5.0 out of 5 stars Great bar guide in a quality package

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it sounds
I was disappointed!
Published 1 month ago by Fred Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bar guide in a quality package, February 21, 2007
This review is from: Mr. Boston: 1,500 Recipes, Tools, and Techniques for the Master Mixologist (Spiral-bound)
I was originally looking for a "regular" Mr. Boston book to arm myself with drink recipes for the occasional entertaining my wife and I do at our home. The book had been recommended to me by several friends as being the best bar guide available so I came to Amazon to begin my search. It was here I discovered Mr. Boston Platinum Edition. I ordered the book, it arrived quickly and I'm very impressed.

The book contains a lot more information than just drink recipes. It is an intersesting read and I was surprised to see a history of the origin of a lot of popular drinks. I love a good Manhattan and now I know the city, the "inventor" and the bar where this drink was developed. I also know the difference in the ingredients, what makes whiskey bourbon, rye, etc.

Many of the drinks in Mr. Boston have variations and they are listed with the reasons for the differences. I even know why a drink should be either shaken or stirred.

What I really like besides all the recipes is the section on essential home bar equipment. I have already looked at the web sites suggested in the book and started to order the equipment I need to outfit our new home bar.

The recipes have been contributed by many professional "mixologists" and it is evident that they take pride in their profession.

The book itself is very nice looking and well constructed. The ringed binder is sturdy and the book lay flat so I can read it while my hands are full of bottles and strainers.

This is the perfect book for me, being a beginner, and I highly recommend it for the home bar owner or for professional bartenter who is interested in the right way or a new way to mix a drink and arming himself with many interesting facts to relate to his customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused by two editions, March 6, 2011
Which edition is more recent and more complete? I thought it would be the Platinum Edition. I ordered it and am happy with it. Turns out I was wrong. This was published in 2006. The "Official Guide" edition in 2008 is of course more recent. All the photos are by a different photographer. The lead editor is the same. The later edition is slightly expanded and completely redesigned. I'm left wondering what imrpovements I am missing. The wire-o bound Platinum edition costs more and lies flat. I am assuming the other edition is not wire-o bound. As a beverage and food photographer, I am almost inclined to purchase the other edition so I can compare the photos (and the contents). If you don't care about the book lying flat, order the later edition. Save a little money and get the tweaks and slightly expanded content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's something you wouldn't know from the description, April 30, 2007
World-famous cocktailian Robert Hess was a "behind the scene" contributor to this book. He wrote the "Classic Cocktails" section. Other contributors include Jeffery Lindenmuth, David Wondrich, Audrey Saunders, Julie Reiner, Gary Regan, Dale DeGroff, and William Grimes.

Update your library now with this substantially improved new edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome present for my boyfriend, December 21, 2009
My boyfriend loves to make mixed drinks and this was a nice gift to give him. It is spiral bound on the inside of the thick cover, which is actually a good thing because it means that the book will stay open when you put it down flat on a table. Highly recommended, fun book especially for the $$

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it sounds, July 4, 2014
I was disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars great gift, June 3, 2014
I bought this book for my boyfriend's birthday. He had asked for a drink bible since getting his own apartment and he loves it. This one seemed the best for the beginner bartender. My dad works in food service and we have an old Mr. Boston from when he worked with a hotel. The pictures are nice and the book lying flat was a big selling point for me. There is a newer version of the book, but it was about 2 years difference. Using the look inside feature, the books seemed to be the same minus the ability to lie flat and the pictures. Overall a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Bartenders best friend!, May 17, 2014
I purchased this for my daughters boyfriend on his 21st birthday. He was in training to become a bar tender. He has used this book for 2 years, the pages are stuck together and everyone behind the bar uses it. This new copy will be his to keep and he will leave the old copy behind for his co-workers. He now has a job as the head bartender in a different bar and is very pleased with the new edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars used it 20 years ago for my test at harvard hasent changed!, April 24, 2014
when you got to know how mix New England drinks its right on but when you head west the left coast does everything differnt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Boston Platinum Edition Bar Book, April 8, 2014
I love this book. I bought this for my nephew for his 21st birthday and I liked it so much I bought myself one. It's a spiral book so it lays flat while you read and/or prepare your drinks. It's so much fun to see what you could do with different kinds of alcohol combinations, some with fruit, cream, champagne, juices, ect. My friends and I try to get together for a "specialty" drink night when we can just for fun. Also, if you don't have a blender, get one! Some of these are just too good to pass up if you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, February 28, 2014
This is a great cocktail book, it's perfect for using at the bar because it's more like a binder with inserts than a book. I haven't tried all 1500 recipes yet but I am looking forward to expirmenting with my collection.

Mr. Boston: 1,500 Recipes, Tools, and Techniques for the Master Mixologist