Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:17 Mins
I've been using a Keurig coffee maker for 3 or 4 years. It's just about the most convenient way to brew a fresh cup of coffee. It's never burnt tasting like coffee that's been sitting in a heated coffee pot for hours and it's always fresh.

Published 13 months ago by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars Never got a single cup of coffee out of it
Our Mr Coffee arrived as a replacement for our 4 year old Keurig. Right out of the box we noticed the 'Mr Coffee' etched logo was upside down. It wasn't a label so we couldn't fix it and we were going to have to live with it as is. It was definitely going to be a conversation starter!

Next and final problem was the coffee maker never stopped. By that I mean as...
Published 7 months ago by Edward M.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the benefits of a K-cup system for less money (but with less features) than a Keurig system, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG6-001 Single Serve Coffee Brewer Powered by Keurig Brewing Technology, Black (Kitchen)
Length:: 5:17 Mins

Mr Coffee has take the K-cup and made their own brewer around the Keurig technology. This is a simple to operate brewer that lacks some of the features that the Keurig brewer has, but really this lacks little in the coffee making department.

This brewer has a 40 ounce water reservoir with a nice handle built-in. The handle helps you to take the reservoir off the machine and to help you guide it back on the base. There is also a removable lid on the reservoir. I usually leave the reservoir on the machine and refill it by pouring water into it from the top. If you are worried about spiling water all over the place doing that, then it's also easy to remove the reservoir and fill it while it's sitting on the counter.

Mr. Coffee recommend you use bottled or filtered water but not distilled or reverse osmosis water (which removes important minerals that can add an important taste quality to the water). I use tap water but using tap water carries some risk of having the machine eventually get clogged up with mineral deposits. You can run vinegar through the machine every few months if you think that could be a problem.

When you turn the machine on the first time, a pump pulls water into the heating tank inside the unit. This takes a few minutes for it to reach temperature. After the first cup is brewed, the next cup will be ready to brew much more quickly.

The controls are relatively simple. There is an on/off/brew button. Below the on/off button is an LED light that indicates the machine is pre-heating. Once pre-heating has occurred, that light goes off and a light goes on around the on/button to indicate that you may now brew a cup of coffee. Below that are 3 -LEDs indicating brew size: either 6, 8 or 10 ounces. Brew size is selected by pushing button directly below the LED indicator lights.

Normally the mahine will stay on indefinitely unless you turn it off. However there is a "hidden" setting that will turn the brewer off after 2 hours of inactivity and that is set by simultaneously pressing the brew size button and the on/off button for about 5 seconds.

Another nice feature is the "inside-the-machine" power cord storage area. I do need to point out that the power cord length is pretty stingy at only 25" long. I can see where that might be a problem in some areas where you might be thinking of placing this.

I really enjoy the convenience of having freshly brewed coffee at a moments notice. It is my impression that the coffee from the Mr. Coffee brewer is a little hotter than the coffee from my Keurig brewer, though it's close. And if you don't wish to have the ongoing expense of buying K-cups, there is a solution for that too... you can get something called the "My K-Cup" Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter that allows you to use your own coffee in a reuseable coffee filter. It's a real money saver. There are other options too that some people prefer, like the ekobrew Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count

It's not quite perfect though. The cycle time between your ability to make the next cup of coffee is longer than with my Keurig. It takes about 30-40 seconds to brew a cup of coffee and then about a minute or so before you can begin to brew the next cup. Overall responsiveness of the brew button leaves something to be desired as sometimes when I press it, nothing happens.

I really like the ease of operation and appearance of the Mr. Coffee single cup coffee maker. It gets a lot of use in my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Impression is That it is Better Than Keurig, October 24, 2013
Conspicuous Consumer (Georgia Regents University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have purchased 12 Keurigs since they first came out and have been largely pleased with them but accepted that they only seem to last a couple of years (yes I turn them off when not in use and only use filtered water). So when the Keurig at the shop kitchen went out, I jumped at the chance to try out the cheaper and higher rated Mr. Coffee.

Despite what some others have reported, ours brewed a very hot, tasty cup of coffee quickly. The brewing process is much quieter than the Keurig, it completely heated the water before it began brewing, and it brewed more quickly than the Keurig.

I've seen reviews that faulted this pot because it turns off automatically after four hours but it does so to save energy and lengthen brewer life. Consumer Reports checked out brew temperature on multiple pots and found it to meet industry guidelines of 195 degrees.

Addendum: It's been 11 months and the pot is still working great. The latest CR review knocked this brewer because of the time it takes to brew the first cup. Kind of sad that that's a criteria when we are talking about seconds. Now I'm looking for replacements for two Keurigs that are both dying slow, loud deaths.

