1,288 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I do it my way ... and save money at the same time
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:24 Mins
Published on November 3, 2011 by Alex S

Interesting engineering concept for a coffee/espresso machine. It made great lattes for the first month and then lost it's ability to make a good drink at all. In fact, I believe I have unknowingly been drinking plastic for the past few weeks.

Published 6 months ago by Erica Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars I do it my way ... and save money at the same time, November 3, 2011
Length:: 6:24 Mins

I have been using the Mr. Coffee BVMC-FM1 20-Ounce Frappe Maker for quite some time, but have always wished that I could have something warm for winter. I did purchase a hot chocolate maker, but wasn't really happy with it. Back to Basics CM300BR Cocoa-Latte Chrome 32-Ounce Hot-Drink Maker it is very nice for a crowd, but not so great for one person.

So this particular item has made a big hit in my kitchen. It is easy to use, easy to set up, and I can use my own ingredients and have as many lattes as I want. The only problem I have had so far is that I have had to buy more milk ... I was making too many lattes.

As you will see in the video, the pot contains its own heating element. There are several things to consider. First, it automatically shuts off and never burns the milk. At the same time, it can't be cleaned in the dishwasher (although I never clean my coffee pots that way), and second, if the pot is broken, it cannot be cheaply replaced. So there are both good points and bad points.

In the video, I use the Torani Sugar-Free Syrup, Chocolate, 25.4-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3) which I actually purchased from Amazon in a Gold Box deal last year. I put in one tablespoon, but if you prefer a sweeter latte, you can use a package of equal or two tablespoons. You can also use "real" chocolate, but as a diabetic, one of the key reasons I enjoy my own makers, besides saving money, is being able to make my own choices.

Besides the chocolate latte I made in the video, I have also made a number of recipes that were included. The pumpkin spice one was awesome. I had purchased one at a local shop the morning my machine arrived, and I found this one to be much better. I used the pumpkin pie spice and a tablespoon of pumpkin, plus a package of Equal, along with the milk.

When the snowstorm hit, I made hot chocolate, using the heat and froth setting, and made an awesome hot chocolate. I made a double, and after I finished my first cup, I hit froth and heat again, and had another perfect cup!

In fact, I have learned that I might as well make two cups when I start, since I always go back for more. Since the pot does not remain heating, the milk doesn't burn, and a quick "heat and froth" warms it quickly. Because of the milk, I wouldn't leave it sit for long, but I tend to drink my first cup pretty quickly.

Now that it is cold, I am grateful for the ability to make my own WARM drinks. While I've only had this one a short time, my Frappe maker has lasted through nearly two years of usage, so I anticipate this one will last a long time as well.

The video will show you exactly what this machine does, so if you are a coffee gourmet, you can decide if this is the kind of machine you want in your kitchen.

For those who are concerned about cleaning, I normally wipe it out with a soapy sponge right after I use it. If I want a deeper cleaning, I put a dab of dish soap in it and put it on heat and froth ... it cleans up beautifully.

EDITED ...

While unpacking, I ran across something I used to use for a similar effect, but had long ago forgotten. If you aren't quite ready to splurge on the price of an entire machine, you might want to consider the Aerolatte Milk Frother, Satin. This little gadget will froth your milk, or combination of coffee and milk, or any other combination, and runs about 1/5 of the price of the latte maker. Plus it fits in your drawer.

While I enjoy the convenience of having the machine (turn it on, come back), some of you might want to consider the frother itself. It is identical to the one in the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast one-step Latte machine that also makes regular coffee!, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
I started out looking for a machine to replace my coffee maker that broke and stumbled across this one that can do both latte's as well as make regular coffee, even though Mr. Coffee apparently hasn't caught on to this fact yet! In my opinion, their marketing department needs to get with it. I'll explain this more further down but wanted to first mention where this machine excels.

With other latte machines you have to manually steam and froth the milk, which means a lot of work and headache cleaning up afterwards (I could never get all the milk out of the steam pipe, which gets clogged up over time). This machine pays for itself by allowing you to skip all of that hassle and letting the machine do all the work. Cleanup is literally a snap. Now the die hard espresso-heads will say it's not quite the same flavor because you don't technically make the espresso steamed, but if you did a blind taste test you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I use 2% fat, lactose free milk because I'm lactose intolerant and it makes a lot of creamy froth! I also use Starbucks ground coffee beans and it tastes great but if you wanted a stronger flavor you could use espresso ground beans.

