Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mr. Christmas Lights and Sounds of Christmas, Outdoor
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 10, 2012
Ok I have had 3 of these now, and they were all great. They are a little cheezy, but if you are careful with your setup, they are amazing. The only reason I deducted 1 star is because the songs are a bit lame, and no option to input from stereo or MP3 player. I burned up the first one ( my fault, tried to run some big 100W floodlights...) I gave the 2nd one away when I saw they had the 40 song version 2 years ago. Specs say it is rated for 12.0 amps, with a max of 3 amps per channel, and there are 6 channels total. I have run this thing at full 13 amps for 2 years 30 days at a time and still going strong. Here are my tips to make it awesome. I will try to post a video later so you can see the effects. We have the best dispay for miles around!
1. I used a amp-clamp meter to carefully test the current of each channel, making sure to not go over the 3 amps limit. I just keep adding lights to each channel until I get to the limit. We have a modest 2 story house, and covered the roofs with incandescent icicle lights (very power hungry) and a bunch of LED lights on trees and shrubs.
2. forget any blinking or color-changing lights, get the best steady-state lights you can find, and let the controller do the flashing.
3. Get a set of (6) six short 3 way extension cords. plug the 3 way cords into the single outlets on your controller. This gives you three outlets for each channel.
4. IMPORTANT - you need a LOT of high quality extension cords to make a good layout. You need to 'home run' each separate object back to the controller, so each object can be powered by a different channel. Do not get lazy and start connecting all of your lights together, or you will overload the 3 amp fuses in each channel. The more separate small objects you have, the better the light show!
5. I tapped into the speaker wire, and installed a 1/8" mono audio jack. Then connected a 1/8" mono extension cable to a FM transmitter (lots to choose from here on AMZ) and put a sign in your front yard that reads "stop and listen, tune to 99.1FM" then turn the speaker down to be just audible to people walking by. The traffic on our street has slowed dramatically, and the neighbors dont complain about hearing the endless loop of Xmas tunes. Everybody loves it!
6. The channels are prioritized in pairs; channels 1 & 2 are the most active, and play against each other. Channels 3 & 4 are the next most active, 5 & 6 are the least active. So make channels 1/2 the biggest part of your display (roof icicle lights) make channels 3/4 the bigger trees and fence lines, and channels 5/6 smaller bushes, or in our case a big peace sign and cross up on the sides of the house.
7. And most importantly, spread the channels around a bit; for example channel 1 is the left side of the roof, AND some trees way over to the right. Cahnnel 2 is the right side of the roof, and the fence and bushes over to the left. the effect of different objects, flashing back and forth is amazing. this is where the hard work comes in, spend some time really planning your layout to alternate side to side, high to low front to back, it is worth it!
8. After you have come up with the perfect setup WRITE IT DOWN! Make a sheet showing what object get plugged into each channel, you will save time and blown fuses later.
Hope this helps! Enjoy...
44 comments|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
I bought this unit this year (2011) and was surprised at how easy it is to set up and how well it works. I haven't had any problems at all with it. I opened it up and soldered an additional speaker wire to the existing speaker wires and ran that wire closer to the street and added an additional speaker for better and louder sound. I do plan on adding an FM transmitter next year, as others have done so that passers by can tune in their car radios to hear it. The video is a video of my home with the Mr. Christmas.
55 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2008
This thing totally rocks. I paid [...] at costco. I opened it up and spliced into the speaker wires to run a shielded cable out the bottom of it. I then plugged that cable into a [...] fm ipod transmitter that was on clearance at target and I now have a sign on my front lawn that says "tune in to 89.3FM" so people can hear the music in their cars as the light show is displayed. The music sounds so much better on a car stereo than that little 4" speaker in a plastic cabinet that comes with it. I have 6 different light areas plugged into the system, and the unit itself works great. For less than [...] I have the sweetest set up on my block, really in the neighborhood lol. At the suggestion of a friend of mine, I even set up a box with "donations" on it, and over the past 6 days I have almost made my money back!!!
If you know what you are doing, this thing totally rocks!!!
review image review image review image
1010 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2011
We bought this four years ago at Costco. After setting it up for the first time, we were thrilled with the effects it provides. Neighbors and other residents of our community frequently stopped to watch, and many complemented us on our display. Our grandkids really enjoyed it.
Alas, after four seasons of problem-free use, this year it developed some bugs. After initial setup, it worked fine for the first night. Then, inextricably, it quit making music. The lights still work, in fact they even flash to the music - but no music.
When it works - it's great. But why do so many electronic items quit after a far too short time?
Annoying, disappointing, and a questionable expenditure in my opinion.
Someone needs to make these things that can last far longer. Until then, we will miss the music controlling the light show. Wonder how much longer it will control the lights?
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2007
this is the perfect acessorie for your light displays and also plays
christmas music?!terrific!!!!!
on December 25, 2007
This item made our house the talk of the neigborhood, lots of fun, and a joy to watch the display
on January 12, 2014
I am very pleased with this product. Neighborhood people made a special trip by my house to look at and listen to the show. A valuable purchase in my opinion as I had lost the spirit after kids grew up and left home.
on November 29, 2010
I've owned this item for 4 seasons and it's proven to be not only novel, but durable as well.

My neighborhood has a light show/contest amongst the residents for the best house in Stafford Park, and this device has made my house stand out.

It's basically a 6 channel controller, and after much experimentation, this year I think I've figured out the best way to make this work. The way this device works, it turns the power off and on, synchronized to music, on 6 different outlets that you plug your lights into. Since the lights go off to whatever you have plugged in, it leaves dark areas of your yard when another section lights up. What I did this year (video to post in the future) is to put dual strands on one lighting element (like a bush) plugged into separate channels. This way instead of one thing turning off while another, different element turns on; I have the same element switch from green lights to red lights. This makes a more intense and larger impact to your show, but it reduces the number of elements you can have switching off and on.

This is an example of what I did a few years ago:
[...]
[...]

The only thing I'm disappointed with is that there isn't a way to add new songs, and the speaker; while loud enough, isn't of the best quality in terms of sound reproduction. At higher volumes, it is prone to distortion.
on December 26, 2014
Great!! everyone loves it had the decorations dancing to the music!! the lights were going the same way I think the whole neighborhood enjoyed it including others!
review image
on December 7, 2009
I've had this for about 3 years now and the only thing I found wrong with it is they put an 8 amp fuse in the unit so I started having problems the second year that I owned it. I added a few thousand more mini lights and the unit would kick out. The unit should have a 12 amp fuse. when I called to complain the company gave me the run around saying it was out of warranty. I just went out and bought 12 amp ceramic fuses,screw them. But is really works and the Christmas music is loud enough if you want. I like it.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse