4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straight forward solution for power outages
This lighting system provides a functional, but very basic purpose: If the power goes out in your home or workplace, designated, wirelessly linked lights come on. Keep in mind that the lights will be activated whether it is dark or daylight.

Published 18 months ago by MW

3.0 out of 5 stars Hubby was really Impressed
Published 18 months ago by BBMoreB

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straight forward solution for power outages, December 29, 2012
MW (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr. Beams MB280 ReadyBright Wireless Power Outage LED Whole House Lighting System (Tools & Home Improvement)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

How does it do this? The "kit" comes with three ceiling lights, which mount just like smoke detectors, and three "path," or side lights. The ceiling lights require four C batteries each, and the path lights require four AA batteries each (none of these are included).

The controller for these lights, which looks like a small television remote, takes rechargeable batteries, which are included. The controller plugs into an outlet, and when the power goes off, it triggers the six lights to come on throughout the house.

To test the system, the remote can be pulled from the outlet to simulate a power outage. Note that the remote also lights up when a power outage occurs, and can act as a flashlight. Once the remote gets power again (the power comes back on, or you plug it back in after your test), all the lights go back off. You can also turn the lights on and off from the remote itself

Keep in mind that although Mr. Beams makes motion sensor lights, these do not have an option to be activated by motion and, as stated earlier, they do not have light sensors that keep them from coming on when the room is already well lit. The power goes off and the lights come on....period.

A few other things to note:

1) Quality-wise they are okay, but don't expect much. They are hard plastic and will undoubtedly break if dropped. The ceiling lights have a barely noticeable thin rubber ring around the inside, and with my set, when inserting the batteries I noticed that this was coming off of one of them and I could not get it properly re-seated.

2) As far as range goes, they are excellent. I have a two-story house with a concrete second floor. I placed one light at the far end, upstairs, well away from the remote, which was downstairs, and it triggered the light without any problem.

3) They are plenty bright for their purpose. If you place them properly (I turned off all the lights in my house and made it pitch dark to do this), they will give off more than enough light for you to make your way around the house to seek a more powerful flashlight, a camping lantern, etc., allowing you to avoid stubbing your toe or falling across furniture. No, your house will not be lit up just like the power came back on, and don't expect the remote to act as a 200 lumen flashlight....but then again, that is not really their intended purpose.

Overall, this system serves a very useful and practical solution for power outages. I live in South Florida, and as hurricane season comes back around I may get to test them out for real.....but I hope not!

If things change in any way I will update the review, but from my experience with them so far I do recommend them if you are looking for a low-cost emergency lighting system for your home.

Also...if you decide to vote this review down for whatever reason, would you please leave a note as to why? I try to be as complete and objective as I can, and feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars I got the last laugh!!!, February 2, 2013
I bought this as a gift to myself on my birthday last August much to my husbands annoyance.I installed it in September while he laughed at me for being paranoid....and in October superstorm sandy hit. Our home was damaged but we could still live there. The fact that we had no power for 22 days did not bother us too much because we had plenty of light!!!! My neighbors were a little confused because when the sun went down....we were lit. Now...I will say you'll need a little more than a full set (2 rounds in a large living room) and a good supply of c batteries for long outages. Also we found that even though they are bright you got more light when you hang them high on a wall so the light bounces as opposed to the ceiling. The funny thing is in the flood my husband lost all of the flashlights he had stored away due to the flooding. We never had to look for the Mr beams....they w.ere there when we needed them most

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, December 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple months ago, my power was out for 28 hours due to a single tree falling a mile and a half, and two subdivisions away. It gets real dark when there isn't even the indirect glow of street lights in the house! So when I got a chance to review this product, I jumped-up (and shouted, "Why could you have brought this to me three months ago!")

The kit I got included three ceiling lights, three path lights and one control unit. The control unit comes with a rechargeable battery similar to a cordless phone, but the lights use regular alkaline batteries.

(Don't use rechargeables in the lights. They need the full amperage of the alkaline batteries. Treat these lights as you would a smoke detector in that regard.)

