on January 31, 2011
Verified Purchase
Added this carafe to my BVMC-SJX33GT. This coffee maker has a 12-cup capacity with it's included glass carafe or 8-cup with this thermal. The thermal carafe works quite well, keeping coffee warm for hours without tempering, longer and hotter if you rinse with some hot water first. I am very pleased with this product.
on September 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
I organize interview days for applicants to the medical school where I work. Coffee is one of the beverages we offer to both the applicants and the interviewers. I needed different size pots of coffee, that stayed hot all day, for different areas of the day's activities.

To accomplish this I purchased the Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Chrome, Chrome, and added this Carafe and the Zojirushi 2.45-Liter Brew-Thru Air Pot, Polished Stainless Steel, all from Amazon. I needed to be able to brew both 12 and 8 cup pots of coffee and put into different size carafes for serving.

They fit the bill perfectly! How I work my coffee system:
- I ran 8 cups of water through the coffee maker, poured into this carafe to pre-warm.
- Brewed 8 cups of coffee into the glass carafe that came with the coffee maker, poured hot water into hot-pot to pre-warm and put coffee into now warm Mr. Coffee stainless steel carafe.
- Brewed 12 cups of coffee, when ready poured hot water from hot-pot back into reservoir of coffee maker & filled with hot coffee.
- Brewed another 8 cups of coffee to finish filling the hot-pot.

Both this product, the Mr. Coffee 8 cup stainless steel thermal carafe and the Zojirushi kept our coffee hot, not just warm, for the entire day. Our cool weather is just starting, so we haven't needed to brew additional coffee and both carafes had a bit of coffee left to sample after 10 hours in the pots. We were very pleased with the results and would recommend without reservation.

This pot is simple to use, attractive and arrived very well packaged. No cons. Please note that any hot beverage thermal carafe needs pre-warming, otherwise you're using the heat of your beverage to warm the container and that shortens the time the beverage stays warm.
on February 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
For this thermal carafe to work properly, instructions tell you that you have to pour very hot water into it first, and let it sit 5 minutes (!) to "prewarm" it. That's because the accompanying Mr. Coffee coffeemaker is geared to work differently with the thermal carage, shutting off the heatplate once coffee is done. So the prewarming is the ONLY assurance that your coffee stays hot. My question is, when you want that coffee first thing in the morning, who's going to spend an extra 5" prewarming the vessel? A second problem is that it is very difficult to pour coffee out of the thermal carafe because its opening (again, to conserve warmth) is only a tiny rectangle. We often couldn't tolerate the slow drizzling that took so long to fill our cups, and often instead unscrewed the whole top lid to pour a quick cup...thereby defeating the warming function. So unless you're willing to do the prewarming thing as well as the drizzle pour, this item is not of the greatest value for people-who-want-their-coffee-and-want-it-now. We see the thermal carafe's only real value as a substitute for tiding us over when we eventually--but predictably--break the glass carafe that came with the coffeemaker.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
The caraffe works great and the coffee maker automatically shuts off when brewing is done when this caraffe is in place. Coffee gets "cool" after a couple of hours, but note that I like my coffee very hot so it is probably still warm enough for most.
on April 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
I own the Mr. Coffee pot that takes both the thermal and glass. This is great pot and it keeps the coffe hot for hours.
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2011
***Final update, January 24th, 2012:
Fellow customers, I have gone back and forth on this one, and I apologize for confusion. After owning this for a while, my wife and I really enjoy it and would replace it if we lost it. But being that it is made of metal, I probably won't be destroying it like I do the glass ones before the morning's first cup.

We only use this for coffee, having given up on tea because the gaskets retain the coffee smell, but for this use, it is wonderful, and the carafe deserves four stars. Cheers!

***Added section (12/11/11):
What I wrote in my original review still holds; however, I've decided to downgrade my rating to 3-stars after discovering another "hidden" gasket just inside the top of the carafe. Whether it traps water droplets like the gasket around the lid, I cannot tell, as I can't see it. All I know is that the only way to get it out seems to be by removing the handle assembly.

I found this other gasket by smelling it. We had hoped to use this carafe for both tea and coffee, but the gasket inside the rim of the carafe retains the odor of coffee too strongly. It only slightly affects the flavor of tea that pours past it, but the lingering smell of old coffee, when you want to get a good waft of fresh brewed tea, does spoil the tea-drinking experience, especially if setting the carafe out for guests.

I'm not sure why the carafe needs this gasket AND the one that was already on the lid. I think better design, and maybe better fitting plastic parts, could have eliminated at least one of the gaskets.

Also, I do see now how other reviewers are concerned about pouring; though we haven't had dripping issues, the carafe does have to be turned almost upside-down to pour out the last half-cup.

***Original review begins:

This carafe keeps coffee close to scalding hot for about an hour, and pleasantly warm for another hour. It is well made with a good finish and a tight lid. If you line up the arrows on the lid and handle properly, it pours just right and does not dribble.

Ours never feels hot on the outside, just a little warmer than room temperature, even when we pour in boiling water from our tea kettle. There is a note in the instructions to heat the carafe with hot water for a few minutes "to ensure maximum heat retention," but we don't see any need.

Note that we use this carafe for our ceramic coffee cone, which sits quite securely on top of the carafe.

I'm taking off one star because the little silicone gasket on the lid traps a few drops of water underneath, which I consider a bit unsanitary as bacteria or mold can form there. If the gasket could easily be removed, fine, but you must very, very carefully lift it off with something thin and flat, say the handle tip of a fork or spoon; otherwise, the gasket could tear. We took the gasket off, put it aside, and now use the carafe without the gasket. I don't see any difference in pouring or heat retention, but I guess hot coffee could possibly slosh out the slots on the lid if you swirl or shake the carafe hard. (But why would you?)

We are super happy with this carafe, which we bought after yours-truly dropped two glass ones on the tile floor within a three month span of pre-dawn coffee brewing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
There must have been a manufacturing change since earlier reviewers. This does not keep coffee warm, in fact you can feel the heat of the coffee through the wall of the pot. Also, it dribbles coffee and if you try to unscrew the top to get a faster flow, the top falls off.

Bought it to use with the Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT and on the positive side it looks great, and works fine with the BVMC-SJX33GT which automatically senses whether this or the glass carafe is on the warmer. But if you want to keep warm coffee for another cup mid-morning, you would be better off with something like a Nissan Thermos, which, although more expensive, will keep the coffee warm until Noon. Too bad because the Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT looks great on the counter with the DRD95 in place.
on January 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
This carafe allows me to make a pot of coffee before my guests arrive and then a second one which keeps warm on the coffee maker. I am able to easily handle eight guests this way without having to wait for that second pot to brew.
on September 19, 2012
I purchased this thermal pot because the Mr. Coffee maker that it works with is terrible at keeping coffee warm, even with a hot place. It does better at that but you have to practically turn the pot upside down to get all the coffee out of it. The lid also doesn't have enough threading. In other words, if you don't unscrew it enough the coffee doesn't come out, if you unscrew it too much it falls off when you pour. The space between those two points is small, so its hard to get it right.

Also, I wasn't thrilled that I had to pre-warm it but I realize that you have to do that with most thermal pots. It doesn't keep coffee warm for as long as you would think either. Maybe 3 hours. A thermal pot should be able to do more than that. I've had other thermal containers that keep things warm for 5-6 hours minimally.
on April 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought the coffee maker and the carafe at the same time. Could not get the coffee to stop tasting like plastic. Ran 10 full pots of water only and it still tasted like plastic. Sent the whole mess back for a refund.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations