4.0 out of 5 stars Green alternative to paper but overpriced
This filter came free with my new Mr. Coffee. Walmart sells coffee filters 100/$1, that's about 500 to 1000 paper filters depending on your final cost for this filter. I've used a similar one before. It can last over 5 years, and it usually dies when the mesh cracks from age and repeated use.

Pros

It makes a slightly stronger brew because the...
Published on April 6, 2010 by James Q. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars mr coffee gold tone
Published on May 7, 2009 by B. Lafferty

4.0 out of 5 stars Green alternative to paper but overpriced, April 6, 2010
This review is from: Mr. Coffee GTF2-1 Basket-Style Gold Tone Permanent Filter (Kitchen)

Pros

It makes a slightly stronger brew because the filter allows more oils through and in the longer run, one saves buying paper filters. Its greener to use it, since its less paper and trash for land fills.

It has a flat plastic sealed bottom, so the coffee is forced to strain to the sides, slowing the transit of hot water through the grinds like that of a paper filter.

Cons

Cleaning. You'll use water, time and effort rinsing this filter, after tapping out the grinds.

Less grinds. The filter is smaller than the removable cup so it has less volume as a paper filter. Using 4 measures of ground coffee cause my grinds to overflow past the plastic filter and into my coffee pot.

To clean it easier, I leave the grounds in the filter to dry out. I tap the inverted filter directly on a trash can or plate, and nearly all comes off as a lump or flakes out. You can wash off the rest. Its not any more a problem that cleaning a french press.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Advertised, February 6, 2007
Charles Sullivan (Burlington, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This definitely improves the taste of the coffee. I've always heard that traditional filters suck up some of the flavoring oils from the coffee, but after trying this I am convinced. I have a 10-cup Mr Coffee, and it fits perfectly -- almost as if this filter were made for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid bottom is the key, December 1, 2011
Pipigurl (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I got this metal filter for my Mr. Coffee JWX27-NPA 12-Cup Progammable Coffeemaker, Black because my environmentally-conscious husband doesn't want to use paper filters ever again. It brews a slightly weaker coffee than a paper filter and leaves a little sludge at the bottom of the pot but it's not a big deal. I just add 1 more tablespoon of coffee and drink the grit. haha

I've read complaints about this filter's solid plastic bottom. I found that this is actually better than a wire-mesh bottom because water doesn't pass through as quickly, resulting in a stronger brew. I have tried one all BF215 8-12 cup Permanent Basket-style Coffee Filter and it is exactly similar to this one except for its wire-mesh bottom. The resulting brew is very bland because water passes through the sides and the bottom too fast.

On weekends my husband and I brew 10-12 cups of coffee and we've never experienced an overflow. As mentioned by another reviewer, those having that problem probably need to decalcify their coffeemakers.

Tip: This filter sells at Target for only $5.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for the home, wallet, and the earth, December 30, 2008
This makes delicious coffee. I was skeptical that I would have plasticy or metallic tasting coffee with a metal basket, but my coffee has never had such a warm woody taste since I started using the basket. cleaning is a little hard since I have to spray all the coffee out of it with the faucet hose, but it is worth the landfull space for me to spray a little bit. also keeps from filling my valuable cabinet space with a huge box of filters, and not to mention the hassle of separating them every time I want a fresh pot!
this filter is magnificent, and much better than the cheaper ones which my friends have gotten and had metallic tasting coffee.

3.0 out of 5 stars mr coffee gold tone, May 7, 2009
The service was good, prompt and communication was also good about the shipping. The filter works well. we were hoping for a filter that had mesh on the bottom of the filter as well as the sides. We couldn't tell from the photo if that was the case. The filter does have a solid plastic bottom so we were a bit disappointed. The filter does fit our Mr Coffee coffee maker and that is the important piece. We are satisfied with our purchase though not delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Filter!, December 10, 2007
This is a great filter! I've had it for about a year, and use it at least once a day. I wash it by hand most days (which is very easy to do) and wash it in the dishwasher about once every two weeks, and it's still in great condition. The mesh basket drips well, and yet I have never had a coffee ground in my cup since using this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Solid Plastic Bottom Causes Flooding!, May 5, 2011
Thought this would work properly in my Mr. Coffee coffee maker, but I was wrong! The basket, due to its solid plastic bottom, can't filter fast enough to keep up with the incoming hot water, so the coffee grounds float over the top and go unfiltered into the coffee pot, and the kitchen counter. What a mess!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the 8-cup Mr. Coffee Thermal Carafe Coffeemaker, July 17, 2011
The specifications on Amazon don't say, so I took a risk. It fits just right. New, so I can't comment on durability. Convenient - I just wash the coffee grounds down the garbage disposal with a sprayer and re-insert, leaving me without a mess of grounds in the trash, plus I get to feel eco-conscious (though I wonder how many paper coffee filters you have to use to account for the increased manufacturing impact of this metal and plastic filter?)

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT filter, November 3, 2011
Paul H. (Niagara Falls, NY) - See all my reviews
I have read many reviews on permanent coffee filters, and decided to buy this one on Amazon. It is a great filter.

I was trying paper filters, but they kept collapsing, and I would get lots of coffee grounds in my coffee. The manufacturer said if the paper filter's wall collapses, just wet it down. I tried that as well, but they just wouldn't stay up. It got mighty frustrating, especially after losing a few pots of coffee because there was so much coffee grounds in the pot.

I then bought this filter, and put in the usual number of scoops. The coffee tasted remarkably better using this permanent filter, than a paper filter. I really could tell the difference. It was much more full-bodied. Drinking coffee using a paper filter made the coffee taste flat. I heard many people say the paper filters don't let the coffee oils pass through, but the permanent filters will, and I'm convinced that's why my coffee tastes so much better now.

I really would recommend this filter. Some people don't like that the bottom is plastic, and the walls are mesh, but I like that design. It just gives it more stability.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not picture shown, January 13, 2011
This product is not as displayed, they took the picture straight from mr coffee web site yet the bottom of the cup is made of solid plastic. In the picture if u look close you can see the bottom does have a shadow of the wire mesh. But the cups bottom is complete plastic. just buy it from mr coffe web site

Mr. Coffee GTF2-1 Basket-Style Gold Tone Permanent Filter