The ceiling lights each use four C batteries, and the path lights each use four AA batteries. So right off the bat, that's another $20-25 you'll need to spend.

The ceiling lights are similar in design to many smoke detectors. You mount a plastic plate on the wall or ceiling, and then twist the unit onto the mounting plate. But with four C batteries in them, they're on the heavy side, and those screws and anchors are pretty small! I'd advise mounting high on the wall rather than the ceiling. If you do put them on the ceiling, make sure it's someplace where they won't do much damage if they fall.

The path lights have small plastic plates that you can mount to the wall, and the units essentially then hang from two small hooks. They also include a piece of double-sided tape for indoor installations where you don't want to permanently mount them, but even though the path lights are very light, I wouldn't trust double-sided tape.

The ceiling lights put out considerably more light than the path lights do, but that's to be expected since the C batteries are bigger than the AA batteries. The light from the path lights is very directional, too. Neither are bright enough that reading a book is going to be comfortable, but they will help you get around the house, and read the phone book to get the power company's phone number.

The remote control also doubles as a flashlight, and it lights immediately upon loosing power, too. You can turn off the flashlight independently of the rest of the lights, and technically you could light just the flashlight, and turn off the other lights, but that doesn't seem practical to me.

It took a long time to install the batteries in all the lights because the all have screws holding them closed. The ceiling lights each have one screw, and for some unknown reason, the smaller path light each have two screws. On the plus side, they're big-headed screws that you could use a coin on.

The remote control comes with the rechargeable battery not yet installed. One electronics-type screw holds the battery compartment, so a full-sized screwdriver is too big. Now... here's where I ran into the biggest problem. The socket that the pig-tail of the battery plugs into is mounted on a circuit board, and on the unit I got, it was mounted askew, and partially under the frame. That meant I needed to disassemble the entire remote, and break it all apart just to plug in the battery. And in the future, when it needs to be replaced (my guess is five or six years from now), I'll have to do the same.

So after installing all the batteries, I decided to test them. I had them all sitting on the counter while I plugged the remote control into the wall, and then removed it. Five of the six lights came on immediately. Using the buttons on the control, I was able to turn them off, and then back on. All six worked then, and all six have worked on each test I've performed after that, including those done after deploying the lights around the house.

So essentially, everything performs as expected.

The downsides are: 1) Questionable ceiling mounts for the weight of the units, 2) The additional cost of all the batteries, 3) The inconvenience of all the screws to get into the battery compartments, and 4) The askew mounting of the battery socket on the remote control, requiring complete dis assembly to install the battery.

I considered giving a rating of four stars, but frankly, none of those reasons, even together, is enough to outweigh the fact that the kit works exactly as it is supposed to work. So five stars it is.

Also, if you need extra ceiling or path lights, you can add as many as you want. There's no limit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, November 20, 2011
Just installed the product so I cannot rate durability, but I can say that I am impressed by the design and construction. Yes, you will pay a little more for this system, but it provides you with the ability to service the batteries in every piece of equipment. Many other products have sealed internal batteries which, once they fail, cannot be easily replaced if they can even be replaced. Solid construction and a nice feel to the switches on the control unit. I am not a person easily impressed, but this is a good American built product at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool product, works as advertised..., November 1, 2012
By chance I purchased this before Hurricane Sandy hit. The power thankfully only went out for about 30 seconds, but the lights kicked on immediately around the house. Easy to setup and use. While it worked out, I sort of wished that the stair illuminating (vice the ceiling)units would plug into the wall and charge like the remote. But that said I was able to put one in a very creative spot that wouldn't have worked if it was a plug in unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is perfect--did exactly what I needed it to do., January 5, 2013
Power went out during Sandy and on came Mr. Beams! We used the hand-held flashlight for 4 days and turned on the spots whenever we needed them. Never ran out of battery power. Bought this set of Mr. Beams for family and friends--but kept it because I'm selfish. Great product, affordable, straight-forward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, January 8, 2013
This product is the best I have seen for power outages short of a commercial product and is almost perfect.