Mr. Coffee does include some recipes to make mocha, peppermint, hot chocolate and many other latte flavors but surprisingly they omitted one of the best and most frequent recipes that this machine does very well and that is making regular coffee, or to call it by its European name "Caffe Americano"! The name has its origins in World War 2 when American GIs in Europe would pour hot water into an espresso to approximate the coffee to which they were used to. It was then adapted in the United States by large chains who sought to create a marketable fusion of drip coffee and espresso to sell to a mass market. Although this machine does not technically make espresso, it approximates it quite well and I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Caffe Americano I make with this machine and the regular coffee maker I had that recently passed away. After experimenting for a few days, here's how to do it.

My morning ritual is to have one large 16oz cup of coffee and I could only justify the expense of this machine if it would handle both latte's and my regular morning coffee. I really didn't want two separate machines if I could avoid it. So after playing around with different quantities, I found this recipe for Caffe Americano works best. Use 3 tablespoons of regular coffee grounds (more if you like it real strong or you can substitute espresso or other dark roast beans). Fill the upper drip chamber with water to the SECOND line, and fill the carafe with water up to the FIRST line. This combination allows you to have the most water possible passing through the drip chamber. Press the lever to start and in a few minutes you will have a wonderful 16oz cup of hot coffee! Since you are not using milk, you don't have to worry about the wisk frothing the coffee. It does not. It is exactly like a normal cup of regular coffee that we here in America are used to.

I hope that Mr. Coffee will start to include Caffe Americano in their marketing and recipes because to me, this is an obvious oversight on their part. The coffee quality is very good and I think most people like me would appreciate having a machine that can do everything all in one unit. I hope this helps the die-hard coffee drinkers out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I expected, but works good., October 14, 2011
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
Overall, I am satisfied. Pros: There are many different variations/recipes you can make which is useful, and it also makes good hot chocolate/chai lattes. The drinks come out extra hot (a plus for me since I take my drinks on the go) and they are easy to make. It makes the equivalent of two 16 oz lattes. Machine is comparatively affordable to others like it. Cons: I was disappointed to find out that it does not make a true latte. What this machine makes is properly called a cafe au lait. The difference is that a latte uses steam-driven espresso, while a cafe au lait uses drip coffee (which this does). Although some people may argue the difference, if your a hardcore espresso fan you know, as an au lait lacks the intensity of espresso. Also, the frother is not steam-driven - it basically whisks the milk to foam. This is not suitable for creating the silky coffeehouse- style foam that many are used to. The only other way I can think to make it better is to make it programmable. As an espresso lover, I have a full-fledged espresso maker at home (which takes time to make drinks) and I bought this to save time and money on my daily drinks. It does do that. It works like it says it does and although it's not the best latte i've had, i've certainly had worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Lattes Made Easy, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
I was never a regular coffee drinker (a half a cup now and then when I need a pick me up), however, once I tried a Starbucks' latte I was hooked. I tried lattes from other coffee shops and they weren't as good. Since I didn't have money to fritter away on a daily latte habit I did some research on the Internet to find out how to make a Starbucks' knockoff.

After I found out all the stuff I would need and the time it would take to prepare, I decided to see if they sold latte machines. I came across Mr. Coffee's machine and after reading the great reviews I promptly purchased one. This is definitely the way to go; it is as easy as using a regular coffee machine, < 5 minutes to brew. It is also an attractive appliance that looks nice on my counter. It appears to be durable and easy to clean (doesn't bother me that I can't put in a dishwasher). I've been using it for three weeks now with no problems.

To ensure that I came as close as possible to replicating the taste of a Starbucks latte, I was sure to purchase quality ingredients and appliances. I used espresso beans from Costco that are roasted by Starbucks, Torani brand syrups, 2% milk, and raw sugar (my preference). Through my Internet research I found out that coffee grinders with burr blades grind consistently even granules, and that the beans should be ground just prior to brewing. I also bought an airtight non-transparent container to store the beans.

Here's how I made my lattes (IMO, tastes as good, if not better, than Starbucks):

Measurements for 8 oz. latte (can only make two cups at one time):
4 oz. milk, 4 oz. water, 3 tbs. finely ground beans, 2 tbs. syrup (my preference is one tbs. each hazelnut and vanilla), and 2 tsp. sugar.

