was superb, with the full range. The performance is world class. I highly recommend this CD.
on May 30, 2007
I do not know where one would find a better rendition of these works. I doubt one exists. Wonderfull.
on May 3, 2013
This recording is a great disappointment. The sound is muddled as if the orchestra is way too large for these delicate pieces. The best is the Serenata Notturna because the solo instruments stand out. Apart from this there is no crispness whatsoever. I don't know if it is the poor recording technique, orchestra size or what, but I expected something much better from Deutsche Grammophone and the Berlin Philharmonic.
on December 19, 2012
Basic Mozart conducted by a master. Besides, it's always a pleasure to listen to Mozart, and the Divertimentos are, after all, designed to divert and charm.
on August 10, 2010
This version of Kleine Nachtmusic, with Von Karajan as dirigent is Awesome!
Healing for the soul!
on November 11, 2014
I prefer Karl Bohm's version, the large orchestra took something out of the softness of the eine kleine nachtmusik, sereneta notturna is fine, but still, Bohm is better
on May 28, 2014
The music is nicely done. I needed a CD to replace the old phonograph record Good music for creative thinking.