Here is how this product works:

There are 3 overhead units and 3 path lights (led) and 1 main control unit.

The over head lights run off 4 C batteries each and the path lights run on 4 AA. The main control unit has a recharable battery similiar to what home phones use and plugs into an a/c outlet. The control unit has 3 buttons 1 is to turn on all the lights 1 is to turn off all the lights and 1 is just to control the light on the control unit itself.

When the power goes out the control unit auto turns on all the units and itself. From my understanding ,and I have not tested this, if you don't do anything to the control unit when the power goes out in 30 minutes the system turns off.

Where I feel this product falls short is the main control unit. This is the only unit not powered with off the shelf batteries. It has a rechargeable battery and also doubles as a flashlight. With just these 2 facts the problem becomes apparent? what if I use the flashlight to much or the morning after a power loss you accidentally leave it on and kill the battery? The other units have no manual on and off switch so they are of no use anymore. Also the battery may be hard to find in a couple years. Now with that said it is not that big of a deal but you can see where it comes really close to perfect. Imagine if the main unit had rechargeable AA batteries that you can find in almost any store. Currently some Panasonic phones are running off rechargeable AA batteries that can be replaced.

If you are wondering about the brightness. The overhead lights are bright enough to easily make out everything in a big living room or if you are directly under it you could read. the path light could light a spare room enough so that if you tried you could make out where everything is but could not get detail on anything. Hope this helps

Note: I got a bad overhead light and had to return it for a replacement

EDIT: 6-15_2014
I noticed two of the path lights have the red light on indicating that the batteries needs replacement. It has been a little over a year and I used Duracell batteries. I checked with a meter and the batteries were reading 1.12 V . So it seems that there is a draw on the batteries even when not in use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hubby was really Impressed, January 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We live in a very populated area with mostly underground power lines. This does tend to reduce but not eliminate the number of power outages we experience. Twice we have had power outages due to neighbor negligee -thankfully both were short outages. These lights are perfect for those situations; they are not intended for more long-term outages - lastly days. The entire set runs on 12 AA & 12 C batteries; you will need to replace these regularly; the remote has a rechargeable battery.

The way we set our system up was pretty simple (1) the flashlight/remote/detector plugs into an outlet next to our bed, (2) we were only able to use 2 of the path lights in the hallway outside our bedroom and the other in our the utility closet, (3) we used the 3 ceiling lights our bedroom, kitchen, living room.

The hubby used the mounting brackets and had them installed in about 30 minutes. You can add additional lights to the same detector.

Question for the manufacturer: Can you change the bulb? The 3rd path light never worked; we believe that bulb is bad.
Would've been 4 stars had all of them worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea with?, January 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
GOOD: The Beam wireless system is great for us who have frequent power outages. The LED technology used in the floor & ceiling units give adequate light with battery power. The system comes with 3 ceiling & 3 floor units that allow you to cover a lot of area. This set works for my 2200 sq. ft. home. The wall plug in unit is the best feature of all since it allows you to control on/off as well as being a good little flashlight.
LIMITS: When power has gone off not all my units came on immediately, but did come on when I pushed the controll units "on" function. All lights are on or all are off (except for the controll unit). I wish they had a light detector in each unit so if extra light is not needed that unit would stay off. In the daytime when power goes off not all areas are dark but all the units burn. The other helfull feature would be a third prong "ground" unit on the plug to stabilize the control unit. with just the 2 prongs that form the power connection the unit droops from it's weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel safer now!, March 22, 2014
Stephen C. Holtzman (Bainsville, Ontario. Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased these on a WOOT special and got two sets for my home. I just installed them today 6 ceiling and 6 stair/wall lights. Yes the amount of batteries to fill all of these was expensive, but I do not care. I just turn them on as it is night time and dark. Wow I am so glad that I purchased these. I feel much safer now. No more fueling for lights, not more wording about walking around at night when the power goes out! They are great and enough light for emergencies! I highly recommend them!

Rate and Discover Movies