I replaced one of my ailing Keurigs with another Keurig model that looked the same as the one I was using but wasn't. I got it for half the retail price at Sam's Club Auctions and less than this Mr. Coffee is selling for. Everything that was metal on the original was now plastic. The plastic water reservoir had been redesigned such that it was harder for me to slide it in place and the plastic was thinner so that I couldn't easily carry it with one hand when it was full of water. I'd rather have paid more for the Mr. Coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides coffee equal in strength to that of Keurig brewers, June 23, 2013
After burning through two fairly high priced Keurig k-cup brewers, I looked around for a replacement by a different brand. "Mr. Coffee" has been around a long time and because they have established licensing for Keurig k-cup brewing and have marketed this model brewer at a much more reasonable price, I decided to try their product. I'm glad I did. Both Keurig products failed at the stage where hot water is to be pumped through the k-cup...they just failed to pump. (I use only filtered soft water in my brewers.) This unit has a pump for that stage of the brew cycle that sounds far more substantial than those in the previous Keurig product. It hasn't yet stood the test of time, but as of now I am extremely happy with the choice. The only complaint is with implementation of the loading mechanism: it feels flimsy when opened to remove/insert a k-cup. Also the water reservoir has lower capacity than the previous brewers I've owned. Otherwise I'm very happy with the brewer and would recommend it to friends without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Review, my first one was bad, June 27, 2013
12-23-13 Update:
The machine has been working fine. Still not the greatest Keurig brewer, but good enough. The footprint is smaller than the one I have at home, which is perfect for my office. It still has a bit of a drip after, but it is only 4-5 drops. Enough to be annoying, but as I said, customer service was AWESOME, and for me that counts for a lot! 4.5 stars.

7-19-13 Update:
So a couple of days after I set this up and started using it, it leaked....it could have been leaking the whole time and I did not notice it, because it was from the bottom and going behind it. A quick call to the company had me speaking to a very nice rep who informed me that there was something wrong with the machine. He emailed me an invoice a few minutes later and the next day emaailed me a UPS return label and another invoice saying that a new one shipped. I got the new one the day after UPS picked up the broken one! Now that's fast!!! I'm starting all over an will add to this review in a week to report on the new machine. I will state that the dripping at the end is just a couple of drops and totally acceptable. As for customer service, you couldn't ask for better. If this holds up, I will bump it to 5 stars. Give me a week or so to really put it through its paces.

Original Review:

I got this to use in my office, and remembering my old Mr. Coffee from (ehem) a long time ago, I had high expectations. Well, I was not disappointed. Set up is really simple. Fill up the reservoir (40 ounces) to the Max. line (be aware that there is still a lot of room for water, and I almost went past the line). Then attach the overflow tray. Plug it in. You are ready (the first time it takes a longer to prime, but afterwards it's pretty fast). Let it run through a cycle with just water to clean everything out. Then with the samples that come with this you are ready for your first cup. Like the other companies, the Mr. Coffee makes a cup fast. I like the Dunkin Donuts and Starbux (neither of which are included as samples).

You have three brewing choices, 6, 8 or 10 ounces. The water/coffee is hot. Water does not come out in a full stream. It has one stream, and then another stream that dribbles a bit. Also, another con is that you get a couple of drops of residual drip, which makes me wonder if this is normal for the machine, or just mine. My other machines (different brands) do not do this. Removing the reservoir requires a bit of effort, and at first I was afraid of breaking it. I also tried to fill it by just opening the top but I must have moved something and caused a lot of water to leak out (note to self, directions are there for a reason). With that said, the instruction book is great, as is the quick set-up guide. I think it is very nice of them to use a nice sized font that is legible without a magnifying glass! The auto off timer is nice, and can shut itself off after 2 hours.

This is easily a 4.5 star product. If not for the two little things I mentioned, I would have given it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Coffee Single Serve Coffee Brewer Powered by Keurig, July 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This makes a nice hot cup of coffee. Perfect!

I love the large reservoir as the last thing I want to play with in the morning is getting water into the coffee machine. The water lasts me for several cups before I need to refill it.

The machine fits well under my counter and doesn't take up a lot of space. My sister has a different machine and hers is HUGE! Hers is a bit more fancy (and costly) but honestly, I don't think the extra cost is worth it. This one costs much less and is a breeze to work. The coffee tastes wonderful.

These machines really make the morning coffee time so much easier.

- No mess and this can be used half asleep. So easy...
- Very quick brewing
- Perfect for the household who doesn't want to brew a big pot of coffee. Hot and fresh coffee for each cup!

1.0 out of 5 stars Never got a single cup of coffee out of it, February 10, 2014

Next and final problem was the coffee maker never stopped. By that I mean as we were brewing hot water to cleanse the unit; it never came out of brew mode. It would run out of water; we would fill it up and it would continue to brew. We tried everything, unplugging the unit; waiting 5 minutes and plugging it back in; Changing the cup size; Manually turning the unit off and on it simply didn't matter. It would just continually brew water! Even with top top raised.

Good thing we were paying attention otherwise we would have had hot water all over the place.