Instructions (see manual for parts' list and assembly instructions):
1. Grind beans on espresso (extra fine) setting, place granules in filter, place filter in plastic basket, and then place basket in top part of machine.
2. Pour water in top part of machine (area to right of basket).
3. In glass carafe, add milk, syrup, and sugar. Attach lid with frothing wand to carafe.
4. Flick selector switch to café latte, and then press down on the on/off switch.
5. When the process is complete, the machine shuts off. Flip on/off switch up to remove carafe.
6. Pour liquid into cup and spoon foam on top. Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I've also made hot chocolate with this appliance using the heat and froth function, however, the milk does not foam up as much as it does when making lattes. To make a decadent hot chocolate, I recommend using Ghirardelli Premium Hot Cocoa with milk. Once you try it, you won't to go back to watery cocoa; I never have.

A latte when you wake up and hot chocolate before bed, life is sweet. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, August 15, 2013
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
This machine is so simple to use, uses regular (inexpensive) coffee (no K Cups or pods) and creates a delightful frothy foam. I've noticed several people complain that you cannot put the carafe in the dishwasher. While this is true, there is a very simple solution... After I am done making my coffee, and the pot is empty, I fill it with cool water and two drops of dish soap then I put it back into the machine and set it to "heat and froth" and the machine cleans itself. The little whisk in the machine beats the soap into a froth, getting the glass carafe and the whisk very clean. When it stops, just dump the contents in the sink and rinse and the pot looks brand new. I've made hundreds of cups of coffee with this machine and cleaned it this way every time, and my carafe and whisk are spotless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creates delicious coffee lattes; can be used to create tea lattes and hot chocolate also, October 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As soon as I received this, I put it into service and made a double serving of the basic cafe latte. It came out delicious with lots of foam. My boyfriend raved about the cafe latte; which is unusual for him. In fact, he raved about it even more than I did and I thought it was very good. We did not lack for froth--perhaps because I used skim milk which froths well. When the brewing cycle was complete, I just poured our drinks and used a spoon to scoop out copious amounts of froth on top of the drink.

What I love about this machine:
- This sleek black appliance is absolutely gorgeous and looks great on the counter.
- It froths very well if you use SKIM MILK.
- Operating the machine is easy. The unit also includes lines on the carafe and in the water reservoir for a single or double serving size. Just follow the recipe(s) and instructions that came with the book.
- The coffee basket is easily removable for washing.
- I can also make hot chocolate and tea lattes with this Mr. Coffee.
- It comes with a recipe pamphlet for 14 coffee lattes, 3 tea lattes, and 3 hot chocolates.

What I don't like:
- You can't submerge the carafe or carafe lid in water. This means you must be careful when washing this by hand. I don't use a dishwasher, but I can see where some might not like that the carafe and lid cannot be washed in a dishwasher.
- There are no instructions in the manual on how to use the heat/froth only button. I discovered that once the brew cycle was complete, if I wanted more heat and froth I had to turn the unit off after it finished brewing, put the button into the heat/froth only mode, and then turn it on again to get this part to operate. I didn't need to use this cycle at all but I wanted to see what would happen and how this cycle operated. I could see where this would come in handy if the latte had cooled for a while before pouring.
- I wish this Cafe Latte maker came with a reusable mesh basket instead of having to purchase a size 4 (Mr. Coffee brand recommended) basket-type coffee filter for this unit. I already own Mr. Coffee BVMC-FM1 20-Ounce Frappe Maker which comes with a reusable mesh basket. I wish the manufacturer had decided to supply a mesh insert for this unit instead of requiring paper filters. This is my biggest negative.
- Even if the brew basket is seated correctly inside the unit, once the latte cycle is complete and the carafe is removed, there was always a small amount of water that trickled down the base of the unit. I experienced this during all my brew cycles (3 in total) and the reservoir was not overfilled and the basket was seated as it should be.

Overall, I think this is a good machine for latte lovers. It's not as great as their frappe machine (which is a 5-start product), but it is still a quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good latte, needs permanent filter, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
I found this latte maker at Target and the first several times I made lattes, the paper filters fell inside and there were grounds in the coffee. From Amazon, I ordered the Mr. Coffee 6659 permanent 4 cup coffee filter, and it fits this machine perfectly. I recommend you use this or get larger paper filters, use more than one, and wet the sides before turning the machine on to keep them from falling in. The permanent filter works without the hassle and there are no more grounds in the coffee.

The whipping mechanism inside the pot produces a lot of foam. It also makes great hot chocolate. Don't have to worry about stirring or scalding milk in a pot on the stove. This maker is much easier to use. Makes it really hot too.