Too bad..we were hoping a name like Mr Coffee would be a somewhat quality product. Our advise is to stay away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG6-001 Single Serve Brewer vs. Breville BKC700XL Single Serve Coffee Maker, July 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using a Breville single serve coffee maker for almost 4 years now and it has been a fantastic coffee maker. It's still performing well after all these years and it probably gets used 5-6 times per day on average. So it was interesting to try this similar style coffee maker that is made by Mr. Coffee. Here are my thoughts when compared to my Breville machine.

Size

My Breville machine is much heavier and has a larger footprint. This Mr. Coffee machine is smaller and might be better for those that have limited countertop space. However the Breville brewer has a somewhat larger water reservoir which is nice so you don't have to fill the water quite as often. There are also differences in the brewing sizes. The Mr. Coffee brewer can brew 6, 8 or 10 ounce cups as a time. My Breville machine has better brewing sizes with 5.25, 7.25, 9.25, 11.25 ounce cups and it even has a 3.25 cup size that is especially for iced beverages. Most of the time I use the 11.25 ounce option on my Breville machine so the smaller 10 ounce size on the Mr. Coffee is just a little smaller than I am used to. I usually end up brewing two 6 ounce cups to make a larger cup.

Speed

When both machines are cold they take a similar amount of time to warm up before the first brew. They both take a little less than 2 minutes. If you are brewing back to back cups of coffee they will both take 30-45 seconds in-between brewing.

Options

My Breville machine has a lot of different options. It comes with a coffee scoop and a hidden compartment to hold it along with the washable my K-Cup that it comes with. The Mr. Coffee machine doesn't come with a coffee scoop, hidden compartment or washable my K-Cup. The Breville machine displays the time and has brew temperature settings and the Mr. Coffee machine doesn't have these options either.You can remove the drip tray and water reservoir with either one and place them in the dishwasher as needed. I would suggest using the air dry option so the heat doesn't damage any of the parts.

Quality

The Breville machine is mostly aluminum and chrome finish. It has an illuminated water reservoir and a large LCD screen. The water reservoir was a water replaceable water filter but the filters are expensive to buy all the time so I don't use them anymore. Instead I only pour filtered water into it so there is no need to filter it twice. The Mr. Coffee machine is made entirely of black and silver plastic. It looks nice as well but may not hold up quite as well over time and it doesn't have a filter at all. I would suggest using either bottled or filtered water when using brewing. It has a simple brew size selector and power button on the front.

Overall

I have owned several Mr. Coffee products and they have always been a good value and very reliable. I think this coffee maker is of good quality and a good value for the price. It just depends on how much you will use it and whether or not the extra money is worth it to you. The Breville is a nicer machine but you will have to pay a premium for the upgrades. The Breville is well over twice the price of this machine. We use it so much that I feel it's worth the extra investment for our household. However for the average household that makes a cup of two of coffee per day then the Mr. Coffee might very well be a wiser choice. I like both machines a lot in their own way so you will have to compare the options and price and make the decision that is right to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, September 13, 2013
Love the ease of using the K cups, but using fresh coffee in the filter device, is easy too.
To fill my Husband's travel cup, the 10 oz button doesn't come close to filling it..I usually use the same K cup, turn it, And run a 6 oz cup into it, then all is fine...just a tip that works for us...

4.0 out of 5 stars Couple of flaws but for the price..., July 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a branded Keurig which is a nice litmus test to compare to Mr Coffee's licensed Keurig brewer. As the Mr Coffee is considerably less expensive than the original model we purchased I won't go too hard on it (hence the four stars) but it does have some unnecessary minor quirks which prevents it being a five star product.

Firstly the power cable is woefully short. It folds away so you're not cluttering up the counter top but you will have to place it fairly close to your outlet or use an extension cord - which I wouldn't recommend in a kitchen. Not a deal breaker for sure, but surprising.

Second on the list is the layout and LED indicators, as they are quite lacking in both ease-of-use and operational information. Standard Keurigs have a lit LCD screen with tonnes of info but as this unit has no timer option I can understand not needing that. But all you get is an orange flashing LED which really doesn't tell you exactly what's going on (read the manual I hear you say? Who does that?!). Ultimately, whilst construction is very solid I would have like a cleaner more useful interface with the unit.

My final quibble is with the brew time. Keurigs suck up water as soon as the cup is poured so you're ready for the next cup immediately, but this unit seems to take about a minute between cups. Just something to note.

Again though, these are minor complaints on what is in all honesty excellent value for money. The water reservoir, whilst slightly smaller than standard, has a handle on it which is a nice addition and the product's footprint is ever so slightly smaller too.

So to sum up, people who have used branded Keurigs may be somewhat annoyed by the quirks, but in reality this is an excellent and inexpensive unit that serves K cups perfectly and looks and works great. Recommended - cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what you expect, November 17, 2013
MLB333 (New York, NY, US) - See all my reviews
The unit arrived and didn't work. Called company (not Amazon) and they shipped another unit and prepaid mailing to return unit that was not working. The new unit worked as expected. I like the dimensions of the unit and it is working well.

Rate and Discover Movies