I don't mind that this doesn't go in the dishwasher since I use it almost every day and there are other appliances that I use regularly that cannot be put in the dishwasher. I clean it in a few seconds with a water/vinegar spray and then rinse with hot water. Just make sure there's no film build up on the bottom of the pot.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Excellent Until You Start Drinking The Melted Black Plastic, May 17, 2014
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)

At the bottom of the pot, the black plastic lining that is used for heating, near the hot froth maker, seems to have completely melted off or slowly been chipped away by heat from the froth maker (I will be making a video very soon - you can also view photos of this on the customer images). Knowing that I've been drinking plastic for the last couple of weeks is just really upsetting and scary. Cleaning didn't show me any wear and tear like this, and then I suddenly "chewed" my coffee :/. Wondering what I was chewing, I grabbed a piece of black tar like substance from my mouth, thinking it was just cooked milk or burned milk from the frother. But, it wasn't - it was straight up black plastic. I then scrubbed the bottom of the pot, and ran the machine with water only - realizing very small black pieces were lifting from the bottom as it was frothing. Very small - small enough to look like a few coffee grinds. I made a regular latte then filled it with water (the video shows the dark colored froth left over) and I could clearly see the floating black plastic. This scares me because I don't know how long I have been drinking plastic - the tiny black pieces of plastic are hard to see with milk or black coffee in the pot. When I went to dump the pot and clean it, it was very hard to tell that any plastic had even melted or chipped off at all. This just shows that this problem does not occur until the pot is in use. You won't see this while cleaning, and you especially won't see it with milk at the bottom of your pot!

Smaller problems I had with this latte maker was: (1) rusting (2) the quality and quantity of coffee brewed (3) the froth itself.

All the metal inside of the pot will rust quickly. The metal lining at the top of the pot, and the spinning froth maker inside of the pot. Even with proper cleaning and drying of the metal after every use, will not stop the metal from rusting. I would never leave any moisture, knowing it's metal of some sort - and yet, it still rusted. I'm not sure why.

After only a few weeks, the coffee grinds you use even when following the directions, won't be entirely used. It seems the water spout doesn't spread the water evenly throughout the coffee grind holder. I tried making all the coffee grinds sit as close to the water sprout so it would be used, making a good coffee - but after brewing, there were still untouched coffee grinds in the top. You'll want a couple tablespoons of coffee grinds more than the directions to make that latte taste right.

Those who are expecting real frothed milk may be sorely disappointed. The "froth" that the machine creates is not a real steamed milk that you would get in your coffee shop. The machine essentially whips milk with a "frother" until tiny bubbles are created.

In conclusion, I would not recommend this product, unless you want "lattes" that look a lot better than they taste, or quick rusting and deterioration of the machine, which you won't figure out until you accidentally drink plastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars It might not make a *true* latte, but it is a good cuppa joe, October 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Mr. Coffee Cafe Latte is about 14" in height, and solidly made - this is no lightweight machine, and the same goes for the carafe itself. The coffee basket (removable for washing) is in the top of the unit, just insert a filter (you get a few with the unit), the amount of ground coffee you want and water up to the fill line (it is hard to spot that line at first). Add milk to the carafe up to the fill line, twist the cover on, place it on the burner and push the start button - hands free from that point. If you were making cocoa or similar you would just mix what you want in the carafe and flip to heat and froth mode.

We brewed up to the max amount of coffee and milk along with some flavored cream and it produced enough to fill two twelve ounce cups. We used non-fat milk and ended up with a nice amount of foam to top them off. The unit turns off by itself when it is finished and your beverage is plenty hot so be careful if you're making cocoa for the kiddos.

A couple of things to consider prior to decide on whether to purchase or not:

1) the carafe has an electrical element and must be washed by hand. We did get a very small amount of burned milk at the bottom so you need to do a bit more than a quick rinse.

2) The coffee is brewed via drip method and not true espresso, nor is the milk actually *steamed*, so true espresso aficionados might turn their nose up at this product.

For anyone else wanting something easy to do at home and save the expense of a daily visit to the espresso stand this is a very viable option to consider. There's also a small recipe book for flavored lattes and other beverages. Must try the pumpkin spice latte soon. Now my big decision is whether to keep it at the office for a daily latte, or take home for a weekend treat only. The guys are hoping it stays here...

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Machine, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte (Kitchen)
Purchased the machine 45 days ago. At first, things seemed to be going well. Then, just last week it brewed coffee only when it felt like it. Now, the coffee brewing function will not work at all. You end up with some nice whipped milk but no coffee. The other problem is it takes an act of Congress to try and locate a repair center. You would figure that after paying $100, the machine would last longer than 45 days. Extremely disappointing experience overall.

Mr. Coffee BVMC-EL1 Cafe Latte